» «
Photo

[IV/WIP] Ambient Fire Inspector

46 replies to this topic
Prof_Farnsworth
  • Prof_Farnsworth

Ambient Modder

• Members

Posted 29 March 2011 - 04:01 AM Edited by Prof_Farnsworth, 06 April 2012 - 05:25 PM.

2.0 Update:

-Added voice and helmets to the firemen, random components for the chief
-Water cannon effect is now in place (Big thanks to Mr. Mysterious from LCPDFR team). It does not always aim directly at the fire, but sprays the

surrounding area.

-Corrected more random event bugs

UPDATE Version 1.3: Fixed many script errors from numerous causes.

UPDATED V1.2

-fixed an annoying crash when multiple fire trucks explode consecutively. (awaiting approval)

UPDATED V1.1

BUGS FIXED: Fixed many of the script errors caused by the player dying or leaving the scene of the fire quickly.

After getting back into GTA IV with all of the mods here over the last month, I thought I should share whatever I could. I wanted to add firetrucks to ambient gameplay, sort of like ambulances are now.

This is my first mod, so there may be bugs I still have not discovered. Please leave feedback, comments, crits.

Thanks go out to those who made modding GTA IV possible, and all who have posted the great work here.

AMBIENT FIRE INSPECTION v1.0 by Prof_Farnsworth

FEATURES: Any car fire near the player will cause a firetruck to respond to the scene, investigate (look around, take pictures) and

clean up (sweep) the area. The fire will also be extinguished (I have NOT gotten the water cannon to work, fire is put out after

inspection complete). They will then return to a fire department unless there is another fire.

INSTALLATION: Make sure your GTA IV is moddable (scripthook.net, asi loader, etc).

Place "FirePatrol.net" into the "scripts" folder in the root GTA IV directory.

Play. (You can confirm the script has been loaded if the "emergency" script has been loaded in the scripthook console (default key
(~)).

Tested on GTA IV version 1.0.7 with Scripthook.net 1.7.1.7, scripthook.dll 0.5.1, and latest xliveless (0.99)

KNOWN BUGS: -Occasionally firemen will do their animation while lying on the ground (looks odd)

-Firetruck has a tendency to get stuck (Game AI). Leaving the area or blowing up the truck will correct the problem.

COPYRIGHT: Please do not upload this mod anywhere else. If you use this mod in one of your own, please be kind enough to give credit.

Enjoy

Cpl.Dunn
  • Cpl.Dunn

LCPDFR Moderation Supervisor

• Members

Posted 29 March 2011 - 01:37 PM

Looks amazing, going to test it as soon as i get IV running.

gorgonut
  • gorgonut

Snitch

• Members

Posted 01 April 2011 - 04:05 PM

Couldn't get it to work with EFLC v. 1.0.2. Everytime a vehicle got on fire the game frozed... blush.gif

Prof_Farnsworth
  • Prof_Farnsworth

Ambient Modder

• Members

Posted 02 April 2011 - 04:14 PM

@Cpl.Dunn - Thanks for the vote of confidence. I hope you enjoy it. Be sure to get the update as it fixes some annoying script crashes.

@gorgonut - I would imagine it is a model conflict. If someone could give me the names of the model's used for fire in the DLC's (as I do not have them on PC), I could probably make a version for TLAD and TBOGT.

chasez
  • chasez

GTAV? Haven't played it!

• Members
  • None

Posted 02 April 2011 - 05:48 PM

Where can we dl v1.1?

nkjellman
  • nkjellman

Boss

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 03 April 2011 - 01:41 AM

Nice work. Rockstar should of put this in to the game in the first place. When ever your car is on fire it somtimes takes a while to explode and no fire truck. They dont come often. You should make the fire department come when places explode or are destroyed during the campain.

Prof_Farnsworth
  • Prof_Farnsworth

Ambient Modder

• Members

Posted 03 April 2011 - 01:41 AM Edited by Prof_Farnsworth, 03 April 2011 - 01:49 AM.

@chasez - In the first post links to all versions can be found. 1.2 should be there soon. (simple script error fixes)

@nkjellman - Thanks a lot. I'm glad you like it.

