Memories...

53 replies to this topic
forbjok
  • forbjok

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 06 June 2011 - 09:45 PM

Fond memories indeed. biggrin.gif

It must've been in 2002, shortly after GTA III came out on PC, on a late night when I probably shouldn't really even have been up anymore (due to school the next day), but anyway...
I originally became acquainted with the original "Grand Theft Auto" on a LAN party in 1998 or so, when everyone seemed to be playing it, and had played both that and GTA2 quite a lot by the time GTA III came out, but I had never really bothered much with the missions - it was much more fun to just run around and try to cause as much mayhem as possible, or pushing people onto the electric rails.

As such, I didn't really know what to expect from GTA III, but basically expected it to be much the same, just in 3D... man was I wrong biggrin.gif
After playing just a few missions, I quickly started to realize how infinitely much better GTA III was, and pretty quickly I was hooked.
Unfortunately, I never completed the game back then - I unlocked Shoreside Vale (probably only had a few missions left, though I didn't know that at the time) - probably got stuck on Espresso 2 Go, or one of those few infamously difficult missions at the end.

However, I never forgot the awesome atmosphere and great freedom in the game, and played it many times after (without quite finishing it), before I finally beat the game several years later (using almost only grenades... grenades are fun).

Juicefani11
  • Juicefani11

NoMemberTitle

• Members

Posted 09 June 2011 - 09:02 AM

Oh man, i remember when my dad told me he had GTAIII in a closet, i was like 5 years old.. smile.gif I remember installing it and starting a new game when i skipped the cutscene and saw the beautiful graphics and Kuruma.. smile.gif One of the nicest memories with GTA until i got Vice City for a birthday present when it was just published for PC and i was amazed. smile.gif

KilnerLUFC
  • KilnerLUFC

The idiots are taking over

• Members
  • Somalia

Posted 11 June 2011 - 08:54 PM

QUOTE (Sam998 @ Tuesday, Mar 1 2011, 11:38)
lol this was about a week ago. Literally, first day playing it ever.

mercie_blink.gif

This was my first ever PS2 game, so to me the game was amazing, especially since the console I upgraded to the PS2 from was the N64. Got hooked on the game as soon as I started playing it, loving the amount of freedom and how 'advanced' this game was, which kind of seems silly now. Think I spent a full day just messing around, then got down to business so I could progress onto the other islands.

Shayan Shaffey
  • Shayan Shaffey

Want to Advertise in my Sig? PM Me.

• BUSTED!

Posted 14 July 2011 - 09:21 PM

I started it on my PS2 in 2001 and I got into the Kuruma, it took me months to learn how to drive tounge2.gif

battlemage2015
  • battlemage2015

Player Hater

• BUSTED!

Posted 15 July 2011 - 12:11 AM

i cant play gta anymore cause of a controllor issue

I can only play eflc and iv

Kalev4ever
  • Kalev4ever

Peon

• Members
  • Estonia

Posted 17 January 2012 - 02:42 PM Edited by Kalev4ever, 17 January 2012 - 02:44 PM.

I think I got the GTA 3 in 2003 or somewhere near that year.

Because I was very young back then, I still remember how much I feared the Triads and Columbians, because they were hostile towards Claude. There was just no going into Cedar Grove back in the day biggrin.gif
The first time played it, I reached the Espresso-2-Go! mission that I failed a couple a times and after that for some reason I didnīt play it any more. Not because I got bored of it, hell no.

Today, I truely admire many places in the state. Although the Cedar Grove area is crawling with those fools, I like the beauty of the area. A bit mountainous + those gardens and big houses / villas.

I havenīt bothered to accomplish the game 100%. Thanks to that I havenīt passed all of Courtneyīs missions. No need for two more gangs to start war with you.
How relaxing is driving a Yardie Lobo, Perennial or Esperanto in Newport, listening to the Scientist... cool.gif

Saint Markīs is also a place where itīs interesting to drive. Iīve always wondered whatīs with the little part of the street near Toniīs place, with the scaffoldings and unfinished road repairment.

Also, Red Light District and the Atlantic Quays - I found something in them, that makes me drive back and enjoy the atmosphere.

