Photo

Joining a team

6 replies to this topic
Mr.Mister
  • Mr.Mister

Capt. Downtown

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 10 February 2011 - 01:28 AM

So the past few months i've been meeting up with buddies late weekend nights to play hockey and I really enjoy it. I would like to take it to the next level and actually join a team.

I plan on going to technology school in august (business and forest tech if your wondering) and I noticed that they have sport teams. Problem is, I have never been on a sports team in my freakin life!

Two questions, would a college only take experience players or do I have a chance? Maybe I only have to bust my cock at training camp to prove myself. And 2nd, what are some great workout techniques for increasing endurance and agility?

Any kind of advice, no matter how big or small would be great. I hope I posted in the right area, hoping that you armchair athletes actually play something tounge.gif

Ryan
  • Ryan

Ginga Ninja

• Canada

Posted 10 February 2011 - 03:53 AM

Are we talking about ice hockey here, or floor hockey?

I hate to diminish your hopes, but generally university and college level hockey teams are pretty high caliber. University teams more so then college teams, but nonetheless, both would be of a competitive nature and involved in a league. Whether you're just new to hockey, or been playing for a while now, a good alternative might be to look for a recreational league or an intramural league if your college has such a thing. I'm involved in a intramural league here at my university. I'm not very good at hockey, but it's good fun. icon14.gif

If you want to increase your endurance and agility on the ice, the best place to learn it is on the ice. The best thing I've found that has helped me with endurance is skating as fast as I can for as long as I can till I can't go anymore. I know, it sounds crazy, but it works.

What do you have for gear?

Mr.Mister
  • Mr.Mister

Capt. Downtown

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 10 February 2011 - 05:58 AM

QUOTE (Ryan @ Feb 9 2011, 21:53)
Are we talking about ice hockey here, or floor hockey?

I hate to diminish your hopes, but generally university and college level hockey teams are pretty high caliber. University teams more so then college teams, but nonetheless, both would be of a competitive nature and involved in a league. Whether you're just new to hockey, or been playing for a while now, a good alternative might be to look for a recreational league or an intramural league if your college has such a thing. I'm involved in a intramural league here at my university. I'm not very good at hockey, but it's good fun. icon14.gif

If you want to increase your endurance and agility on the ice, the best place to learn it is on the ice. The best thing I've found that has helped me with endurance is skating as fast as I can for as long as I can till I can't go anymore. I know, it sounds crazy, but it works.

What do you have for gear?

Ice hockey. I never thought abot checking intramural... turns out they do have one, just gotta pay $150. I currently own basic equipment such as skates, stick, helmet and gloves. I use a jersey, jacket and snow pants for padding.

I'll go for practice runs whenever I can. Thanks man!

Ryan
  • Ryan

Ginga Ninja

• Canada

Posted 10 February 2011 - 02:21 PM

You might want to look into the rules of that intramural league. I know the one I'm in, they require that all players have HECC and CSA certified helmets (the stickers on the back of the helmet and that they're not expired either), and that players have the right gear. So in your case, a jacket and snow pants wouldn't work. If you get hit with a slapshot, those aren't going to do much. So in which case, you'd need shoulder pads, elbow pads, shin pads, and hockey pants.

Judging by the gear you've got, you might want to look at a shinny/pick-up league. For that, all you really need is just skates, stick, helmet, and gloves. People don't take slapshots, or put the puck up high, so your chances of getting hit are slim.

Heres a link to the Sportchek hockey gear protection section: http://www.sportchek...-nav-protective

Josh
  • Josh

All thoughts of sleep desert me

• Leone Family Mafia
  • None

Posted 10 February 2011 - 05:52 PM

Never played hockey to any standard but basketball appears to require some similar fitness skills. Try doing shuttle runs. They'll improve your sprint speed in no time at all. However since you're obviously going to be using skates you'll need to practice using them in order to improve your skating ability.

Ryan
  • Ryan

Ginga Ninja

• Canada

Posted 10 February 2011 - 07:29 PM

I never really played basketball much, but from what I've experienced of it, I'd say it's completely different. Basketball players are trained to play for extended periods of time, where as hockey players are trained to play as hard as they can for a minute or two, then go sit for a while. Either way though, agility and hand eye skills are crucial for both.

Josh
  • Josh

All thoughts of sleep desert me

• Leone Family Mafia
  • None

Posted 10 February 2011 - 07:35 PM

QUOTE (Ryan @ Feb 10 2011, 19:29)
I never really played basketball much, but from what I've experienced of it, I'd say it's completely different.

It is a run like f*ck sport. For a short while and then sit out due to rotating subs. At least that's how my team played it. It was really the only sport which I could imagine had a similar playing area to hockey that I could think of.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users