Photo

Retro Gaming: PS2, Xbox, Megadrive, SNES

212 replies to this topic
Chinatown Wars
  • Chinatown Wars

<3 Chris

• Members

Posted 29 September 2011 - 04:28 AM

QUOTE (danjodan @ Thursday, Sep 29 2011, 04:15)
QUOTE (Slamman @ Wednesday, Sep 28 2011, 11:00)
Sold my second 3DO system for 10 bucks, and gave away my 1977 Magnavox Odyssey II because it had to have a new home, and I'd no time left to move things here and there to store them

You sold a 3DO for ten bucks...............Do you realise how rare they are?

Rare doesn't necessarily mean valuable.

Slamman
  • Slamman

Smote

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 29 September 2011 - 01:28 PM

Depends, because it's in the eye's of the user, the collector, the software base, who owns what. This 3DO is second generation Panasonic without a controller, the hardware is top-loading tray, like the later PS2 slim

Icarus
  • Icarus

[C9] Orthonormal

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 29 September 2011 - 06:06 PM

Goldeneye for Nintendo 64 is easily my favourite retro game. For something that was so simple, it was a lot of fun since there were enough maps (albeit small) and there were so many different game modes that you could play (automatic weapons, lasers, slappers only if you felt like it, golden gun) it never really got boring. For some reason, my favourite gameplay was proximity mines in the Complex - never got tired of that.

My friend still owns a Nintendo 64 so whenever I go home, Lithium and I usually go to her place to play Goldeneye.

On the subject of N64, I also loved Super Mario 64 - 'twas a fun game.

Mr.Mister
  • Mr.Mister

Capt. Downtown

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 29 September 2011 - 08:20 PM

I played Twisted Metal 4 last night... oh my god brings back my childhood. I miss being a kid

Marwin Moody
  • Marwin Moody

u in da mood?

• Members
  • Norway

Posted 29 September 2011 - 08:56 PM

user posted image
/thread

Chinatown Wars
  • Chinatown Wars

<3 Chris

• Members

Posted 30 September 2011 - 12:07 AM

QUOTE (Icarus @ Thursday, Sep 29 2011, 18:06)
Goldeneye for Nintendo 64 is easily my favourite retro game. For something that was so simple, it was a lot of fun since there were enough maps (albeit small) and there were so many different game modes that you could play (automatic weapons, lasers, slappers only if you felt like it, golden gun) it never really got boring. For some reason, my favourite gameplay was proximity mines in the Complex - never got tired of that.

My friend still owns a Nintendo 64 so whenever I go home, Lithium and I usually go to her place to play Goldeneye.

On the subject of N64, I also loved Super Mario 64 - 'twas a fun game.

Still can believe that there was 64 playable online characters in Goldeneye. Hell, not even modern RPGs come that close with character selections. Plus all the secrets in it too.

Otter
  • Otter

sea dwelling madman

• Canada

Posted 30 September 2011 - 12:53 AM

I'm downloading Another World the 20th Century Edition. Can't wait - it was sooooo awesome on the Genesis.

Moth
  • Moth

Canis Canem Edit

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • Canada

Posted 30 September 2011 - 01:41 AM

QUOTE (jaysteels @ Thursday, Sep 29 2011, 16:56)
[IMG]http://www.gamershel...rge/uk/4595.jpg[IMG]
/thread

Bought this game for a fiver earlier this year. Did not really enjoy it, plus the cell-shaded graphics for some strange reason gave me a headache, no other game has done that too me before and since.

Oh and
user posted image
One of my favorite games. Plus I always preferred the Sony platformers over Mario or what ever Nintendo did.