And who wouldnīt like to go to the subway and cause chaos wink.gif
I also like to beat people so they will fall onto the railway tracks (upcoming unfortunate death smile.gif ) or somewhere near a precipice or the sea. Fun with the M16 - head, arm or leg? Or driving the Barracks and ramming every second or third vehicle on its roof.

For a game that is from the year 2001, it had a great list of radio stations and songs. Because of all these and some more memories, I downloaded this game more than a week ago. Just to memorize what my childhood was like and how terribly I sucked at driving back then.

E: Sorry, for awakening this old topic, but I thought that this truely needs it. So we can write our and read others memories about this fantastic game.

Zee
  • Zee

Shut up, sit down, relax.

• BUSTED!
  • United-Kingdom
  • Comedian of the Year 2011

Posted 17 January 2012 - 04:04 PM

Ah, my first bout of GTA. I was th tender age of 11. At the time, I loved Crazy Taxi for Dreamcast, it was one of my favorite games. I loved the idea of driving a car around a virtual city, except for two things: 1) The time limit 2)Couldnt hit pedestrians. I tried for ages to get just the right angle for a hit, but peds went right thru the car! Bollocks to that.

Cut to Christmas 2001, my cousin had just gotten a ps2, and was playing some sort of Taxi game. (At first I thought it was a Crazy Taxi ripoff for ps2 LOL) until he took a sharp turn, and drove towards a ped, hitting them. I expected them to go thru the car like Crazy Taxi, when something magical happened,msomething that would change my life. The ped went under the car, screamed, and there was a loud SQUISH! The car even left a trail of blood! I couldnt believe my eyes! Then, he got out of the taxi, and I realized Taxi Missions were only A tiny PART of the full game. We spent ages roaming around portland getting into trouble, switching when we died. I still get flashbacks to it when playing the first portland stages on my iPad.

Then, in January of '02, I got GTAIII for my own. I remember the a,aze,ent of unlocking Staunton, and all the plot twists as turns that came with it. 2002 later turned out to be one of the greatest years in GTAGaming of all time, forever sealing my fate as a lifelong GTA fan.

OG Sunny
  • OG Sunny

Swim

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 29 January 2012 - 10:19 AM

rampage_ani.gif First thing I did was stole a truck and drove over a few dozen peds, rampage_ani.gif I didn't complete the first mission untill days later biggrin.gif

cidamelo
  • cidamelo

RIP Amy WINEHOUSE!GRANT RODIEK is back to the EA GAMES!&

• Members
  • None
  • Comedian of the Year 2010

Posted 29 January 2012 - 05:36 PM

Funny story Zee! lol.gif A taxi game!!

NikoGTA4
  • NikoGTA4

Ringolo

• Members

Posted 29 January 2012 - 08:55 PM

Hey I remember like yesterday. It was 2002 and I was at my cousin's house, I was about 8 or 9 at the time.
Sadly I couldn't enjoy the game's graphics because my cousin's PC was not powerful enough so he put the classic top view from the older GTAs. About a year later he bought himself a Xbox and had the GTA double pack with Vice City. He let me play them but I didn't notice that GTA3 was the game that I played a year earlier, I was happy when I figured that. The graphics were awesome at the time. Had my Xbox in 2004 and the Double Pack the same year.

Oddly enough when I started playing at my cousin's house in 2003 I didn't read "Grand Theft Auto" on the cover, I saw "Grand Chief Auto" for some reasons and I told my friends about the game "Grand Chief Auto", haha good memories.

Also for a long time I thought that Tommy Vercetti and Claude were the same person and wondering why he didn't talk in GTA3.

Also another childhood memory was when GTA San Andreas was about to come out, me and my friends came with some bullsh*t rumours like, you can go in the jungle or things like that... ahh memories.

senor_huevos_benedicto
  • senor_huevos_benedicto

Tell your friends. Tell your neighbours. Tell Randy Gonzales.

• Members

Posted 04 February 2012 - 01:22 PM

Well I just played the game for the first time today. It must've been really special at the time, even now I'm still impressed by the feel of the city, and the gameplay back 10 years ago would have been revolutionary.

