11 replies to this topic
PatrickW
  • PatrickW

GTA Juggernaut

• Netherlands

Posted 04 February 2011 - 11:32 AM

StoryLine Functionality in DYOM

The Concept
With version 6, DYOM has been extended with storyline functionality, which enables you to put several missions (upto 24) in a container,
where you can trigger the individual missions at certain locations indicated on the radar. So the player can "Freeroam" before choosing to play the next mission. Not all missions will have to be available from the start, you can configure that a certain mission must have been passed before an other one is unlocked. It is upto the storyline designer when a mission becomes available to the player.
If you have several of them unlocked at the same time, the player can choose which mission he wants to play next or you can define a exact sequence, by making sure that there is only one mission unlocked at any time and passing a mission will unlock the next one.

The Elements
At any time there is one storyline, that lives in the DSL (Dyom StoryLine) directory in your "GTA San Andreas User Files".
You don't need to load or save the storyline. All changes that you make to the storyline are auto-saved to that directory.
A storyline consists of the following elements:
  • Mission files: Traditional DYOM mission files, but now with arbitrary names, that are stored in the DSL directory.
  • Mission Triggers: A collection of locations, that each trigger the start of one of the Mission files. (Stored in DSL/_STORY.DAT)
  • Intro Mission: A traditional DYOM mission file, that is played at the start of your storyline (Stored in DSL/_INTRO.DAT)
  • Outro Mission: A traditional DYOM mission file, that is played at the end of your storyline (Stored in DSL/_OUTRO.DAT)
  • Autorun flag: Indicating that the Storyline will be started when you startup DYOM. (Stored in DSL/_AUTORUN
A missiontrigger is a new concept in DYOM, that may need some explanation. A missiontrigger has the following properties, that you can set at creation or modify by editing it:
  • Location, this is the position where the sphere will appear that actually trigger the mission, once the mission is unlocked.
  • missionfile name, the name of the missionfile that exists in the DSL directory that contains the mission to be triggered.
  • Icon, the icon that appears on the radar at the location where the mission can be triggered once it is unlocked
  • Missionrewards, changes/settings that occur when the triggered mission is passed(e.g. money, riot-mode, weather, peds, traffic).
  • "Unlock after", contains the number of the missiontrigger that must be passed, before this one is unlocked. (0 indicates unlocked from the start)
The DYOM menu
In designmode you have to keep in mind that you are always working on two things in parallel:
  • The Storyline, which might be empty, in which case you will not notice it.
  • A mission, that you either cteated or loaded from a file.
In the menu, most of the commands work on the mission. The command to manipulate the Storyline are all located in the Storyline menu:
  • Test StoryLine - Start playing the storyline.
  • Clear StoryLine - Clear MissionTriggers, intro, outro and autorun setting. (the existing missionfile remain in DSL)
  • Mission Menu
    • Save Mission to DSL - Store the current mission as a named missionfile in the DSL directory, so it can be used in a missiontrigger.
    • Save Mission as Intro - Store the current mission as the Intro.
    • Save Mission as Outro - Store the current mission as the Outro.
    • Load Mission from DSL - Load a named missionfile from the DSL folder in the editor, so you can edit it (or play it)
    • Load Mission from Intro - Load the Intro mission into the editor, so you can edit it (or play it)
    • Load Mission from Outro - Load the Outro mission into the editor, so you can edit it (or play it)
  • Autorun Toggle - toggle the "autorun" status of the storyline.
  • Add MissionTrigger - Create a new missiontrigger at the current location.
  • Edit MissionTrigger - Edit the Nearest missiontrigger.
  • Remove MissionTrigger - Remove the nearest missiontrigger.
The Ingame menu
While playing a storyline but you're not in a mission (so called free-roaming), you can press 'y' and 'n' simultaneous to access the "ingame menu". This provide options to:
  • Abort the storyline - going back to designmode
  • Store Progress - saves the current state of "passed" mission for the current Storyline
  • Load Progress - load the previous saved progressfile.
Note: The Progress file is no longer valid if you add/remove mission-triggers.

