Photo

New GTA IV Map: London

199 replies to this topic
Six Paths of Pain
  • Six Paths of Pain

Street Cat

• Members

Posted 30 July 2011 - 12:21 AM

QUOTE (OverTheBelow @ Saturday, Jul 30 2011, 00:09)
You are going to have a hell of a time making all the roads and texturing the map. wow.gif

The texturing will be done by a TEAM!!!!!!! (a big one at that) its just physically not possible to texture a map of this size by myself, and the roads aren't that hard lol, London has a LOT of parks and open spaces so in the end the road network only cover ~60% if the map,

nkjellman
  • nkjellman

Boss

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 30 July 2011 - 12:50 AM

How big is the map compared to GTA IV/EFLC's Liberty City, and San Andreas? Also are you trying to do street by street of the downtown area?

Six Paths of Pain
  • Six Paths of Pain

Street Cat

• Members

Posted 30 July 2011 - 01:23 AM Edited by Six Paths of Pain, 30 July 2011 - 01:26 AM.

QUOTE (nkjellman @ Saturday, Jul 30 2011, 00:50)
How big is the map compared to GTA IV/EFLC's Liberty City, and San Andreas? Also are you trying to do street by street of the downtown area?

its about half way inbetween GTA IV and San Andreas (leaning more to GTA IV size), so it will still have realistic London a very broad large city the not as "vertical" as GTA IV but more urban than San Andreas

thebestgameever
  • thebestgameever

Playa

• Members

Posted 31 July 2011 - 01:45 AM

Just camr back form london, great city.

A few questions:

Will you just have the city or actual motorways/ country sides around it?

Estimated release date biggrin.gif

Will the map be besides the IV map( liberty city) or replace it?

What are the chances of creating motorways to other places like Birmingham or other cities?

Thanks anyway, gonna spread the word!

dogwafter
  • dogwafter

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 31 July 2011 - 10:08 PM

hi,

I am very new to these forums and was wondering what help you needed? i am competent with sounds and Photoshop and a few other thing except modeling if you can supply me with videos, i can make you a nice trailer in after effects with motion tracking etc what ever you need doing, please get back to me i would love to help in this awesome mod. icon14.gif

best4bond
  • best4bond

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 01 August 2011 - 10:48 AM

This looks great, Ive known of this thing which puts london and a few orther towns into 3D, The textures arnt good and you cannot export them, But the buildings are in the right place and i hope it helps.

http://maps.nokia.co....95|51.17|0|14|

Kirst
  • Kirst

Snitch

• Members

Posted 01 August 2011 - 11:28 AM

This does look very good but don't you think you should start texturung it now? Also it's quite sporadic just now, maybe try building it up block my block. Just saying cause when you're doing it on full scale your machine's going to slow down and the project as a whole seems too big for one person.

It's great don't get me wrong but I think you're going to have issues doing it as one piece.

Six Paths of Pain
  • Six Paths of Pain

Street Cat

• Members

Posted 02 August 2011 - 02:46 PM

QUOTE (Kirst @ Monday, Aug 1 2011, 11:28)
This does look very good but don't you think you should start texturung it now? Also it's quite sporadic just now, maybe try building it up block my block. Just saying cause when you're doing it on full scale your machine's going to slow down and the project as a whole seems too big for one person.

It's great don't get me wrong but I think you're going to have issues doing it as one piece.

HAHA thats EXACTLY what I plan on doing!!!! i will devided the map into ~15-20 pieces based on section and then i'll have a team do all the texture for that "segment" of the map, then the next etc... and finally just put them all together to form one big ass map!!

someone123
  • someone123

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 02 August 2011 - 03:14 PM

Since Heathrow Airport is outside of that postcode map you posted, is it just going to be one road to it, or are you going to make the areas around it too?

Also, is this mod going to be for every platform? Or just PC. I'm totally new to this lol.

Kirst
  • Kirst

Snitch

• Members

Posted 02 August 2011 - 07:46 PM

QUOTE (Six Paths of Pain @ Tuesday, Aug 2 2011, 14:46)
QUOTE (Kirst @ Monday, Aug 1 2011, 11:28)
This does look very good but don't you think you should start texturung it now?  Also it's quite sporadic just now, maybe try building it up block my block.  Just saying cause when you're doing it on full scale your machine's going to slow down and the project as a whole seems too big for one person.

