Sleeping Dogs

2,091 replies to this topic
Lazyboy.
  • Lazyboy.

dat was mad tekkers bruh

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 05 August 2012 - 09:00 AM

QUOTE (Ryda King @ Sunday, Aug 5 2012, 02:15)
If you want real classic shoot out action movies, check out some John Woo films. My personal favorite being Hard Boiled. If there's anyone to make a Sleeping Dogs movie, it's John Woo. The guy can do action like no other. Also check out some other Chow Yun Fat films like The Replacement Killers and The Corruptor.

i think the reason most of us are looking forward to sleeping dogs is because we saw those films already and want to play it out in a game.

Ryda King
  • Ryda King

Nevags Gordo Scrotorum

• BUSTED!

Posted 05 August 2012 - 09:02 AM

QUOTE (LazyboyEight @ Sunday, Aug 5 2012, 09:00)
QUOTE (Ryda King @ Sunday, Aug 5 2012, 02:15)
If you want real classic shoot out action movies, check out some John Woo films. My personal favorite being Hard Boiled. If there's anyone to make a Sleeping Dogs movie, it's John Woo. The guy can do action like no other. Also check out some other Chow Yun Fat films like The Replacement Killers and The Corruptor.

i think the reason most of us are looking forward to sleeping dogs is because we saw those films already and want to play it out in a game.

I'm just posting it for people who haven't seen them yet.

swler007
  • swler007

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 05 August 2012 - 11:37 AM

Open world games are really the only games I pre-order/pay full price for since I usually spend hundreds of hours in them. Any idea how big the map is? Hong Kong is a pretty kick ass city and hopefully the game does it justice.

Ryda King
  • Ryda King

Nevags Gordo Scrotorum

• BUSTED!

Posted 05 August 2012 - 11:55 AM

QUOTE (swler007 @ Sunday, Aug 5 2012, 11:37)
Open world games are really the only games I pre-order/pay full price for since I usually spend hundreds of hours in them. Any idea how big the map is? Hong Kong is a pretty kick ass city and hopefully the game does it justice.

Not entirely sure about the map size but apparently they recreated Hong Kong exactly and put a lot of detail into it.

Street Mix
  • Street Mix

Boss

• Members
  • Dominican-Republic

Posted 05 August 2012 - 01:42 PM

Only HK Island is in the game and maybe a few neighbor islands.

Menaced
  • Menaced

• Andolini Mafia Family

Posted 05 August 2012 - 02:08 PM

Here's an image of (what looks like) the entire map:

user posted image

The devs seem to have forgotten to include the iconic Hong Kong airport. "recreated Hong Kong exactly" my left bollock.

Still majorly stoked for this game, nonetheless.

wwinterj
  • wwinterj

Boss

• Members

Posted 05 August 2012 - 02:19 PM

I'll buy this for sure and it's a little cheaper than normal full price games in the UK (£35) but I hope it's better than true crime. By the looks of things it looks like it will be. I don't think it'll be better than GTA games but it'll fill the void I assume. I would however like to watch a video review and form my own opinions on what I see before taking the plunge.

Narcis_speed6
  • Narcis_speed6

The Saint

• The Connection

Posted 05 August 2012 - 03:45 PM

QUOTE (Menaced @ Sunday, Aug 5 2012, 14:08)
The devs seem to have forgotten to include the iconic Hong Kong airport.

I doubt they forgotten, is just that they don't have any flyable vehicles and a airport would be kinda pointless.

GroveStRoamer
  • GroveStRoamer

#FACT

• BUSTED!

Posted 05 August 2012 - 09:31 PM

That map looks so small confused.gif Not going to prevent me from buying it.

BlackLightning
  • BlackLightning

Thug

• Members

Posted 05 August 2012 - 10:17 PM Edited by BlackLightning, 05 August 2012 - 10:20 PM.

I'm a bit disappointed that I haven't seen Wei Shen wielding a sword and chopping people's limbs off. Other than that, this game looks fantastic and I will definitely pick it up on release day.

edit:

That map doesn't look very dense, street wise. Hopefully it's just an overview of the main roads and there are lots of smaller streets that aren't shown.