Important
  • Before you define a missiontrigger, you should always create the mission itself and store it in the DSL directory.
  • If a mission is failed, no new missiontriggers are unlocked, but the current one still is, so it can be triggered again.
  • The storyline ends (and thus the outro mission is started) when there are no more unlocked missions available.
  • The outro mission is best kept "FAIL-proof", as it won't be restarted when you fail it. It's mainly intended to contain cutscenes and other non-interactive objectives, to tie up the story.
  • The intro mission is also best kept "FAIL-proof", but it will automaticly be restarted should it fail.
  • To distribute a storyline, put the DSL directory (with all needed files) into a zip file and upload it to dyom.gtagames.nl

AnDReJ98
  • AnDReJ98

Making the GTA V fanboys dance

• Members
  • Serbia

Posted 03 February 2012 - 08:52 PM

I have one problem with MissionTriggers.I don't have control when which of them are creating.This with numbers which you select when which mission will unlock.That's my problem.
When i select them i start test story-line,then after INTRO mission i finish mission on letter ''W'' then spawn mission two for ''R'' and ''W'' together.
Here's example:

INTRO - INTRO
W - 0
R - 0
W - 1
R - 1
S - 3
OUTRO - OUTRO

What i must do?

Doublepulse
  • Doublepulse

I will turn your life upside down!

• The Yardies

Posted 04 February 2012 - 06:25 AM Edited by Doublepulse, 04 February 2012 - 09:09 AM.

I think there is one flaw about the storyline feature that bugs me a little. It's is only a flaw depending on what your intentions are for the story.

It is unable to have 1 mission trigger spawn after multiple missions are finished. an Example..

Say you want the player to finish all current missions before unlocking the next. It is not possible to do that because only one trigger can spawn after another.

So you really need to plan your story really well to make sure the order is correct.

PatrickW, do you think we can see some improvement like that?

The only suggestion I can give to others at the moment, is not have any of the mission "strands" you create, relate to any other part of the story and try not to add so many sub-plots. But this is only if you have an intention to create something like the original game.

@AnDrej I am trying to see what your problem is.. We do have a choice on what will be unlocked.

First make sure both missions are saved to DSL folder.

When you add a mission trigger, it would create the first trigger which is #1.

When you create the second mission trigger, by default it will trigger after #1 is completed. On the option to change the number, just change the mission trigger number to what ever you want it too.

EDIT: I just realized the date that this thread was posted.. DAMN that is a year bump. Ironically the next post was this year. And I thought this topic was just created today biggrin.gif. Also why does this topic have 1000+ views, but no replies what so ever, except the ones now.

Seems little strange to me, maybe something fishy is going on tounge.gif

AnDReJ98
  • AnDReJ98

• Members
  • Serbia

Posted 04 February 2012 - 01:03 PM

QUOTE (Doublepulse @ Saturday, Feb 4 2012, 06:25)
I think there is one flaw about the storyline feature that bugs me a little. It's is only a flaw depending on what your intentions are for the story.

It is unable to have 1 mission trigger spawn after multiple missions are finished. an Example..

Say you want the player to finish all current missions before unlocking the next. It is not possible to do that because only one trigger can spawn after another.

So you really need to plan your story really well to make sure the order is correct.

PatrickW, do you think we can see some improvement like that?

The only suggestion I can give to others at the moment, is not have any of the mission "strands" you create, relate to any other part of the story and try not to add so many sub-plots. But this is only if you have an intention to create something like the original game.

@AnDrej I am trying to see what your problem is.. We do have a choice on what will be unlocked.

First make sure both missions are saved to DSL folder.

When you add a mission trigger, it would create the first trigger which is #1.

When you create the second mission trigger, by default it will trigger after #1 is completed. On the option to change the number, just change the mission trigger number to what ever you want it too.

EDIT: I just realized the date that this thread was posted.. DAMN that is a year bump. Ironically the next post was this year. And I thought this topic was just created today biggrin.gif. Also why does this topic have 1000+ views, but no replies what so ever, except the ones now.