When ever your car is on fire it somtimes takes a while to explode and no fire truck.

Do you mean with the mod or without? In my game, they come to every car fire, just after it is set on fire (does not have to explode, just be on fire), as that is how the script is written. I was thinking of only making them come to a percentage of fires though, so they wouldn't come all the time, but am undecided. As for the campaign explosions, I can't remember how many there are, but it may be more trouble than it is worth.

nkjellman
  • nkjellman

Boss

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 03 April 2011 - 02:29 AM

Yes I was talking about normaly.

Cpl.Dunn
  • Cpl.Dunn

LCPDFR Moderation Supervisor

• Members

Posted 03 April 2011 - 09:48 AM

Alright, i have tested this and all i can say is that i love this mod. Brings little more realism again. Altho, this mod can be kinda hilarious. There was a huge pileup of cars and one of the cars was on fire. Firetruck responded and drove at full speed right into the burning car and exploded. Every single car in the pile up blew up after that, one by one. biggrin.gif

gorgonut
  • gorgonut

Snitch

• Members

Posted 03 April 2011 - 01:04 PM

"names of the model's used for fire in the DLC's"
Sorry but I didn't understand what DLC means. Please explain and I ll help if I can. By the way neither the v.1.1 was compatible with EFLC although other mods which are compatible with GTA IV v. 1.0.7 work with EFLC v.1.0.2 too. Don't know why since am I not in the codes modding bussiness.
Thanks

Prof_Farnsworth
  • Prof_Farnsworth

Ambient Modder

• Members

Posted 03 April 2011 - 01:19 PM

Alright, i have tested this and all i can say is that i love this mod. Brings little more realism again. Altho, this mod can be kinda hilarious. There was a huge pileup of cars and one of the cars was on fire. Firetruck responded and drove at full speed right into the burning car and exploded. Every single car in the pile up blew up after that, one by one. biggrin.gif

haha, thanks Cpl. Glad you like it. My choice was either have them drive right into it sometimes, or have them stop too far away most of the time, it can be quite hilarious when the first disappears and more come to blow up as well (reason for 3rd update so quick that_guy2057_evilgrin.gif ).

"names of the model's used for fire in the DLC's"
Sorry but I didn't understand what DLC means. Please explain and I ll help if I can. By the way neither the v.1.1 was compatible with EFLC although other mods which are compatible with GTA IV v. 1.0.7 work with EFLC v.1.0.2 too. Don't know why since am I not in the codes modding bussiness.
Thanks

Apologies, what I meant was are the model names for the firemen and firetruck different in EFLC (DLC) than in GTA IV? I would think they would be the same, which makes it odd that it is freezing. I have had plenty of script errors, but never a freeze or crash using this mod. If you know anyone else with EFLC, maybe they could test it for you.

gorgonut
  • gorgonut

Snitch

• Members

Posted 03 April 2011 - 01:51 PM

Yes the names are the same (only some new vehicles are availiable in TLAD and TBoGT). Furthermore I ve tested it in ruiner which is common for both GTA IV and EFLC. I ll keep testing the new versions of your mod and report back. monocle.gif

Prof_Farnsworth
  • Prof_Farnsworth

Ambient Modder

• Members

Posted 03 April 2011 - 08:34 PM

QUOTE (gorgonut @ Apr 3 2011, 13:51)
Yes the names are the same (only some new vehicles are availiable in TLAD and TBoGT). Furthermore I ve tested it in ruiner which is common for both GTA IV and EFLC. I ll keep testing the new versions of your mod and report back. monocle.gif

Only the names of the firetruck and fireman models being different would cause a problem, not the car that is on fire. It is irrelevant, as any vehicle on fire should dispatch the truck. I am not sure of any reason it would be freezing with no script errors present.