TheOtherRyan
  • TheOtherRyan

The American Dream

• Australia
  • Best Poster [GTA] 2014
    Best Member in the OGA 2012

Posted 05 February 2012 - 08:44 AM

QUOTE (senor_huevos_benedicto @ Sunday, Feb 5 2012, 00:22)
Well I just played the game for the first time today. It must've been really special at the time, even now I'm still impressed by the feel of the city, and the gameplay back 10 years ago would have been revolutionary.

Better late than never. icon14.gif

Anyway yeah back in the day it was really mind blowing. I never played a game like it before. I remember the first time I beat up peds with the baseball bat. It gave me a guilty pleasure lol.

Back in 2001 (Well early 2002 for me) it was like nothing else.

Jericho176
  • Jericho176

Spoon Killer

• Members

Posted 12 February 2012 - 09:05 AM Edited by Jericho176, 12 February 2012 - 09:15 AM.

I do remember that... It was the summer of 2003 or so. It was a rainy day. I was at a Playstation club where you pay 1 cash for 1 hour of play and so on. I played Vice City like all the time there, but this day I decided to try GTA III.
I still remember the bridge, Claude in prison outfit, the fire, the rainy weather, the basketball court under the bridge, and cops killing me over and over again. I liked the game as much as Vice City, but couldn't really play it. I was about 13 years old at the time.
Later they shut down the club and I never saw GTA III until 2008.

I became a huge fan of GTA in 2008 starting from San Andreas and going through Vice City.
My PC had problems running GTA III though, so instead I played GTA Liberty City (the Vice City mod) just for the fun of it. But the mod itself was messed up as I downloaded it from a torrent site. Claude had a very sh*tty model and the game itself had no missions, had Vice City cops, had Vice City gangs, had Vice City anims and so on.
I eventually learned how to mod and edit the most basic stuff such as the ones I mentioned above. I found the actual GTA III cop model, a few actual GTA III gangs, GTA III anims and even the GTA III thugs for VC, and a proper Claude model... I put them all in the game, but I was still new to the mod tools, the game files and everything so it took me some time to figure all this out and how it works.

Being a huge New York admirer, I was very happy that I finally had something that looks like GTA III. The only thing you can do on it is troll the cops, stunt or search for hidden packages. I liked it that way since I don't really like mods with missions or mods in general. So basically I learned the whole city from this piece of mod and the whereabouts of 92 hidden packages, some hidden weapons and so on. It was funny when I found out that there is a package in the air above the bridge as I crashed numerous helicopters just to get it, I still remember that moment biggrin.gif I actually still keep it on a CD.

So yeah, I played this thing for about year and I finally managed to play the REAL GTA III in 2009 when I got a new computer. You can say the first time I really played the game was then rather than 2003. I loved that game even more than Vice City and San Andreas, the atmosphere and everything was awesome. Since then I have completed GTA III numerous times, and still play it occasionally. smile.gif

P.S. Sorry for the huge post

SLeek
  • SLeek

Down, with a frown, on the town, a sad clown

• Members

Posted 19 February 2012 - 07:51 PM

It was in 2004, I think. I played GTA III for the first time in my birthday. My sister had bought a HP NX9010 and let GTA III installed to it. I loved the game from the first time I played it. The brightest memorys, what I remember right now, are discovering a Taxi in the Portland savehouse, while the weather was so gorgeaously sunny and driving down the hill near Easy Credit Autos with Stallion.

GTAisAwesome2.0
  • GTAisAwesome2.0

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 21 February 2012 - 09:19 PM

It was around 2008 when i got into GTA. I own an old refurbished PS2 and I decided to try GTA III because i liked True Crime. When I popped in GTA III for the first time, i fell in love. It had a dark gloomy atmosphere, and I was surprised that a game could capture such essence. Every time I would kill someone, I would feel guilty, but then when it became habit, I got a weird rush. I suck at GTA so i cheat constantly. I remember felling like i would never get to Stanton Island. I would use the flying car cheat and fly off the bridge trying so hard to make it across. When i finally did, I would ride around sight seeing. Now, I own the entire GTA III era games, and i still suck.

α
  • α

-

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 21 February 2012 - 09:48 PM Edited by E28, 21 February 2012 - 09:59 PM.

