Photo

How do you view the United States?

353 replies to this topic
eastcoastboy17
  • eastcoastboy17

American badass

• Members

Posted 25 January 2011 - 11:00 PM

With me being from here and not really knowing anyones opinion on us. I want to know how do you people from around the world see us? Do you look at us as a powerful and influential figure, or a careless, greedy and arrogant country?

dog_day_sunrise
  • dog_day_sunrise

GTAF's Resident Niggling Pedant

• Members

Posted 25 January 2011 - 11:26 PM

The US is the strongest economic and military power on earth. That means that they have the power, and therefore the desire, to throw their weight around. Whether other nations respect that power is a completely seperate issue- it's the way things are.

HolyGrenadeFrenzy
  • HolyGrenadeFrenzy

drrnage E ih unarEy

• Members

Posted 25 January 2011 - 11:27 PM

Americans will continue to have a terrible world opinion position until they decide to demonstrate some personal, community, national and international values that demonstrate something other than what you propose is the most likely perspective the world has of them.

It is hard to argue anything else with the exceptions versus the majorities of people that are demonstrated as either examples of or contrary to the stereotypes.

Corporate Media's approach to the discussion, surely doesn't tell the truth at all. Yet, the "average" and the "majority" appearance is not at all the same and that should alone stir up some suspicions about how information is gathered and how things are communicated abroad.....and by whom.

Here is a more local approach to what is noticeable by the educated in the USA from the least likely sought sources that has a great deal to teach on the topic at large.

That is what you get for setting back in a complacent position expecting the world to be handed to you without a fight and the whole time letting the business of your country become overrun and broken down with so many immense violations of the founding documents that their is little that resemble the intent or the powers given to the government for the people instead of over the people.

Welcome to the Reservation......

Marutzu
  • Marutzu

Rat

• Members

Posted 26 January 2011 - 12:00 AM

You guys are the only ones that make things to advance the human race...you've invented almost everything and sh*t......and you have a beautiful country/continent tounge.gif where do you live in the u.s?

LuisBellic
  • LuisBellic

8 Balls

• Members

Posted 26 January 2011 - 12:04 AM

I like some of the beautiful cities but america has a sh*tty government.

ILAK
  • ILAK

Soon to be Dad

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 26 January 2011 - 12:14 AM

QUOTE (LuisBellic @ Jan 25 2011, 15:04)
I like some of the beautiful cities but america has a sh*tty government.

Yea but its a lot better than communism. Atleast You can do your own thing (to a limit) and not have to worry about getting shot for it by your government.

Tetsuo2501
  • Tetsuo2501

TV Casualty

• The Connection

Posted 26 January 2011 - 12:35 AM

user posted image

America.

f*ck yeah.

Mr.Mister
  • Mr.Mister

Capt. Downtown

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 26 January 2011 - 12:35 AM

I like how you guys are innovative, friendly and how your border surronds the most diverse landscape in the world. There is also so much to do there, especially in the big cities.

I don't like how ignorant and arrogant some of your people are and I hate your government.

Apothecaries Weight
  • Apothecaries Weight

wishbone.

• Members

Posted 26 January 2011 - 12:46 AM

QUOTE (Tetsuo2501 @ Jan 26 2011, 00:35)
user posted image

America.

f*ck yeah.

Coming again, to save the mother f*cking day yeah.

F4L?
  • F4L?

Well I'm sorry, Princess.

• Members
  • None

Posted 26 January 2011 - 12:47 AM

Do you look at us as a powerful and influential figure, or a careless, greedy and arrogant country?

I would go for the latter, most people i know think America is very self centered, for example, in high school in America from what i have heard, you only really learn about America, many will argue with me on this, but i have met so many Americans that honestly have no idea where most of the countries in the world are and what has happened in history to those countries, where as here in Australia, we have to learn about everything, even if it doesn't involve our country in the slightest.

America thinks that they are king sh*t, yes America is a powerful country, how about leaving yourselves out of things that do not concern you, for example the Vietnam War, there was little reason to go to iraq to get Saddam Hussein as well, and steal some oil at the same time.

Texas, open your f*cking minds you close minded pricks, what is with gay haters over there? That pisses me off.

On a sidenote, the dumbass government should impose tough gun-laws everywhere in America, "i need a gun for self defense" if every tom dick and harry has a gun, whats the point? You would be better off if you both had fists, why do you think there is so much gun crime.

I am not saying Every American is like this, i am saying this is what you are like as a country.