Please post you .asi loader and version, scripthook.net version and c++ version(just for completeness's sake).

gorgonut
  • gorgonut

Snitch

• Members

Posted 03 April 2011 - 09:32 PM

I see what you mean. Well, the firetruck and fireman/firechief names are the same for both games. In fact EFLC has the same vehicles.img, componentpeds.img and pedprops.img with GTA IV plus some more stored in different archives for TLAD and TBoGT. So as you explain it I don't understand either why the game is freezing. I am using all the tools (asi loader, scripthook, etc) for GTA IV 1.0.7 and EFLC 1.0.2. But it doesn't matter because I tried also the ones you suggest (Scripthook.net 1.7.1.7, scripthook.dll 0.5.1) and the result was the same mercie_blink.gif Thanks for the effort anyway. Anyone else tested with EFLC?

Prof_Farnsworth
  • Prof_Farnsworth

Ambient Modder

• Members

Posted 04 April 2011 - 01:51 AM

QUOTE (gorgonut @ Apr 3 2011, 21:32)
I see what you mean. Well, the firetruck and fireman/firechief names are the same for both games. In fact EFLC has the same vehicles.img, componentpeds.img and pedprops.img with GTA IV plus some more stored in different archives for TLAD and TBoGT. So as you explain it I don't understand either why the game is freezing. I am using all the tools (asi loader, scripthook, etc) for GTA IV 1.0.7 and EFLC 1.0.2. But it doesn't matter because I tried also the ones you suggest (Scripthook.net 1.7.1.7, scripthook.dll 0.5.1) and the result was the same mercie_blink.gif Thanks for the effort anyway. Anyone else tested with EFLC?

Bizarre, sorry I couldn't be of more help. Please let me know if you solve the problem or find the probable cause.

chasez
  • chasez

GTAV? Haven't played it!

• Members
  • None

Posted 04 April 2011 - 10:31 AM

I play only with EFLC and nothing like that happens to me.

Just seems funny that when the firemen arrive they sweep the area with broom although the burning car is right next to them. Is that what they acctualy do with this script or do they extinguish the fire with water too?

Prof_Farnsworth
  • Prof_Farnsworth

Ambient Modder

• Members

Posted 04 April 2011 - 07:22 PM

QUOTE (chasez @ Apr 4 2011, 10:31)
I see what you mean. Well, the firetruck and fireman/firechief names are the same for both games. In fact EFLC has the same vehicles.img, componentpeds.img and pedprops.img with GTA IV plus some more stored in different archives for TLAD and TBoGT. So as you explain it I don't understand either why the game is freezing. I am using all the tools (asi loader, scripthook, etc) for GTA IV 1.0.7 and EFLC 1.0.2. But it doesn't matter because I tried also the ones you suggest (Scripthook.net 1.7.1.7, scripthook.dll 0.5.1) and the result was the same mercie_blink.gif   Thanks for the effort anyway. Anyone else tested with EFLC?

Just seems funny that when the firemen arrive they sweep the area with broom although the burning car is right next to them. Is that what they acctualy do with this script or do they extinguish the fire with water too?

Yeah, as I say in the description, everything I tried to get the water cannon to fire would not work. The guys at LCPDFR have got it working, it will be in there next release, but I have no idea how, probably using their custom "advanced hook". I still wanted firetrucks when not using LCPDFR though.

The only other animation I could find with water was the watering can, which wouldn't really be appropriate here. The other tool and digging animations were not very long or as convincing, so I felt this fit best. If I ever figure out how to have the AI fire the cannon, or use an extinguisher without affecting other weapons, I will update the mod.

Thanks for the info on EFLC as well, it seemed very odd that this mod would freeze the game.

gorgonut
  • gorgonut

Snitch

• Members

Posted 04 April 2011 - 09:44 PM

Thanks too for the info. The only thing that I am thinking then is that it might interfere with onother mod... mercie_blink.gif
I ll wait to try v. 1.2

chasez
  • chasez

GTAV? Haven't played it!

• Members
  • None

Posted 05 April 2011 - 02:22 AM Edited by chasez, 05 April 2011 - 02:40 AM.

