306 replies to this topic
The Killa
  • The Killa

Diet Water Please

• Andolini Mafia Family

Posted 28 January 2011 - 01:44 AM

QUOTE (Reconite @ Jan 27 2011, 18:09)
QUOTE (Piperka @ Jan 27 2011, 13:54)
How much do you reckon it will cost? Can't cost more than a PS3.

Why can't it? The PS3 is six year old hardware, this is brand new, has a f*ck-load of power that rivals their own home console, has a bunch of extra features AND most importantly: it's portable. If anything it's very likely to have a higher price than a PS3.

Remember 599 US DOLLARS for the PS3? Well that price was PS3 being produced at a loss (before they cut it down even more), though Sony have said they will produce NGP at a loss too it could be anything from $400-$700. I have no idea why people expect it to be cheap, look at the power of the damn thing, and look at Sony's history with pricing of their consoles and handhelds.

I expect a 2 hour battery life from this beast.

PS3 is six year old hardware yet the NGP is still weaker than it (but very close, mind). It would be suicide for them to price this more than the PS3 for something that is weaker than six year old technology. Technology in general is getting cheaper and cheaper these days an sdlapping a high price tag on this will not win anybody over. In fairness they'll probably come out with a slim version of this a few months after and reduce the price, as usually expected with these devices nowadays.

How powerful is this handheld, really? They didn't even tell us the clocks on the processor it uses, and what the f*ck is that GPU? Does it have PS1, PS2 and PSP compatibility? Will the touch screen actually be great fun to use or a failed gimmick? So many questions still to be answered.

Blackadder.
  • Blackadder.

Luck. Runs. Out.

• Andolini Mafia Family

Posted 28 January 2011 - 02:02 AM

The touch screen could have some uses, it could get rid of the need for a use/interact button simply by tapping the object to interact with on screen. The touch pad could be used in FPS's to quickly reload or throw a grenade. It could also possibly be used as L2 and R2 buttons, tap the left half for L2 and right half for R2. This would mean PS1 and PS2 (and probably PS3) games could be ported with little adaption of control scheme necessary.

I also expect many iPhone ports.

Freakorama
  • Freakorama

Freako

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 28 January 2011 - 02:12 AM

Would have rather just had R2 and L2.

NickRad
  • NickRad

I'm Boxxy you see

• BUSTED!

Posted 28 January 2011 - 02:23 AM

I reckon about $399AUD since PS3 is $499AUD

Seeing were Aussies the price will most likely be-
$499 Wifi
$599 3G

Piperka
  • Piperka

Big Homie

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • Australia

Posted 28 January 2011 - 03:04 AM

QUOTE (NickRad @ Jan 28 2011, 10:23)

I reckon about $399AUD since PS3 is $499AUD

Seeing were Aussies the price will most likely be-
$499 Wifi
$599 3G

lol, but theres no separate two with either 3G or Wifi.

There's just one with Both.

Blackadder.
  • Blackadder.

Luck. Runs. Out.

• Andolini Mafia Family

Posted 28 January 2011 - 03:13 AM

Except for the fact, you know, they've already planned an SKU without 3G

darthYENIK
  • darthYENIK

Scuse me, while I kiss this guy.

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States
  • Most Knowledgeable [Movies & TV] 2013

Posted 28 January 2011 - 03:17 AM

I don't get it. Is it a phone?

PresidentKiller
  • PresidentKiller

Anger Manager

• The Connection
  • Mexico

Posted 28 January 2011 - 04:26 AM

QUOTE (OnePiece @ Jan 27 2011, 02:36)
...the psp1 was so fragile, and it got dust under the screen so easy...

It's probably the "newer" 3000 models, my launch model (from April 2005) is still in pristine condition, and still gives me 3-4 hours of battery life (the battery is the original one that came with it).

