Photo

Documentaries Discussion..

134 replies to this topic
The Yokel
  • The Yokel

Boob groper

• The Yardies
  • Jamaica

Posted 04 April 2012 - 11:06 AM Edited by GTAvanja, 04 April 2012 - 11:12 AM.

I am looking forward to this. And after you see the trailer I think you'll find it at least interesting.

I love everything Cold War related, and this just blows my mind. I used to hear stories about this space program when I was a kid but I didn't believe a single word of it. This is unbelievable.

The Unvirginiser
  • The Unvirginiser

You ain't gettin' your tings?!

• Andolini Mafia Family

Posted 05 April 2012 - 06:27 PM

I've been watching a series on youtube called 'Real crime' about British murders and the story behind them, I'd recommend them if you're in to that sort of thing. I dug out Louix Theroux's weird weekend's again and I'm giving them a watch - do yourself a favor and give them a go.

TheCacti
  • TheCacti

oh sh*t there's a horse in the hospital

• Leone Family Mafia

Posted 07 April 2012 - 01:42 AM

Yes, Crumb is a nice, quirky documentary. His brothers were something else...

Mister Pink
  • Mister Pink

ThePinkFloydSound

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 07 April 2012 - 09:38 AM Edited by ThePinkFloydSound, 07 April 2012 - 09:40 AM.

I shall check out Crumb. It has a real curious poster.

Has anyone watch Vietnam in HD? Wow. Some really mind-blowing footage. Its put together in a great way give you a sense of how the soldiers felt going in initially think it would be an easy job, over in a few months to end.

Highly reccomended. You wont be able to stop once you watch the first episode.

user posted image
  • RoadRunner71 likes this

expressgoalie12
  • expressgoalie12

Si parla Italiano?

• Members

Posted 07 April 2012 - 03:46 PM

I'm thinking about making my own documentary about the real lives of high school hockey players. Let me know aht you guys think about it

mark-2007
  • mark-2007

Big Homie

• The Connection

Posted 07 April 2012 - 05:06 PM Edited by mark-2007, 07 April 2012 - 05:09 PM.

Mentioned above, I recently watched this on Netflix.

user posted image
The Bridge, 2004

It's a documentary about jumpers from the Golden Gate Bridge. They've got actual footage of people jumping from the bridge, which is quite shocking. Initially I thought it was just some well done re-enactment using greenscreen or whatever it is, but no, apparently the filmmakers applied for a permit to film the bridge under the pretence that they were shooting for a film "to capture the powerful, spectacular intersection of monument and nature that takes place every day at the Golden Gate Bridge". The filmmakers then interviewed the families and friends of the jumpers (I believe initially without their knowledge that they had any footage of the suicides). It focuses on a number of suicide victims of differing ages, genders, etc, why they jumped, their families' thoughts on it. It's fascinating to see how accepting some are compared to others (one guy still thinks his sister was somehow pushed). It also interviews a survivor of the Bridge jump.

My only issue was that the main focus of the film seemed to be a guy called Gene. I guess they got the most footage out of family and friends compared to other people, but there were other people who only received minimal attention in comparison.

Overall, I really liked it. I wouldn't say I enjoyed it - it was quite harrowing and has stuck in my mind - but at the same time I found it fascinating and moving in equal parts. Highly recommended.

---

Netflix looks like it has some great documentaries on, I'm going to check some of them out. That Vietnam one looks good too, Pink. How'd you see it, is it on tv currently?

Mister Pink
  • Mister Pink

ThePinkFloydSound

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 07 April 2012 - 06:18 PM

I watched The Bridge a few years ago. It's a must see.

Yeah, I found Vietnam in HD on youtube. You wont regret watching it man. icon14.gif

AlexGTAGamer
  • AlexGTAGamer

If you can't laugh, you might as well cry.

• Members

Posted 07 April 2012 - 09:59 PM

I'm currently watching:

user posted image

It's quite strange to see Al Murray "The Pub Landlord", the guy who takes the mick out of the French and Germans doing a documentary on WWII, which includes interviews with French and Germans, among other war vets, historians and so on.

It's actually very interesting and I'm glad I brought the DVD. I'm learning quite a few bits of information, even more so than from the odd episodes of the war in Europe on "WWII in Colour and HD".

Slamman
  • Slamman

Godawful-Disturbed-Earl Root

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 09 April 2012 - 03:11 AM Edited by Slamman, 09 April 2012 - 07:36 AM.

