Retro Gaming: PS2, Xbox, Megadrive, SNES

212 replies to this topic
leik oh em jeez!
  • leik oh em jeez!

The boatman stays with the boat.

• Members

Posted 12 July 2011 - 10:13 PM

Playstation 2 = Retro?

Seems like just yesterday I was tearing up Smokey Mountain Raceway on GT3, and throwing bricks at swarms of monkeys on TS2.

Oh God, I am getting old.

danjodan
  • danjodan

Homie

• Members

Posted 12 July 2011 - 10:50 PM

Just bought Crash Bandicoot 2 on PSN, Loving it so far.

Slamman
  • Slamman

Smote

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 13 July 2011 - 05:41 AM

I got an original Xbox and another 360 under my belt, it did have RRoD but with my heatgun, it's been resurrected back to the living. Still not perfect operation though.
When I got the Xbox 1, they were hard to find, and the controller was missing so that was a hunt as well, but then all of a sudden a bunch more of those have shown up, Genesis, PS1, Nintendo Cube.... Where?! The local Goodwill, which funny enough, keeps pricing them differently, so it's first come first serve as always. I had two more PS2s, one with a HDD Net module in the back, and one without which I actually pawned for cash loan! hahaha

The controllers can score you a few bucks in a pawn loan and then you can just buy more used, it's amusing in a way. I bought Bully for PS2 and for Xbox; San Andreas

On PS2 recently, I replaced or bought new, (used) Scarface, Max Payne. It's hard to buy games used for Xbox 1 because I don't know what would keep my attention for something to have on hand. Sadly, the Next Gen gaming improvements have spoiled me, it's only the truth. Still, I started on Apple computers, moved to Sega Genesis and even played Master System so I could have OUTRUN to play over and over without quarters

*MURDOC*
  • *MURDOC*

Relevant jorts intensify.

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 13 July 2011 - 05:49 AM

Hi Slamman...

Outrun f*cking rules, I've got the Outrun, Outrunners, and Outrun 2019 soundtracks on my HDD.

My sig's retro too. tounge.gif

Mister Pink
  • Mister Pink

Sax & Violins

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 13 July 2011 - 01:21 PM

Retro gaming. Going back non current-gen platforms.

@Slamman: Love Scarface. Recently picked that up too. Love the whole empire building business and actually selling cocaine in a game is crazy. Chainsaw madness is fun and also betting on the cage-fights.

Outrun is sweet. Loved that game as a child. Also, love playing the new version in the arcades. Has anyone ever played Heart-Attack Mode in Outrun. It's so much fun!

Tommy.
  • Tommy.

Boss

• The Yardies
  • None

Posted 13 July 2011 - 08:07 PM

Oh man I was palying World Cup 98 on N64 yesterday. Brings back so many memories inlove.gif

KilnerLUFC
  • KilnerLUFC

M.O.T

• Members

Posted 14 July 2011 - 05:37 PM

QUOTE (Tommy. @ Wednesday, Jul 13 2011, 20:07)
Oh man I was palying World Cup 98 on N64 yesterday. Brings back so many memories inlove.gif

That has to be one of my most played footie games on the 64, closely followed by ISS64, mainly for the exploit of been able to score from the halfway line everytime.

Was in a retro games shop yesterday, and was so close to buying a 64 and a Dreamcast, but short money meant we wouldn't have been able to buy any games with the console, so would have been pointless.

F4L?
  • F4L?

Well I'm sorry, Princess.

• Members
  • None

Posted 15 July 2011 - 01:32 AM

Interesting one of my friends sold a game cartridge for $140 to a game store, i forget which game and platform now, but $140...geez, he said it was one of the rarest games around.

SonOfLiberty
  • SonOfLiberty

Tainted

• Antarctica

Posted 15 July 2011 - 02:00 AM

QUOTE (finn4life @ Thursday, Jan 13 2011, 20:20)
There is one of these stores in canberra, it in tuggeranong for any canberrans out there, although i think the shop keeper is a little lazy, there is still a poster onm the window saying "GTA IV coming soon"
Great store for any of the classics, man i f*ckin love sonic on the megadrive.

That's Canberra for you. A bit backwards those folk. tounge.gif

Anyway I'm not sure what defines being "retro" is, but I think the console should be at least 15 years old. PS2s/PS2 games are still being made today. PS2s/Xboxs are pretty out dated, but I wouldn't call them "retro" just yet.

