Photo

Retro Gaming: PS2, Xbox, Megadrive, SNES

302 replies to this topic
Night Machine
  • Night Machine

1980's Time Traveler

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 02 February 2017 - 11:56 AM Edited by Night Machine, 02 February 2017 - 11:58 AM.

Anyone remember playing Outrun in the arcade? I used to love Heart Attack mode. 

Used to get a local high score (playing on easy as shown in the video I found on Youtube in the link. The Korean/Chinese/Japanese guys would always kick my ass though. It was great drifting with the pedals. Anyone remember this or is there still somewhere they know where they can play it?  The game in the video was captured on 360. It was download Only. Wouldn't mind playing it again. 

Outrun's Heart Attack mode back in 2004 looked like this below.. 

outrun2.jpg

The racing games in the arcades were always a blast to play!  The steering wheels, racing seats, gear shifters, the in your face screen and some of them being full motion (deluxe) made them a total blast.  The motorcycle ones like Hang On were so cool how you sat on a motorcycle and could lean into the turns, it was great.  I was an arcade gamer all through the '80s and into the '90s, those were great times.   :cool:

Some of my favorite arcade racers. 

Super Hang On

2590906-super_hang-on_cabinet_mini_ride_

Original Hang On

DSCF3144.jpg

Original deluxe Out Run

800px-Outrun-sit-down-cabinet.jpg

And the full motion deluxe Cruis'n USA in manual mode

CruisinUSARedCarSimulator.JPG?1462464799

• Mister Pink, trip and DimitriFaustin like this

Mister Pink
  • Mister Pink

Pink.Inc

• The Connection
  • None
  • Best Poster [Music] 2016
    Best Poster [Music] 2015
    Best Poster [Music] 2014
    Most Knowledgeable [Music] 2013
    Best Contributor [Music] 2012

Posted 03 February 2017 - 12:41 PM

Nice^

I remember Super Hang-on that game was hard. Especially some bends felt so tight that leaning from one side to the other on the bike was just so hard to be so quick. 

The old Outrun looks bad :p It mean it looks more geared towards 5-7yo's. .. Well, maybe it is :p

toxluv
  • toxluv

男の子は泣かない

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • Italy

Posted 07 March 2017 - 12:02 PM

Oh my God, I just found the first PlayStation I had as a kid:

DSCF0206.jpg

It was identical, minus the PlayStation Power logo on it. This brings back so many indelible memories.
  • Mister Pink, Fireman, trip and 2 others like this

trip
  • trip

~

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States
  • Contribution Award [GTAF]
    Contribution Award [Gen Chat]
    Contribution Award [GTAF Census]
    Doggo-Chop Winner 2016

Posted 12 April 2017 - 11:17 PM

Posted this elsewhere...can't help myself...must share here too.

Finished my case mod.
  • Daz and Night Machine like this

gtamann123
  • gtamann123

Bang Bang, Skeet Skeet

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 13 April 2017 - 12:52 AM Edited by gtamann123, 14 April 2017 - 12:46 AM.

Picked up an Xbox 360 including a 250gb hard drive in a second hand shop for $40. Pretty good deal I feel.
  • Night Machine likes this

MiamiViceCity
  • MiamiViceCity

Camp Crystal Lake

• Australia
  • Most Obsessive Name Changer 2016 (My unofficial GTAF annual award)
    Biggest Fanboy 2013, 2014, 2015
    Best Poster [GTA] 2014
    Best Member in the OGA 2012

Posted 13 April 2017 - 02:30 AM

Just downloaded DOOM classic off the store on XB1 and I'm pretty sure the last time I played it was the late 90s. So cool to play such an iconic game again after all those years. I only played a few levels, but it's interesting after playing the new one.

I was instantly reminded how vague these older games were in terms of objectives. I ran around like a chicken without its head lol for a while in the first room trying to figure out what to do next. I miss this in a lot of newer games.

No hand holding back then.

• Daz, Mister Pink, toxluv and 1 other like this

KilnerLUFC
  • KilnerLUFC

The idiots are taking over

• Members
  • Somalia

Posted 22 April 2017 - 01:45 PM

Just downloaded DOOM classic off the store on XB1 and I'm pretty sure the last time I played it was the late 90s. So cool to play such an iconic game again after all those years. I only played a few levels, but it's interesting after playing the new one.

