Photo

Independence FM

4 replies to this topic
Mr. Someguy
  • Mr. Someguy

Gold Member

• Members

Posted 23 February 2011 - 02:37 PM

I'm having trouble trying to get Independence FM to play my music, and I'm not sure what's wrong with it.

All it will do is play is Commercials and News, but nothing else.

I have 95 songs on it, so maybe that's too many, if so could someone tell me what the limit is (if there is one)?

The songs are all in WMA or MP3 format, 4 songs were in WAV which I thought maybe messed it up, but removing them made no difference.

Maybe someone could shed some light on the issue by telling me what the restrictions are?

Also, I'm running the Steam version if that matters at all.

Thanks.

shahmen
  • shahmen

• Members

Posted 23 February 2011 - 02:40 PM

Test to convert all files to .MP3

mkey82
  • mkey82

Keep riding hard, son

• Members

Posted 23 February 2011 - 02:43 PM

Not sure if wma files will play, try removing them and do another scan.

meson1
  • meson1

Soldier

• Members

Posted 23 February 2011 - 06:45 PM Edited by meson1, 24 February 2011 - 12:33 AM.

Link: Wikipedia: Grand Theft Auto IV Soundtrack - Independence FM

QUOTE (Wikipedia)
Independence FM
The PC version of Grand Theft Auto IV adds Independence FM to the station line-up, which plays digital music files of the user's choice. Music files or shortcuts to music files placed within the GTA IV User Music folder are played in varying modes as selected by the user. Sequential mode plays the files in order, Shuffle mode randomly selects files, and Radio mode randomly plays songs with DJ commentary and advertisements. Supported file types are .wma, .mp3 and .m4a. Quicktime or iTunes needs to be installed for M4A support. In order for music to be played in Independence FM, the player must tell the game to scan the folder.

QUOTE (Extract from C:\Program Files (x86)\Rockstar Games\Grand Theft Auto IV\ReadMe.txt)
10) INDEPENDENCE FM (USER RADIO)

For the first time ever, you can now select your own favorite songs to play through the in-game radio station Independence FM.

Simply place your non DRM’ed MP3s, WMAs, or M4As (or shortcuts to your music folders) in the file location below:
My Documents\Rockstar Games\GTA IV\User Music

Note: Quicktime or iTunes needs to be installed for M4A support.

After accessing Independence FM as you would with any other in-game radio station, you will also have the following options in the Audio tab of the Pause Menu:

Scanning Modes
Enable Auto Scan - Set this to ON to perform a Quick Scan automatically on game startup.
Quick Scan - Reads the audio files within your folder, plays back exactly as they are in the folder.
Complete Scan - Reads the audio files within your folder, performs additional analysis to enhance user experience.

Play Modes
Sequential - Plays through audio files as they appear in your folder, can skip songs.
Shuffle - Plays through audio files randomly, can skip songs.
Radio - Plays through audio files randomly with radio adverts and DJ banter in between tracks, cannot skip songs.

There are numerous threads on here with suggestions for this kind of issue (have a search smile.gif ) with solutions (some of which are dubious) that include:
  • Using shortcuts, not the actual files (although the actual files are supposed to work fine)
  • Shortening the filenames if your song files have stupidly long filenames.
  • Ensuring you're only using non-DRM music files.
  • Re-encoding your mp3's. Commercially available non-DRM ones (I'm a fan of Amazon mp3) are usually pretty good quality, but you never know. If you happen to have some that have been acquired by [cough]othermeans[/cough] then the encoding quality can be extremely variable because some people do use some really crap tools.
  • Making sure you click on the "Complete Scan" in the game menu.
I'd also try something like emptying out the User Music folder of all the files and start re-adding them in a few at a time starting with just mp3's. That way, if it's getting hung up on one dodgy one that's preventing it from completing the scan properly, you'll soon identify it.

Edit: i.e. With you having 95, I'd add ten at a time. Then when you find it doesn't work when you add a particular ten, remove that ten and re-add just five of them, and keep breaking them down like that until you narrow it down to to whichever files that seem to cause the problem.

Good luck.

Mr. Someguy
  • Mr. Someguy

Gold Member

• Members

Posted 24 February 2011 - 03:00 AM

Alright, problem solved.

Thanks for the help!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users