BlackLightning
  • BlackLightning

Thug

• Members

Posted 05 August 2012 - 10:32 PM

QUOTE (Johnny_Cash1983 @ Saturday, Aug 4 2012, 12:42)
How the f*ck is this game is getting away with take downs and Manhunt don't.

Good point. Here's the ESRB rating summary:

Rating summary: This is a third-person shooter in which players assume the role of an undercover police officer who must infiltrate a crime organization in Hong Kong. As players complete missions to earn experience points and advance the plot, they use knives, meat cleavers, assault rifles, grenades, and other weapons to kill human enemies (e.g., armed/unarmed thugs, gang members). Hand-to-hand combat is a major component of gameplay: players can perform “environmental kills” such as throwing enemies into an ice chipper, pushing their heads into a table saw, impaling them on elevated meat hooks—these sequences are accompanied by slow-motion effects, exaggerated blood splatter, and scattered body parts. Cutscenes also depict intense acts of violence (e.g., unarmed characters getting shot at point-blank range; a restrained character being tortured with a razor and power drill). The game contains sexual material, which can be heard in the dialogue (e.g., “Hey, tell your sister to give me a call, huh? I wouldn't mind giving her a mouthful,” “Tell Ming to stick with girls over 14 this time,” The triads use those places as whorehouses”). In one sequence, a woman is briefly shown reaching for a man's crotch (both characters are fully clothed); in another, players can use in-game credits to make “massage parlor” purchases (the screen fades to black). Drug use is referenced several times, and one cutscene depicts a man snorting an illicit substance. Words such as “f**k,” “c*nt,” and “sh*t” can be heard in dialogue.

If this was a Rockstar game, Fox News would be going ape sh*t right now.

sublimelabs
  • sublimelabs

The Jimmy Rustler

• Members

Posted 05 August 2012 - 11:33 PM

Quick question, is it true that there's a Cantonese language option for this? Heard something about that, but I question whether or not they'd really go that far.

theomenofficial
  • theomenofficial

Muslim

• Members

Posted 06 August 2012 - 02:52 AM Edited by theomenofficial, 07 August 2012 - 03:19 PM.

QUOTE (Menaced @ Sunday, Aug 5 2012, 14:08)
Here's an image of (what looks like) the entire map:

-Map-

The devs seem to have forgotten to include the iconic Hong Kong airport. "recreated Hong Kong exactly" my left bollock.

Still majorly stoked for this game, nonetheless.

Where have you been? That map was proven fake ages ago.This is the real map.user posted image
EDIT:The same map,just zoomed in.

Tony.
  • Tony.

Haulin' Oats

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 06 August 2012 - 03:02 AM

^^^^I don't see how one could be fake and the other one real mercie_blink.gif They both look the same to me, just one's more zoomed in and a different color than the other.

badboy_zay
  • badboy_zay

:)

• Members
  • None

Posted 06 August 2012 - 04:50 AM

that map wasn't fake
it is obvious that they have to improve, add more details to the map during the development

Johnny_Cash1983
  • Johnny_Cash1983

CopKilla

• Members

Posted 06 August 2012 - 09:51 AM

QUOTE (BlackLightning @ Sunday, Aug 5 2012, 22:32)
QUOTE (Johnny_Cash1983 @ Saturday, Aug 4 2012, 12:42)
How the f*ck is this game is getting away with take downs and Manhunt don't.

Good point. Here's the ESRB rating summary:

Rating summary: This is a third-person shooter in which players assume the role of an undercover police officer who must infiltrate a crime organization in Hong Kong. As players complete missions to earn experience points and advance the plot, they use knives, meat cleavers, assault rifles, grenades, and other weapons to kill human enemies (e.g., armed/unarmed thugs, gang members). Hand-to-hand combat is a major component of gameplay: players can perform “environmental kills” such as throwing enemies into an ice chipper, pushing their heads into a table saw, impaling them on elevated meat hooks—these sequences are accompanied by slow-motion effects, exaggerated blood splatter, and scattered body parts. Cutscenes also depict intense acts of violence (e.g., unarmed characters getting shot at point-blank range; a restrained character being tortured with a razor and power drill). The game contains sexual material, which can be heard in the dialogue (e.g., “Hey, tell your sister to give me a call, huh? I wouldn't mind giving her a mouthful,” “Tell Ming to stick with girls over 14 this time,” The triads use those places as whorehouses”). In one sequence, a woman is briefly shown reaching for a man's crotch (both characters are fully clothed); in another, players can use in-game credits to make “massage parlor” purchases (the screen fades to black). Drug use is referenced several times, and one cutscene depicts a man snorting an illicit substance. Words such as “f**k,” “c*nt,” and “sh*t” can be heard in dialogue.