Was gutted that I was skint when this went up for Sale on the 360...Hate to admit it but I've never actually played this game in my life, at all...

• MiamiViceCity likes this

Vanzant
  • Vanzant

おっぱい 23V

• United-States

Posted 22 April 2017 - 03:45 PM

I still have the DOOM classic trilogy for the PC that came out in 2005-2006 somewhere. Last time I installed to windows 7 back in 2010 I couldn't figure out how to get controller support. I might look into the steam copy.

• Mister Pink and trip like this

MiamiViceCity
  • MiamiViceCity

Camp Crystal Lake

• Australia
  • Most Obsessive Name Changer 2016 (My unofficial GTAF annual award)
    Biggest Fanboy 2013, 2014, 2015
    Best Poster [GTA] 2014
    Best Member in the OGA 2012

Posted 03 May 2017 - 01:03 PM

The Megaman: Legacy Collection is on the Xbox store for $9.10 and features the first 6 games. I have to admit though I've never played a Megaman game in my life until I just bought it. :blush:

Play a bit of the first two games. This video was shown in my games design class a few weeks back..

..and that's where I got the idea.

trip
  • trip

~

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States
    Doggo-Chop Winner 2016

Posted 03 May 2017 - 07:28 PM

I still have the DOOM classic trilogy for the PC that came out in 2005-2006 somewhere. Last time I installed to windows 7 back in 2010 I couldn't figure out how to get controller support. I might look into the steam copy.

TsiPnAF.jpg

Surprise surprise. I seem to have all the original classics still in my closets.
  • Vanzant, MiamiViceCity and Street Mix like this

Mister Pink
  • Mister Pink

Pink.Inc

• The Connection
  • None
    Best Poster [Music] 2015
    Best Poster [Music] 2014

Posted 12 May 2017 - 08:10 PM Edited by Mister Pink, 12 May 2017 - 08:20 PM.

Look what I found yesterday.. Outrun and notice the screen says 1986! Crazy. They also had Superman from 1994! I was absolutely crap at Outrun. Didn't even make it to the the next zone. It was in this seaside town I used to go to as a kid. It's been owned by the same old couple for years. Most of the arcade has been closed and it looks like they're really struggling. 

34487729681_706d326862_c.jpg

33808265463_65180c0558_c.jpg

33808441343_92bd41cb6e_c.jpg

• trip, MiamiViceCity, KilnerLUFC and 1 other like this

Mach1bud
  • Mach1bud

Gearhead

• GTA Series Staff
  • United-States
  • Best GTA Photographer 2016
    Coolest Member 2016
    Best Character [Snap] 2016
    Mister Los Santos 2016 Winner
    [Snapmatic Awards 2015] Best Male Character

Posted 13 May 2017 - 12:57 AM

When people come in my house they think it's cool that I have a NES hooked up to the flatscreen right next to the PS4. Some of the games that I have been lugging around with me for 23+ years now.

MXOe4Be.jpg

• Mister Pink, trip, MiamiViceCity and 2 others like this

Vanzant
  • Vanzant

おっぱい 23V

• United-States

Posted 13 May 2017 - 05:08 AM

Oldest PC game I have.

18424253_10158596189530403_3453003575333

Never played it much as the set up time it takes to get it going I'm no longer interested.

• Mister Pink and trip like this

Fireman
  • Fireman

Cunning Stunter

• Members

Posted 13 May 2017 - 12:51 PM

I recently bought that as big box version myself, but I also never played it, still don't know wether I'm going too or not.

Daz
  • Daz

Pirandello/Kruger

• Cyclop 9
  • None
  • Best Poster [Gaming] 2016
    Best Poster [Gaming] 2015
    Best Poster [Gaming] 2014

Posted 14 May 2017 - 09:03 PM Edited by Daz, 14 May 2017 - 09:09 PM.

I was instantly reminded how vague these older games were in terms of objectives. I ran around like a chicken without its head lol for a while in the first room trying to figure out what to do next. I miss this in a lot of newer games.

No hand holding back then.

