Photo

GTA 2 Rewrite

9 replies to this topic
Suese
  • Suese

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 26 February 2011 - 12:05 AM

GTA 2 is an epic Multiplayer concept. Between gang wars, special weapons, and hard-line urban tactics I could play GTA 2 multiplayer all night with a couple friends.

I always felt the GTA 2 Multiplayer experience was supposed to be so much better. When scripting you notice there are plenty of multiplayer provisions that are just barely unusable. It seems there might have been ways to team up with other players in team battles, play games of 'capture the flag', incite giant mutliplayer gang wars, do cooperative missions, counter-missions and many many other multiplayer scenarios.

I propose a GTA 2 community re-write.

First, there has been A LOT of information and source codes released revolving around GTA 2. Car editors, map editors, scripting engine specs, texture editors, and tons of information directly from Rockstar themselves.

Second, we have GTA 2 itself as a model and a benchmark that can be improved in every way for speed, efficiency and compatibility.

Here's my ideas and thoughts:

The graphics engine, although not trivial, is straight forward, this is easy to test for congruency and speed. We could use LibSDL and OpenGL, for this so it could work on Windows/Mac/Linux/Gizmos/Toasters etc. We could use someone's custom map editor's source code as a model for this to speed up the process of designing it. (project 1)

While that is under way the scripting engine could be re-written. Using the information and source code compiler released by rockstar themselves we could reverse-engineer every function and re-write them in LUA. We could write a tool to convert the original game scripts to our newfangled LUA scripts too. (project 2)

The user-interface could be re-written separately as well. Menus for helping people connect multiplayer online, select custom maps, rip and watch the videos, etc could be written seperately. (project 3)

The game loop could be started by reproducing the car physics and reproducing the way pedestrians walk around and interact with the scene. This would be enhanced as the graphics engine takes shape. I suggest getting the game physics EXACTLY like the original, they are just boss. I'd hate to see cars flipping over in GTA 2! (project 4)

Finally if we had some ambitious 3D artists come along, they could redo the cars and pedestrians so that it looks nicer at higher resolutions. (project 5)

Now that's 5 distinct angles to start a project like this from. Once these elements are developed and integrated, the important new multiplayer parts can be designed and written. We'd most likely tie the scripting engine and physics engine into a dead-wreckoning algorithm or something similar and scrap Rockstars original multiplayer design ideas, since they sucked a lot and depend on an antiquated and buggy DirectPlay version, but of coarse that all would be up for debate and serious planning.

So who's interested? Who's got skills? Suggestions on how to get this done?

I'm pretty good with working with LUA and scripting languages. I could definitely sink my teeth into rewriting the scripting engine and reverse-engineering the original scripting functions. I might be able to handle graphics too, but anything more might be over-extending myself. Who's all in?

Sektor
  • Sektor

GTAMP.com

• Members

Posted 26 February 2011 - 01:59 AM

Missions (co-op or competitive) and capture the flag are already possible in GTA2 and some have been made by fans.

http://www.opengbh.net is working on a GTA2 clone.

Suese
  • Suese

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 27 February 2011 - 08:36 AM

I also saw the project "Greedy Car Thieves" too, all cool projects but not GTA 2 rewrites. It's just not the same thing, and GTA 2 is not only the raddest action game ever made but has some serious polishing potential that could enhance the experience.

We used to do things like change the scripts so that the same level would be restricted to bullets and throwing power-up, or restricted to rocket launchers and fast reload, kinda like James Bond for N64. Those kinds of multi-player features built-in would really add a lot of dynamic styles of game play to the multi player experience without changing the core of the game.

The graphics engine itself could be sped up and improved drastically,

My ultimate vision would also include a point-click editor that would add a lot of replay value, something simple that lets you concentrate on the bigger picture instead of texture and spawning details (e.g. draw a road here, draw a highway there, place some prefab buildings here, hospital there, weapon here here and here a bridge and we're done).

There's gotta be some other die-hards out there like me that are stoked about this idea??!?

elypter
  • elypter

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 02 March 2011 - 11:25 AM

First of all, i think most players and afaik every modder would like to see a fully working rewrite. GTA2 has just way too many bugs and limitations. i am not talking about bugs/features like carrockets but things like the maximum limit of tiles that can be used in the game, the limit of audio files and the totally rigid and bugged mis scripting language. some examples: http://gtamp.com/for...c.php?f=4&t=249 I don't think the original GTA can be reproduced 100%ly (including useful bugs). More importantly is the feel in general. I think you meant that too. The car handling, the weapon balancing and often not adequately recognized the comic style. Tis element should not be left out when adding new features.
the only comparable rewrite that has been done yet was http://www.hedgewars.org for worms. (although it should be tried to keep original textures and sounds where possible)

The first thing you should to is trying to combine forces and find out what is done already. There have been many attempts to do similar projects yet. Check out the list of gta2 like games that i made here: http://elypter.net84...x.php?topic=5.0 afaik opengbh.net is what comes closest and i heard they need coders. But i don't know much about those projects themselves and i don't know much about coding in C either. If you get into one of those projects please report here or on gtamp forum. Not much of the internal stuff has spread to the forums yet.