QUOTE (Prof_Farnsworth @ Apr 4 2011, 19:22)
QUOTE (chasez @ Apr 4 2011, 10:31)
I see what you mean. Well, the firetruck and fireman/firechief names are the same for both games. In fact EFLC has the same vehicles.img, componentpeds.img and pedprops.img with GTA IV plus some more stored in different archives for TLAD and TBoGT. So as you explain it I don't understand either why the game is freezing. I am using all the tools (asi loader, scripthook, etc) for GTA IV 1.0.7 and EFLC 1.0.2. But it doesn't matter because I tried also the ones you suggest (Scripthook.net 1.7.1.7, scripthook.dll 0.5.1) and the result was the same mercie_blink.gif   Thanks for the effort anyway. Anyone else tested with EFLC?

Yeah, as I say in the description, everything I tried to get the water cannon to fire would not work. The guys at LCPDFR have got it working, it will be in there next release, but I have no idea how, probably using their custom "advanced hook". I still wanted firetrucks when not using LCPDFR though.

The only other animation I could find with water was the watering can, which wouldn't really be appropriate here. The other tool and digging animations were not very long or as convincing, so I felt this fit best. If I ever figure out how to have the AI fire the cannon, or use an extinguisher without affecting other weapons, I will update the mod.

Thanks for the info on EFLC as well, it seemed very odd that this mod would freeze the game.

Ok, cool smile.gif I love this script, keep up the good work. I wonder if it could be possible to make 2 firetrucks to respond. One seems to be not enough for city like this biggrin.gif lol

btw the script doesn't freeze the game (EFLC in this case) but the script failed a few times on MP and one time on SP. I wouldn't care much about if it works on MP but if it will start to act crazy on SP then I'm going to cry because I don't want to go back to IV biggrin.gif lol I hope it was just one time.

QUOTE (gorgonout @ Apr 4 2011, 21:44)
Thanks too for the info. The only thing that I am thinking then is that it might interfere with onother mod... mercie_blink.gif
I ll wait to try v. 1.2

Actually, any mod could crash your game. All of the scripts make demand to the game to do something forcefully, if you have a low end pc the game can't handle the amount of demands. I think you gotta have a good cpu to avoid freezing caused by scripts.

Prof_Farnsworth
  • Prof_Farnsworth

Ambient Modder

• Members

Posted 05 April 2011 - 02:07 PM

Ok, cool smile.gif I love this script, keep up the good work. I wonder if it could be possible to make 2 firetrucks to respond. One seems to be not enough for city like this biggrin.gif lol

btw the script doesn't freeze the game (EFLC in this case) but the script failed a few times on MP and one time on SP. I wouldn't care much about if it works on MP but if it will start to act crazy on SP then I'm going to cry because I don't want to go back to IV biggrin.gif lol I hope it was just one time.

@chasez - Thanks, I'm glad you enjoy it. I tried putting two firetrucks in, but the code got very messy, so I may release another script that will add another truck (I don't know how to use multiple scripts in one mod yet blush.gif blush.gif blush.gif haven't been doing this long)

If you could include the function call and error (maybe a screen from the console when you get a crash) I would appreciate it very much. I have only been able to make it crash once since v1.2.

Actually, any mod could crash your game. All of the scripts make demand to the game to do something forcefully, if you have a low end pc the game can't handle the amount of demands. I think you gotta have a good cpu to avoid freezing caused by scripts.

This script is only called every 5 seconds, so not too demanding, but it does call a fair amount of stuff, so chasez could be right here.

chasez
  • chasez

GTAV? Haven't played it!

• Members
  • None

Posted 05 April 2011 - 06:07 PM

QUOTE (Prof_Farnsworth @ Apr 5 2011, 14:07)
@chasez - Thanks, I'm glad you enjoy it. I tried putting two firetrucks in, but the code got very messy, so I may release another script that will add another truck (I don't know how to use multiple scripts in one mod yet blush.gif blush.gif blush.gif haven't been doing this long)

If you could include the function call and error (maybe a screen from the console when you get a crash) I would appreciate it very much. I have only been able to make it crash once since v1.2.

