Greatest Sporting Moments Competition

32 replies to this topic
Josh
  • Josh

Raus Raus Fila Fila

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 13 February 2011 - 04:08 PM

I was wondering, there have been so many great sporting moments throughout history that it seems almost suicidal for one person to try and document them all alone. For obvious reasons, namely that different countries have different sporting cultures and any attempt by an American to document their greatest moments will focus mainly on (American) Football, Basketball and other American-centric events. Just as a British list will focus more on British events - see here for an example of British-centric voting behaviour.

That is obvious, as you wouldn't want to make yourself look stupid by attempting to include an event from a sport which you know nothing about. A sports commentator called Gary O'Reilly was mercilessly jibed by his fellow presenters when he mentioned Super Bowl III to be the greatest fairytale story in sport's history. I believe all of the other commentators on the same talk show picked exceedingly British topics.

But I feel that this cycle can be broken by everybody here. If we can get people behind this competition to each nominate their favourite events, until we have a reasonable number, then we can begin to whittle them down in much the same way as the "GTAF's Favourite Movies" competition was run by Papanesta. The top few could be made into a compilation video by one of the very talented film-makers who we have here, or there could simply be a topic containing all of the ranked events which could be pinned at the top of the section as a reminder to all of the people out there that there can be a decent list made, free from individual bias or unnecessary national pride, which will provide an unbiased look at the greatest moments ever to occur in any sporting arena.

Am I asking too much? Probably. tounge.gif

First a few ground rules:
  • No more than 3 distinct nominations per person
  • Each nomination must be seconded by one other person in order to make into onto the longlist for potential selection
  • Only Senior events will be considered - College sports aren't big enough outside of America to enable them to really be included objectively
  • Nominations must be backed up with a reason - Preferably a decent reason, not just: "He said he was going to win and he did it. I like Joe Namath1!1"
  • Nominations must be accompanied by a video - So that people unaware of this moment can watch it and make their own judgement.
I'll link each of the moments which people nominate back to their root post, so you don't have to make all of your nominations at the same time.

Josh
  • Josh

Raus Raus Fila Fila

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 13 February 2011 - 04:11 PM

I'll update this post with my own picks when I can. I just need to find my own top three...

Der_Don
  • Der_Don

2014 FIFA WC Prediction League 15th place.

• Members
  • None

Posted 13 February 2011 - 04:30 PM

May 28th, 1997:

Champions League final Dortmund - Juventus
20 year old Lars Ricken scores the "BvB-Goal of the Century"

I was 9 years old at this time. Best football-moment of my life so far!

EDIT: The substitution is at 1:16, so you don't have to watch the whole video.

TommyMufc-Champs
  • TommyMufc-Champs

Account ditched. New account Tommy.

• Members

Posted 13 February 2011 - 04:36 PM

1999 Champions League Final Manchester United v Bayern Munich Ole Gunnar Solskjaer injury time goal

Josh
  • Josh

Raus Raus Fila Fila

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 13 February 2011 - 04:47 PM

You need to read the rules of the competition Tommy. All nominations must be backed up with a youtube video.

And I'll second your nomination Der_Don. I can't remember it myself, but I've seen the game retrospectively and that goal really killed Juve off for you.

TommyMufc-Champs
  • TommyMufc-Champs

• Members

Posted 13 February 2011 - 05:03 PM

Sorry mate here you go.

Der_Don
  • Der_Don

• Members
  • None

Posted 13 February 2011 - 05:15 PM

I'll second Tommy's choice. That definatley was a great moment in sports-history though it was a bitter moment from a German point of view...

02fishera
  • 02fishera

PSN ID: TeamTango91

• Members
  • England

Posted 13 February 2011 - 06:15 PM Edited by 02fishera, 13 February 2011 - 06:20 PM.

First Nomination - 1966 World Cup Final: England 4-2 West Germany

This is the most iconic moment in the history of English football. There are so many memorable moments in that final from Geoff Hurst's debated goal to the image of Bobby Moore proudly lifting the trophy. And lets not forget, the classic quote, "They think its all over, it is now!"