Tetsuo2501
  • Tetsuo2501

TV Casualty

• The Connection

Posted 26 January 2011 - 12:55 AM

QUOTE (finn4life @ Jan 25 2011, 18:47)
Texas, open your f*cking minds you close minded pricks, what is with gay haters over there? That pisses me off.

I live in Dallas, Texas.

And I have no problem with gay, lesbian, or transgendered people. Live, and let live.

Good job on the stereotyping of an entire state.

oh wait, aren't you bashing Texas for being closed minded, but you saying that doesn't make you closed minded at all right?

Watch how you use your words. You learn more by closing your mouth, and opening your eyes, and ears. Rather than going off a tangent when you have no idea what you're talking about.

Mike Tequeli
  • Mike Tequeli

American non-Voter at Heart

• The Connection

Posted 26 January 2011 - 01:02 AM

QUOTE (dog_day_sunrise @ Jan 25 2011, 23:26)
The US is the strongest economic and military power on earth. That means that they have the power, and therefore the desire, to throw their weight around. Whether other nations respect that power is a completely seperate issue- it's the way things are.

There is more to life than realism you know.

AmyJones
  • AmyJones

ADVIL CHAMPION

• Zaibatsu

Posted 26 January 2011 - 01:20 AM

I love the USA.., but here is what will piss me of in the end. ENJOY smoking bitches, you can't smoke here. f*ck you bitch. No smoking here....Don't smoke here, not in bars....not in private clubs. NO WHERE! Guess what else? Get caught smoking on the sidewalk? FINE! get caught putting your cigarette butt out on a sidewalk....? YOU ARE f*ckED STUPID. FINES FINES FINES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That's how it really is in Bloomington, Indiana.

F4L?
  • F4L?

• Members
  • None

Posted 26 January 2011 - 01:31 AM Edited by finn4life, 26 January 2011 - 01:36 AM.

QUOTE (Tetsuo2501 @ Jan 26 2011, 11:55)
QUOTE (finn4life @ Jan 25 2011, 18:47)

I live in Dallas, Texas.

And I have no problem with gay, lesbian, or transgendered people. Live, and let live.

Good job on the stereotyping of an entire state.

oh wait, aren't you bashing Texas for being closed minded, but you saying that doesn't make you closed minded at all right?

Watch how you use your words. You learn more by closing your mouth, and opening your eyes, and ears. Rather than going off a tangent when you have no idea what you're talking about.

I am not saying Every American is like this, i am saying this is what you are like as a country.

I wasn't stereotyping i was generalizing, and if you read the bottom of my post you would notice that i didn't say every person was like that, just a large proportion is what i meant.
before you jump the gun, too late for that you should have stopped and gone "oh wait i didn't read the last part of your post"

It doesn't necessarily make me close minded for making a generalization (which i stated i did not ) If i were however not open to the idea that not all Texans were gay haters, then that would make me close minded to that subject, which is in fact not the case.

The Killa
  • The Killa

Diet Water Please

• Andolini Mafia Family

Posted 26 January 2011 - 01:33 AM Edited by The Killa, 26 January 2011 - 01:36 AM.

QUOTE (AmyJones @ Jan 25 2011, 19:20)
I love the USA.., but here is what will piss me of in the end. ENJOY smoking bitches, you can't smoke here. f*ck you bitch. No smoking here....Don't smoke here, not in bars....not in private clubs. NO WHERE! Guess what else? Get caught smoking on the sidewalk? FINE! get caught putting your cigarette butt out on a sidewalk....? YOU ARE f*ckED STUPID. FINES FINES FINES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That's how it really is in Bloomington, Indiana.

Plenty of other countries are banning it in such ways as well. However in my town it's banned everywhere period.

Edit: another option is to quit killing yourself and then be filled with happiness upon realization of how much money per year you save on not buying smokes but that option is up to you entirely

F4L?
  • F4L?

• Members
  • None

Posted 26 January 2011 - 01:42 AM

QUOTE (The Killa @ Jan 26 2011, 12:33)
QUOTE (AmyJones @ Jan 25 2011, 19:20)

Plenty of other countries are banning it in such ways as well. However in my town it's banned everywhere period.

Edit: another option is to quit killing yourself and then be filled with happiness upon realization of how much money per year you save on not buying smokes but that option is up to you entirely

Smoking is a disgusting habit, why should other citizens put up with dirty cigarette butts on the ground when there are perfectly good bins and ashtrays around.

Why should we be getting emphysema from some stupid ass habit other people have, what if we don't like being choked by cigarette smoke everywhere we go? Or hate being around people who reek of cigarettes who in turn when they smoke pass the smell onto you?