I'll try to make a screen next time I'll get the error. Btw I was watching a youtube video with an FDNY truck and was wondering if the sirens could be changable too. Like when they're driving to the scene the siren sounds changes. Well maybe too much asked biggrin.gif lol

anyway you're doing really great with your mods smile.gif

gorgonut
  • gorgonut

Snitch

• Members

Posted 05 April 2011 - 10:04 PM Edited by gorgonut, 05 April 2011 - 10:28 PM.

Well, what chasez suggested might be an answer, but my pc's cpu and the graphics card are quite strong. I have the mod with maximum peds and cars though (popcycle.dat at maximum) plus a couple of traffic flow mods (so that the game doesn't spawns only taxi cars). I don't know if that caused the trouble. I ll check it.
With v.1.2 of the mod I got it to work for once with no trouble (even working with ambient wars mod which had a lot of explosions) but the next times it froze again... panic.gif
The mod is very nice. I liked a lot the fireman who was taking photos of the scene, and the firechief. Hope that you can make it with the water canon in a next release. Good work! icon14.gif

Prof_Farnsworth
  • Prof_Farnsworth

Ambient Modder

• Members

Posted 20 April 2011 - 09:12 PM

QUOTE (gorgonut @ Apr 5 2011, 22:04)
Well, what chasez suggested might be an answer, but my pc's cpu and the graphics card are quite strong. I have the mod with maximum peds and cars though (popcycle.dat at maximum) plus a couple of traffic flow mods (so that the game doesn't spawns only taxi cars). I don't know if that caused the trouble. I ll check it.
With v.1.2 of the mod I got it to work for once with no trouble (even working with ambient wars mod which had a lot of explosions) but the next times it froze again... panic.gif
The mod is very nice. I liked a lot the fireman who was taking photos of the scene, and the firechief. Hope that you can make it with the water canon in a next release. Good work!  icon14.gif

Alright, I have been able to make it crash while testing my new mod. It seems to happen when the fire script calls a vehicle that is used by another script.

@gorgonut - Have you tried using it without traffic flow yet, as I am using v5 and am not sure if it is related.

Thanks

edit: apologies for the 2 week bump, trying to solve this.

gorgonut
  • gorgonut

Snitch

• Members

Posted 22 April 2011 - 02:35 AM

Infact I did. I removed both the traffic corection scripts (Trafficmaker and Trafficfix) I use but the problem is the same. The game is freezing everytime a car explodes (or a message which says that there is an error in the emergency mod is appearing). I don't get it how it worked the one and only time it worked for me...
Good luck with the project. Hope to find out the solution soon
and Happy Easter to everybody!

Prof_Farnsworth
  • Prof_Farnsworth

Ambient Modder

• Members

Posted 23 April 2011 - 09:17 AM

That is odd. I would have to assume it is conflicting with another mod you use. I have found Traffic Flow to be the cause. If I have that script in, the game will crash without fail whenever the firetruck is called. I am looking into a solution to make it work which, hopefully, will fix your issue as well gorgonut.

I have already fixed a lot of the script errors that were in the previous version, but am holding off releasing it until I figure this conflict out.

Prof_Farnsworth
  • Prof_Farnsworth

Ambient Modder

• Members

Posted 17 May 2011 - 01:54 PM

UPDATE Version 1.3: Fixed many script errors from numerous causes.

WhiteGoblin
  • WhiteGoblin

I am one with the net

• Members

Posted 19 May 2011 - 09:48 PM Edited by WhiteGoblin, 19 May 2011 - 09:57 PM.

I just wanted to comment how much I've really enjoyed this, it really makes for a much more realistic environment all around. I love seeing the fire department show up and it's always an interesting moment inside a shootout with the trucks rolling up an firemen hopping out. It's an interesting mental effect that maybe some of us just appreciate or apply a different social standard to firemen then that of say the cops shooting at you in the game or trying to haul your ass off to the can but I actually try to avoid harming them at all costs. Clean up crew with the brooms are out trying to put the street back together meanwhile I'm missing perfectly good kill shots from people running around next to them. lol.gif

In future versions I thought it would be neat to see a medical guy hop off the truck if there's still injured running around in the middle of or directly after a shootout. I could see it becoming a really neat variable if you had the cops on the other side of the street using their car for coverage then somebody runs over starts healing them. (or better yet, starts healing you) I'd also like to see a different guy pop out if there's burned bodies on the ground as well as cars. I'm not entirely sure that's easily done but there's a different HazMat team/guy that might show up in real life so it could be pretty neat to see a different model run out. Though thinking through all that they might be better tackled more with a whole different "Active Medic" or "Forensic" themed modification instead of polluting this one with them. biggrin.gif

Anyways thank you again for all your time & work, love all the mods!