At a frieinds house I played some kind of game, we went were free roaming and had endless fun stealing coaches from this coach depot. At the time I didn't know what game it was. When I saw GTA 3 on the app store just after Christmas, I looked at my Ģ15 pound iTunes voucher, and bought it in a heartbeat. And while cruising Portland in a stolen Mafia Sentinel, I came across the very same coach depot. And I realised that that game, was GTA 3.

Today, GTA 3 is quite frankly one of the best games I have ever played.

Finn 7 five 11
  • Finn 7 five 11

Well I'm sorry, Princess.

• Members
  • None

Posted 26 February 2012 - 12:26 AM

I swear i posted in this topic.

I was playing III on my Galaxy S II just the other day (I had to restart the game because my first SGS2 broke) and i watched the first cutscene, and i felt like i was 10 years old again, it was crazy, the nostalgia was epic.
I remember when i first started, the noise of the cars, and the music, and the city, it was all so real! I did the first mission, then i just drove around doing what there was to do, i tried taxi missions, running cars off the road, jumps, everything you name it! It was a fast learning curve, i had never played anything like it.
The radio, the sounds, the things the peds say, it all goes together so well! I spent so so so so so many hours on that game, certainly more than any game now, even all my MP hours on Black ops.
I have spent whole weekends playing GTA III in the last 9- 10 years.

Man this reminiscing, it reminds me of San Andreas and VC so much as well....ahh the good times.

LifeLessGT
  • LifeLessGT

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 03 March 2012 - 01:11 PM Edited by LifeLessGT, 03 March 2012 - 01:13 PM.

The torq Kuruma was my favorite car, Still is.
MSX FM, Rise FM,
Also I remember when trying to pass the destroyed bridge with a Banshee that was near 8-Ball's, that was covered in a glass showroom.
So much happned when I was 6 years old.
Now I have it all in the palm of my hand (:

RatedRony
  • RatedRony

Give the pain The Finger

• Members
  • Latvia

Posted 03 March 2012 - 02:21 PM

GTA 3 was like my first ''REAL GAME'' that i really played... in 2005 when i got my first pc happy.gif at the time i was like 11 or 12 years old smile.gif friend gave me the discs! the biggest OMFG moment was when i shot pedestrian in head with sniper! i almost died inlove.gif

gtaIII48
  • gtaIII48

awesome

• Members

Posted 05 March 2012 - 10:59 PM

I wasn't very good but I played alot and its pretty fun biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif ph34r.gif

irganc
  • irganc

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 21 April 2012 - 11:38 AM

Before I played it, my brother told me about it and I imagined as wery realistic game with a lot of options. I even saw game in the dream before I saw it in real life.

When I got gta3 on pc it was perfect and looked like in dreams and imaginations.

I was bad at driving and mose controls, because I had pc for firs time. Before that, played games only on NES or SEGA in 2d, so seeing 3d game was amazing and when I saw all the options, it was just undescribeable.

It's worlds best game even now, because nothing can repeat those feelings an memories, what gta3 create.

Buffalo Soldier
  • Buffalo Soldier

The Man Himself.

• Members

Posted 21 April 2012 - 01:00 PM

I only properly played GTA III in November 2011 - I mean I've played it before years ago, but not the whole story.

And I'm having a GTA Marathon and I'm now beginning GTA IV again, but right now I'm listening to Rise FM on YouTube, and even that creates nostalgia for the game and I only finished it 5 or 6 Months ago - it's not the best GTA game but you just know how big of an impact it had.

Iain2001
  • Iain2001

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 22 April 2012 - 06:35 PM

I bought GTA3 in November 2001, and loved the game right from the first moment I started playing it. It was brilliant the way you could tackle a mission anyway you wanted to, then just driving round listening to the brilliant Radio stations.

A fantastic game in a fantastic year for games. tounge.gif

Sneakerhead.
  • Sneakerhead.

YourGirlRunHerFingersThruMyHair

• Members
  • None

Posted 23 April 2012 - 06:42 AM

I first played GTA III the day it came out for XBOX, I remember being at my cousins house and saying "This game is ssooo coool!" infact, I remember exactly what I was doing, I was at the place where you get the banshee, and then I remeber changing out the banshee for a diablo stallion, the stallion was found right next to the gas station that is located right next to the old car dealership where the banshee can be found.

I also want to let people know that GTA III was my first GTA! icon14.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users