Documentaries Discussion..

134 replies to this topic
El_Diablo
  • El_Diablo

"The_Devil"

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Mars

Posted 19 December 2013 - 11:34 PM

this is one of those Vice docs, so it's short.

but this is incredible stuff.

Failure
  • Failure

My life has no meaning

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 20 December 2013 - 12:33 AM Edited by elanman, 21 January 2014 - 09:24 PM.

Some great-looking documentaries in here, lads.

Anyway, GunWrath and I were discussing a favourite documentary of mine in this thread:

http://gtaforums.com...n-for-soldiers/

It's called Nazi Hunters and concerns the operations undergone by Mossad agents to bring Nazi war criminals to justice after the second world war.

Here's one of my favourite episodes:

Some very shocking footage and, being a documentary about hunting Nazis, some extremely grisly details. However, learning about how the missions to capture the ex-Nazis were done is very interesting.

El_Diablo: It's horrible to see children suffer such afflictions as cancer as they basically deprive them of a childhood. Great sig by the way.

• GunWrath likes this

GunWrath
  • GunWrath

Needs More Beer

• Members
  • United-States
  • Most Helpful [Expression] 2013

Posted 20 December 2013 - 03:58 AM

I vouch for Nazi Hunters as well, WWII history is always a decent thing to watch. Eye-opening and unbelievable the things that happened.

UtricularEwe001
  • UtricularEwe001

I am a Pirate

• Members
  • None

Posted 20 December 2013 - 08:53 AM

By watching various WW2/Nazi Documentaries over the years, I learned that there are people, who are worse than the Führer himeself.

People like Heinrich Himmler (Commander of the SS), Ilse Koch (Bitch of Buchenwald) and Mengele (Angel of death). And Last but not least, the architect of the Holocaust, Adolf Eichmann.

But if you aske me, there were some great scientists and strategists too. But it just they were on the wrong side.

People like Wernher von Braun, Oskar Schindler and Erwin Rommel.

I'd recommend you guys to watch Nazi Megastructures if you are interested.

Brobinski
  • Brobinski

PYPU

• Leone Family Mafia

Posted 23 December 2013 - 02:28 AM

I'm looking to see if I can catch The Act of Killing and How to Make Money Selling Drugs sometime in the future.

Didn't watch either of these, went for Leviathan instead:

leviathan_xlg.jpg
Leviathan is a documentary film unlike many you'll see. There is no narration, no interviews or dialogue, no soundtrack and no text on screen. What you get is just 90 minutes of raw footage from a New England dragnet ship. Leviathan is a film that invites you to feel rather than think.

Born from the brains of two anthropologists, this art film come documentary was created by people who aren't fans of normal documentaries. Lucien Castaing-Taylor, who partnered with Verena Paravel to produce Leviathan, has said in the past how much he hates "being told what to think about something, I feel that I want to resist the authority of [a] documentarian" and as such set out to create something that doesn't tell you anything, it just shows you and lets you decide how you feel about that.

Castaing Taylor has said "Documentary claims to have this privileged purchase on a truthful version of reality but most documentaries' representation of the real is so attenuated and so discourse-based and language-based. We lie and we mystify ourselves with words. Words can only take us so far." So how do you get around the lies of language? Don't use it.

There isn't a word uttered in the entirety of Leviathan, at least not an intelligible one that matters. There are some shouts and grunts from the fisherman but they could be in any language and mean anything. It's not surprising that these film makers are anthropologists by trade; Leviathan comes off largely like a documentary about fisherman as if they were just another part of the environment, as if the filmakers were looking at humanity's role here from an outsider's persective.

The men and the ship themselves do just become part of the seascape on the same level as everything else. The hazy and trippy approach taken by Castaing-Taylor and Paravel paints a very primal picture. There are extremely long shots, often of things than many would deem pointless, taken from strange angles and focussing on unusual things. Leviathan is almost a gallery exhibition. There isn't a narrative thread running through the documentary. It's just a collection of striking images that are open to interpretation from the viewer.

And what striking images they are. Brtual and apocalyptic. A tale of blood and salt, bright lights and the black abyss; Leviathan is full of visceral and frenetic visuals. Cameras were strapped to anything that they could be: the boat, the nets, poles to be held overboard and even the fishermen themselves. Often shot from floor level or from below the waves, Leviathan could be seen, at times, to be a documentary on fishing through a fish eye lens.

The rivers of blood from beheading and gutting the fish, the churning black waves with white foam, the floodlights, the screeching gulls and the roars and crashes of the sea create a portrait of sound and fury on the water that will stay with any viewer for a long time, whether they enjoy the experience or not.

Misbegotten cad
  • Misbegotten cad

Prankster

• BUSTED!

Posted 23 December 2013 - 09:38 AM

Im very worriedof the falling standards of docs in both BBC and National G.

In the old days they did sterling docs full of hard facts.

Today most of their stuff is 'fun' and 'light' docs that seem to be made for retards and kids.

No real history and fact fan would watch that sort of rubbish.