If this was a Rockstar game, Fox News would be going ape sh*t right now.

The bitches made Manhunt 3 get canceled.

sublimelabs
  • sublimelabs

The Jimmy Rustler

• Members

Posted 06 August 2012 - 09:57 AM

QUOTE (Johnny_Cash1983 @ Monday, Aug 6 2012, 09:51)

The bitches made Manhunt 3 get canceled.

Manhunt 3 sounds like it could be a definite flop, in my opinion. It'd be nice to see a new psychological horror stealth game from Rockstar, though. A reboot of the series would be interesting... I wonder if they could pull it off next-gen.

And I look forward to seeing what sh*t Fox has to say when GTA V comes out.

TheTerminatorNY
  • TheTerminatorNY

Saxon = Joke Account

• Members

Posted 07 August 2012 - 01:09 AM

QUOTE (theomenofficial @ Sunday, Aug 5 2012, 22:52)
Where have you been? That map was proven fake ages ago.This is the real map.

They are the same, the one you posted is just zoomed in and has more detail.

Audiophile
  • Audiophile

And your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth...

• Zaibatsu
  • Canada

Posted 07 August 2012 - 02:00 AM

We've got early access to Sleeping Dogs! Join Sark, Kovic and others as well as Jeff O'Connell (senior producer of Sleeping Dogs) as they play through this gritty open-world cop drama on Tuesday, August 7th, from 2:30pm to 4:30pm Pacific Time. We'll be giving away some exclusive swag direct from Square Enix so you definitely don't want to miss it! Make sure you tune in and catch all the action over at machinimalive.com!

I probably won't watch it, as I don't want to ruin the experience and have anything spoiled but....I may check some of it out.

Mr.Moffat
  • Mr.Moffat

Street Cat

• Members

Posted 07 August 2012 - 10:25 PM

First review (well preview) I've come across
9/10 fantastic start
hope the review scores mimic this and the games commercially does well
It would be a nice big middle finger to Activison with the added bonus of making me even more excited to play!

review

Dnero
  • Dnero

Top Dawg

• The Yardies
  • Indonesia

Posted 07 August 2012 - 11:18 PM

You know what? I've decided that I'll buy this game, been watching the live stream and it looks like something I could play for a while.

Not sure for PS3 or PC though, gotta have to wait for that system requirements.

MosquitoSmasher
  • MosquitoSmasher

Moonwalker like MJ

• Members

Posted 07 August 2012 - 11:50 PM

Editor Ben Wilson describes Square's open world crime game as "the best bits of a load of games you love pooled together with intelligence and humour."

The review adds: "This is the game Saints Row has spent a decade desperate to be, a rollercoaster open-world adventure set in an environment that's fun to explore and doss about in, and packed to the brim with rousing missions, happy diversions and other amazing stuff."

OPM's review concludes: "It's unquestionably 2012's most brilliantly brutal surprise, and you're duty-bound to check it out".

Originally developed for Activision under the name True Crime: Hong Kong, Sleeping Dogs - as it became known - was later dropped by the Call of Duty publisher and then snapped up by Square Enix last summer.

It's looking like we should probably look forward to it... a lot.

Remix
  • Remix

Li'l G Loc

• Members

Posted 08 August 2012 - 02:47 AM

Looks like the pop-in issue has been fixed from the video of the live stream. Woo!

Ryda King
  • Ryda King

Nevags Gordo Scrotorum

• BUSTED!

Posted 08 August 2012 - 06:12 AM

I have no doubt it's gonna be great but I still don't trust reviews like that. They said the same shlt about GTA IV and Saints Row 3. Then you buy the game and it sucks.

JonSnow17
  • JonSnow17

Thronie

• BUSTED!

Posted 08 August 2012 - 06:22 PM

QUOTE (Ryda King @ Wednesday, Aug 8 2012, 06:12)
I have no doubt it's gonna be great but I still don't trust reviews like that. They said the same shlt about GTA IV and Saints Row 3. Then you buy the game and it sucks.