Hope you'll allow something of a stretch. I was reading a Newsweek article that prompted me looking up The Grapes of Wrath, this is a nice YT video regarding the film, and while it's a story, it's based on the actual events of the time, bringing them to life....like the Titanic film, in a way

Again, Newsweek got me wondering about some of these backstories, also Stephen King has mentioned her a lot in books past

To addendum, the Bridge thing seemed too morbid to me, but I opted to look at the trailer, the whole film is also on YouTube, as is this 2 part interview, perhaps a better sample of what to expect

Earl Root, passed away from cancer, he had come out to people like me and friends about his friend who wound up killing himself, and he was staunchly opposed, as I am too, being a religious person from my family upbringing, Suicide is just not the way to have your life end, and that is a disturbing video
Also, to add to, someone was questioning how jumping into water can kill you, that's a somewhat good question, it's the impact and the cold I believe also playing a part, but you'd think that one might survive that, whereas jumping off a building to hard surfaces is surely more fatal
We've had two cases I can recall in our own Metro of suicides reported.

John The Grudge
  • John The Grudge

Soldier

• Members

Posted 10 April 2012 - 07:28 AM

QUOTE (Slamman @ Monday, Apr 9 2012, 03:11)
Also, to add to, someone was questioning how jumping into water can kill you, that's a somewhat good question, it's the impact and the cold I believe also playing a part, but you'd think that one might survive that, whereas jumping off a building to hard surfaces is surely more fatal

I believe at a certain impact speed, hitting water is as good as hitting concrete.

Pagelzilla
  • Pagelzilla

Blowjob Enthusiast

• Members

Posted 10 April 2012 - 03:14 PM

QUOTE (John The Grudge @ Tuesday, Apr 10 2012, 01:28)
QUOTE (Slamman @ Monday, Apr 9 2012, 03:11)

I believe at a certain impact speed, hitting water is as good as hitting concrete.

Mythbusters tested this. Hitting water at such velocity is very similar to hitting concrete. And they tested a height much lower than the golden gate bridge.

On topic: after work I'll definitely check out the vietnam in HD, thanks for the suggestions everyone

Rebel
  • Rebel

Woop Woop!

• Leone Family Mafia

Posted 10 April 2012 - 09:13 PM

I just watched The Bridge earlier after reading this topic. I saw it on Netflix a couple times while I had a free month but never bothered with it. I have to say I wasn't affected in a way I thought I would be, I was surprised at a couple of guys managing to hold people back though from jumping. But honestly, it didn't give me any thought provoking moments. I guess all I can say is, the documentary pretty much gives you what it says on the tin in terms of what happens.

I'll check out the HD Vietnam though, I much prefer war documentaries and such.

Slamman
  • Slamman

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 13 April 2012 - 09:26 PM Edited by Slamman, 13 April 2012 - 09:33 PM.

I felt the segment talking about one moment, the guy's talking on his cell, the next, he's straddling the railing readying himself to jump, that just strikes me as part of a disorder, mentally. It's not the most adept way to handle the material, but they probably weren't expecting what they did document, that it was something of a shock. We've become pretty desensitized to this news day in and day out of tragic events. Really, when avoidable, it's so much worse

Mockage
  • Mockage

deadringer

• The Precinct
  • None

Posted 16 April 2012 - 02:06 AM

Just saw "The Boys of Baraka", a documentary covering 4 Baltimore middle-school children attending a boarding school in Kenya. Not only does it show conflicts among them and other students, but it displays how they obtained a sense of maturity and good morality through working together in projects and partaking in events together as well. The main logic in the doc. really shows how working together can give a good outcome.

Mister Pink
  • Mister Pink

ThePinkFloydSound

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 16 April 2012 - 10:20 AM

Sounds good ^

I watched Project Nim and Hoop Dreams.

Project Nim is about an experiment done in the 70's/80's about family who raised a chimp like a human and thought the chimp to sign language. It's really amazing stuff to see. However the experiment could only last 5 years and where Nim would live after that wont always be the best, including in the hands of animal testers.

Hoop Dreams has won many awards. It follows to Afro-Americans from the ages of 14 up to uni, trying to make it to the NBA. Shot over 5 years, it's a must see.

Slamman
  • Slamman

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 17 April 2012 - 11:32 AM

I love musician Bios, and it's safe to call them Docs..... Docs of Rock

expressgoalie12
  • expressgoalie12

Si parla Italiano?

• Members

Posted 20 April 2012 - 10:42 PM

This movie is documentry style following kids trying to get home from a zombie apoc. Directed by the master of horror himself George A Romero.This movie is fake but documentry style

This is the trailer
Movie trailer

Rebel
  • Rebel

Woop Woop!

• Leone Family Mafia

Posted 21 April 2012 - 09:42 AM

Ah Diary of the Dead. I got it on DVD, its an okay film I thought there wasn't enough action going on though compared to other zombie films I've seen. I did think the ending was good from what I can remember. Its a good watch if you're into zombies.

expressgoalie12
  • expressgoalie12

Si parla Italiano?