HAHA thats EXACTLY what I plan on doing!!!! i will devided the map into ~15-20 pieces based on section and then i'll have a team do all the texture for that "segment" of the map, then the next etc... and finally just put them all together to form one big ass map!!

Do you have a team yet? I'd be quite interested in doing a little bit during my spare time. smile.gif

Six Paths of Pain
  • Six Paths of Pain

Street Cat

• Members

Posted 13 August 2011 - 03:19 PM

Sorry for the late update "/ the section of the maps that will be released will downtown (City of London), I'm currently working on the street grid and building there at the moment, so there should be pics within a day or 2 smile.gif

ZZCOOL
  • ZZCOOL

http://www.youtube.com/user/taltigolt

• Members
  • Sweden

Posted 13 August 2011 - 04:03 PM

QUOTE (Six Paths of Pain @ Saturday, Aug 13 2011, 15:19)
Sorry for the late update "/ the section of the maps that will be released will downtown (City of London), I'm currently working on the street grid and building there at the moment, so there should be pics within a day or 2 smile.gif

how did it go with the thing we discusses in pm?

Tigernose
  • Tigernose

The Painta

• Members

Posted 16 August 2011 - 12:44 AM Edited by Tigernose, 16 August 2011 - 12:46 AM.

Regarding the street grid, living in London I could help you a little.

The post code map you supplied at the start of the thread does not actually show London's real shape. The total area in the postcode map subtracted by the true size of London would equal an area more than a half (maybe even two thirds) of the size shown on the postcode map.

Either way, after you calculated the total size of your map then I'm guessing it's 2.3 miles on each side.

I made a little street grid map to help you out with a few roads you may want to use. You can ignore it completely if you want (I don't mind smile.gif ) but living in London I can show you some of the more important roads and some details about them.

These are merely suggestions from me, but I'd say it would be a very effective way of planning out the city. I've left many details I notice personally when I travel through these areas on the list.

Search up the roads and landmarks on Wikipedia or on Google Earth or StreetView to check them out, I think that using this street grid (only major roads included) would be a nice way to set out the city, but it is your choice - I just wanted to help you out!

(I took the liberty of widening out your original map. Hopefully the area that isn't water will become land in future versions because the London shape you used isn't ideal in my opinion. My placements of landmarks and roads on your map was influenced by their real life position and how they would fit and scale on your map.)

user posted image

Key:

It looks a bit complicated, but this key should help you out. Anything blue is a motorway. Anything green is a major A road. Anything light green is a less important A road. Anything red are suggestions from that you could use to fill up your map.

The black outline is what I'm guessing are the boundaries of the map you will use. I superimposed my diagram on a snapshot of your map that you took earlier in the year.

1. The M25 - It's obviously a ring road around London. My guess is that the M25 will hug the edges of your map in the finished version.

2. The A13

3. The A2

4. The A20

5. The A23

6. The A3 - Goes through Richmond Park (#14).

7. The M4 - This is one of the most important motorways in England. It spans from London to Wales. In London, the motorway starts where the A4 (#21 on the map) ends. This area is called the Chiswick roundabout, and the North Circular and South Circular (#16) meet here, so it's a very important junction. Also, the M4 starts as an elevated motorway where the flat A4 ends. You might want to have some sort of flyover here for the M4.

8. A4020 - This is also a pretty important road in the West of London. It's all flat, and there is nice suburban housing all around it. It ends at Shepherd's Bush. Shepherd's Bush is home to Europe's largest shopping mall, Westfield (#22 you might want to add this to the map as well).

9. A40 - Possibly the most important road in West London, also known as Westway, is an elevated A road that is often thought of as a motorway (after leaving the M25 it indeed turns into a motorway officially). It ends when it reaches the "Central London Ring Road" (#15 this isn't a real road, but actually many roads that join together in the Centre of London to make a "ring road like shape". The A40 is elevated until it is adjacent to the east edge of Hyde Park.

10. Hyde Park - Obviously, this is the most famous park in London. It is just west of the centre of London. It has a river-like lake, many ponds, trees and open spaces. To fit it inside the map, I placed it inbetween the A4020 (#8) and the A4 (#21).

11. These are just a few modern buildings off the A40. They look really nice, and it would be nice to have them modelled if you wanted to have some good scenery. Check out the end of the A40 on Google Street View to check them out.