• RoadRunner71 and Audiophile like this

Kuruma.
  • Kuruma.

turnt up

• The Yardies
  • Scotland

Posted 04 January 2014 - 02:44 AM Edited by Kuruma., 04 January 2014 - 02:48 AM.

Vice in North Korea, what is there not to be interested in here. North Korea is one weird f*cking place. It's kind of out of date considering it was filmed when Kim Jong Il was still in power, I'd say if anything it would be even more crazy if they went back now.

apparently you can only embed 2 youtube videos per post now? Obviously there's a part 3.

El_Diablo
  • El_Diablo

"The_Devil"

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Mars

Posted 20 January 2014 - 01:38 AM

really good short doc on homophobia in professional sports:

Gilligan
  • Gilligan

Midnight Toker

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 20 January 2014 - 02:38 PM Edited by geobst, 20 January 2014 - 02:38 PM.

Have any of you been keeping up with the new season of Yukon Men? I only started watching it last year and I was just pulled in straight away. Without rabbling on, it's basically about a few families out in Tanana who need to collect supplies (such as wood) and hunt in order to survive and feed their families before the harsh Winter comes. It's both interesting and very entertaining. Seriously, if you haven't seen it yet, go and watch it!

SAUL_SILVER
  • SAUL_SILVER

DILLIGAF---GIRFUY

• Members
  • Scotland

Posted 30 January 2014 - 09:41 PM Edited by SAUL_SILVER, 30 January 2014 - 09:43 PM.

Here are few i have watched lately that others might find interesting.

Ed Stafford walking the Amazon.  http://www.imdb.com/...ref_=fn_al_tt_1

The story of Ed Stafford's 2 1/2 year journey to become the first man to walk the length of the Amazon River. The guy was really brave or stupid i just can't decide. :O 

The Summit. http://www.imdb.com/...1/?ref_=nv_sr_1

The story of the deadliest day on the world's most dangerous mountain, when 11 climbers mysteriously perished on K2.

A couple for comic fans.

Necessary Evil; Super Villians of DC comics. http://www.imdb.com/...ref_=fn_al_tt_3

A documentary detailing the epic Rogues' Gallery of DC Comics from The Joker and Lex Luthor, Sinestro, Darkseid and more, this documentary will explore the Super Villains of DC Comics

Secret Origin; The Story of DC comics. http://A documentary...ns of DC Comics

A look at the history of the comic book publication that launched such legendary characters as Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman.

enormous
  • enormous

larger than life

• Members
  • None

Posted 31 January 2014 - 11:10 AM

Excellent documentary about our space program told from the engineers point of view:

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=dbpmox-_bDM

RoadRunner71
  • RoadRunner71

Try to Run, Try to Hide

• Members
  • None

Posted 31 January 2014 - 11:18 AM

Have any of you been keeping up with the new season of Yukon Men? I only started watching it last year and I was just pulled in straight away. Without rabbling on, it's basically about a few families out in Tanana who need to collect supplies (such as wood) and hunt in order to survive and feed their families before the harsh Winter comes. It's both interesting and very entertaining. Seriously, if you haven't seen it yet, go and watch it!

I haven't ever seen it but, isn't that kind of 'documentaries' actually scripted?

RoadRunner71
  • RoadRunner71

Try to Run, Try to Hide

• Members
  • None

Posted 01 February 2014 - 02:53 PM

Yesterday I watched a pretty interesting Canadian documentary on the History Channel (incredible, a doc in the HC that's not about conspiracies, aliens or pawnshops!) about the creation of the Anthrax as a biological warfare weapon. Unfortunately, I can't figure out how it's called or if it's avaliable in English.

I found it pretty impressive, the Allieds would, or at least could, have won the war independently of how it developed on the ground thanks to the Anthrax.

It's called 'Le project N'. I couldn't find the whole documentary in Youtube.

Misbegotten cad
  • Misbegotten cad

Prankster

• BUSTED!

Posted 09 February 2014 - 09:24 AM

The reason why National Geographic and History channels are so stoopid these days, is simple: Government!

Us Government wants to keep the people of US as simple and as ignorant as possible.

-because ignorant people are easier to control, and are easier to brainwash with baseless government propaganda.

Ad for this very reason US government prohibited american tv houses from broadcasting anything even slightly intelligent.

And you can already see the result of this government program:

-half of americans cannot even read!

-and most americans really believe that USA is the best country in the world! (some efficient brainwashing eh?)

More proof: Ask an american what is happening in India or in Chile. They will not know. Ask European the same, and he will give you concise and informative answer.

Really, USA is turning into a Soviet Union. For in CCCP they also had government that denied people any real knowledge!

El_Diablo
  • El_Diablo

"The_Devil"

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Mars

Posted 09 February 2014 - 11:08 PM

are you daft?

the History Channel and NatGeo are not controlled by the government.

the reason they started showing so many scripted programs instead of documentaries has nothing to do with keeping people ignorant and everything to do with simple economics; those shows are cheap to produce and bring in a lot of viewers which = $$$$$$$$. but it's not like they just gave up on their original programming either.

NatGeo and History have both expanded their original content into new channels (like Wild Planet, Smithsonian, and H2) which actually still show all of the good documentaries and none of the new reality TV junk.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users