Second Nomination - 1953 FA Cup Final: Blackpool 4-3 Bolton Wanderers

Youtube Video - 1953 FA Cup Final Highlights

*The video wouldn't embed for some reason...

Being a Blackpool fan, its obvious that I was going to pick this, but is regarded by many to be the greatest FA Cup Final of all time. Named the "Matthews Final" after the Wizard of Dribble, Stanley Matthews (along with Tom Finney, was possibly the best winger that England has ever had) fulfilled his career dream of claiming the a winners medal. But slightly wrongly, people forget about Stan Mortensen's hat trick (the only player to score one in the final) and the outstanding performance of the recently deceased Nat Lofthouse.

I'll add a third when I think of one...

TommyMufc-Champs
  • TommyMufc-Champs

• Members

Posted 13 February 2011 - 08:05 PM

Here Is my second nomination goes to Jimmy Glass goal In 1999 to keep Carlisle United In the Football League

And my third nomination goes to the 2008 Champions League Final

dills
  • dills

Work it Carlton!

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 13 February 2011 - 08:08 PM

26th May 1989:

Arsenal had been scheduled to play Liverpool earlier than they did but due to Hillsborough, the game was postponed until the last day of the season, in what turned out to be the title deciding game. Arsenal needed to be beat Liverpool by two goals or more to be declared Champions and it had been over 4 years since Liverpool had conceded more than one goal at home. An Alan Smith headed goal in the 52nd minute gave the visitors the lead but if the scoreline stayed the same, Liverpool would be the Champions due to goal difference. The clock ticked over to 90 minutes and the Liverpool fans were already celebrating, that would stop shortly:

QUOTE (Brian Moore)
Arsenal come streaming forward now in surely what will be their last attack. A good ball by Dixon finding Smith, for Thomas charging through the midfield, Thomas, its up for grabs now! Thomas right at the end. An unbelievable climax to the League season.

Cue the massive celebration from the traveling Arsenal fans as well as the fans watching at home with this game being shown live on ITV at a time when live football on TV was at a very early stage. This game ended Arsenal's 18 year hiatus as the champions of the First Division and was a springboard for further success in the 90s.

Thomas' Goal:

Full highlights:

darthYENIK
  • darthYENIK

Scuse me, while I kiss this guy.

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States
  • Most Knowledgeable [Movies & TV] 2013

Posted 13 February 2011 - 08:55 PM Edited by darthYENIK, 13 February 2011 - 11:42 PM.

February 22, 1980. Lake Placid, New York. The 13th Olympic Winter games. Ice hockey.

The Miracle on Ice

Link

The United States vs. The Soviet Union

Needless to say, these two countries, at the time, had a bit of a rivalry called the Cold War. This war was being fought not only on battlefields and with guns, but on the fields of sports. Particularly on the ice rink, and in hockey, the Soviets dominated. Although at the time, only amateurs were allowed to play in the games, the Soviets used players that essentially did little more than play hockey. They trained year round to be the best players on the planet, and for all intents and purposes the Soviets had the best team on the planet, proof being that this team and it's predecessors had won the gold medal for every winter Olympics in the 20 years before.

For the 1980s games, the US team consisted of college students, mostly from Minnesota and the northeastern US, and led by the University of Minnesota's head coach Herb Brooks. Up to the games, the Soviets had beaten the US with a record of 27-1-1. Needless to say, the Soviets were heavily favored. Favored as in how you favor Goliath over David. It was college students versus the most dominate team in the history of the sport. Professional or otherwise.

I bet you can guess by now (if you don't know), that the US, beat the USSR in the semi-finals, and then went on to win the gold medal...

The event inspired millions, and two feature films, which I highly suggest everyone checks out.

