Photo

GTA beta name?

1 reply to this topic
Mati
  • Mati

f*ck the planet till it spins on a broken axis

• BUSTED!

Posted 19 January 2011 - 05:54 PM

I heard GTA should get a different name on the start, does anyone know what the beta name is?

Lantyz
  • Lantyz

S · Q · R · L

• Members

Posted 19 January 2011 - 09:53 PM

GTA was gradually developed out of a racing game which had the working title "Race 'N' Chase".

QUOTE (nowgamer.com)
‘Race ‘N’ Chase’ is where the genesis of Grand Theft Auto can be found. Mike Dailly, who at the time was lead programmer at DMA, had been working on a code that would produce isometric cityscapes. Viewed from an aerial camera that the player could intuitively manipulate, and coined Rotation, this engine would become the first Grand Theft Auto prototype. However, fate would intervene when Bullfrog released Syndicate Wars, and after spotting its glum Orwellian Blade Runner-style skyscrapers, Mike knew that his engine looked just too similar and decided to rework it. [...] The original Race ‘N’ Chase design was the one that DMA pitched to BMG. And it wasn’t until after the publisher was on board that the name would later be changed to Grand Theft Auto.
(Source)

I also heard about "Cops and Robbers" being considered as a title before they settled on "Grand Theft Auto", but I can't seem to find a good source for that. On a related note, GTA2 was to be called "Grievous Bodily Harm", or "GBH". "GBH" can be found in several development documents and game files.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users