I am pretty sure that version as well as Doom 2, had xbl online co-op capability. I think that really is an avenue of gaming I could exclusively dive in to. I have been playing a lot of Streets of Rage collection on the xbl back compat, as well as some revenge of shinobi and golden axe collections. I wish they would release more of these. I loved the Sega Megadrive collection the 360 had, never went back compat.

People bitch all the time about HD remasters of old games, complaining that there aren't any new games. Well guess what, they all f*cking suck anus. It is very rare to get a new game these days that isn't in some way trying to squeeze money out of you. Especially with many open world ubisoft titles. It all ends up being the same game with no real core gameplay and just designed around collection and completion. And it gets boring as f*ck. f*ckers charging £50 for sh*t like that when I can find an early access game on steam for £20 and have it be my game of the year, and play it for hundreds of hours having actual fun from gameplay, and not fun from the reward of unlocking things.

My main point is that I will ALWAYS want to rebuy an enhanced version of an old game that I loved. Many people don't seem to get it. But I am all about convenience. I don't want to have to pull out an old games console and suffer all it's annoying quirks and sh*tty controllers and be shut off from my friends lists and options just to play a game I want to. In my ideal world I want an endlessly adaptable and upgradable console that has infinite backwards compatibility. I know I can use a PC but there is something satisfying about dedicated machines for things. I am a person that hates having to use a smartphone to control things instead of a dedicated f*cking remote.

So what I am getting at is that I could easily just give up caring about any new games completely. (I already have pretty much). But when a re-release comes out, I know I love the game already so it is an instant buy.

We really need to take care of some of these old titles. Games that were not on PC and were locked to a console that were never re-released will just die off and cease to exist. There really should be some form of law stating if you aren't currently selling a re-released version of a game that is 20+ years old, it can be distributed free or recreated by anyone for free distribution. We need to keep a world library of games to stop them falling into oblivion. I can't even explain how bad I would love to replay old games I once had but have no way of doing so. Even with roms and emulators, often it is difficult to get one that functions right on emulators such as PSX and PS2. I wish this was more of a serious part of modern gaming, of treating old games as historical artifacts and allowing people to still play them. The issue is there is no money in it, and it would have to be some non profit organization that could do it. It just is a shame these properties are locked out of peoples hands.

I would love to have HD remasters of all my old games with added features such as online play (if it was multiplayer) and controller remapping and reworking to allow us to take advantage of modern controllers.

Out of everything I have on my hard drives. The things I feel that are most valuable are Snes and Genesis era roms. So small in size and no matter how far in the future we are, those games will ALWAYS be fun and enjoyable. They hit a peak in gaming for that type of game design. They were games that were perfect because they didn't need to worry about insane graphical effects. You had to make something that was fun, as it showed if it wasn't. I wish games were like these days. Get an acceptable limit of tech a console can give out and lock it for a decade and force people to work with the same thing for years, so we can get some really decent content.

Anyway, I am going to get a retro pi going so I think that is about all I give a sh*t about these days. That and playing PUBG. f*ck everything else. It blows.

/rant

• Mister Pink, MiamiViceCity and KilnerLUFC like this

KilnerLUFC
  • KilnerLUFC

• Members
  • Somalia

Posted 15 May 2017 - 04:27 PM

Pushing legalities and other issues aside, I actually believe it won't be too long before we get some type of 'console' that will actually be able to play all console games, no matter the format, from past generations. Hell, we already have the likes of Retron5 and the Blaze Tab, and just recently Nintendo jumped on board this bandwagon with the release, albeit short-lived, of the NES Classic. Apart from the 'I'm lazy so want access to every game ever made all in one place without having to move or change a disc', why does such a thing even need to exist beside what we actually have readily available already? For starters, the vast majority of us have a decent enough PC capable of playing ROM's, and even if not, there's consoles already on the market that cost peanuts and can be modded to allow use of emulators...I went out and recently bought a Wii just for the sake of Letterbombing it and having a sh*t ton of old games playable.

The fact you mention about having friends lists and online co-op totally abolishes the nostalgia for me. Playing Mario Kart 8 online just doesn't have the same affect as what having 4/5/6 friends all huddled around a TV in a Battle Tournament on MK64...Hell, call me old fashioned but even the likes of Battlefield and CoD just don't have the same what-have-you as the days of having a group of you battling it out on Goldeneye. On the flip side though, the one thing I do like of online MP is having leaderboards and grinding away to beat all your friends scores/times etc, so I do agree with you on that point I suppose.