Piperka
  • Piperka

Big Homie

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • Australia

Posted 28 January 2011 - 04:29 AM

QUOTE (darthYENIK @ Jan 28 2011, 11:17)

No, but it just has 3G connection so you can go on the internet using the mobile internet signals?

Finn 7 five 11
  • Finn 7 five 11

Well I'm sorry, Princess.

• Members
  • None

Posted 28 January 2011 - 04:34 AM Edited by finn4life, 28 January 2011 - 04:36 AM.

Hahah 3G connection sucks unless every single other person in your area is not using their phone.

Moth
  • Moth

Fiat justitia ruat caelum

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • Canada

Posted 28 January 2011 - 04:42 AM

QUOTE (darthYENIK @ Jan 27 2011, 23:17)

No, it just means that you can use the web browser and play online without being in a wifi zone.

Plus COD is coming to NGP.

Blackadder.
  • Blackadder.

Luck. Runs. Out.

• Andolini Mafia Family

Posted 28 January 2011 - 05:01 AM

QUOTE (The General. @ Jan 28 2011, 12:42)

Sur-f*cking-prise. sarcasm.gif

3G probably isn't aimed at gamers, more at people who'd like to check their Facebook or Twitter on the go.

Finn 7 five 11
  • Finn 7 five 11

Well I'm sorry, Princess.

• Members
  • None

Posted 28 January 2011 - 05:13 AM

Unless they expect people to play online at 1 frame p/s or less, then yep i'd say your right.

The Killa
  • The Killa

Diet Water Please

• Andolini Mafia Family

Posted 28 January 2011 - 06:04 AM Edited by The Killa, 28 January 2011 - 06:07 AM.

QUOTE (The General. @ Jan 27 2011, 22:42)
QUOTE (darthYENIK @ Jan 27 2011, 23:17)

No, it just means that you can use the web browser and play online without being in a wifi zone.

Oh boy now all the cool kids can play CoD at school!

Also, they should have ditched that back touch screen and put in L2 and R2 buttons.. just imo

Reconite
  • Reconite

PC Gaming Master Race

• Members

Posted 28 January 2011 - 06:13 AM Edited by Reconite, 28 January 2011 - 06:35 AM.

QUOTE (The Killa @ Jan 28 2011, 01:44)
snip

You're completely missing the point that this is a PORTABLE device.

You expect a home PS3 that you plug into your TV and several power plugs to cost more than a brand new PORTABLE gaming device without all the excess bullsh*t which has 2/3 of a PS3's power. It doesn't matter if it's "not as powerful as a PS3", no one expects it to be, but it's certainly getting there. Just because it's smaller doesn't make it cheaper, if you were to somehow squish down a bad-ass gaming PC into a laptop do you think that would make it cost less? No, in-fact, it would cost MORE because it's compact and you can take it anywhere. Portability is a huge factor for pricing. If it's less than $349.99 I will be VERY surprised.

Are you stupid? Or just trying to troll me?

NickRad
  • NickRad

I'm Boxxy you see

• BUSTED!

Posted 28 January 2011 - 07:10 AM

QUOTE (Blackadder. @ Jan 28 2011, 05:01)
QUOTE (The General. @ Jan 28 2011, 12:42)

Hahaha by raise the bar they mean rehash the same stuff since 07 dozingoff.gif
I'll just buy thee normal one I'm not gonna by a 3G model when the 3G on my iPhone sucks. Also why do we have to pay to use 3G when it's free on the iPhone?

The Yokel
  • The Yokel

True Gentleman

• Members
  • Jamaica

Posted 28 January 2011 - 10:45 AM

I'm willing to spend 250 and not a cent more on this thing. And that is only if it supports PSP games cause I always wanted to play some of them. You can go ahead and call me cheap.

Blackadder.
  • Blackadder.

Luck. Runs. Out.

• Andolini Mafia Family

Posted 28 January 2011 - 11:38 AM

3G isn't free for iPhone it's covered in the plan you pay for. It's necessary for a phone but not a gaming/entertainment device. That's why the iPad also has a non-3G model available.

