» «
Photo

Offtopic Guide

24 replies to this topic
mkey82
  • mkey82

Keep riding hard, son

• Members

Posted 15 March 2011 - 05:45 PM Edited by mkey82, 28 March 2011 - 07:38 AM.

Hello (usually) new GTAF members.

Since there seems to be a lot of misunderstanding regarding the bold yellow text which can be read on top of this very page, I had the idea to make things painfully oversimplified. In fact, some of you may be even offended that someone would dare address them in such fashion, but please keep in mind - YOU are the one who can't spot big fat yellow text, this is the only reason as to why you have been directed to this thread.

So, to analyze a bit. For the first part of the yellow warning message

Modding question/problem? Post in one of these forums

The first statement says that this troubleshooting board dedicated to GTAIV is aimed ONLY at unmodified game installs of GTAIV and EFLC, be it the standalone or the addon version.

The reason for this is both simple and true

all modifications to the game files are unofficial, probably lack testing and are made by people who usually use third party (that is unofficial) tools

By no means does this mean that people who make mods are incompetent, the opposite is the truth obviously, but the fact is their time and funding is limited, there are quite a lot game versions out there and it's simply very hard to keep track of everything.

Due to the nature of modding, which involves using various files from many unrelated sources in (probably) unique conditions, people who are trying to fix issues in this section simply can't know what may have gone wrong:
- is the mod aimed at some other game version
- is the mod version dated
- is the mod functional
- does the mod have some dependencies
- has the mod been properly installed
- has some error occurred during some (other) mod removal
- does the mod maybe have some outstanding issues with some other mod
- has some archive been corrupted during the download/upload process

As you can obviously see, there are far too many variables here to have any chance at troubleshooting successfully. At the core of every troubleshooting process is removal of sources of as many probable causes as possible before the real issues shows its face. What can you do?

1. To make sure your issue relates to the original game install, you should remove all modded files restoring the original files from backup or completely reinstalling the game. Here you need to note that some mods are known to corrupt the savegame (actually, the savegame can get corrupted on its own easily, mods sometimes can make this event only more probable) while others can survive the reinstall process. For this reason, once you uninstall the game, you should make sure the game installation directory is empty, this is rather important.

If after this process you still have problems, then most probably the issue is not mod related at all and now we can start troubleshooting.

2. If game issues are definitively caused by mods (i.e. the issue appears only after mods have been applied) there is one general method you can follow - remove all mods and add them one by one, while testing after each step to root out the cause of any issues. This is especially true for car mods, as people get plenty of them from various sources.

3. Only when this process fails and only when you have exhausted all of your choices, you should look for solutions in mod support thread, if such exists. I will list a few threads for some popular mods

Native trainer
xliveless
ENB series for GTAIV

The best place to start looking would be the forum search function feature here. If this doesn't provide any results, you should open a new thread in some subforum here or if it's more of a general issue you can try opening a thread here.

Now for the other part

Illegally obtained copies are NOT supported. Discussion of cracks in any form is forbidden.

This warning is issued toward people who can't find it in their heart to purchase a GTAIV/EFLC game license but have the nerve to come to a supporting fan forum and ask for help. While there are many reasons as to why some person wouldn't acquire a GTA game license, none of them help explain as to why they would insist on playing a game they haven't provided any support for to the developer.

Put simply, if you have borrowed this game from a friend, got it from some warez site, have issues with applying cracks or using any other type of game protection removal methods you should look elsewhere for help. Do note, that it's because of people like you, we are ALL labeled like pirates or potential pirates, the official number one reason to keep many games from a decent PC release. It's a vicious circle and we will not be part of it.

SNAKE DOC
  • SNAKE DOC

\o/

• Members
  • None

Posted 23 March 2012 - 12:09 AM Edited by cornflakes4u, 23 March 2012 - 06:10 PM.

Excellent! *Tracks topic*

Edit: Tracked it so I have the link in a handy place for copy/pasting in the future.

mkey82
  • mkey82

Keep riding hard, son

• Members

Posted 23 March 2012 - 08:38 AM

If you get more then one notification for this thread, I'd be surprised.

unc13bud
  • unc13bud

Weekend Answerer

• Members
  • None

Posted 24 March 2012 - 03:28 AM

lol, props for going to the trouble of writing it though.

mkey82
  • mkey82

Keep riding hard, son

• Members

Posted 24 March 2012 - 10:26 AM Edited by mkey82, 24 March 2012 - 10:28 AM.

I wrote it for reference, so I have a place to point people to, when the need arises.

Number of views of this (usually deeply buried) thread shows I was on the right track.

Vintage88
  • Vintage88

Lost MC | VP

• Members

Posted 24 March 2012 - 09:55 PM Edited by Vintage88, 25 March 2012 - 12:28 AM.