Putting all that aside, on the whole, I agree with your whole subject matter, and have posted multiple topics on this forum alone about how my interest in modern gaming has declined majorly, and how it has very little to do with me getting old, and more just the gaming industry as a whole. I remember been really hyped about the 360 before it was released, and due to been in a bad situation I wasn't able to pick one up for a few years, but I was glad for this because it let me sit back and see how the console was fairing and how the games reviewed...and when I finally had the money to spare I ran out and bought one with a sh*t ton of games and loved it...fast forward a fair few years to the One/PS4 and I literally had very little interest whatsoever in either of the 2 consoles, and even to this day I couldn't care less, only wanting one when they reach a cheap price just to pick the odd game up that has peaked interest, and even these don't happen to be any major AAA title...Simply put, the majority of these AAA titles suck IMO, and have become so majorly generic and repetitive that I find them pointless.

Funnily enough, the games that are peaking my interest so far are HD remasters and the like, like the Crash Bandicoot HD Trilogy and the Rare Replay collection. As you said though, the money to be made from these is very little, as it only applies to a very select audience, of which will get smaller as the years go on for obvious reasons. The youth of today won't find the fun in something so simplistic as the games of generations gone by.

The amount of money I've spent recently on 'retro gaming' could have easily bought me a PS4/One and plenty of titles, but I just couldn't care less. I have my consoles split up into 2 rooms in my house; Switch, PS3, 360 downstairs - PS2, Gamecube, Wii, N64 upstairs in a spare room...and guess what, I spend more time in my spare room playing all my older titles, even though my 360 collection is the biggest by far. I get more pleasure from the older games than I do newer ones, for so many reasons - One been the fact that technology was (in a way) limited back then that games had to be enjoyable, and with no DLC and sh*t like that, they had to be REALLY good to make profit, and that's why older titles rate higher than newer, modern titles IMO. The last few new titles that I bought for my 360 were major letdowns for me, and dissapointed me to the extent of declining my interest in modern games. GTAV was one of the recent, newer, titles and look at what a flop that was, only going to prove how the Cash Cow of Online Gaming is the priority these days; Hell, CoD was been released for the 360/PS3 as a MP game only, that in a few years will be totally non-playable and only worth binning...All for the same price as other games on the market. Games are been released as part-titles and the other content has to be purchased afterwards. Games are bug-ridden messes because they have to be rushed out due to the market.

To add another point to your post Daz, it may mean little to you (genuinely no idea, this isn't an insinuation), but nothing beats having shelves full of old titles in their cases, the artwork on each of these cases with the descriptions on the back, only to open each case and have a game manual to read through too. Digital titles will never, ever come close to this, no matter how little price is for the content you get.

I had a point when I started this post but I think I've just rambled incoherent sentences...Main point is, yes, Retro gaming beats modern gaming by a landslide, but any attempt to recreate the experience by other means doesn't come close to having the real thing.

• Daz, Mister Pink, MiamiViceCity and 1 other like this

Coleco
  • Coleco

Shut up and dance you FOOLS

• Members
  • Wales

Posted 15 May 2017 - 04:47 PM

Look what I found yesterday.. Outrun and notice the screen says 1986!  It was in this seaside town I used to go to as a kid. It's been owned by the same old couple for years. Most of the arcade has been closed and it looks like they're really struggling. 

Aw that's a shame... still great to see those old cabinets in the 21st century!

Honestly, i'd consider buying the Outrun machine off them if I was anywhere near them... I've always wanted one. It blew my mind back in the day :D

• Mister Pink likes this

Mister Pink
  • Mister Pink

Pink.Inc

• The Connection
  • None
    Best Poster [Music] 2015
    Best Poster [Music] 2014

Posted 15 May 2017 - 05:30 PM

It's actually been suggest by another member that I try buy them. Unfortunately, I can't splash out on any luxuries of fun stuff right now but I really got me thinking and when I'm in a better position, I'm going to see if I can buy them. :)

• Coleco likes this

Coleco
  • Coleco

Shut up and dance you FOOLS

• Members
  • Wales

Posted 15 May 2017 - 05:57 PM

I know that feeling only too well.