Chinatown Wars
  • Chinatown Wars

<3 Chris

• Members

Posted 30 September 2011 - 02:21 AM

Loving the 3ds's virtual console
Recently bought these for a total of 25 dollars:
Super Mario land
Legend of Zelda:links awakening dx
Avenging spirit (amazing gem find)
3d classics: twin bee (local arcade used to have this)
Super Mario land 2: 6 golden coins
Game and watch gallery
All of which were for the gameboy besides Zelda, which was for the gameboy color.
And picked up Zelda: four swords anniversary edition for free (originally on gba)

Mister Pink
  • Mister Pink

Sax & Violins

• The Connection
  • None
  • Most Knowledgeable [Music] 2013
    Best Contributor [Music] 2012

Posted 15 October 2011 - 02:31 AM

I absolutely loved Mario: 6 Golden Coins as a kid. I had it for my Game Boy.

Chinatown Wars
  • Chinatown Wars

<3 Chris

• Members

Posted 15 October 2011 - 02:33 AM

My childhood
user posted image

KilnerLUFC
  • KilnerLUFC

M.O.T

• Members

Posted 29 November 2011 - 10:54 PM

QUOTE (The General @ Friday, Sep 30 2011, 01:41)
QUOTE (jaysteels @ Thursday, Sep 29 2011, 16:56)
[IMG]http://www.gamershel...rge/uk/4595.jpg[IMG]
/thread

Bought this game for a fiver earlier this year. Did not really enjoy it, plus the cell-shaded graphics for some strange reason gave me a headache, no other game has done that too me before and since.

Oh and
user posted image
One of my favorite games. Plus I always preferred the Sony platformers over Mario or what ever Nintendo did.

This is the series that nearly made me choose the PS3 over the 360. Only played the first of the series, but it hooked me instantly. Been needing a game like this to be released on the 360 for a while now.

vertical limit
  • vertical limit

When in doubt don't pull out.

• Members
  • None

Posted 30 November 2011 - 11:19 PM

My Childhood Games

I played every game. It is the first video game I played in my life as soon as I got the PS1.

Then there was like this God that revolves around you. As much as I recall.

I think he kept saying

HORBIGGA

Possibly.

TensaZangetsu
  • TensaZangetsu

Dark Esper

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 01 December 2011 - 12:05 AM

Living in the city
You know you have to survive
Living in the city
You've got to keep the dream alive
Living in the city
Where everything is free
Living in the city
Can't you see?

bluesboyjr
  • bluesboyjr

Founder of the Zee Memorial Foundation

• Members

Posted 01 December 2011 - 02:24 AM Edited by bluesboyjr, 01 December 2011 - 02:26 AM.

My family had a SNES when I was about six or something. We had Super Mario World, Super Mario All-Stars, LoZ A Link To The Past, some Nigel Mansell racing game and that Aerosmith game (I was looking for info about it a while ago; apparantly it was a god-awful game, but I had fun with it. I was six though, so whatever. I still get a little kick of nostalgia when I hear the opening to Rag Doll). I think that was it, plus a Super Game Boy (that allowed you to play the original Game Boy's games on the SNES). I can remember my dad being the only one out of me, him and my sister who got up to the fight with Ganon in Zelda. It's odd, because he hasn't touched video games since then. He is 50 though.

As for Game Boy and Game Boy Color games, we had a few, but the ones I can remember are Othello (a pretty simple game based on this board game), some Mickey Mouse game (there was a castle involved, it's probably one of these), Super R.C. Pro-Am, a few Pokemon games (I tried replaying Silver a while ago, but the game had corrupted so that it would delete the save when you turned it off. We had Red and Yellow too, and the Trading Card Game game and pinball game for the GBC), Simpsons Treehouse of Horror, some rally game with a Rumble-Pak, Quest For Camelot, and that's about it. I got Super Mario Land off of the internet a couple of years ago (some site called Swapit, like a kids' version eBay where you spend points not money, so everything's essentially free. I've got several CDs and some other tat off that site, and all I ever "sold" on it was a few Doctor Who trading cards and two outdated calendars), just to see what it was like.