• Members

Posted 21 April 2012 - 06:13 PM

I liked it because it was more real life

Mister Pink
  • Mister Pink

ThePinkFloydSound

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 07 March 2013 - 11:24 AM

I watched the Cocaine Cowboys documentaries as I mentioned on another page. They're amazing. You really feel that all the excess and over-the-top-ness of Scarface is justified and it makes the film seem realistic now and that extends to Vice City too. We could do with another open-world 80's Miami game, really.

So, I can't believe I almost let this topic die. Some good docs I watched recently were Searching For Sugar Man. It won an Oscar in the end so you guys would probably heard of it.

trip
  • trip

~

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 26 July 2013 - 02:04 AM

Page 5...page f*cking 5!!!...that is where this topic was. Oh and there are even Slamman posts on this page to help along with calculating it's age and dust.

The Dungeon Masters
user posted image
QUOTE (blurb from IMDB)
An evil drow-elf is displaced by Hurricane Katrina. A sanitation worker lures friends into a Sphere of Annihilation. A failed supervillain starts a cable access show involving ninjas, ... See full summary

I decided to watch this because blush.gif I played D&D back in the day. Let's all be very thankful the the original D&D hasn't changed much in the past bunch of years. Although, the changes in the world may have actually made the people who play it today slightly different from the people who played it in the early 80's.

A well produced, well paced documentary. You won't learn anything about D&D, but you will gain a good insight into the people that have weird obsession issues.

Rudy
  • Rudy

Mack Pimp

• Zaibatsu
  • France

Posted 26 July 2013 - 04:10 AM

Sounds good trip, will see it! smile.gif

I'd like to recommend ya'll The Bridge. It's quite an heartfelt and an emotional film that details the exploits of "jumpers" on the Golden Gate Bridge. It has a profound effect on the viewer and I guarantee that it will stick with you the rest of the day, perhaps even week after watching it.

Secondly, I'd like to recommend Baraka. It's a f*ckin' awesome movie, and trust me you'll be stunned by the amazing visuals in this movie.

The Devil and Daniel Johnston It's a really good portrait of a mental descent! Hghly recommended.

John The Grudge
  • John The Grudge

Soldier

• Members

Posted 26 July 2013 - 07:16 AM Edited by John The Grudge, 26 July 2013 - 07:21 AM.

I think my favorite documentary is The Fog Of War by Errol Morris. It's a masterpiece without question.

EDIT: I've just realised how old this topic is. There's a good chance I've posted in it before. Apologies.

Voodoo
  • Voodoo

Cyclop have 9 years

• The Precinct
  • None

Posted 27 July 2013 - 12:55 AM

I've been rolling through the BBC History of World War II box set. Series 10 on Auschwitz is six, detailed episodes that document all aspects of the planning, execution and outcome of the Nazis' final solution in Poland. It's both depressing and fascinating. I don't think any other documentary series on the subject has this much detail or as many candid interviews with people who were actually there. Really outstanding.

http://en.wikipedia....of_World_War_II

A Warning From History is also particularly good. I'm still working on the rest of them.

Mister Pink
  • Mister Pink

ThePinkFloydSound

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 01 August 2013 - 01:16 PM

QUOTE (Voodoo @ Saturday, Jul 27 2013, 01:55)
I've been rolling through the BBC History of World War II box set. Series 10 on Auschwitz is six, detailed episodes that document all aspects of the planning, execution and outcome of the Nazis' final solution in Poland. It's both depressing and fascinating. I don't think any other documentary series on the subject has this much detail or as many candid interviews with people who were actually there. Really outstanding.

http://en.wikipedia....of_World_War_II

A Warning From History is also particularly good. I'm still working on the rest of them.

Cheers for that. I know my housemates will be really interested in checking them out. icon14.gif

I'm looking forward to this documentary called Brookly Castle

"Brooklyn Castle is the remarkable and improbable true story of I.S. 318 in Brooklyn. The school, where 65% of students live below the federal poverty level, has the highest ranked junior high chess team in the nation."

user posted image

Haven't been watching too many documentaries or TV/film for that matter lately. Will be soon though when I get settled in to the new place and new job. Last few things I watched were some crappy TV docu's about human trafficking and prostitution.

Mister Pink
  • Mister Pink

ThePinkFloydSound

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 18 December 2013 - 01:18 PM

Bump: 

Recently watched Blackfish. I'm sure many of you have heard of it - very compelling...

http://www.rottentom...blackfish_2013/

blackfish20poster.jpg

Brobinski
  • Brobinski

PYPU

• Leone Family Mafia

Posted 18 December 2013 - 07:38 PM

Bump: 

Recently watched Blackfish. I'm sure many of you have heard of it - very compelling...

http://www.rottentom...blackfish_2013/

blackfish20poster.jpg

I watched this just last week. There's been a lot of buzz about it, and rightly so. Wrote this on it at the time:

Gabriela Cowperthwaite's gripping documentary takes a harsh look at the impact that prolonged captivity has on both the killer whales of SeaWorld and the trainers who care for them.