Mister Pink
  • Mister Pink

Sax & Violins

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 15 July 2011 - 03:18 AM

Can't beat a bit of Sonic on Megadrive, alright.

I'm a little pissed off with people remarking on the Retro thing. I've used it in the broad sense of the word. Retro, retrospectively, Retrospect. Look those words up. You get the idea. PS2 is outdated. It wasn't designed for current T.V.s. People have been buying Xbox 360's for half a decade. Since PS3's and Xbox 360's came out the popularisation of HDTV's came out, Michael Jackson died, the U.S. got it's first black president, the world economy crashed etc (that's a joke)

Anyway, I don't see why I'm explaining this. How else should I have named the topic? Old Skool Gaming Topic? ("no, PS2 isn't that old skool....") or Relatively Old, Old & Slightly Outdated Computer Consoles and Games Topic.

So please, don't bother, next person that feels in the mood to point it out. A few people have already. It was obviously a big mistake. Apparently those consoles are the rage in places like Texas. biggrin.gif

Slamman
  • Slamman

Smote

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 15 July 2011 - 12:19 PM Edited by Slamman, 15 July 2011 - 12:23 PM.

I still have this 1970s Magnavox Odyssey and that's the oldest game system I have, it's the game that's a brush up of PONG in essence, not much more then that.

As for PS2, I've always been happy about it, and not very long ago, was reading that PS3 was intended to do for BD discs as PS2 did for DVD, so that was Sony's plan that was not openly publicized

I saw cabling from Monster that makes the PS2 High Def compliant but I mentioned it to Mike (PCguytech) and he was saying something else about it, of which I forget now)

Xboxless
  • Xboxless

Gangsta

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 16 July 2011 - 01:10 PM

Ahh man. My friend got an N64 and super smash bros. We did two 99 team stock games with level 5 bots, man now that is fun.

I kind of suck (cause I have never actually played super smash bros) but I am getting better. My first 99 I died before the bots were killed and my second I had like 34 lives left.
My friend had probably 70 still left, he is a hell of a lot better than me.

F4L?
  • F4L?

• Members
  • None

Posted 16 July 2011 - 01:27 PM

QUOTE (Miamivicecity @ Friday, Jul 15 2011, 13:00)
QUOTE (finn4life @ Thursday, Jan 13 2011, 20:20)
There is one of these stores in canberra, it in tuggeranong for any canberrans out there, although i think the shop keeper is a little lazy, there is still a poster onm the window saying "GTA IV coming soon"
Great store for any of the classics, man i f*ckin love sonic on the megadrive.

That's Canberra for you. A bit backwards those folk. tounge.gif

Anyway I'm not sure what defines being "retro" is, but I think the console should be at least 15 years old. PS2s/PS2 games are still being made today. PS2s/Xboxs are pretty out dated, but I wouldn't call them "retro" just yet.

Your right there, the whole adult population consists of:
- Snobs in public service
- Yuppi's
- Drug dealers with heaps of kids, pulling through thanks to the housing commission, with a bunch of holden vn's or vl's parked out front.

90% of the teens have stupid haircuts (mullets, ratstails, puffed up at the back, mohawks, or emo hair)
No offence, but it was the Lebanese kids that started all that crap.

The retro gaming shop likes to keep those old posters up, except the guy said to me he forgot that one was there *facepalm*, and he planned to replace it.
I might actually go there and get some posters, they have a massive range of them.

_Rob_
  • _Rob_

Game Dev, Graphics Artist

• Members
  • None

Posted 16 July 2011 - 01:47 PM

I am seriously considering buying an N64 again, I miss those good old days of Mario/Kart 64, Donkey Kong and Goldeneye. Yes I know you can emulate them on PC, but it's not the same you know?

KilnerLUFC
  • KilnerLUFC

M.O.T

• Members

Posted 16 July 2011 - 01:51 PM

QUOTE (bammargera @ Saturday, Jul 16 2011, 13:47)
I am seriously considering buying an N64 again, I miss those good old days of Mario/Kart 64, Donkey Kong and Goldeneye. Yes I know you can emulate them on PC, but it's not the same you know?

