Photo

Documentaries Discussion..

134 replies to this topic
Tyler
  • Tyler

time is a flat circle

• Unknown

Posted 23 April 2011 - 02:05 AM

Hey, any Philadelphia cats will love this Louis Theroux docu on crime in the area. wink.gif

Fnorg
  • Fnorg

OG

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 23 April 2011 - 08:10 AM

Haven't seen that one, thanks for reminding me. By the way, earlier this month Theroux released a follow-up on the Phelps family documentary from 2007. I haven't seen it, but I doubt it's bad.

Tyler
  • Tyler

time is a flat circle

• Unknown

Posted 23 April 2011 - 09:05 AM

Haha, in fact that was my first Louis documentary. It's very good work man, totally catches how the Phelps family is starting to deteriorate, and how the ones sticking around are still f*cking lunatics in their own degree.

trip
  • trip

~

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 23 April 2011 - 11:05 AM

QUOTE (Unoriginal44 @ Apr 23 2011, 02:05)
Hey, any Philadelphia cats will love this Louis Theroux docu on crime in the area. wink.gif

Neat. We are called Killadelphia for a reason.
I'll have to take a look around and see if I can find this somewhere other than youtube. Too much of a bitch to watch youtube on the big tv and all.

Mister Pink
  • Mister Pink

ThePinkFloydSound

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 23 April 2011 - 12:16 PM

QUOTE (tripmills @ Apr 22 2011, 18:44)
^^^^^
You have no idea how much I hate Billy Mitchel.

I happen to have an account at Twin Galaxies. I also happen to have a top 10 DK average highscore. I've been planning a trip up to Fun Land to make it official for the past bunch of years. Someday I will get my ass up there and hope I don't choke - I'm not a big fan of having people watch me play.

I don't know if you've seen the documentary but the general concenus after/during watching the doc is that Mitchel is a total wanker. The sort of underdog story to the doc is brings the charm to this film.

Wow that's cool. You should definitely do it!

trip
  • trip

~

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 23 April 2011 - 12:39 PM

QUOTE (ThePinkFloydSound @ Apr 23 2011, 12:16)
QUOTE (tripmills @ Apr 22 2011, 18:44)
^^^^^
You have no idea how much I hate Billy Mitchel.

I happen to have an account at Twin Galaxies.  I also happen to have a top 10 DK average highscore.  I've been planning a trip up to Fun Land to make it official for the past bunch of years.  Someday I will get my ass up there and hope I don't choke - I'm not a big fan of having people watch me play.

I don't know if you've seen the documentary but the general concenus after/during watching the doc is that Mitchel is a total wanker. The sort of underdog story to the doc is brings the charm to this film.

Wow that's cool. You should definitely do it!

I've seen the docu a number of times, and have been following the battle between Steve and Billy myself for years.

Steve recently beat Billy and then Billy came back and bested Steve again. Unfortunately, the last time was a live refereed game, so it is kind of hard to say he cheated.

The documentary is great. Even if you aren't into Donkey Kong or old arcade games, it is just a great movie all around. Just the personality differences between Steve and Billy make this more of a social commentary than a move about arcade games.

Side story;
If I see a DK machine in public, my wife won't let me play. One quarter lasts me a mighty long time. If she is feeling kind she will let me play enough to smoke the high score - then I have to kill all my guys to enter my initials.

Even though I am not into tattoos, I have been seriously considering getting this on my arm.
user posted image

My wife (was serious) and suggested I get the whole first level on my back. She claims my love for the game will never fade or die, so it isn't like a big tattoo that I would regret later in life.

TheCacti
  • TheCacti

oh sh*t there's a horse in the hospital

• Leone Family Mafia

Posted 23 April 2011 - 04:05 PM

The biggest douchebag in The King of Kong undoubtedly is Brian "there's a potential Donkey Kong kill screen coming up if anyone's interested" Kuh:
user posted image
Honestly, he made Billy Mitchell look like an alright guy..