Josh
  • Josh

Raus Raus Fila Fila

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 13 February 2011 - 10:21 PM

I'll second all of the nominations above. And I must say that darthYENIK and Tommymufcchamps took two of my potential nominations (Jimmy Glass and The Miracle on Ice). I'm really not sure what I should nominate now. I'll pick soon.

kietotheworld
  • kietotheworld

Hater Player

• Members

Posted 13 February 2011 - 11:05 PM

I'll second the Liverpool-Arsenal 1989 one and the 2008 Champions League Final

Vanilla Shake
  • Vanilla Shake

Got my own theme music, plays wherever I are.

• The Connection
  • United-States

Posted 13 February 2011 - 11:07 PM

February 3rd, 2008. Super Bowl XLII.

The underdog New York Giants took on the seemingly unstoppable New England Patriots, who had yet to lose once in the entire season. If they won this game, they would've had a perfect season. Many believed that the game would be a blowout; that the Patriots would destroy the Giants and that it would be a high scoring game for the Patriots. However, New York's defense held them to just 14 points. At the end of the 4th quarter on 3rd down, Eli Manning escapes being sacked multiple times and heaves the ball down the field, only to be caught by teammate David Tyree by pinning the ball to his helmet. A few plays later, with 35 seconds remaining in the game, Eli threw a pass to Plaxico Burress for the game winning touchdown.

It's quite possibly the biggest upset in Super Bowl history.

Ryan
  • Ryan

Ginga Ninja

• Canada
  • Best Forum Ledby 2011
    Best Forum Ledby 2010
    GTANet Contribution Award
    GTANet Helpfulness Award

Posted 13 February 2011 - 11:15 PM Edited by Ryan, 13 February 2011 - 11:19 PM.

The "Golden Goal"

February 28, 2010. Vancouver 2010 Winter Olympics. After losing in the preliminary round to the United States several days before hand, Team Canada got a rematch in the gold medal game. Canada hopped out to a 2-0, but in the dieing seconds of the third period, the United Sates scored to tie the game at 2-2, thus sending it to overtime. In overtime, Sidney Crosby scored to capture the gold medal in Mens Ice Hockey for Team Canada defeating Team USA 3-2. This was Canada's 14th gold medal in the tournament which set a new Olympic record for the most gold medals ever won by a country. Crosby's goal sent Canada into a frenzy. Car horns honking, celebration parties, and more. In several cities, including Toronto, Canada's largest city, it got to be so much that the downtown area had to be closed off to traffic. The gold medal game was also the most watched televised event in Canadian history. Approximately 28 million of Canada's 33 million residents watched the game. It was also my birthday on that day. Best birthday present I could have ever asked for. I'll never forget it. icon14.gif

Canada's First Gold On Home Soil

Both the 1976 Summer Olympics in Montreal and the 1988 Winter Olympics in Calgary failed to produce a gold medal for Canada on home soil. On February 14, 2010, at the Vancouver 2010 Winter Olympics, Alexandre Bilodeau won the Men Moguls to give Canada it's first gold medal on home soil. I remember watching this live TV when it happened. Something I'll never forget.

LanceVanceDance07
  • LanceVanceDance07

Endless...

• Andolini Mafia Family

Posted 13 February 2011 - 11:26 PM

The Home Run to win the 1993 World Series

This was a moment that stood out in Toronto's sporting history, Game 6 of the 1993 World Series between the Blue Jays and the Phillies. Bottom of the 9th, and trailing, up steps Joe Carter. He then smashes the ball over the left side of the field and the Skydome erupts. Walk-off home run, Toronto defends its World Series Crown. I was only a toddler when this happened, but my dad remembers this moment vividly.

I second Ryan's nomination of Team Canada's Golden Goal to win the Gold against the USA.

Josh
  • Josh

Raus Raus Fila Fila

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 13 February 2011 - 11:28 PM

I'm glad that people are getting behind this. I'll second Super Bowl XLII as posted by Vanilla Shake.

Chunk
  • Chunk

Gangsta

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 14 February 2011 - 12:24 AM

Jesse Owen's 4 gold medals at the 1936 Berlin Olympics.