This thing is most likely only going to be compatible with titles you have bought from PSN, considering Sony didn't offer PSP Go users the option to utilize their previous UMD collection.

NickRad
  • NickRad

I'm Boxxy you see

• BUSTED!

Posted 28 January 2011 - 01:57 PM

But I'm not on a plan so how is it that I have free 3G /:

Don Garcia
  • Don Garcia

Dolls Kill

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • None

Posted 28 January 2011 - 02:38 PM

QUOTE (Blackadder. @ Jan 28 2011, 00:50)
I think they already stated this has a battery life comparable to the PSP-3000, which puts it at 3-5 hours

I haven't been in the handheld, portable game for a while, so I wouldn't know. But, isn't that pathetic? Will we be able to extend that somehow without running to an outlet?

Blackadder.
  • Blackadder.

Luck. Runs. Out.

• Andolini Mafia Family

Posted 28 January 2011 - 03:03 PM

It isn't great, but for something this powerful it's decent enough. The PSP was never touted as having a long battery life though, so it's not really a surprise. I guess people aren't complaining about this as much as 3DS as they expected that to have a better battery life.

Can't see how it could be extended either, the touch pad on the back not only prevents clipping on an extra battery, but prevents you from switching out the battery as well.

unopieceo
  • unopieceo

Turdler Durpden

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • None
  • Best Vehicle 2012 [HD GTA Cars]

Posted 28 January 2011 - 03:05 PM

Wait, this thing is a phone too? Can you imagine holding this f*cking thing up to your ear? Youd look like a dipsh*t.

AreXi
  • AreXi

Quack Quack

• Members

Posted 28 January 2011 - 03:24 PM

QUOTE (OnePiece @ Jan 28 2011, 17:05)
Youd look like a dipsh*t.

user posted image

Been there, done that.

Moth
  • Moth

Fiat justitia ruat caelum

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • Canada

Posted 28 January 2011 - 05:49 PM

QUOTE (The Killa @ Jan 28 2011, 02:04)
Also, they should have ditched that back touch screen and put in L2 and R2 buttons.. just imo

Chances are, that is what the back touch screen will be used for. Plus adding those buttons,the NGP would become thicker or the damn buttons would be too small to be useful.

The Killa
  • The Killa

Diet Water Please

• Andolini Mafia Family

Posted 28 January 2011 - 07:47 PM

You expect a home PS3 that you plug into your TV and several power plugs to cost more than a brand new PORTABLE gaming device without all the excess bullsh*t which has 2/3 of a PS3's power

Why oh why from a business and financial standpoint would they price this device HIGHER than a more powerful and overall better machine? It's using "6 year-old technology" with a f*cking touchpad gimmick. And just because it's portable? Do one. Notebooks, iPhones you f*cking name it they're getting cheaper and cheaper by the day and even more popular by the minute. My f*cking notebook cost half the price of my desktop and it's more powerful.

Their competitors in the mobile market have $200 and $250 devices which are pretty damn powerful and can produce the likes of very impressive 3d gaming as well as this:

So why would Sony price it nearly twice as high as something like an iPhone 4 or 3DS which is already very powerful and cheap? Just because it's portable? Yeah, means f*ck all these days. Almost everything is becoming portable at a very affordable price.

If it's less than $349.99 I will be VERY surprised.

The machine itself? I'll eat my f*cking hat if it isn't less. Sony has to keep up with their competitors. Think about it. Everyone and their mother has an iPhone or something like that they play on already. It will take ALOT for Sony to knock them off their mobile gaming perch. Offering a higher price will do the exact opposite. HOWEVER, I will stress (to be fair) we haven't seen the true capability of this machine yet. It's only just recently announced so if they reveal a new feature or two that will justify a high price then fair enough, but what I've seen so far I still stand by what I think

Are you stupid?

