Fuel in GTAV

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
930 replies to this topic
gta_fan28
  • gta_fan28

Boy Cute

• Members

Posted 25 January 2011 - 04:43 AM

In mafia 2 u have to refill a fuel on your Car I also want that feature in GTAV. In GTAIV The Gasoline Station is useless besides on blowing it. It adds realism on the game as well. Feel free to share ur thoughts and opinions.

Bobby_Williams
  • Bobby_Williams

Snitch

• BUSTED!

Posted 25 January 2011 - 04:58 AM

Yes yes yes,this is what ive been wanting for the longest.

NickRad
  • NickRad

I'm Boxxy you see

• BUSTED!

Posted 25 January 2011 - 05:19 AM

It's a terrible idea, that's one of the reasons why Mafia 2 sucked in comparison to IV

gta_fan28
  • gta_fan28

Boy Cute

• Members

Posted 25 January 2011 - 05:22 AM

QUOTE (NickRad @ Jan 25 2011, 05:19)
It's a terrible idea, that's one of the reasons why Mafia 2 sucked in comparison to IV

How can u say it's terrible? It works well in mafia 2? It also adds realism to the game. Why not in GTAV?

DCTF
  • DCTF

Rat

• Members

Posted 25 January 2011 - 05:40 AM

QUOTE (gta_fan28 @ Jan 25 2011, 05:22)

How can u say it's terrible? It works well in mafia 2? It also adds realism to the game. Why not in GTAV?

Vehicles wear out anyway - if you drive one for too long, even with no collisions, its tyres will blow out and/or it'll begin to smoke and stop working. This is fixed at the repair shop.

That, to me, replaces the need for any additional fuel concerns. Also, in order to make fuel a realistic feature of the game it would have to burn at an unrealistic rate. You don't refuel your car every day, but in GTA you don't drive a car for longer than a day and if you do, it's going to need maintenance at the mechanic's shop (where of course, you'd expect it to be refueled).

The only thing I can imagine gas stations adding to the gameplay would be your vulnerability to gun fire while filling the car, and that's not enough for me. It could really mess up timed missions, and I think it has too many drawbacks.

The_Mario_Man
  • The_Mario_Man

Every 5 Minutes

• Members

Posted 25 January 2011 - 06:00 AM Edited by The_Mario_Man, 25 January 2011 - 06:08 AM.

I recall a San Andreas mod that added fuel to all of the vehicles. Depending on the car, you could actually drive across the entire state on a single tank of gas. Refueling wasn't very inconvenient either. Just a few seconds of waiting at the gas station. Only problem was a severe lack of gas stations in San Andreas.

If fuel can be handled to a point where you're not running out every 5 minutes, and there's plenty of refueling points to access, I guess it could work. As far as people worrying about running out of gas go, in GTA games you rarely stay in any single vehicle long enough to get to that point anyway. Unless you're just unfortunate enough to jack a car that's already low.

TheCacti
  • TheCacti

l'administration vous emmerde

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Macau

Posted 25 January 2011 - 06:22 AM

Question: In MafiaII, how far will a full tank of gas get you?

This is the only problem I see when having a fuel gauge into GTA: having to often refuel. If a full tank of gas could last you an in-game week or so, then I think it would work fine. As aforementioned, it'd be necessary to have gas stations reasonably accessibly across the map or else it'd become a pain in the ass.

Personally, I like the idea. However small of an impact, it still requires that much more planning before embarking on missions - where you may need an escape vehicle that won't leave you on the side of the road.

AceRay
  • AceRay

In my restless dreams, I see that town...

• Members

Posted 25 January 2011 - 06:27 AM

no no no. This is something that is just too trivial and would just be like they threw it on the top at the last minute. No thanks.

Racecarlock
  • Racecarlock

The floor here will kill you, try to avoid it.

• Members

Posted 25 January 2011 - 07:49 AM

OH FOR f*ckS SAKE JUST PLAY MAFIA 2!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! GTA IS NOT THE MAFIA GAME SERIES! HOLY sh*t! How many more "Be more like mafia II" suggestions am I going to see on this forum? GTA V is not the next 2k mafia game. No one intends it to be. Furthermore, i'd rather not have to stop every 5 minutes to gas up my car thank you very much.

Capricornus
  • Capricornus

R.I.P Zee -_-

• Leone Family Mafia

Posted 25 January 2011 - 07:59 AM

QUOTE (gta_fan28 @ Jan 25 2011, 05:22)

Well you have to remember that added realism is also the same thing that got people hating GTA IV...