The 1936 Olympics was the perfect opportunity for Adolf Hitler to showcase Nazi Germany to the rest of the world. Hitler had high hopes for German athletes to dominate the games, and they did, coming top of the medal table with nearest rival the U.S.A. a long way off.

U.S.A. did beat Germany to a few golds though, which wouldn't be too interesting if a white man had got them. But Jesse Owens wasn't a white man. At a time when Nazi propaganda was portraying Africans as inferior beings Jesse, a black male, won gold in the 100 metres, the 200 metres, the long jump and as part of the 4x100 metres relay team.

After his 100m victory Hitler was thought to have stormed out of the stadium in a rage, but this is false, as Owens himself said and has a photo of himself shaking hands with Adolf.

But regardless, Jesse Owens proved the Aryan myth that white people are superior to blacks wrong, which is why this is such a great sporting moment.

ILAK
  • ILAK

I'M A DADDY

• The Connection
  • United-States

Posted 14 February 2011 - 01:24 AM Edited by I Love Anna Kournikova, 14 February 2011 - 01:31 AM.

Here is mine without a doubt. Probably one of the happier moments in my life so far. Have been a Giants fan since I was born, Was even named after the Giants Starting Pitcher on July 8th, 1990. Have loved them forever, So them winning the World Series was the best sports moment of my life.

Every Out from Game 5 of the 2010 World Series when the Giants beat the Rangers. Specifically the Last out with the Brian Wilson Strikeout. and the 3 run home run by Renteria. Those are the plays that stand out.

Jay
  • Jay

1984 - 2011

• Leone Family Mafia

Posted 14 February 2011 - 02:04 AM

QUOTE (Vanilla Shake @ Feb 14 2011, 08:37)
February 3rd, 2008. Super Bowl XLII.

QUOTE (LanceVanceDance07 @ Feb 14 2011, 08:56)
The Home Run to win the 1993 World Series

Seconded.

Okay my nomination is for two reasons, 1) I was there and, 2) it pisses off the English to talk about it.

I'm talking about the 2006 Adelaide Ashes Test Match, more specifically the fifth day and the individual performances of Shane Warne and Michael Hussey to pull the win out of their asses. It was an English win for all money after 2 days, and a draw for all money after 4 days. The fifth day was a master class in spin bowling and it was a treat seeing Hussey at his peak.

Der_Don
  • Der_Don

• Members
  • None

Posted 14 February 2011 - 07:29 AM

My second nomination:

Oliver Bierhoff scores the golden goal. Germany wins the Euro 1996.

tubbs51
  • tubbs51

Superbowl 48 Champs! GO SEAHAWKS!!

• Angels of Death MC
  • None

Posted 14 February 2011 - 10:09 AM

I cant believe no one has said the Ice Bowl...

The 1967 NFL Championship Game between the Green Bay Packers and the Dallas Cowboys. Most commonly referred to as the "Ice Bowl" because the game time temperature in Green Bay, Wisconsin was -15 degrees fahrenheit (-25 C). The wind chill made it feel like it was -35 F (-37 C).

It was so cold that the stadium's field heating system was frozen over. The field became as hard as rock and as slick as ice. And on top of that it's the coldest recorded temperature in Green Bay ever (Green Bay is know for the coldest temperatures in the NFL).

Josh
  • Josh

Raus Raus Fila Fila

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 14 February 2011 - 06:32 PM

QUOTE (Chunk @ Feb 14 2011, 00:24)
Jesse Owen's 4 gold medals at the 1936 Berlin Olympics.

Seconded.

One Yard Short:

Perhaps the most exciting climax to a Super Bowl in history. Super Bowl XXXIV: The Titans need a touchdown and the extra point in order to send the game into overtime. 6 seconds left on the clock. A team had never scored before on the last play of regulation time.

The play itself worked almost perfectly: Wycheck came through the middle and Mike Jones, the linebacker followed; so far so good. However Even though Kevin Dyson was open at the 2 yard line, he couldn't evade the tackle by Jones, and he was stopped agonisingly close to the line a single yard short. The shot of him trying to desperately reach forwards is now legendary.

