The General Cricket Thread

316 replies to this topic
Linc.
  • Linc.

Seeking and Destroying since 1997...

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 01 January 2014 - 11:42 AM

Sad that we've lost another legend of the game. He was probably one of the greatest all rounders of all time for sure. No doubt he will be in the public eye for years to come, no man of this stature can ever disappear. :)
  • theadmiral likes this

theadmiral
  • theadmiral

Founder And Opening Batsman: Vinewood Cricket Club

• The Precinct
  • Trinidad-and-Tobago

Posted 01 January 2014 - 12:16 PM Edited by theadmiral, 01 January 2014 - 12:18 PM.

If he played one more test, he would have most likely beaten Ricky Ponting's record and become number 2.

Sachin: 15921

Ponting: 13378

Kallis: 13289

Dravid: 13288

Dravid beaten out by 1 run! I guess the fact that Kallis wouldn't stick around for 1 more to put his place above Ponting shows that he's not that concerned about records , personal milestones, or stats which is even more commendable.

Meanwhile in India, Rahul Dravid bashes his wall in until his knuckles are bloody. (Only kidding!)

D4 Damager
  • D4 Damager

Listening to the Mandolin Rain...

• Members
  • None

Posted 01 January 2014 - 02:59 PM

Think Kallis is probably the greatest modern cricketer.

• theadmiral likes this

theadmiral
  • theadmiral

• The Precinct
  • Trinidad-and-Tobago

Posted 01 January 2014 - 03:12 PM

Not only that, he's one of my favorite ever along with Brian Lara.

Linc.
  • Linc.

Seeking and Destroying since 1997...

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 02 January 2014 - 01:07 AM

Not only that, he's one of my favorite ever along with Brian Lara.
The funny thing is in twenty years we'll be talking about how legendary one of the modern day cricketers were and how THEY are the greatest modern player. Very interesting to imagine it.

And in forty years we'll be talking about someone who isn't even born! :rol:

theadmiral
  • theadmiral

• The Precinct
  • Trinidad-and-Tobago

Posted 03 January 2014 - 06:42 PM

Brad Haddin what a legend. 5-0 Aussies I'm now pretty sure of it.

D4 Damager
  • D4 Damager

Listening to the Mandolin Rain...

• Members
  • None

Posted 03 January 2014 - 09:45 PM

I think legend as a term is probably overused. The guy has had a series for the ages but it can't be forgotten that he's batted with the old ball in every single innings (apart from one, when he should have been caught out for 5) which makes everything a lot easier. And we have had no bowlers who have been able to truly keep him quiet.

I know that neither of those facts are his fault, but I think to call him a 'legend' is a little bit much.

theadmiral
  • theadmiral

• The Precinct
  • Trinidad-and-Tobago

Posted 04 January 2014 - 02:00 AM

I think legend as a term is probably overused. The guy has had a series for the ages but it can't be forgotten that he's batted with the old ball in every single innings (apart from one, when he should have been caught out for 5) which makes everything a lot easier. And we have had no bowlers who have been able to truly keep him quiet.

I know that neither of those facts are his fault, but I think to call him a 'legend' is a little bit much.

You are right, I used it too freely. But he hasn't scored under a 50 in this series as far as I know, great form for someone of his age.

Now, if we want to accurately use the term "Disgrace" it can be used to describe this pathetic display of batting that England is showing us right now. Unless Stokes and Balance get stuck in and pull of some serious heroics, this is an utter shambles. 4-22? What the hell?

AceKingston
  • AceKingston

Winner, Winner Chicken Dinner.

• Members
  • India

Posted 06 January 2014 - 02:24 PM

What a terrible display by England. 5-0 to Australia. Linc. will be happy I guess. :p

On a serious note, their batting has been awful so is their fielding. The only slightly bright spot they can take from this series is the fact that their bowling has been a bit decent but even that has been mediocre compared to the Australians. Cook's batting form and captaincy have also been sub-par. England and Australia have looked the exact opposite in this series really.