Anyways, that movie is great and is an exemplary tale of underdog vs. self-lauding douchebag, and the fact that it's a true story makes it all the more heart-warming. I actually wrote Steve an email after my 2nd viewing just to say what an inspiration he was and how happy I was to know that he triumphed. He never replied. asshole

@trip,
There's something about a hippie riding a harley with the entire 1st level of Donkey Kong tattooed on his back that genuinely frightens me catspider.gif

trip
  • trip

~

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 26 April 2011 - 09:28 PM

QUOTE (TheCacti @ Apr 23 2011, 16:05)
@trip,
There's something about a hippie riding a harley with the entire 1st level of Donkey Kong tattooed on his back that genuinely frightens me catspider.gif

Thanks for the motivation - now I think I may just have to do it.

Mister Pink
  • Mister Pink

ThePinkFloydSound

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 09 May 2011 - 03:57 PM

@TheCacti: Yes, he was a funny character. Must watch that doc again.

Last night I watched the The Paradise Lost. A film about 3 males convicted of the murder, rape and torture of 3 8yo boys. This film will make you question authority and the justice system.

Voodoo
  • Voodoo

Cyclop have 9 years

• The Precinct
  • None

Posted 12 May 2011 - 01:46 PM

Cocaine Cowboys

I keep forgetting to mention this here. Anyone interested in the Miami drug trade in the 70's and 80's (and I'll bet there are a few of you) should see this doc. It features interviews with some of the actual players in the trade at the time along with members of law enforcement and archival news footage. The score for the film was even composed and performed by Jan Hammer. Highly recommended.

In the 1980s, ruthless Colombian cocaine barons invaded Miami with a brand of violence unseen in this country since Prohibition-era Chicago - and it put the city on the map. "Cocaine Cowboys" is the true story of how Miami became the drug, murder and cash capital of the United States, told by the people who made it all happen.

A subsequent doc, Cocaine Cowboys II: Hustlin' with the Godmother was released in 2008. It's currently in my Nutflix queue but I've heard that it's not as good as the first one.

Set in 1991 on the inner-city streets of Oakland, California, cocaine dealer Charles Cosby has his life changed forever when he writes a fan letter to the "Cocaine Godmother" Griselda Blanco, who is serving time at a nearby federal prison. Six months later, Cosby is a multi-millionaire, Blanco's lover, and the head of her $40 million a year cocaine business. Also known as "The Black Widow" for her propensity to permanently dispose of her men when she's done with them, Blanco will stop at nothing to ensure that Charles is faithful to her. Cosby soon learns that he's in way over his head.

Sanjeem
  • Sanjeem

• Members

Posted 14 May 2011 - 09:21 PM

I Loved cocaine cowboys, I watched it some time ago and The Godmother is the most scariest woman I have ever heard of probably, reminds of Catalina from GTA. Anyway I have just started watching this. The Assasination of Alexander Litvinenko.

JoeyLeone25
  • JoeyLeone25

AMF Elder

• Andolini Mafia Family

Posted 04 June 2011 - 12:14 PM

QUOTE (gta3kuruma @ Mar 2 2011, 23:11)
I'm looking forward to the Ayrton Senna documentary which has been released but won't be ut here until June. I've heard good things about it and I only really watch documentaries about Formula 1 or if it's by Louis theroux. Speaking fo Louis Theroux,

Saw Senna last night and I really enjoyed it, especially since I am by no means a fan of Formula 1 racing. It's is a brilliant and moving examination of a rising sporting star caught up in the whirlwind of politics, rivalries and stardom, when all he wanted to do was race and win by any means necessary, not for the adulation of millions, but his love for sport so close to his heart.

Lochie
  • Lochie

darkness washed over the dude

• The Connection

Posted 05 June 2011 - 01:13 AM

Watched Dark Days a few weeks ago, being homeless is pretty tough but being homeless and living underground in a subway tunnel is just on a whole other level. It's amazing how some of the people down there managed to adapt and survive, and some of them already have some pretty vicious background stories before they became homeless.

Mister Pink
  • Mister Pink

ThePinkFloydSound

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 05 June 2011 - 07:02 AM

QUOTE (methods. @ Jun 5 2011, 02:13)
Watched Dark Days a few weeks ago, being homeless is pretty tough but being homeless and living underground in a subway tunnel is just on a whole other level. It's amazing how some of the people down there managed to adapt and survive, and some of them already have some pretty vicious background stories before they became homeless.

Seen that one a few years back. A great watch.

Kuruma.
  • Kuruma.