SO instead of going on a rage about fines, how about you quit smoking, or simply obey the laws.

cidamelo
  • cidamelo

RIP Amy WINEHOUSE!GRANT RODIEK is back to the EA GAMES!&

• Members

Posted 26 January 2011 - 01:49 AM

Hi friend, United States is one of my favorite countries, it has a lot of cool and different places to visit, I love USA!! orly.gif
Friends, is it true that american teenagers are very alienated? And is it true that europeans love to smoke?

Apothecaries Weight
  • Apothecaries Weight

wishbone.

• Members

Posted 26 January 2011 - 01:55 AM

QUOTE (finn4life @ Jan 26 2011, 01:42)

Why should we be getting emphysema from some stupid ass habit other people have, what if we don't like being choked by cigarette smoke everywhere we go? Or hate being around people who reek of cigarettes who in turn when they smoke pass the smell onto you?

SO instead of going on a rage about fines, how about you quit smoking, or simply obey the laws.

I know your trying to act smart kid.. But it just ain't workin.

cidamelo
  • cidamelo

RIP Amy WINEHOUSE!GRANT RODIEK is back to the EA GAMES!&

• Members

Posted 26 January 2011 - 01:59 AM

Friends, unfortunately I smoke, I try to quit but I can't but what I notice is that many people, at least here in Brazil, has prejudice with smokers.......A lot of people hate smokers, even if the smoker respect other people sad.gif Why people don't have prejudice with alcohol, alcohol is way more prejudicial than smoking, at least is what I think!!!!!! I had more siblings dying because of alcohol-abuse problems than emphysema!! sad.gif

d0mm2k8
  • d0mm2k8

ad infinitum

• Leone Family Mafia

Posted 26 January 2011 - 02:00 AM

It's had an even greater influence on me than my own country has but I swear to Gabe that some of the most retarded people on Earth live there (religious fundamentalists exempt - or not).

Oh, and I love New York... so much...

Ryan
  • Ryan

Ginga Ninja

• Canada

Posted 26 January 2011 - 02:31 AM

QUOTE (Mr.Mister @ Jan 25 2011, 20:35)
I don't like how ignorant and arrogant some of your people are

This the big thing I hate about Americans. It's not all of them, but there are quite a few. Canada and the US have a very unique relationship, which is easily debatable as one of the closest relationships among two nations in the world. In Canada, the majority of people know the basics about the US, and we learn about US in school, yet many Americans don't know anything about Canada. It just seems like many Americans are stuck in their own little bubble and fail to notice the rest of the world around them. More Americans need to watch this video.

okei
  • okei

Dressed to kill like I'm Gianni Versace

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 26 January 2011 - 02:34 AM

america!!! yeah greatest country on earth!!!! yeah yeah yeah!!!! innovator of everything!!!!i bow before you!!!!!!!!!!!!!! USA NUMBER ONE!!!! 1 1 1 11 1 BIGGEST POWER EVER!! SUPPPPPERPOWER

LuisBellic
  • LuisBellic

8 Balls

• Members

Posted 26 January 2011 - 02:50 AM Edited by LuisBellic, 26 January 2011 - 02:53 AM.

QUOTE (AmyJones @ Jan 26 2011, 01:20)

That's f*cked up. I dont have that where I live though smile.gif Another reason I hate america is the f*cking cops they treat you like sh*t. They arrested my mom for accidentaly calling them when she was drunk, how the hell was she supposed to know?

WHAT!?
  • WHAT!?

The Ed One

• The Precinct
  • United-States

Posted 26 January 2011 - 03:07 AM

QUOTE (finn4life @ Jan 25 2011, 19:47)
On a sidenote, the dumbass government should impose tough gun-laws everywhere in America, "i need a gun for self defense" if every tom dick and harry has a gun, whats the point? You would be better off if you both had fists, why do you think there is so much gun crime.

Yes because criminals tend to buy guns legally. Making it harder for the law abiding population to purchase a firearm would totally solve the problem of gun crime.

Totally valid argument you got there. turn.gif

Tyler
  • Tyler

time is a flat circle

• Unknown

Posted 26 January 2011 - 03:21 AM

Ryan, I have a newfound love for my northern neighbours now. To be honest, most all I've learned about Canada has been on the internet and from you and Otter. I'd definitely like to try and go up to Canada soon though, it seems like a wonderful place.

QUOTE (Finnforlyfe)
I wasn't stereotyping i was generalizing, and if you read the bottom of my post you would notice that i didn't say every person was like that, just a large proportion is what i meant.

I wasn't being an asshole, I was being a douchebag. See what I did there?