I don't think it's fair to say someone is not supporting the developers if they didn't purchase the game for PC. There are a large number of users that purchased the game full-price for Xbox/PS3 and have since moved over to PC. Should they really be expected to shell out money for the game again when it's an incredibly buggy, rushed, poorly done port that received very little in the way of support and now receives no support? I loved the game on Xbox, so I decided to purchase both IV/EFLC for PC when I got my new rig. Up to today it's still the worst purchase I've made in regards to my computer. Those that pirate the game, I don't believe it's about being too cheap or anything of the sort. Rockstar has made tens of millions in profit off the PC release, but they won't invest a few thousand into fixing it so it works right. I don't think they deserve respect for that. They not only deserve no respect but probably deserve a swift kick to the nads too.

Not playing a title you think is broken is not exactly a solution when the other 95% of gamers are ignorant fan boys. The result is you miss out while they make their profits. Even with over 1 million consoles banned, Microsoft's Xbox, their games and it's LIVE service still brings in hundreds of millions by years end. This whole "piracy is killing the gaming industry" is a sham. With the profit margins that the main developers experience, they could make big dollars even with half of us pirating their games.

Anyways... lol.gif

mkey82
  • mkey82

Keep riding hard, son

• Members

Posted 24 March 2012 - 11:03 PM

Bad game = no reason to play nor pirate.

Where in the text did I suggest that "piracy is killing the industry"?

Vintage88
  • Vintage88

Lost MC | VP

• Members

Posted 25 March 2012 - 12:17 AM Edited by Vintage88, 25 March 2012 - 12:31 AM.

Bad game = no reason to play nor pirate.

That's a stance I mostly agree with but that doesn't mean it's beneficial as a consumer and gamer to take that approach in all situations.

Where in the text did I suggest that "piracy is killing the industry"?

It was suggested that piracy is why they don't make games for PC. It's more to do with a dwindling PC consumer base in certain genres. Your average GTA player, sports fan and even FPS nut owns a console but not a gaming PC. If GTA IV PC multiplayer had more than maybe 30 people on at any given time, say as much as Xbox/PS3 does, I'm sure they'd be more inclined to release GTA V for PC from the get-go.

-

mkey82
  • mkey82

Keep riding hard, son

• Members

Posted 25 March 2012 - 01:01 AM Edited by mkey82, 25 March 2012 - 01:04 AM.

You wanna play, you buy; how about that approach? If you want to create and publish free stuff, feel free to do so. These guys do it for the money. If you have a problem with it walk away, it's that simple.

What I said is, piracy is the number one official reason why PC games are being delayed. The only derivative here is - piracy is the number one official reason why PC games are being delayed (over console versions); there is no need to forge this sentence into something it isn't. Nowhere did I state piracy is destroying gaming; it's obvious high sales are doing it, just the same as other forms of art, converting artistic expression into profit making agenda.

If the average player doesn't like some game, there is really no reason for him to pirate it, is there? I have a lean stance toward the "pirate before you buy" method (even though many games offer demos, free weekends and whatnot); nevertheless, there are absolutely no acceptable excuses when it comes to continued enjoyment of a pirated product.

I do realize the economical implications which result in some (probably the vast majority of people who pirate stuff) people not being able to acquire software licenses (especially in this day and age), but I can't ignore the morality of this issue, neither.

In the end, everyone is free to form their opinion on piracy; this thread reflects my own and, in some part, the stance of this board.

Xivoo
  • Xivoo

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 07 May 2012 - 07:00 PM

I cant my phone to work on gta iv. I tried re installing it and removing the mods but nope its still not working.

Prometheus
  • Prometheus

• None

Posted 07 May 2012 - 07:03 PM

QUOTE (Xivoo @ Monday, May 7 2012, 19:00)
I cant my phone to work on gta iv. I tried re installing it and removing the mods but nope its still not working.

Going offtopic on an offtopic guide.... suicidal.gif

I think mkey linked this topic for you not to solve game problems only.

mkey82
  • mkey82

Keep riding hard, son

• Members

Posted 07 May 2012 - 07:47 PM

Yes, dear lord, read.

You have to make sure to remove all mod files. If you aren't sure which extra files you added, uninstall the game, keep the savegames, don't revoke the license, delete the game install directory, reinstall the game, update it manually. That should have it working normally.

Xivoo
  • Xivoo

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 08 May 2012 - 03:19 PM

QUOTE (mkey82 @ Monday, May 7 2012, 19:47)
Yes, dear lord, read.

You have to make sure to remove all mod files. If you aren't sure which extra files you added, uninstall the game, keep the savegames, don't revoke the license, delete the game install directory, reinstall the game, update it manually. That should have it working normally.

I did that, guess what.. it didn't work. I said the same thing on my thread.

mkey82
  • mkey82

Keep riding hard, son

• Members

Posted 08 May 2012 - 04:00 PM Edited by mkey82, 20 June 2012 - 06:09 AM.

Guess what- you're not the first people person who disable d the phone with improper modding.

EDIT: fixed some utterly terrible grammar

Xivoo
  • Xivoo

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 08 May 2012 - 04:12 PM

how do i fix it?