Tank Hankerous

• The Yardies
  • Scotland

Posted 11 June 2011 - 12:52 PM

QUOTE (JoeyLeone25 @ Saturday, Jun 4 2011, 13:14)
I'm looking forward to the Ayrton Senna documentary which has been released but won't be ut here until June. I've heard good things about it and I only really watch documentaries about Formula 1 or if it's by Louis theroux. Speaking fo Louis Theroux,

Saw Senna last night and I really enjoyed it, especially since I am by no means a fan of Formula 1 racing. It's is a brilliant and moving examination of a rising sporting star caught up in the whirlwind of politics, rivalries and stardom, when all he wanted to do was race and win by any means necessary, not for the adulation of millions, but his love for sport so close to his heart.

I saw it last night and loved it, you don't need to be a formula 1 or even a sports fan to enjoy it, some parts were actually quite shocking even though I knew some were going to happen, when it came to Imola, which was the race he died in I knew what was going to happen which gave it an even bigger impact and it also highlighted what senna was actually like in his life away form formula 1. I would definitely recommend this to anyone.

Mister Pink
  • Mister Pink

ThePinkFloydSound

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 25 June 2011 - 06:32 PM

QUOTE (gta3kuruma @ Saturday, Jun 11 2011, 13:52)
QUOTE (JoeyLeone25 @ Saturday, Jun 4 2011, 13:14)

I saw it last night and loved it, you don't need to be a formula 1 or even a sports fan to enjoy it, some parts were actually quite shocking even though I knew some were going to happen, when it came to Imola, which was the race he died in I knew what was going to happen which gave it an even bigger impact and it also highlighted what senna was actually like in his life away form formula 1. I would definitely recommend this to anyone.

Going to watch this tonight. Can't wait!

Andyzoot
  • Andyzoot

Player Hater

• Zaibatsu

Posted 25 June 2011 - 06:59 PM

I wanna mention 'Dogtown and the Z Boys'. It's a documentary that tells the story of the origins of modern skateboarding from the 70's with the Zephyr Crew in Los Angeles. I only have a passing interest in skateboarding (which basically means I can't land an ollie to save my life) but I found it really interesting. There's interviews with all the key players in the story and original footage from the days gone by. If you have at least a mild interest in skateboarding then I suggest you check it out, the bit where they all describe the birth of vert skateboarding is great and the soundtrack is pretty damn cool too.

trip
  • trip

~

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 25 June 2011 - 09:31 PM

QUOTE (Pandazoot @ Saturday, Jun 25 2011, 14:59)
I wanna mention 'Dogtown and the Z Boys'. It's a documentary that tells the story of the origins of modern skateboarding from the 70's with the Zephyr Crew in Los Angeles. I only have a passing interest in skateboarding (which basically means I can't land an ollie to save my life) but I found it really interesting. There's interviews with all the key players in the story and original footage from the days gone by. If you have at least a mild interest in skateboarding then I suggest you check it out, the bit where they all describe the birth of vert skateboarding is great and the soundtrack is pretty damn cool too.

I'm here to second all of that.

I got my first board in the 70s and grew along when the wide boards and fat trucks showed up in the 80s. I wasn't too bad on a half pipe, but I was by no means a skater.

'Dogtown and the Z Boys' is a great documentary even if you don't really skate. Just to be able to see the crazy beginnings of skateboarding and realize it wasn't that long ago is great.

Mister Pink
  • Mister Pink

ThePinkFloydSound

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 26 June 2011 - 01:26 PM

Seen a film or of doc about something like that Trip. Vaguely remember it, my girlfriend remembers too. I have a memory of guys saying they used all swimming pools and that some where kept sort of quiet and you had to get in to a sort of clique or get respect to get in a use some of the empty pools these guys were using. My memory is so bad.

Watched the Senna documentary and it is very impressive and quite sad too. Couldn't help shedding a man-tear during it. I read that the first cut of the film was 7 hours, then 5hour and there's a long version and a shorter one. I seen the 'shorter' one. Think it's 1.45 or something. One of the better documentaries I've seen this year.

This afternoon I watched an hour long fly on the wall doc on Shaun Ryder, lead sing of The Happy Mondays and Black Grape. You GTA heads will know him as the voice of Maccer in San Andreas. He's just off heroin and his assets are frozen to to a legal battle with his old record label. He's kind of in a bad way but he seems like a nice guy in a way. He's a likeable character. The drugs have made his brain to mush though and it's quite apparent. He seems to be doing much better these days.