As far as the fueling feature goes, I guess it would be okay. It would get tedious though. I mean, you know GTA V will have on of those missions where you have to drive from one corner of the map to the other.

gta_fan28
  • gta_fan28

Boy Cute

• Members

Posted 25 January 2011 - 03:16 PM

QUOTE (Racecarlock @ Jan 25 2011, 07:49)
OH FOR f*ckS SAKE JUST PLAY MAFIA 2!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! GTA IS NOT THE MAFIA GAME SERIES! HOLY sh*t! How many more "Be more like mafia II" suggestions am I going to see on this forum? GTA V is not the next 2k mafia game. No one intends it to be. Furthermore, i'd rather not have to stop every 5 minutes to gas up my car thank you very much.

Ofcourse I know mafia 2 is not the same as GTA series I'm just putting mafia 2 as example, so why not GTAV.

blaze_up_ya_dead_h0mie_420024
  • blaze_up_ya_dead_h0mie_420024

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 25 January 2011 - 03:36 PM

If Rockstar Implemented The Fuel Feature, I Wouldn't Even Consider Buying, Honestly. Its Useless & Un-Needed Imho. I Just Couldnt See Doing A Mission Where I'm Being Chased By Cops Or 2-3 Cadillac's Full Of Fully Armed Gang Members & All The Sudden My Car Runs Out Of Gas. Hahahaaaa I Just Cant See That Feature Working. Really Whats The Use, Other Than What You Said...To Add To The Realism Factor??

TheCacti
  • TheCacti

l'administration vous emmerde

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Macau

Posted 25 January 2011 - 03:56 PM

QUOTE (gta_fan28 @ Jan 25 2011, 15:16)
QUOTE (Racecarlock @ Jan 25 2011, 07:49)

Ofcourse I know mafia 2 is not the same as GTA series I'm just putting mafia 2 as example, so why not GTAV.

Nothing wrong with referencing another game, but when you put "just like ____" in the title of the topic it eludes that you simply want the game to borrow the idea. instead of building their own kind of fuel gauge.

btw, how long does a full tank of gas last you in MafiaII?

Long Haired Freaky Guy
  • Long Haired Freaky Guy

Gangsta

• Members

Posted 25 January 2011 - 04:12 PM

God I hope they don't bring this into the next GTA. Whilst it may work on Mafia II, this is GTA, and I just can't see it working out. For most of the time, you use a car to get between missions, and usually it gets pretty smashed up en ruote, so you just tend to jump out and get another car anyway. Plus, imagine doing a street race and your car runs out of fuel...tell me that wouldn't annoy the hell out of you?

valensim
  • valensim

Red Dead Undead

• Members

Posted 25 January 2011 - 04:21 PM

no tnx, not for me

The_Mario_Man
  • The_Mario_Man

Every 5 Minutes

• Members

Posted 25 January 2011 - 04:55 PM Edited by The_Mario_Man, 25 January 2011 - 05:03 PM.

QUOTE (Long Haired Freaky Guy @ Jan 25 2011, 12:12)
GoPlus, imagine doing a street race and your car runs out of fuel...tell me that wouldn't annoy the hell out of you?

I would hope that somebody would have the sense to fill up their car before participating in a race...

Even if you meant going empty from a full tank, how long do races normally last in GTA games? Like 2-5 minutes? I doubt fuel would be consumed that quickly. I'm thinking that everybody's just having bad memories of the "Supply Lines" mission in San Andreas.

GTA 360
  • GTA 360

LIVE WITH IT OR DIE FROM IT.

• Members

Posted 25 January 2011 - 04:56 PM

Yeah I really like this idea, that's why I posted it in the WISHLIST TOPIC ages ago.

reform
  • reform

Beaten, battered, bruised, Told to get down

• Members

Posted 25 January 2011 - 05:34 PM

Worst idea ever.

Being able to fill up the tank at pumps would be a nice RP feature, and no doubt it's those few folk who like to RP in GTA that are asking for this feature, but having to stop to refuel a car if you jack one that is low on fuel is just not needed in a GTA game.

If it became a feature, few people would bother, they'd just jack a new car if the one they were in was low on fuel.

Usable gas stations? Sure. Cars that run out of fuel? No.