Well I don't know but my girlfriend would agree with you surely

Dillinger8
  • Dillinger8

Kush

• Members

Posted 28 January 2011 - 07:57 PM

I like how you know the price of 3DS already.

Reconite
  • Reconite

PC Gaming Master Race

• Members

Posted 28 January 2011 - 10:38 PM Edited by Reconite, 28 January 2011 - 10:45 PM.

Jesus christ man, you still have no f*cking idea do you? You try to compare the NGP to a damn iPhone without realizing that an iPhone is NOTHING like this new device. THIS is almost a PS3 packed into a handheld that you can bring anywhere, it's not using six year old hardware, it's using brand new hardware. If it was using six-year old PS3 hardware it would be the same f*cking size as a PS3, and thus it wouldn't be portable. Smaller alternatives to powerful hardware cost a hell of a lot more, THIS is what you don't seem to get.

Don't you understand that it being portable makes it more expensive, not that it being smaller makes it less expensive? Sony magically packing it all into a PSP-sized gaming device is a miracle in itself with the power it shows.

It's small, it's portable and you can use it anywhere. The PS3 does not have any of these major factors. This is a handheld, not a home console which you have to plug into your big-ass TV.

Compact hardware costs money. Which is why a sh*tty laptop generally costs more than a pre-built PC of the same power.

To make it short:
So why would Sony price it nearly twice as high as something like an iPhone 4 or 3DS which is already very powerful and cheap?

Because it's more than twice as powerful.

cold fusion 33
  • cold fusion 33

Slamman's distant relative

• Members

Posted 29 January 2011 - 04:04 PM

QUOTE (Reconite @ Jan 28 2011, 23:38)
To make it short:
So why would Sony price it nearly twice as high as something like an iPhone 4 or 3DS which is already very powerful and cheap?

Because it's more than twice as powerful.

This ^^.
The PSP came out in 2004 and it's taken Apple about 6 bloody years (The release of the iPad and iPhone 4) to make a machine that has anywhere near the portable gaming capabilities that the original PSP has, and most of the games still look terrible, with a few exceptions. I'd like to see VCS play on the iPhone 4 or iPad with no stuttering. I suppose that none of this raw power actually matters though, if the games that are made for the PSP2 are rubbish. The public's mindset toward mobile gaming has been revolutionised since the original PSP came out, and Sony are going to have their work cut out to steal back a lot of that market that Apple has won with their simple and fun, 5 minute games. I'm looking forward to being able to take long games around with me, as opposed to games like "Cut the rope" or "Angry Birds", which I'll admit, are fun, but are nowhere near as impressive as games like Vice City Stories on the PSP.

Also:

My f*cking notebook cost half the price of my desktop and it's more powerful.

Christ, you must have been completely ripped off or you were given that notebook mercie_blink.gif .

Blackadder.
  • Blackadder.

Luck. Runs. Out.

• Andolini Mafia Family

Posted 29 January 2011 - 05:21 PM

Isn't Infinity Blade somewhat on rails? It moves you between points and you can swivel the camera around a little bit and that's it? If so then that would explain why it is graphically impressive. The developer can tell you exactly where to go, they know what you'll be looking at so they pump as much detail into that as possible. Anywhere behind you doesn't matter because you aren't going to be looking there. The developer for Rage on the iPhone discussed this advantage, because they know the player can't go wandering off into every corner they don't need to worry about it looking good, and as such have more resources to play with.

Compare that to a game such as Vice City Stories, where you can go pretty much anywhere you can see, and the engine constantly has to work to keep up with the player. It doesn't know where you are going, so it has to be ready for whatever you decide to throw at it. That's why visuals were slightly compromised, to improve performance. Keep in mind that's a 5+ year old piece of hardware, and the iPhone 4, which is less than a year old, and similar in architecture to a 3+ year old piece of hardware, still has a long way to go.

Chinatown Wars
  • Chinatown Wars

<3 Chris

• Members

Posted 29 January 2011 - 05:38 PM

Yay I'm getting this!!!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users