Credit to Australia for putting up such a magnificent display though. Especially their bowlers for their fine piece of bowling. Johnson, Clarke, Warner, Haddin, Siddle have been brilliant this series. Infact, I feel that the whole Australian team has been great this series.

theadmiral
  • theadmiral

• The Precinct
  • Trinidad-and-Tobago

Posted 07 January 2014 - 03:24 AM

How do the Indians here feel about Sehwag? How do the majority of Indians you guys talk to feel about him? I'm not sure why this guy is always in the news and there is always some debate going on about how crappy his form is. Is it time for him to retire or what?

theadmiral
  • theadmiral

• The Precinct
  • Trinidad-and-Tobago

Posted 25 January 2014 - 06:52 PM

Obligatory 2 week cricket thread bump for England managing to win a single ODI match in their overseas tour of Australia. Will Cook stay on as captain? Will they get rid of KP?

I think all the talk about getting rid of KP is pure nonsense. He's been their best run scorer this series and is their only true match winning player. It feels a bit cheap for everyone to make him a scapegoat. I don't think we can blame him for the destabilizing the tour and messing up the dressing room -

If KP's attitude can make England's batting order collapse and their captaincy/field setting/bowler choices absolutely pathetic,  this man is more powerful than god!

TommyCJFaann
  • TommyCJFaann

"Remember the name!"

• Members
  • India

Posted 03 February 2014 - 03:09 PM

India NZ series was such a mess,you know.

Also,

Mr.Girish is an Cricket Fan!

He's from India,and the only moderator from India.

gtamann123
  • gtamann123

Would You Still Remember Me?

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 11 February 2014 - 04:55 AM

Is Cricket an olympic sport? I really cant remember if it is or not. 

• theadmiral likes this

theadmiral
  • theadmiral

• The Precinct
  • Trinidad-and-Tobago

Posted 11 February 2014 - 05:29 AM Edited by theadmiral, 11 February 2014 - 05:29 AM.

It was like a hundred years ago, but not now. A test can take days, it wouldn't really work out. There are plans to get 20/20 into the Olympics eventually.

Max
  • Max

The Port Vila Killa.

• Zaibatsu
  • Vanuatu

Posted 12 February 2014 - 02:42 PM

ECB vs. Morgan/KP is an embarrassing turn of events. I can see both sides of the argument and personally I wouldn't have sacked KP but I would have dropped him until he finds his form again. However, the ECB have handled it terribly.

• theadmiral likes this

theadmiral
  • theadmiral

• The Precinct
  • Trinidad-and-Tobago

Posted 12 February 2014 - 03:55 PM

ECB vs. Morgan/KP is an embarrassing turn of events. I can see both sides of the argument and personally I wouldn't have sacked KP but I would have dropped him until he finds his form again. However, the ECB have handled it terribly.

If we are dropping people based on form, the entire side would be put out. KP was the highest run scorer on the shambles that was the tour of Australia. Andy Flower , Swann, and Cook were doing their best to scapegoat KP even prior to the series concluding and I think Flower thought they could send KP to the gallows to deflect blame from what was overall a disgraceful performance. 

I guess it only halfway worked seeing as Flower got sacked as well.

On KP himself, we all know he's an egomaniac and a drama queen who destabilizes the dressing room, but that is nothing new. They brought him back after the worst incidents, so why blame that now unless there is some new stuff that happened that we aren't hearing about? As for his form with the bat, it is the same as it has always been: Brilliant player and run scorer , but someone who gets bored and overconfident enough to gift his wicket away with ridiculous slogs that you'd see from amateurs in the park on a Sunday.

There is no way for England to improve by getting rid of the guy seeing as the only other comparable batsman would probably be Bell. Hopefully they will resolve this in time for Ashes 2015 and get him back in the squad. 

bengalboy_0701
  • bengalboy_0701

Psychopath

• Members
  • Bangladesh

Posted 4 weeks ago

Since this is a general cricket discussion thread, I figured I could post this here.
Anything about the T20 world cup? The new guys sure look like they're game for competition. Or is it because they picked on someone their own size? I think it is the second one, though. Actually the event is really exciting for me this year, being from Bangladesh and all...
Spoiler

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users