Here's hoping you do manage it some day though - I know old games aren't necessarily a sound financial investment (in my experience buying hardware is more like a money sink) but they're always high on nostalgia value... it makes me feel happy knowing somewhere out there there are still original Out Run cabinets that work in 2017 :D

• Mister Pink likes this

trip
  • trip

~

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States
    Doggo-Chop Winner 2016

Posted 15 May 2017 - 06:58 PM Edited by trip, 15 May 2017 - 08:04 PM.

I'm going to add an Outrun cabinet to my collection just to be a dick. ;)

E:
For now herE it is running g on my kitchen Zookeeper box.
0Q2H9VO.jpg
  • Daz, Mister Pink, KilnerLUFC and 1 other like this

Evil empire
  • Evil empire

Homeboy

• Members
  • France

Posted 17 May 2017 - 04:59 PM Edited by Evil-Empire, 17 May 2017 - 05:00 PM.

I essentially play the 3 Streets of Rage when I retrogame.

I never tried any Outrun on arcade but Outrun2019 rocks on the PC. Everytime I keep rolling at top speed for some minutes it's a true delight.

• Mister Pink likes this

Daz
  • Daz

Pirandello/Kruger

• Cyclop 9
  • None

Posted 18 May 2017 - 06:04 PM

To add another point to your post Daz, it may mean little to you (genuinely no idea, this isn't an insinuation), but nothing beats having shelves full of old titles in their cases, the artwork on each of these cases with the descriptions on the back, only to open each case and have a game manual to read through too. Digital titles will never, ever come close to this, no matter how little price is for the content you get.

I get why people like it. But it's not for me. Its just my own personality trait. Even though I feel that (for example of the NES Classic) I loved the idea of a standalone device to do its one job and that's it. Nothing else to go wrong, no stupid logging in to accounts, updating software, just plug and play and it will be the same until the end of time. On the other hand, I love the idea of having every single thing I own digitally on one tiny hard drive so I can essentially walk out my house with my storage device/tiny gaming device and let my house just get bulldozed and I don't have to worry. I like feeling like I can just cheese it at any moment in my life and I can take my electronic life with me. Not that I ever do of course.

It is funny you mentioned being excited for the 360. I remember when it came out, even when the Xbox 1 (First one) came out. I couldn't care less. I got kind of convinced into buying the 360 for GRAW to play with one of my friends, and decided to spend my money after a sh*t birthday and buy one. The main thing I remember was that after that day, I was far more excited about playing Max Payne 2 (which I just had got the week before) than caring about this entire new console. I felt the same when the xbone came out. Granted both were sound decisions and good investments in the long run. But still I never gave a sh*t as much as when I finally got a PS2 after waiting for so long so I could play GTA3.

In the end it is those simple things that get you excited to play games, and all that has been sucked dry from modern gaming (minus a few). For me now it is all about going back to that excitement in the moment, actually knowing you are enjoying yourself while playing. Knowing you aren't doing it for unlocks, achievements or future rewards, just the sheer fun of playing, like games were originally about.

Modern games also really lack good soundtracks. I guess back in the day it wasn't possible to have voice audio and other audio cues that could help gameplay, so it effectively was just some insanely bad ass beat in the background. I do miss that though, as I believe that can be half of the game and half of the fun. It is a major part of the atmosphere and the feel of it. Which contributes to the overall experience that I often never see in games these days.

• Mister Pink and KilnerLUFC like this

OkieFromMuskogee
  • OkieFromMuskogee

No Title

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 18 May 2017 - 10:16 PM

My silver, used PS2 I bought from Gamestop 4 1/2 years ago still works, luckily. I've beaten Ratchet and Clank 1, 2, and 4 on it, GTA 3 (also have it for the original xbox), and GTA SA

• Mister Pink and KilnerLUFC like this

KilnerLUFC
  • KilnerLUFC

• Members
  • Somalia

Posted 02 June 2017 - 03:04 PM

I get why people like it. But it's not for me. Its just my own personality trait. Even though I feel that (for example of the NES Classic) I loved the idea of a standalone device to do its one job and that's it. Nothing else to go wrong, no stupid logging in to accounts, updating software, just plug and play and it will be the same until the end of time. On the other hand, I love the idea of having every single thing I own digitally on one tiny hard drive so I can essentially walk out my house with my storage device/tiny gaming device and let my house just get bulldozed and I don't have to worry. I like feeling like I can just cheese it at any moment in my life and I can take my electronic life with me. Not that I ever do of course.