Lithium
  • Lithium

Draugr

• Andolini Mafia Family

Posted 28 June 2011 - 01:46 PM

I watched A Crude Awakening a couple of nights ago. It's kind of scary that they are saying the worlds oil supply will peak in another 30-40 year or so at the rate were consuming it. After the oils gone, basically the world will go in to a recession and change everyone's way of life. Kind of makes me want to do travelling before its too expensive.

user posted image

Voodoo
  • Voodoo

Cyclop have 9 years

• The Precinct
  • None

Posted 28 June 2011 - 02:06 PM

It's already happening. US peak oil happened in 1970. All of the data points to world peak oil happening in 2010 or this year. It is all downhill from here, it's going to be a quick and nasty ride and there isn't a thing we can do individually to prevent it. Great doc, though.

Anyone interested in peak oil and world overpopulation should also check out Blind Spot. Here's a great clip from the doc.

Also, check out Collapse. This doc is absolutely fascinating and it makes a lot of sense.

Andyzoot
  • Andyzoot

Player Hater

• Zaibatsu

Posted 30 June 2011 - 12:50 PM

QUOTE (Pandazoot @ Saturday, Jun 25 2011, 19:59)

It's funny that I should mention this just last week as yesterday Lovefilm (the UK's answer to Netflix) decided to send me 'Riding Giants'. This documentary is pretty much the same as 'Dogtown and Z Boys' but it follows the story of surfing from it's first surge in popularity in the 1950's in Hawaii through to the the modern day version today with the smaller boards and bigger waves. It's worth pointing out that I have absolutely no interest in surfing, I've never done it before unless you count the time I was on holiday at the age of 6 and somebody gave me a surfboard (which I'm pretty sure was made of polystyrene or something) and I just floated about on it all day. But after watching this documentary and hearing the surfers talk about the adrenaline rush they get and how surfing is not just a hobby but a way of life, it has made me really want to have a go at surfing. They also talk about the dangers of surfing too and there are interviews with big innovators of the surfing world such as Laird Hamilton. Some of the photography is brilliant, especially when the documentary features the big waves and when you see Laird Hamilton surfing a wave called Teahupoo it is jaw dropping. This is a good documentary, if you have any interest in surfing then it's a definite watch. But even if you don't like surfing, this documentary may make you change your mind about it.

TheCacti
  • TheCacti

• Leone Family Mafia

Posted 04 July 2011 - 03:34 AM Edited by TheCacti, 09 July 2011 - 03:40 AM.

That sounds good, Pandazoot. I love a good film/documentary that can really change one's attitude toward something. I'm no skateboarder nor surfer but those films sound like they offer a real peak into the lives of those who embrace the sports as their sanctuary. If it can help me better understand the subculture of those respective sports, then I'm all for a viewing! Speaking of which, the last documentary I watched really blew my mind.

I'm a footy fan and felt that I was pretty familiar with Andrés Escobar and his untimely death, but boy did I know nothing. The Two Escobars gives an incredibly detailed account of the rapid rise of soccer in Colombia coinciding at a time when drug cartels were becoming more and more powerful, and how the deaths of Andrés Escobar and Pablo Escobar marked the end of the glory years of Colombian soccer. Ultimately, it's a chilling tale about how soccer, drugs, and violence had become fatally woven into the social fabric of Colombia during the 80s and 90s.

The story is told from multiple first person accounts of people - right-hand men, family, friends, and teammates of the respective Escobars - who were living the dream and the subsequent nightmare. At times I was moved to tears, while other times I was engulfed in the sheer jubilation that the sport brought so many people and their genuine effort to be positive during such trying times. It was strong, profound, informative, and a downright well-made documentary.

trip
  • trip

~

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 04 July 2011 - 01:13 PM

I finally got around to watching 'Marwencol' last night. Aside from the basics, I really had no idea how it was going to play out.

Because they did such a great job on the pacing of Mark's story, I feel I can't really mention anything from the movie without spoiling something.

In case you don't know the basics - This guy ,Mark, was badly beaten by 5 people one night - suffering serious brain damage, and losing all of his memory. He had to relearn everything as if he was a new born child. He develops his own therapy by building really detailed dioramas of WWII. Well, it is more like one huge diorama WWII town.

user posted image

I wish I could say more, but like I said, I fear saying too much would spoil this well put together film. I will say this one thing(because it is what held me off from watching it for so long); it wasn't near as sad as I had anticipated. I smiled and chuckled and was amazed throughout the whole film.