WTF ? GTA IV did not suck you neanderthal ! Maybe you don't know how to play it or to you sh*tty games means great .

Dj_Gh0zt
  • Dj_Gh0zt

Just another rapper.

• BUSTED!

Posted 08 August 2012 - 06:36 PM

QUOTE (JonSnow17 @ Wednesday, Aug 8 2012, 18:22)

WTF ? GTA IV did not suck you neanderthal ! Maybe you don't know how to play it or to you sh*tty games means great .

Notice how he put SRTT in there too. THat was a bad game. Some people just don't like GTA 4. Get over it fanboy.

Tycek
  • Tycek

Being a bastard works.

• The Yardies
  • Poland

Posted 08 August 2012 - 06:52 PM

First reviews are slowly starting pouring in.

OXM gave a 75, which didn't surprise me at all.

The Yokel
  • The Yokel

Boob groper

• The Yardies
  • Jamaica

Posted 08 August 2012 - 07:22 PM Edited by GTAvanja, 08 August 2012 - 07:32 PM.

A bit about the PC version. High-res texture pack on day one? Great.

TF2 goodies for Steam pre-order: http://www.sleepingd...F2-Triad-Bundle

System requirements and other stuff: http://www.sleepingd...g-Dogs-PC-Specs

For the lazy:

QUOTE (Official system requirements)

Minimum:
Processor: Core 2 Duo 2.4 GHz or Althon X2 2.7 GHz
Memory: 2GB
Hard Disk Space: 10GB
Video Card: DirectX 10 or 11 compatible Nvidia or AMD ATI card, ATI Radeon 3870 or higher, Nvidia GeForce 8800 GT or higher
DirectX®: 10
Sound: DirectX compatible sound card

Recommended:
Processor: Quad-core Intel or AMD CPU
Memory: 4GB
Hard Disk Space: 15GB
Video Card: DirectX 11 Nvidia or AMD ATI card, Nvidia GeForce GTX 560 or ATI Radeon 6950
DirectX®: 11
Sound: DirectX compatible sound card

QUOTE (Advanced PC Features)
Advanced PC Features
• Nvidia 3D Support
• Nvidia Multi Screen Monitor Support
• AMD EyeFinity Multi-Monitor Gold Status Support
• Window and Full Screen Mode Support
• Benchmark Mode

DirectX11 Specific Features
• Contact hardening shadows
• HD-AO
• Use of Direct Compute

Performance Enhancements
• Enhanced Performance on Dual Core and Quad Core Processors
• Enhanced Performance on Nvidia SLi
• Enhanced Performance on AMD Crossfire

Mouse, Keyboard, and Controller Support
• Xbox360 Controller Support
• Keyboard and Mouse Support including Key Remapping
• Auto Pad, Mouse and Keyboard Switching

Advanced PC Graphic Features
• Increased Small Object Detail
• High Resolution Texture Support
• High Resolution Shadows
• High Quality Shadow Filters
• Soft Particles
• High Quality SSAO (Screen Space Ambient Occlusion)
• High Quality Motion Blur
• Super Sample Anti-Aliasing

Steamworks Features Supported
• DLC Support
• Achievements
• Auto Patching
• Pre-Download
• Store Save Games to the Cloud
• Player to Player Chat

UtricularEwe001
  • UtricularEwe001

I am a Pirate

• Members
  • None

Posted 08 August 2012 - 07:23 PM

QUOTE (Tycek @ Wednesday, Aug 8 2012, 18:52)
First reviews are slowly starting pouring in.

OXM gave a 75, which didn't surprise me at all.

I believe that is 7.5 which is good for a new IP icon14.gif

Ryda King
  • Ryda King

Nevags Gordo Scrotorum

• BUSTED!

Posted 08 August 2012 - 07:48 PM

QUOTE (Dj_Gh0zt @ Wednesday, Aug 8 2012, 18:36)
QUOTE (JonSnow17 @ Wednesday, Aug 8 2012, 18:22)

Notice how he put SRTT in there too. THat was a bad game. Some people just don't like GTA 4. Get over it fanboy.

Don't bother, man. It's a waste of time trying to talk sense into fanboys.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users