Prometheus
  • Prometheus

• None

Posted 08 May 2012 - 04:27 PM

QUOTE (Xivoo @ Tuesday, May 8 2012, 16:12)
how do i fix it?

Reinstall the game.

Also so as not to ruin this topic, post in your topic from now.

Xivoo
  • Xivoo

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 08 May 2012 - 04:32 PM

QUOTE (PrometheusX @ Tuesday, May 8 2012, 16:27)
QUOTE (Xivoo @ Tuesday, May 8 2012, 16:12)
how do i fix it?

Reinstall the game.

Also so as not to ruin this topic, post in your topic from now.

suicidal.gif I already did that

mkey82
  • mkey82

Keep riding hard, son

• Members

Posted 08 May 2012 - 05:39 PM

This is not ruining it, it's a great example of stupid people being stubborn.

If you simply reinstall the game, some mods persist. You need to make sure the install folder is empty once you uninstall the game. I have stated this a few times already.

Xivoo
  • Xivoo

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 11 May 2012 - 04:18 PM

QUOTE (mkey82 @ Tuesday, May 8 2012, 17:39)
This is not ruining it, it's a great example of stupid people being stubborn.

If you simply reinstall the game, some mods persist. You need to make sure the install folder is empty once you uninstall the game. I have stated this a few times already.

Okay i'll try

fenrir225
  • fenrir225

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 20 June 2012 - 05:44 AM

Can anyone make a canard rotor wing heliplane mod?

It is the helicopter that boeing made that unfortunately crashed in 2006

and there was a fictional model from MGS4 that looked like this

the choppers blades can lock in place and act as a wing
here are some pics if anyone can make a model for it

http://cdn1.gamepro..../173848-9-1.jpg
http://images4.wikia...MGS4-Helo-1.jpg
http://images1.wikia...x-MGS4-Helo.jpg
https://encrypted-tbn3.google.com
https://encrypted-tb...Yaf7KdBoyKy5JJQ

Prometheus
  • Prometheus

• None

Posted 20 June 2012 - 05:49 AM

Wrong section mate, you should post that in the Modelling Request topic. smile.gif

mkey82
  • mkey82

Keep riding hard, son

• Members

Posted 20 June 2012 - 06:08 AM

QUOTE (PrometheusX @ Monday, May 7 2012, 21:03)
Going offtopic on an offtopic guide.... suicidal.gif

^^^^^^

PacketOVerload_x64Bit
  • PacketOVerload_x64Bit

Window Licker 4 Blondes

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 07 August 2012 - 10:53 PM

I can appreciate the zeal, but I think if "troubleshooting" is the topic, there will have to be many more specifics of available modifications. Uninstalling shouldn't be a diagnostic step until very last IMHO.

In 2012, it's rather interesting to see that it is a rare person who will simply post their NVidia control panel 3D settings + other configurations.

mkey82
  • mkey82

Keep riding hard, son

• Members

Posted 08 August 2012 - 05:08 AM

QUOTE (PacketOVerload_x64Bit @ Wednesday, Aug 8 2012, 00:53)
I can appreciate the zeal, but I think if "troubleshooting" is the topic, there will have to be many more specifics of available modifications. Uninstalling shouldn't be a diagnostic step until very last IMHO.

I'm not entirely certain I understand what you're talking about here.

lolpingu
  • lolpingu

Not to be confused with "lolpingas"

• Members

Posted 16 December 2012 - 11:29 PM Edited by lolpingu, 16 December 2012 - 11:56 PM.

While there are many reasons as to why some person wouldn't acquire a GTA game license, none of them help explain as to why they would insist on playing a game they haven't provided any support for to the developer.

Do note, that it's because of people like you, we are ALL labeled like pirates or potential pirates, the official number one reason to keep many games from a decent PC release.

Yeah, sorry for the rude (and somewhat off-topic) reply, but your little whiny rant about piracy and cracks is just downright dumb and uninformed - you have absolutely no Idea what you're talking about whatsoever.
Please read up and do some research on a subject before spouting useless, misleading information about it - as, while it's okay to have silly, uninformed opinions about things, spreading them like herpes just makes those around you dumber as a result.

Firstly, you don't know these people, you don't know anything about them - and yet, you think you can judge them for downloading a game? I'm sure you've personally done some much worse things - you're not a saint.
Secondly, while developers do claim that piracy hurts their sales on the PC, they actually started making much less money when they made their games exclusive to the consoles - they'll come to their senses eventually and realize how stupid it was of them to neglect the PC, and if they don't, then who wants to play games by a company that can't make such an obvious, logical decision?
Thirdly, piracy is just as loose on consoles, anyone who claims that consoles are "un-hackable" is in a sad realm of denial.

Sorry for the long rant, but I just feel good about telling wannabe "internet inquisitors" what a bunch of jerks they are.
Honestly, I came here to ask for help about GTA IV crashing when I discharge any weapon ever since I got that Battlefield 3 weapon sound pack, but from what I gathered, you couldn't tell between a phosphorus-covered orange and the sun if your life depended on it.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users