Honestly, they could have padded 2 more hours into this film and I would have been happy to watch.

Lithium
  • Lithium

Draugr

• Andolini Mafia Family

Posted 04 July 2011 - 02:14 PM

I watched Running With Arnold the other day. It's basically all about Arnold Swarzennegger running for governor and how he won mainly for his popularity in movies.

I wouldn't say it's worth a watch, but people who like politics may like the movie.

user posted image

TheCacti
  • TheCacti

• Leone Family Mafia

Posted 13 July 2011 - 04:08 AM

Just saw Marwencol the other week, and it was a charming little film indeed. It's not one of those documentaries that I'll obsess over and go back to see multiple times, but it's an inspirational story and would highly recommend it to anyone interested in the real artists of the world.

Tonight in class we watched The Tillman Story in its entirety and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Pat Tillman was a professional football player who decided to put his lucrative, comfortable career on hold to serve his country at war and ends up getting killed in the hills of Afghanistan. This documentary shows 1) how the mass media were totally inept at investigative journalism and how just about everything they told the public was a lie, and mainly 2) how senior ranking military officials and the powers that be in Washington decided to cover up the truth from the beginning, and purposefully twist his story to ultimately support the war. But Pat's family was not content with the story they got, and decided they wouldn't rest until they found out what really happened on April 22 when their son died.

Despite the serious, sobering context of the film, it was punctuated with some humorous moments that you couldn't help but chuckle at, like when...aww I don't wanna ruin it!

Not being an NFL fan, I didn't really know who Pat Tillman was, but am glad I got to see this film. Pat was my kind of guy and someone that I can try and emulate with my own life. RIP Pat.

Mister Pink
  • Mister Pink

ThePinkFloydSound

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 14 July 2011 - 02:57 PM Edited by ThePinkFloydSound, 14 July 2011 - 03:03 PM.

The Tillman Story and The Two Escobars are now on my list amongst many other great docs you guys have posted. One though, that I haven't seen yet that's first on my list is American Movie.

"Documentary about an aspiring filmmaker's attempts to finance his dream project by finally completing the low-budget horror film he abandoned years before." - IMDB

It won the Grand Jury Prize at Sundance and the subject and his friend Mike Schank have become somewhat cult heros with Family Guy even introducing them in to a short clip.

user posted image

I got the urge to watch it after seeing a small clip of Mike Schank. Check it out...

TheCacti
  • TheCacti

• Leone Family Mafia

Posted 15 July 2011 - 02:08 AM Edited by TheCacti, 15 July 2011 - 04:41 PM.

^^lol, that looks ridiculous, ridiculously awesome, you know?

edit: Mick, after seeing the trailer I knew I had to see this immediately. Fortunately it's on youtube. It's like a classic quote generator. I couldn't believe how well Mike plays the guitar, considering that he is more than out there. Thanks for the recommendation! I'll definitely be telling some friends about this one. smile.gif you know?

Mark: "I will be god damned if I don't get the American dream." In my opinion, this is really what the film is all about; an ordinary guy with an extraordinary passion for pursuing the American dream. You can't help but admire that kind of attitude.

Lochie
  • Lochie

darkness washed over the dude

• The Connection

Posted 21 July 2011 - 08:37 AM

Has anyone heard of The Mark of Cain? It's a documentary about Russian prison tattoo's, that sh*t is so fascinating.

SagaciousKJB
  • SagaciousKJB

Captain tl;dr

• The Connection

Posted 22 July 2011 - 08:03 AM

Hey, guys, I was wondering if you could help me identify two documentaries that I've seen at one point. I cannot remember the names of them, I think I watched them on Charter on DeMand....

Anyway, the first documentary about a homeless man living in I believe LA, and they give him $100k to see what he will do with it.

The other one is about a town in New England somewhere... I believe Rhode Island, where a lot of Ethiopian refugees relocated and there were a lot of racial tensions amongst them.

I've never been able to track these ones down./

Anyway, I'm a real documentary enthusiast, it's hard to really say which ones were my favorite.

Also, i still need to watch Cocaine Cowboys.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users