Narcis_speed6
  • Narcis_speed6

The Saint

• The Connection
  • None
  • Most Talented [Expression] 2012
    Most Helpful [Expression] 2012
    Most Helpful 2011
    Most Talented [Expression] 2011
    Most Helpful [Expression] 2011
    Best Member in a Group 2011
    Most Helpful [GTA Series] 2011
    Most Respected 2010
    Most Helpful 2010
    Most Talented [Visual Arts] 2010
    Most Helpful [Visual Arts] 2010
    Most Helpful [GTA Series] 2010

Posted 25 January 2011 - 05:39 PM

Sucked? how come? You can finish the game without refueling, I didn't even knew that you can re-fuel until I saw an
article on net.

Long Haired Freaky Guy
  • Long Haired Freaky Guy

Gangsta

• Members

Posted 25 January 2011 - 05:42 PM

QUOTE (The_Mario_Man @ Jan 25 2011, 17:55)
QUOTE (Long Haired Freaky Guy @ Jan 25 2011, 12:12)
GoPlus, imagine doing a street race and your car runs out of fuel...tell me that wouldn't annoy the hell out of you?

I would hope that somebody would have the sense to fill up their car before participating in a race...

Even if you meant going empty from a full tank, how long do races normally last in GTA games? Like 2-5 minutes? I doubt fuel would be consumed that quickly. I'm thinking that everybody's just having bad memories of the "Supply Lines" mission in San Andreas.

Yes, but 2-5 minutes is 2-5 hours in-game.

The_Mario_Man
  • The_Mario_Man

Every 5 Minutes

• Members

Posted 25 January 2011 - 06:02 PM

I'm fairly sure they'd go by real-time, or distance-driven when it comes to something like fuel.

Seeing as how when a mission says you have 3 minutes to do something you don't lose instantly because of the game's clock.

Racecarlock
  • Racecarlock

The floor here will kill you, try to avoid it.

• Members

Posted 25 January 2011 - 06:13 PM

The "It would make it more realistic" argument doesn't hold water with me, and here's why. GTA, at least from the beginning in the top-down (GTA 1) all the way to the end of the ps2 era (San Andreas) was not known for its realism now was it? Oh sure, San Andreas had RPG elements and hunger, but I could turn those off with cheats and then enable vehicle of death, spawn a military jet with rotating engines, and fly around. Even in vice city I could run amok in the streets with a tank or a demolition derby car (bloodring banger). Did anyone honestly buy GTA IV because they thought "Holy crap I hope this has some nice bowling and darts mini games"? I don't think so. Most people bought it because they thought it'd have tanks or a plane or something, but they had to wait until BOGT just to get tanks, and planes are not drivable even though you have a friggin shootout in the interior of one. Now, ask yourself this. Would anyone look at the box for a new GTA at a game store and go "Oh my goodness I hope that i'll run out of gas and will have to stop and refuel every 5 minutes"? Again, I really don't think so. Does ANYONE look at GTA and think "I hope this will become a realistic life simulator one day"? NO! Furthermore, GTA V does NOT need to be like mafia II. I'm really tired of seeing suggestions that read "just like in mafia II" or something similar to that. If you want something like mafia II, wait for mafia III or get L.A. Noire, which I think would be your kind of game.

The_Mario_Man
  • The_Mario_Man

Every 5 Minutes

• Members

Posted 25 January 2011 - 06:18 PM

I've started to see the phrase "every 5 minutes" show up a lot. I even used it in an earlier post.

It's like everybody thinks that if Rockstar adds a new feature, they'll do it in the most inconvenient/frustrating way possible.

Long Haired Freaky Guy
  • Long Haired Freaky Guy

Gangsta

• Members

Posted 25 January 2011 - 06:23 PM

QUOTE (The_Mario_Man @ Jan 25 2011, 19:18)
It's like everybody thinks that if Rockstar adds a new feature, they'll do it in the most inconvenient/frustrating way possible.

Why else would having to fuel your car up be added to the game, if not to make us have to drive to a fuel station every so often or find ourselves having to abandon a sports car due to lack of fuel?

The_Mario_Man
  • The_Mario_Man

Every 5 Minutes

• Members

Posted 25 January 2011 - 06:35 PM Edited by The_Mario_Man, 25 January 2011 - 06:44 PM.

I see it as a benefit in terms of strategy and planning. IE, before doing a mission, you check if you'll have enough health, ammunition, and fuel to get yourself out of whatever situation you may turn up in.

I don't see it being any more inconvenient than Pay 'n Sprays, provided you are given a reasonable amount of fuel. Unless stopping the car for a few seconds is really that much of a problem for somebody.