PS: i cannot help with the game itself but i know a lot about the tools, also how to do uncommon things with them (for example i did this: http://pure-gta.tk/) and about gta2 modding&scripting. So if you want to know if something is possible, already done or how to do it you can ask me. Also take a look at the packs i made: http://elypter.net84...2.tk/packs.html .they contain everything that has been released around gta2.

Mr Zero
  • Mr Zero

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 03 March 2011 - 07:21 PM

Yep, make it LOOK and FEEL like the original GTA2 but make all other things better. And if singleplayer is included, all stupid GTA "features" (which are seen in all GTAs so far) should be fixed/removed/replaced, i.e.

-In a mission, you destroy a building. You save the game and quit. Then you reload it and *poof* the building is intact again!

-You park a car, walk away for a short time, you come back and *poof* again, the car disappeared. There's also no place to store cars in GTA2 but this "feature" sucks in other GTAs too although they have safehouses/parking sites for cars.

-You follow a car driving on a road, you stop for a very short time, then continue driving and try to see the car again. Yet another *poof*, the car has disappeared and other cars on the road have also changed. A realtime full level simulation is not necessary but at least a large section of the map should be simulated instead of just your sight plus ten meters.

-Cops can always drive faster than you, no matter which cars you and the cops have. (i.e. chasing a Meteor with Special Agent car or even Land Roamer lol.gif ) A very lame feature seen in most games that involve cars & cops.

+Some other things.

chapapote
  • chapapote

Homie

• Members

Posted 03 March 2011 - 09:56 PM

QUOTE (Mr Zero @ Mar 3 2011, 19:21)
-In a mission, you destroy a building. You save the game and quit. Then you reload it and *poof* the building is intact again!

I can't remember that mission. As far as I remember, building that get destroyed during missions are destroyed for good. It can't be said the same thing for opened doors, though.

Mr Zero
  • Mr Zero

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 11 March 2011 - 02:52 PM

QUOTE (chapapote @ Mar 3 2011, 21:56)
QUOTE (Mr Zero @ Mar 3 2011, 19:21)

I can't remember that mission. As far as I remember, building that get destroyed during missions are destroyed for good. It can't be said the same thing for opened doors, though.

In Residential District, in Redneck level 3 mission "Penal Ties", you blow up the prison gate. After finishing the mission you can get back into the prison. But if you save and quit, then reload, the gate is closed again. I think the same thing happens in the "Radio Za-Za" mission in Downtown district.

Gustavob
  • Gustavob

Martian

• Members

Posted 11 March 2011 - 03:18 PM

QUOTE (Mr Zero @ Mar 11 2011, 11:52)
In Residential District, in Redneck level 3 mission "Penal Ties", you blow up the prison gate. After finishing the mission you can get back into the prison. But if you save and quit, then reload, the gate is closed again.

when you "blow up the prison gate", you're actually opening one of those doors chapapote mentioned won't stay open.

QUOTE (Mr Zero @ Mar 11 2011, 11:52)
I think the same thing happens in the "Radio Za-Za" mission in Downtown district.

about this one I'm not sure, but if it happens it may be intentional. In a test mission I scripted, I explode a whole building, save the game, come back and the building is not there anymore

Ss4gogeta0
  • Ss4gogeta0

Huelga birds in the air and we're chargin with spears

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 22 July 2013 - 07:33 AM Edited by Ss4gogeta0, 22 July 2013 - 07:43 AM.

bump...
I was wondering if anyone had anything new to share.

I myself have tried to make my own gta game... didnt get too far into it.
it has multiplayer support and i changed the map not too long ago, the dl link is a very early alpha build...

http://www.indiedb.c...-live-your-life

Latest News: Demo to be released soon?
0 comments by Ss4gogeta0 on Mar 6th, 2012

I have been working on this game for a number of years, Although as a side project mostly....
So don't expect much with this upcoming demo as it is just to show off some basic work...

The Demo will include:

- The ability to become either a defense attorney, Prosecutor,  Police officer, or a gang member...
- Basic attack verb (kicking)
- A few custom clothing options for character customization
- The ability to use drugs
- Cars running on basic AI... (hope to add drivable cars in the future
- a bunch of random stuff....

and hopefully it will include the achievements (might not, but it is always good to hope) 

It will also come bundled with an installer for Byond (since thats the development engine I used)

which is required for play...

Ss4gogeta0
  • Ss4gogeta0

Huelga birds in the air and we're chargin with spears

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 22 July 2013 - 10:41 PM

bump to bring interest to a non deceased topic

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users