Anyway, America is a great country, and I couldn't imagine being born and raised anywhere else. Obviously, I'd like to travel the world and see what I'm missing out there, but America will always be my home. I think the most amazing part of America however, is the diversity. We've got an impressive range of biological ecosystems, indigenous animals, cultural customs and people.

I live in what's thought of as a more laid back state in here, but if I walk two blocks east or west I can see at least thirteen different country's influences, and at least ten different races of people. You rarely get that in a rural area of any other country in the world. Also, like DDS said, we've got the strongest military power in the world right now. It's a bonus in the end.

Stefche
  • Stefche

• Andolini Mafia Family

Posted 26 January 2011 - 03:29 AM

You're my favourite country in the world; for years, I've dreamt about migrating there and making a life in the US, for myself and for my future family. You have the most diverse, interesting and breathtaking scenery in the world, with pretty much every geographical area you can think of. Your culture, despite being quite homogeneous and nation-wide, still varies state to state; there are huge disparities between the culture of a New Yorker, to people from California, to those from Florida, and those from Utah. I love that; it's like there are different ethnicities and cultures within one huge country, it's great.

Your education and healthcare systems suck, though, and I loathe your country's foreign policy. And, although others may call Americans bigoted and arrogant (which is certainly true for some people, but every country has those people, especially Australia), the fact that the US is the world's largest melting pot, and the fact that practically every ethnicity on the planet has a place in the US is a huge testament to the welcoming, pioneering spirit of the American people through history. No other country respects the right for someone to make something of themselves like the US, in my eyes.

Kwandilibro
  • Kwandilibro

Be eye itch.

• Members

Posted 26 January 2011 - 04:06 AM

You've gotta love that about Americans. Everybody knows all about us, even our nation's history. But ask an American about Canada, Britain, or Australia? "Who gives a sh*t about them?". I also adore our government, acting like children, bickering over petty sh*t, and incapable of agreeing on the smallest things. On top of that, we get taxed for damn near everything. Even if I'm given money, it gets taxed.

Even better though, is how Americans either fear or hate anything they don't understand. That's why we've got so many racists over here. Damn people don't even know you, and already don't like you.

Tyler
  • Tyler

time is a flat circle

• Unknown

Posted 26 January 2011 - 04:15 AM

QUOTE (Kwandilibro @ Jan 25 2011, 22:06)
On top of that, we get taxed for damn near everything. Even if I'm given money, it gets taxed.

Say that to a Canadian and see what they tell you. tounge.gif

The Killa
  • The Killa

Diet Water Please

• Andolini Mafia Family

Posted 26 January 2011 - 04:47 AM

On top of that, we get taxed for damn near everything. Even if I'm given money, it gets taxed.

Son, you don't know anything about this yet.

OdDsOcK
  • OdDsOcK

Overseer of the Congregation

• Members

Posted 26 January 2011 - 05:03 AM

I second Unoriginal's point. More socialist countries (and I use that term in a friendly way) tax the hell out of their citizens (comparatively), but in return their citizens get very affordable lives.

I agree and disagree on many points with my fellow Americans. Many see ourselves as being a very ignorant and closed-minded populace, but I would disagree. The problem is, the ones who are ignorant and closed-minded get all the attention. I think the Rally To Restore Sanity/Keep Fear Alive was a great example of how many more Americans than we are led to believe are intelligent, independent thinkers who don't vote party lines because Fox News told them to.

In addition to the argument about learning about other countries, at least where I come from Ancient & Medieval History and Modern World History are two requirements to graduate high school. We can't force people to learn the material, some people just goof off and focus on their own stupid business. There are people like that in every country, they exist irrespective of nationality. Continuing on, there's one America and quite a few of you. I hope that all the countries in the world, major or otherwise, don't expect us to learn everything or even something about them. We happen to be in the unique position of being the world's leading superpower and in our short existence as a nation we've been a significant part of the history of the world, and so because of that I can rationalize why other nations find it so important to learn about us compared to us learning about all of them, and I mean ALL of them.

Still, I really wish more Americans knew more about the world outside the States. It would do them a lot of good. I've made it a point to educate myself on other countries but sadly a good portion of our media has become sensationalist and shallow. Comedian David Cross made a point of how f*cked up it is that he has to check BBC to get news about his own country.

Anyway, I love my country--with the exception of certain parts *cough*the South*cough* but I would like to see the changes many of you talk about; healthcare, foreign policy/immigration, and so on. I dream of an America that's the apple of the world's eye just like "back in the day" and it makes me very happy to see so many nice things said about my country from outside of it.

So that's that.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users