Mr.Moffat
  • Mr.Moffat

Street Cat

• Members

Posted 25 January 2011 - 08:07 PM

Most people bought it because they thought it'd have tanks or a plane or something

I bought gta for it's story, enviroment, music, wit, shootouts, car chases. If people are only intersted in gta because you can get a tank or plane, then they are just as bad as people who want to ultra life simulation.

your tired of hearing just like mafia 2? im tired of hearing, seeing, breathing, smelling just like San ANdreas! (not snapping at u, just making a point) I rarley see like gta3 or vc. Are they not gta games?

As for fuel, sure why not, I own mafia 2, finished it, messed around, not once has a car run out of gas. R* are not idiots, if it's added they'll make it work. everyone who is against it seems to think cars will run out
"every 5 minutes"
and being stuck in the middle of nowhere.

Now im R* would make all cars last for a good bit of time before completly drying up, 2 1/2 hours real time is perfect, and if you still have the same car after that length of time, then you must have time to stop and get some.

R* will fill the map wit gas stations for convienence and acessabilty.

A clear fuel indicator and pehaps an on screen message will flash when car is on say 15 minutes of fuel, provide good warning for people who seem to think cars will just stop without warning.

Filling up will prob be as simple as driving to the pump, car fills, money is taken, all done within 5 secs.

On missions, simple fill up before you go, and most missions supply u with a car anyway so im sure it will be programmed to have full gas.

When parking car in garage, car can refuel(a realistic feature, does'nt have to be 100% realistic, some people don't understand this)

IM POSITVE THERE WILL BE A REFILL GAS CHEAT OR TURN OFF GAS CHEAT FOR THOSE WHO PLAY GTA FOR'fun'.

Believe it or not, I don't care if gas is put in the game or not, just stop thinking it will be the most stupid, ill-thought, hal-assed, last minute feature in the history of video games.

blaze_up_ya_dead_h0mie_420024
  • blaze_up_ya_dead_h0mie_420024

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 25 January 2011 - 08:22 PM

[QUOTE]As for fuel, sure why not, I own mafia 2, finished it, messed around, not once has a car run out of gas. R* are not idiots, if it's added they'll make it work. everyone who is against it seems to think cars will run outQUOTE
"every 5 minutes"
and being stuck in the middle of nowhere.

I dont dis-like the idea because "i think im going to run out of gas every 5 minutes& be stuck so you say Moffat". I know R* are great at what they do & I know if they implemented that feature they would somehow pull it off to make it work great without too much hassle towards players. But I just dis-like it because, wether they have you running out of gas " every 5 minutes" or a lengthy gap in between, the idea just doesn't add to the fun factor. I play gta for fun, & honestly I dont see where re-fueling is anywhere near adding fun towards the game, maybe realism.
I just feel why waste time on adding a fuel feature, when time could be used more wisely towards a fun activite that the majority wants. I respect the O,P's opinion & he/she throwing their idea out there that they think would be a great feature. But this one just seems like it would be a waste of time & coding. Especially for something that doesn't even add fun to the game.

Mr.Moffat
  • Mr.Moffat

Street Cat

• Members

Posted 25 January 2011 - 08:38 PM Edited by Mr.Moffat, 25 January 2011 - 09:10 PM.

I think that's one of the biggest aspects of the game. Just being able to stand on the sidewalk and watch things happen. Having something comical or cinematic happen without even pressing a button

Of course, I was'nt attacking you, but the five minute seems to be everyone's arguement, as stated I do not care if fuel is added or not, I've not been bothered by its lack in gta, but it never bothered me in mafia ii either.

People just need to stop acting like it will destroy the game.

meson1
  • meson1

Soldier

• Members

Posted 25 January 2011 - 09:08 PM Edited by meson1, 25 January 2011 - 09:49 PM.

It would add a completeness by having working gas stations. For me it's a nice to have feature, but not essential.

From a gameplay perspective, the last thing you'd want from this kind of thing is for it to get annoying, which it will once the novelty wears off. Especially if it's mandatory in some way.

Generally, tying the player to a meaningless, menial task does not work. Remember having to eat to stay alive in SA? Disaster as a feature. Think of how many people were unhappy with the friends system in GTA:IV with the way they called too often and how it wasn't quick and easy to say no (also look how Rockstar learned from that in the episodes; friends call much less frequently).

So I don't think fuel would work unless it was as unintrusive as possible. Perhaps tie it into a mission or two, but otherwise, if it's in there it needs to take a back seat.

Ibrahim-al baghdadi
  • Ibrahim-al baghdadi

“Proud Founder of The 'Vercetti' Crime Family''

• Members
  • None

Posted 25 January 2011 - 09:19 PM

Well if you could disable and enable it in the menu that would be awesome so everyones happy! tounge2.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users