I tried getting alot of my favourite games for the N64 that way aswell, but it just didn't feel the same at all. My sister recently purchased an N64 for her kids, so I tend to play on that when I go round there. It's hard to get back into alot of the games, but I think that's down to me not been able to spend that much time on the games. I'm tempted to buy one myself, but worried that it just won't be the same experience anymore, and will just sit gathering dust. confused.gif

F4L?
  • F4L?

• Members
  • None

Posted 16 July 2011 - 01:54 PM

QUOTE (bammargera @ Sunday, Jul 17 2011, 00:47)

Definitely not the same, much much better playing properly on the proper console.
It feels so good to own collectables as well.
http://www.ebay.co.u...id=p3286.c0.m14

on ebay like 8 pounds.

I almost bought VCS for 6 bucks yesterday, brand new condition, for PS2, i didn't though because i was looking for VC, but i think i will get it anyway, 6 bucks is nothing, on ebay to ge tit brand new its like 30 bucks.

re-bought Rugby 05 for PS2 today as well, it was 8 bucks, but i wanted it asap so i paid an extra 5 for shipping (it was free for the standard)

Mainland Marauder
  • Mainland Marauder

Oldschooled

• Inactive Staff
  • None

Posted 17 July 2011 - 01:15 AM

After hitting a game shop that sells 8/16-bit games, I'm left wondering about the batteries in the cartridges they used for savegames back in the day. I'll totally shell out for the original NES Legend of Zelda but it's kind of a drag if you can't save. Wonder if they'd let me test?
They had Metroid too and thankfully it had that long annoying password thing. Wouldn't have said that 20-something years ago wow.gif

Slamman
  • Slamman

Smote

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 17 July 2011 - 09:10 AM Edited by Slamman, 17 July 2011 - 09:19 AM.

Well, I did try and cash in on the popularity of a certain GENESIS thread, and it makes me think of Phil Collins retiring again and am saddened. So, I am disappointed the thread was closed. I feel Genesis had lots of support and hence, a good run as far as consoles, When Sony debuted PS 1 after it, their run was just as good, and I went from one to the other. I did pick up a Genesis compact version console so I'll be revisiting it once my XB Gold expires.

As for save games, I remember for Genesis, as you MM, remind me. The game of which the name escapes (I can edit it later I 'spose) had you enter codes to resume progress. My friend borrowed the system back in the day, lent to him for a week and he wrote down all the codes presented that he had from playing it. It always made me wonder how you save various games that way! hahaha

Tommy.
  • Tommy.

Boss

• The Yardies
  • None

Posted 17 July 2011 - 09:50 AM

QUOTE (bammargera @ Saturday, Jul 16 2011, 14:47)

I recommend buying one. Get Super Mario 64, Mario Kart, Goldeneye etc.

I still play my N64 and I've had since 1996. I will never sell it.

_Rob_
  • _Rob_

Game Dev, Graphics Artist

• Members
  • None

Posted 17 July 2011 - 10:01 AM

Yeah, I think when I'm next payed it may be on the top of my list, certainly miss those old care-free days tounge.gif

MrcTOtheJ
  • MrcTOtheJ

Cleaning the Trash since '94

• Members
  • None

Posted 17 July 2011 - 10:11 AM

I fired up my old Super Nintendo today and played some Super Mario World, god that game is fun.

Also been thinking of getting a new Ps2 since my old one bit the dust, though I got rid of most of my games so I might not now. All I know is that me talking about TXR:3 in the underappreciated games topic got me wanting to play that game.

Benzoboy
  • Benzoboy

Like Ronnyboy, but better.

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 17 July 2011 - 10:33 AM

There's a guy in the local indoor market who has a small retro gaming place. It's pretty cool, got a few PS1 games off of him over the past few months. That said I'm still quite young at 16, so for me at least the PS2 is pretty retro, harks back to nearly 10 years ago when I was just 6/7 and I first got my PS2, was great. Also, the Dreamcast, I found my Dreamcast in my loft/attic recently and I was having quite a bit of fun killing some time on games like Metropolis Street Racer and F355 Challenge, it's a shame that my Dreamcast refuses to read half the discs I put in though.