Seems little strange to me, maybe something fishy is going on tounge.gif

Thanks,i've thought too that with creating missiontiggers.We don't have control with that,but mabey PatrckW can help us.In my DSL folder everything it's good,i saw story-line Mathew Hegan's path there missiontiggers are spawing when which need.
Example:
When you finish ''Oh'' then spawn only next ''Oh'' ''Js'' and ''Mw'' spawn when you finish firs ''Mw'' and ''Js'' icon14.gif
But i don't know how to do that. sad.gif
Anyway i sent message for PatrickW to help me. smile.gif
Thanks Dubleplush! biggrin.gif

ogiELman
  • ogiELman

DYOM Designer

• Members

Posted 11 February 2012 - 06:05 PM

QUOTE (AnDReJ98 @ Friday, Feb 3 2012, 20:52)
I have one problem with MissionTriggers.I don't have control when which of them are creating.This with numbers which you select when which mission will unlock.That's my problem.
When i select them i start test story-line,then after INTRO mission i finish mission on letter ''W'' then spawn mission two for ''R'' and ''W'' together.
Here's example:

INTRO - INTRO
W - 0
R - 0
W - 1
R - 1
S - 3
OUTRO - OUTRO

What i must do?

I've that problem too.I trying to fix it somehow but i can't.Anyway if someone played Matthew Hegan's path,he can see that we can control sotry-line missiontiggers.

So anyone we need help!

Shahonix
  • Shahonix

Li'l G Loc

• Members

Posted 12 February 2012 - 07:17 AM

Don't you read DoublePulse post?

ogiELman
  • ogiELman

DYOM Designer

• Members

Posted 12 February 2012 - 12:31 PM

QUOTE (-S-hark21 @ Sunday, Feb 12 2012, 07:17)
Don't you read DoublePulse post?

You didn't understand.I've did that but in someone sotry-lines this can.Like Mathew Hegan's path.
I've asked LCJ,but i won't say what he has say.It's very shame for him.Nevermind.
I just want someone help us.

abishai.kochara
  • abishai.kochara

Homeboy

• BUSTED!

Posted 12 February 2012 - 01:07 PM

Shame for LCJ? You got a problem or something?..... :3

AnDReJ98
  • AnDReJ98

• Members
  • Serbia

Posted 12 February 2012 - 02:35 PM

QUOTE (abishai.kochara @ Sunday, Feb 12 2012, 13:07)
Shame for LCJ? You got a problem or something?..... :3

I don't know what he thinking but i'll try to explain you in message. wink.gif

Stromae
  • Stromae

Mi Na Badman

• Members
  • Netherlands

Posted 12 February 2012 - 03:10 PM Edited by ThaBoY, 12 February 2012 - 03:13 PM.

QUOTE (ogiELman @ Sunday, Feb 12 2012, 13:31)
I've asked LCJ,but i won't say what he has say.It's very shame for him.

Are you on meth bro?

A shame for LCJ....
It's the meth, isn't it?

Canadian Scrotum
  • Canadian Scrotum

Ghetto Star

• Members
  • None

Posted 12 February 2012 - 05:06 PM Edited by Secronom President, 12 February 2012 - 05:41 PM.

I believe we've got away from the main thing.

Locked.

EDIT: Unlocked and stay on-topic this time.

ogiELman
  • ogiELman

DYOM Designer

• Members

Posted 15 February 2012 - 02:15 PM Edited by ogiELman, 15 February 2012 - 02:18 PM.

Story-line function:

You also can put missiontiggers to spawn when which need,follow my steps:

Example:

INTRO - INTRO
W - 0
R - 0
W - 1
R - 1
S - 3
OUTRO - OUTRO

Answer on this problem:

1.Select Intro - Intro
2.Mission after intor save as 0 - W
3.Mission 3 after intro save as 0 too - R
4.Mission 4 is secon mission on W so save it as 1 - W
5.Mission 5 is second mission on R so save it as 2 - R
6.Mission 6 is S new,it will spawn after you finish W so save it as 3 - S
7.Select Outro - Outro

0 is Intro.
so 1 after 0, 2 after 0, 3 after 1, 4 after 2, 5 after 3.

Answered by: LeonCJ

If you want or have problem with auto-spawning missions,here's answer:

Example:

Mission 1: Intro
Mission 2: 0 - Mission spawn after intro
Mission 3: 1 - If you put missiontigger as 2 it will spawn automatic when you finish mission 1 and 2.
Mission 4: 3 - This mission will spawn automatic when you passed mission 3.
Mission 5: Outro

Answered by: AnDReJ98

I hope this will help people which makes storylines. smile.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users