Runey
  • Runey

Boss

• Leone Family Mafia
  • United-States

Posted 15 February 2011 - 05:44 AM

Personally It HAS to be this.

Game 7, 2006 Stanley Cup Finals

Tchuck
  • Tchuck

Grey Gaming

• Feroci
  • Japan

Posted 15 February 2011 - 06:23 AM

I nominate the following:

Roberto Baggio missing the penalty that gave Brazil the world cup title, after a 24 year long wait

I was only 7 at the time, and this was my first proper world cup. The joy that overtook the entire country after that one missed penalty, is impossible to describe. I mean, 24 years between that and the previous title.

The greatest lap in F1

Senna at one of his finest moments, the European Grand Prix in 1993. It was rainy, Senna started at a lowly 4th position, dropping to 5th, but overtaking everyone in front of him to finish the first lap in the first position, a position he kept until the race ended. Oh, and all that while it was wet, but I think they forgot to tell that to Senna, the rain master. Legendary lap, easily one of the greatest sporting moments.

Can't think of a third moment, so those two will have to do.

Jay
  • Jay

1984 - 2011

• Leone Family Mafia

Posted 15 February 2011 - 11:43 AM

QUOTE (Tchuck @ Feb 15 2011, 15:53)
The greatest lap in F1

Seconded. Especially considering the names he had to pass in that race. Proist, Hill, Schumacher. Insane talent. If not a little bit simple and occasionally reckless.

Skins
  • Skins

Steal your face

• The Precinct

Posted 15 February 2011 - 03:48 PM

Here.

Motherf*cker threw a no hitter on f*cking acid. cool.gif

SIKKS66
  • SIKKS66

The Number of the Beast

• Leone Family Mafia

Posted 15 February 2011 - 05:49 PM

Ryan Giggs wondergoal vs. Arsenal
FA Cup Semi-Final replay
April 14th 1999
Villa Park, Birmingham

It was to be a season that defined a club. Yet like that fateful night in Barcelona a month later, Manchester United came very close to throwing it all away. It is in these moments that true champions of the game step up and become living legends.

In the late 90s Manchester United and Arsenal were the two most dangerous teams in English football. On field bust-ups were frequent as these two passionate teams fought for outright dominance in English football. When the pair were drawn together in the semi-finals of the FA Cup, everyone knew it was going to be memorable. However, the first match ended in a draw, thus forcing the pair to play what would be the last ever FA Cup replay.

An early goal from David Beckham would be cancelled out by Dennis Bergkamp in the 60th minute. Ten minutes later United would lose influential captain and midfield general Roy Keane to a second bookable offence. With both teams looking for that crucial, decisive goal, young Phil Neville would give away a stoppage time penalty, clumsily bringing down Ray Parlour as the Arsenal man skipped into the penalty area. Victory in sight, Bergkamp stepped forward to gift Arsenal the win only to be thwarted by a world class save from United stopper Peter Schmeichel.

30 minutes of injury time loomed as United looked on the ropes. Then, without warning, a moment of glory. Patrick Vieira, after gifting the ball to United winger Ryan Giggs on the half-way line, raced back alongside the Welshmen who charged deep into the Arsenal half. Giggs continued his run, skipping past the Frenchman and through the normally indomitable Arsenal defence. A thunderous shot into the roof sent the United players, staff and fans into a frenzy. Any goal under the circumstances would have been enough. A goal of such wonder, skill and sheer audacity (and a hilarious celebration that was so unlike the normally quiet and professional Welshman) cemented Ryan Giggs into the folklore of Manchester United and of the FA Cup competition. It would be a moment that not only defined a player but also of a season to remember for Manchester United.

AussieDude
  • AussieDude

Playa

• Members

Posted 15 February 2011 - 09:28 PM

Josh
  • Josh

Raus Raus Fila Fila

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 16 February 2011 - 07:02 PM

Hello Aussiedude. While it's good to see that you are nominating alternative sports to the ones already listed, I would appreciate it if you were to add a little more content into your post.

Cheers.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users