My dad sold the SNES on eBay when we got a PS1 (part of me wants to buy one back off there sometime in the future). I'm not going to name every PS1 game we had, because we had a lot - we sold most of them at a car-boot sale last year. The one's I kept were GTa2 (my first GTA inlove.gif ), No Fear Downhill Mountain Biking or something, The Italian Job (not sure why I've kept it, the disc is scratched), Music 2000, Premiership Manager '99 (I spent so many hours on that game, and I don't even like football. I wanted to play it more, but, again, the disc is scratched), and I think there's another one but I can't remember which. One other game that pops to mind but I don't think we kept is Rugrats: Search For Reptar. That game was epic. It had an awesome last mission where you played as Reptar and destroyed some city - it's imprinted in the back of my mind, but I don't think I even got to play it, I must have watched my sister do it. There's also a sh*t-ton of demo discs from magazines in my parent's attic.

I'm not going to go over my PS2 games because a) they're too fresh in my memory for me to consider retro, and b) because I think we had over 100 of them. My little brother had a Game Boy Advance too, but I didn't get into any of the games. I did get GTA Advance off of eBay to complete my GTA collection, but it didn't have the charm of the other GTAs.

KilnerLUFC
  • KilnerLUFC

M.O.T

• Members

Posted 01 December 2011 - 01:49 PM

QUOTE (vertical limit @ Wednesday, Nov 30 2011, 23:19)
My Childhood Games

I played every game. It is the first video game I played in my life as soon as I got the PS1.

Then there was like this God that revolves around you. As much as I recall.

I think he kept saying

HORBIGGA

Possibly.

Aku Aku, you mean?

Think I also managed to play atleast every single game in the series once, but never fully completed any of the original ones. I did, however, complete the Mind Over Mutant & Crash of The Titans. Many didn't like the new direction in which the series headed, but I thought them two games were just perfect.

KilnerLUFC
  • KilnerLUFC

M.O.T

• Members

Posted 24 April 2012 - 10:14 AM

Bumpety-bump.

So, just recently, I've been discussing a lot of older gaming on this forum, and it's made me think about collecting all the old consoles/games again and playing through them all. Someone recently posted a picture on my FB, showing off about 10 old consoles he owns, and it made me rather jealous.

The only problem I have with this is, it seems that the only possible way of acquiring all these older consoles is to do it via online sites such as Amazon and Ebay. This tends to lead to the problem of over-pricing and whatnot, but I'm not prepared to do this.

So a question to you 'collecters'...how do you go about acquiring all your older games and consoles?

Mister Pink
  • Mister Pink

Sax & Violins

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 25 April 2012 - 12:06 PM

A couple of second hand gaming or retro gaming outlets opened in my city. Most of them are valued reasonably.

Also, gumtree is great or in the US, craigslist. There you'll find people wanting to get rid of 'junk' for cheap.

F4L?
  • F4L?

Well I'm sorry, Princess.

• Members
  • None

Posted 25 April 2012 - 12:26 PM

QUOTE (ThePinkFloydSound @ Wednesday, Apr 25 2012, 23:06)
A couple of second hand gaming or retro gaming outlets opened in my city. Most of them are valued reasonably.

Also, gumtree is great or in the US, craigslist. There you'll find people wanting to get rid of 'junk' for cheap.

Craiglist? Haha.

Seller - 'So you're here for used dildo's right?'
Butters - 'Wtf no! I came for used consoles'
Seller - 'Oh yeah sorry about that but i gotta lure people in somehow...so hows abouts some dildos?'

Voodoo
  • Voodoo

Cyclop have 9 years

• Unknown
  • Contribution Award [GTAF]

Posted 25 April 2012 - 12:26 PM

Not to sound like Slammy, but I've picked up a few retro consoles at pawn shops over the years for dirt cheap including a SNES and a SEGA Genesis. If you have any in your area, it's worth a look.

Mister Pink
  • Mister Pink

Sax & Violins

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 25 April 2012 - 12:45 PM

QUOTE (finn4life @ Wednesday, Apr 25 2012, 13:26)
Craiglist? Haha.

Seller - 'So you're here for used dildo's right?'
Butters - 'Wtf no! I came for used consoles'
Seller - 'Oh yeah sorry about that but i gotta lure people in somehow...so hows abouts some dildos?'

lol, wut?