Looking back over a number of decades, Blackfish tracks attacks on numerous SeaWorld trainers with a number of them resulting in the deaths of the trainers directly caused by the animals they cared for. But the blame is not laid at the feet of the people who spend every day with these majestic creatures.

SeaWorld itself is on trial in Blackfish. The company is accused of distorting information, evading animal care and capture laws and bare faced lying about scientifically proven information to both their own staff and the public. Many of the people interviewed in the film, all "former" trainers rather than any current ones, were ashamed to say how little they actually knew when training them. Killer whales don't live for around 25-35 years like they're told by their SeaWorld managers, they naturally live very similar lifespans to humans. And those curled dorsal fins, like the famous Tilikum has? Not a single documented case in the wild, but common enough in captivity to convince trainers that it happens to about 1 in 4 males.

The most emotional reactions that Cowperthwaite manages to elicit aren't about the physical health of the animals. Killer whales are incredibly intelligent animals and as a consequence have very powerful emotions. These incredibly social creatures who spend their entire lives with their families. One interviewee recalls capturing a whale calf and separating it from its family and describes it as the worst thing he's ever done or seen, despite being part of a number of violent revolutions in Central and South America.

Later there is a sequence dealing with removing a captive-born calf from his mother to ship him to another park. You might not believe that whales are all that intelligent, but when you hear the prolonged, desperate cries from a mother to a son that isn't there, you'll damn well believe that they can feel.

Emotional toll is present on most faces of most people seen here. The people who worked with the creatures have been lied to. They got into the job because they love animals so much, yet it's only through spending so much time in the system that constantly lied to them, and made them lie to the public, that they realised how much damage they really enabled.

It's an incredibly sad so much harm has come to both animal and man through places like SeaWorld. They can claim scientific research as much as they like, but seeing a huge, mystical beats performing like a dog before going to a small tank to cry, or the grieving families of a trainer who died at the hands of something they loved and you can see how wrong this whole thing is.

In the same way I'm glad animal circuses are (mostly) a thing of the past, Blackfish is a film that makes me hope my children will grow up in a world where attractions such as SeaWorld are a barbaric regret rather than a reality.

It could have done with someone on the SeaWorld side of things, to try and argue for the scientific benefits of keeping such creatures in captivity. When nobody would talk it just makes it seem like there are none, reinforcing the circus image of SeaWorld.

I'm looking to see if I can catch The Act of Killing and How to Make Money Selling Drugs sometime in the future.

The Act of Killing looks as trippy as it does disturbing:

And How To Make Money Selling Drugs just looks stylish and like a hell of a lot of fun:

• Mister Pink likes this

SAUL_SILVER
  • SAUL_SILVER

DILLIGAF---GIRFUY

• Members
  • Scotland

Posted 19 December 2013 - 12:32 PM Edited by SAUL_SILVER, 19 December 2013 - 12:33 PM.

Seen these recently and found them interesting.

Minecraft: The Story of Mojang

http://www.imdb.com/...8/?ref_=nv_sr_2

The first year in the life of independent game studio "Mojang" following the landmark success of their debut title, "Minecraft."

Indie Game: The Movie

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1942884/

A documentary that follows the journeys of indie game developers as they create games and release those works, and themselves, to the world.

• Mister Pink likes this

Mister Pink
  • Mister Pink

ThePinkFloydSound

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 19 December 2013 - 03:40 PM

@brobinski: Nicely written as usual ;)

Oh and The Act of Killing is next on my list after seeing it on RT's. Bizarre story..

@saulsilver: Indie Game was quite interesting. Amazing to see how some indie games come in to fruition and all the behind the scenes. 

The Mojang one looks interesting as well. 

• SAUL_SILVER likes this

RoadRunner71
  • RoadRunner71

Try to Run, Try to Hide

• Members
  • None

Posted 19 December 2013 - 07:59 PM

I shall check out Crumb. It has a real curious poster.

Has anyone watch Vietnam in HD? Wow. Some really mind-blowing footage. Its put together in a great way give you a sense of how the soldiers felt going in initially think it would be an easy job, over in a few months to end.

Highly reccomended. You wont be able to stop once you watch the first episode.

Vietnam_in_HD_DVD_Cover.jpg

Incredible and shocking footage. I've just finished the first episode and going for the next one now. Thank you for posting it :^:

• Mister Pink likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users