'Goblin

Prof_Farnsworth
  • Prof_Farnsworth

Ambient Modder

• Members

Posted 22 May 2011 - 03:24 AM

In future versions I thought it would be neat to see a medical guy hop off the truck if there's still injured running around in the middle of or directly after a shootout. I could see it becoming a really neat variable if you had the cops on the other side of the street using their car for coverage then somebody runs over starts healing them. (or better yet, starts healing you) I'd also like to see a different guy pop out if there's burned bodies on the ground as well as cars. I'm not entirely sure that's easily done but there's a different HazMat team/guy that might show up in real life so it could be pretty neat to see a different model run out. Though thinking through all that they might be better tackled more with a whole different "Active Medic" or "Forensic" themed modification instead of polluting this one with them.

I have been/was working on a body removal system with the vehicle cleanup (dead bodies stop traffic too mad.gif ) but the actual moving of the bodies was very glitchy and not always accurate. I plan to still look into it sometime though.

The medic healing people is a great idea. I will try a few ideas, see how they turn out.

Thanks for the recommendations.

WhiteGoblin
  • WhiteGoblin

I am one with the net

• Members

Posted 31 May 2011 - 12:35 AM

I have been/was working on a body removal system with the vehicle cleanup (dead bodies stop traffic too mad.gif ) but the actual moving of the bodies was very glitchy and not always accurate. I plan to still look into it sometime though. The medic healing people is a great idea. I will try a few ideas, see how they turn out. Thanks for the recommendations.

Not a problem at all, thank you for the awesome mod! I was playing around with this a bit after updating my realism thread today & caught a few screens of the entire crew getting taken out by explosions. Thought you'd get a chuckle outta this one as you can see three broom guys flying through the air (one actually almost hit me which would've been too perfect a screenshot), while the scene investigator was running around terrified until another car went off behind that got him. (creating the odd position he's in, here you can see a split second before the image below)

user posted image

Prof_Farnsworth
  • Prof_Farnsworth

Ambient Modder

• Members

Posted 01 June 2011 - 05:52 PM Edited by Prof_Farnsworth, 10 August 2011 - 06:03 AM.

QUOTE (WhiteGoblin @ May 31 2011, 00:35)
I have been/was working on a body removal system with the vehicle cleanup (dead bodies stop traffic too mad.gif ) but the actual moving of the bodies was very glitchy and not always accurate. I plan to still look into it sometime though. The medic healing people is a great idea. I will try a few ideas, see how they turn out. Thanks for the recommendations.

Not a problem at all, thank you for the awesome mod! I was playing around with this a bit after updating my realism thread today & caught a few screens of the entire crew getting taken out by explosions. Thought you'd get a chuckle outta this one as you can see three broom guys flying through the air (one actually almost hit me which would've been too perfect a screenshot), while the scene investigator was running around terrified until another car went off behind that got him. (creating the odd position he's in, here you can see a split second before the image below)

Excellent screen, definitely made me laugh. Also brings up fond memories of early testing, when all I would do is blow stuff up, then watch.

No medics yet (too busy with the business mod and.... you know, life), but the guys all have helmets now, and there is water coming from the top of the truck. As soon as I can get it to aim at the car on fire reliably, I will update.

Excellent screen, definitely made me laugh. Also brings up fond memories of early testing, when all I would do is blow stuff, then watch.

No medics yet (too busy with the business mod and.... you know, life), but the guys all have helmets now, and there is water coming from the top of the truck. As soon as I can get it to aim at the car on fire reliably, I will update.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users