12. South Acton & Brentford Estate - These are two infamous West London council estate with many ugly concrete tower blocks. Both estates are a shambles and I used to live in one of them. In the Brentford Estate (corresponding roughly on the western half of my shaded area), there are about 4 clone tower blocks probably reaching 80m. The South Acton estate meanwhile averages at around 30m per tower block, but the area is disgusting. In real life, it is getting a nice modern refurbishment, but this could be a great place to have crime and gang missions on your map. Both are modeled on Google Earth already so check them out if you want.

13. Similar to #11, these are some nice modern buildings off the M4. In fact, Sega Europe's headquarters is here. These buildings are so cool somebody's modeled them in Sketchup and can be seen on Google Earth in 3D. They're practically right next to the Brentford Estate buildings.

14. Richmond Park - I wanted to use my previous idea of having an endless park representing Richmond Park to be the south-east border of the map (somebody had also mentioned something similar earlier in the post). Richmond Park is the largest park in London so I guess you'll have it one way or the other in your map.

15. Central London Ring Road - As aforementioned, not a single road but many. Everything inside is part of the borough of Westminister (almost). This is where Big Ben, London Eye and all that good stuff is.

16. North & Circular Ringroad - Two roads that circle inner London. Two very important roads in London, and almost every major road branches off it. Nearly all of it is flat road
(not elevated). The western and south-werstern portions of the road is particularly narrow while the North-Western, North and Eastern portions are very wide and are pretty much flat motorways.

17. A12

18. Wembley Stadium - I'd say my suggested location would be an accurate place to put it. Just north off the North Circular (#16).

19. Trellick Tower- This is another council estate tower block, but I'm suggesting it for a single reason. Click on the link. Yeahh, it's some strange architecture. Seeing as its a tower block, it's a haven for crime and gangsters.

20. Thamesmead Estate - This is another council estate, and probably the most infamous in East London. It's been in many films, and it's an ugly piece of work just off the river.

21. A4 - Where the M4 turns into a motorway, this is an important A road in West London. The area around is good housing. It is a flat road.

22. Westfield Shopping Centre - An awesome modern shopping mall which is the largest in Europe! Could be a good one to model, although it's hard to fit into the map.

I spent about an hour or two on this map, so hopefully it will be of help to you! If you have any questions about the details of these landmarks, feel free to ask me because I visit them every day.

Hope it helps!

tetragrammaton
  • tetragrammaton

Maximum Gnosis.

• Members

Posted 18 August 2011 - 12:02 AM

I would love to see this mod alive, would like to be a beta tester too sigh.gif

Luxus
  • Luxus

Machinima Director

• Members

Posted 20 August 2011 - 04:36 PM

Wow moto_whistle.gif This is looking good so far. But my question is, how will it look in-game. 'Cuz from what I see, there is not much done. I am expecting wide roads, and a lot of traffic on it. I've seen San Andreas map for IV, but there was only one problem. There were no pedestrians, the whole SA was empty. And thats why I didn't like that map, even d'oh they've put so much effect into it. So I don't want you to make the same mistake. colgate.gif There is a lot of work waiting for you, so I just wish you good luck.

rowland223
  • rowland223

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 27 August 2011 - 07:10 PM

This looks great happy to help in any way possible its like Getaway 3 !

PH5221
  • PH5221

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 27 August 2011 - 07:25 PM

QUOTE (zzcool @ Thursday, Feb 10 2011, 16:34)
this may sound rude but any actual progressi mean you had google sketch pictures on the newyork map and nothing happend with that one

just a picture to show that it may actually be ingame

I agree. I have never seen anything in the maps section, actually in-game and complete. It seems people dream a lot further than they can model tounge.gif

iwerez
  • iwerez

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 30 August 2011 - 04:29 PM

QUOTE (PH5221 @ Saturday, Aug 27 2011, 19:25)
QUOTE (zzcool @ Thursday, Feb 10 2011, 16:34)
this may sound rude but any actual progressi mean you had google sketch pictures on the newyork map and nothing happend with that one

just a picture to show that it may actually be ingame

I agree. I have never seen anything in the maps section, actually in-game and complete. It seems people dream a lot further than they can model tounge.gif

Its because everyone whose modding is spread out managing their own ideas. Rather then coming together and working on onme universal project. That and the support for tools etc is really slow and undeveloped.

fgcarva1
  • fgcarva1

Il Figlioccio

• Members

Posted 21 September 2011 - 09:08 PM

Well, the WTC worked out pretty well... and SPOP's old project (NYC) was working well... until it was deleted.