Vanzant
  • Vanzant

EZ5

• United-States

Posted 17 July 2011 - 11:02 AM

QUOTE (Mainland Marauder @ Sunday, Jul 17 2011, 01:15)
After hitting a game shop that sells 8/16-bit games, I'm left wondering about the batteries in the cartridges they used for savegames back in the day. I'll totally shell out for the original NES Legend of Zelda but it's kind of a drag if you can't save. Wonder if they'd let me test?
They had Metroid too and thankfully it had that long annoying password thing. Wouldn't have said that 20-something years ago wow.gif

Dude, I have 8 Copies of Legend of Zelda for NES. All batteries work. Same for the 4 copies of Zelda 2. Then Final Fantasy. I have never had to replace a battery in a NES cart. As long as these are kept at a decent room temp they may last another 20+ years.

Mainland Marauder
  • Mainland Marauder

Oldschooled

• Inactive Staff
  • None

Posted 17 July 2011 - 04:42 PM

QUOTE (Vanzant @ Sunday, Jul 17 2011, 06:02)
QUOTE (Mainland Marauder @ Sunday, Jul 17 2011, 01:15)
They had Metroid too and thankfully it had that long annoying password thing. Wouldn't have said that 20-something years ago  wow.gif

Dude, I have 8 Copies of Legend of Zelda for NES. All batteries work. Same for the 4 copies of Zelda 2. Then Final Fantasy. I have never had to replace a battery in a NES cart. As long as these are kept at a decent room temp they may last another 20+ years.

That's cool. I just wasn't sure because none of the NES games I own right now have batteries and I probably haven't attempted to even play one that had one since about 1997 or so when I sold my old NES collection mercie_blink.gif f*cking stupid things I did back then. Thanks Vanzant.

So yeah, this store had Zelda AND Tecmo Super Bowl. colgate.gif

Xboxless
  • Xboxless

Gangsta

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 17 July 2011 - 04:44 PM

When my friend bought super smash bros they tested it for him to see it the save worked. They also said if the hidden characters ever disappeared that meant the battery was not working and they would look at it.

This is a different store, and it seems it's the stores policy to check it, but I don't doubt they wouldn't mind checking it for you.

Slamman
  • Slamman

Smote

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 20 July 2011 - 12:12 AM

Is the compact, downsized Genesis really a better console, if you were buying, would you go for the original, or no?

F4L?
  • F4L?

• Members
  • None

Posted 20 July 2011 - 01:06 AM

I have found the attraction to retro gaming, for myself and some of my friends is that the older games you played back when you were a kid, somehow timewarp you back when you play them.

So when i play GTA III a lot of the time i forget how old i am now, and turn back into that 10 year old kid.
When i play pokemon i become the 9 year old kid.

It really is an amazing experience, a great way to revisit your childhood.

Xboxless
  • Xboxless

Gangsta

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 20 July 2011 - 01:22 AM Edited by Xboxless, 20 July 2011 - 01:27 AM.

I never played super smash bros as a kid, heck, my first console was an xbox. So I don't get any nostalgia out of playing super smash bros but it's still a hecka fun game.

What I get out of it is seeing how far we have come in just 10 years. Knowing GTA3 came out in like 2001 kind of blows my mind, because it wasn't that far back.
Watching my friend play Ocarina of Time also blows my mind, because some of the things in that game aren't even seen in some of today's games, that open range is just astounding. Red Dead Redemption is it's modern counterpart as far as horse riding goes, especially since they have similar riding mechanics.

Anyways, to sum it up, I didn't play any retro games, but I still enjoy them.

Mainland Marauder
  • Mainland Marauder

Oldschooled

• Inactive Staff
  • None

Posted 20 July 2011 - 01:30 AM

QUOTE (Slamman @ Tuesday, Jul 19 2011, 19:12)
Is the compact, downsized Genesis really a better console, if you were buying, would you go for the original, or no?

Do you mean the smaller version of the actual Sega Genesis console that began being sold ca. 1993?

I never noticed any difference in the way it performed from the original.

If it is one of the clones you see in game stores now, it's possible that some games will not work with it, and there may be some graphics or sound glitches. This is mostly based on my experience with my "FC Twin" that plays NES and SNES games. Same company makes a Genesis clone too.

LittleBlueTroll
  • LittleBlueTroll

★★★★

• Leone Family Mafia
  • England

Posted 20 July 2011 - 09:44 AM

I bought a PS2 today for 20, its one of them slim ones though which i think look sh*t, but it will do the job!

My favourite PS2 will always be the original shape but satin silver, shame mine broke cryani.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users