I sold some PS2 games on gumtree and in turn I found out the guy had a used origianl Xbox for sale which is cool. Pity he didn't have dildos for me. cryani.gif

KilnerLUFC
  • KilnerLUFC

M.O.T

• Members

Posted 25 April 2012 - 08:48 PM

Where I used to just live, there was a 'retro' games store there, called Chips, and he had just about everything in terms of consoles. Just a shame the ex wasn't into her gaming as much, or I could have purchased quite a collection from that shop.

I don't mind buying online, but for obvious reasons, I'd rather purchase my items from a shop, or well known retailer, thus if any problems occur I know I can just take it back.

My sister had a N64 not so long ago for the kids, and when I came down to visit her, I just ended up sat in the kids bedroom playing through Goldeneye...could have stayed on it all day if I was allowed. It might just be for the sake of nostalgia, but I'm really after purchasing some of the older consoles again and gathering a collection.

Slamman
  • Slamman

Smote

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 26 April 2012 - 04:26 AM

Ever watch Storage Wars? They throw out these vintage finds like they were worth the same as dirt. IDIOTS! haha

Benjimino234
  • Benjimino234

♤ ♡ ♢ ♧

• Members

Posted 26 April 2012 - 11:31 AM

user posted image

Awesome, that was the sh*t to me. I was so sad when this broke too! I didn't fully press the CD in then it spun then cracked part of the disc, being a kid where we were a lower income family I was shattered. Then 6 years later I finally got my hands on a new one it was pretty awesome, sadly not all the music and SFX were working I don't know if it's the disc or the REALLY old original Ps1 but it was still a awesome moment for me.

Also this:

user posted image

Played the demo like crazy then I completely forgot about it then I saw this baby with my RC Revenge it was amazing to see these gems again.

Slamman
  • Slamman

Smote

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 26 April 2012 - 09:16 PM

I had the old adapter to put onto the 16bit Sega Master System, one or two games to use with it, namely OutRun. These days I find Mame satisfied the urge to play it much more like the original kit. I sold mine which had the original Double Decker Sega CD, that was the best one, front loading!!

Fuc-tuo
  • Fuc-tuo

we're bouncing now?

• Members
  • England

Posted 27 April 2012 - 04:49 PM

dug out my ps1 yesterday mainly because of the startup sound biggrin.gif

trip
  • trip

~

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 27 April 2012 - 10:00 PM

I owe my life to retro gaming. Actually, I owe my life to gaming. The games that got me started down my path were new and not yet retro tounge.gif

I figured I would toss up a few more retro gaming pics that aren't of my arcade cabinets.

These things were the sh*t in their day.
user posted image

I still have 2 Intellivisions and a near 100% complete library of games all in their original boxes with manuals and overlays.
user posted image

Slamman
  • Slamman

Smote

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 28 April 2012 - 10:39 PM Edited by Slamman, 28 April 2012 - 10:41 PM.

You're on my wavelength again Trip, that's quintessential ELECTRONIC GAMING!! Yeah!

http://spookyshobbys...HELDS_MAIN.html

trip
  • trip

~

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 30 April 2012 - 12:53 AM

QUOTE (Slamman @ Saturday, Apr 28 2012, 18:39)
You're on my wavelength again Trip, that's quintessential ELECTRONIC GAMING!! Yeah!

http://spookyshobbys...HELDS_MAIN.html

I hear ya. The cool thing about retro gaming is everyone will always have a genera to embrace it seems. I guess it just all boils down to good nostalgia like everything else.

Rescue on Fractalus. I can't even begin to say how much time I spent playing this game.
user posted image

Dr J and Larry Bird - 1 on 1. This might be the first game I anticipated based on the ads in the A+(Apple) magazine.
user posted image

Slamman
  • Slamman

Smote

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 01 May 2012 - 04:44 AM

Generation?
I have literal hours put into gaming of old, and it's sad that the kids here are too young to even grasp that, we've really come a long way, and it did take years, as it does now, between Rockstar's own releases! HA!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users