But I really hope to see more updates from this.

Tigernose
  • Tigernose

The Painta

• Members

Posted 22 October 2011 - 12:55 PM

Well this seems largely forgotten. Seems like SPOP abandoned it - again...

Gtaman_92
  • Gtaman_92

Causing mayhem in Los Santos

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 29 October 2011 - 10:47 PM

Good rindance to this sh*t.

feifelm1983
  • feifelm1983

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 31 October 2011 - 09:46 PM

Can you uplad your next picture not so extrem big please ? and all pictures not so extrem big uploading ??

Do not quote large posts. - Girish

Mikeol1987
  • Mikeol1987

Lord of the Thighs

• Zaibatsu
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 03 November 2011 - 05:19 PM

QUOTE (feifelm1983 @ Monday, Oct 31 2011, 21:46)
Can you uplad your next picture not so extrem big please ? and all pictures not so extrem big uploading ??

Get a 21st Century internet connection.

@Six Paths Of Pain -
This mod is looking good but you need to get a beta of the map working, even as it is, so we can believe this will go somewhere, seems like an overly ambitious project.

feifelm1983
  • feifelm1983

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 03 November 2011 - 05:51 PM

QUOTE (feifelm1983 @ Monday, Oct 31 2011, 21:46)
Can you uplad your next picture not so extrem big please ? and all pictures  not so extrem big uploading ??

Get a 21st Century internet connection.

My Internet connection is of the 21 century. But the large images stretch the page unnecessarily in the width. It is here you cannot embed smaller and then larger map allow?

_RHH_Rustyparker13
  • _RHH_Rustyparker13

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 07 November 2011 - 10:16 PM

Hey do you think you can make a video of it and put it on YouTube or something? I would like to see this. Most stuff you see on there are just a bunch of ramps which gets old
to look at. Its very cool btw.

ihomen
  • ihomen

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 08 November 2011 - 02:53 PM

QUOTE (Six Paths of Pain @ Friday, Jan 21 2011, 00:53)
Hey guys this is a so called "continuation" of my former attempted "Real NYC mod" now that I learned from my mistakes, i doing something a tad easier and on a smaller scale..... London

I estimate the map will be in between GTA IV and San Andreas size... not a massive 21 square mile map like last time.... Instead of just building as I go, I plan on laying the map out with you guys help, i.e. buildings included, locations, etc... so if there any people from the UK i'd love your help

Hi !
i woulg like to help you with that project. At the beginning we should take care about communication and coordination. Maybe divide the map of the number of graphic designers in the team. Use google maps and street view to get buildings and textures.
And one question, is there posibility to convert 3ds model -> gta4 format model? coz i know how to make a model using 3ds max.
Primary im a programmer wink.gif so after making a map i can also help with other things. wink.gif

Mikeol1987
  • Mikeol1987

Lord of the Thighs

• Zaibatsu
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 16 November 2011 - 01:28 AM

Please keep going with this mod, and also make a video of testing the map in-game please! smile.gif

Fishman92
  • Fishman92

Snitch

• Members

Posted 21 November 2011 - 08:41 PM

QUOTE (Gtaman_92 @ Saturday, Oct 29 2011, 22:47)

Holy Moley, calm down. Just cos a mod gets left unfinished doesn't give you the right to call it 'sh*t'. It's hardly uncommon for a mod to be left, get over it.

Jestic
  • Jestic

Chris

• Feroci
  • Netherlands

Posted 22 November 2011 - 02:38 PM

I can put it ingame, but you will need to texture it (and i'm not so sure about texturing in sketchup). Just send me textured model sometime, I can show you how it will look.

Gtaman_92
  • Gtaman_92

Causing mayhem in Los Santos

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 24 November 2011 - 12:01 AM

QUOTE (Fishman92 @ Monday, Nov 21 2011, 20:41)
QUOTE (Gtaman_92 @ Saturday, Oct 29 2011, 22:47)

Holy Moley, calm down. Just cos a mod gets left unfinished doesn't give you the right to call it 'sh*t'. It's hardly uncommon for a mod to be left, get over it.

It is sh*t if the creator abandoned it and dont have any guts to tell people he gave up.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users