It is funny you mentioned being excited for the 360. I remember when it came out, even when the Xbox 1 (First one) came out. I couldn't care less. I got kind of convinced into buying the 360 for GRAW to play with one of my friends, and decided to spend my money after a sh*t birthday and buy one. The main thing I remember was that after that day, I was far more excited about playing Max Payne 2 (which I just had got the week before) than caring about this entire new console. I felt the same when the xbone came out. Granted both were sound decisions and good investments in the long run. But still I never gave a sh*t as much as when I finally got a PS2 after waiting for so long so I could play GTA3.

In the end it is those simple things that get you excited to play games, and all that has been sucked dry from modern gaming (minus a few). For me now it is all about going back to that excitement in the moment, actually knowing you are enjoying yourself while playing. Knowing you aren't doing it for unlocks, achievements or future rewards, just the sheer fun of playing, like games were originally about.

Modern games also really lack good soundtracks. I guess back in the day it wasn't possible to have voice audio and other audio cues that could help gameplay, so it effectively was just some insanely bad ass beat in the background. I do miss that though, as I believe that can be half of the game and half of the fun. It is a major part of the atmosphere and the feel of it. Which contributes to the overall experience that I often never see in games these days.

Oh, trust me, after recently moving home, it did hit me how much of a hassle it is having to pack up and cart around a biggish sized gaming collection; 5/6 boxes full hit me how much I'd spent on acquiring my retro collection, compared to just packing up my 360 and knowing that I have around 150 games stored digitally on it. So yeah, in an ideal world I'd love to have some form of device that can digitally back up and play almost every game on every system ever known, without the need for emulators as these are prone to bugs and aren't able to play every game (Conkers Bad Fur Day been one of my major disappointments...)...For the time been though, I'm lucky enough to have been given a room in my new house completely dedicated for a man cave, and having all my systems and games in there is suffice enough for me. As I said, part of the nostalgia/immersion comes from doing it all the original way.

Was watching a video yesterday on upcoming games for 2017/2018, and out of the 20 or so titles in the video, I think I had genuine interest in around 4/5 of the mentioned titles. There seems to be too high an abundance of saturation happening in modern gaming; Let's try and make a game as realistic as possible and just f*ck the subject matter of enjoyment and fun. For example, since this is a GTA forum, let's use GTA to make a point - GTA3, and you were able to jack a tank, going on endless rampages against waves of police forces, but fast forward to GTAV and even just getting in to where the tanks were was a tedious task that resulted in many deaths, mainly due to how difficult the police had become. Might seem like a stupid point to be making, but when it comes to enjoyment and even replay-ability value, I know which one wins for me. f*ck me, I'd rather be doing countless 'Rampages' than collecting f*cking submarine parts. Rockstar was one of the last few companies I trusted to not become a greedy company, but the whole of GTAV and GTA Online was one of the last straws for that game - the fact that a GTA title saw an import/export (you know, the task of jacking cars...in a GTA title) become a DLC part of the online was a piss-take, a staple of the franchise that was suddenly only available to certain players and became yet another way of forcing people to buy the shark cards to progress quickly. Companies knew that back in the day, power was very limited, so graphics was an after-thought, and the main purpose of games was to create an amazing campaign with a whole ton of enjoyment thrown in, hence why for me, retro gaming will always come out on top.

If it's not yet another title in a major series (Assassins Creed, CoD, Fifa...), or a game about surviving hordes of zombies, or a game trying too hard to be realistic that you know will be nothing like the demos they show and becomes a quick flop, or hell, even a remaster/HD remake, then you're left with a very small minority of upcoming titles that really appeal to me.

Hell, even scrolling through YT shows how the trend in games has changed, in a bad way, when the majority of videos have become about graphical comparisons between titles..."This game wins hands down because that blade of grass looks better in this title than that one..."

It's not even a matter of pure nostalgia for me anymore, it's knowing that I can load up an old title and know I'm going to have a sh*t-ton of fun.

• Daz and Mister Pink like this

Vaulttec
  • Vaulttec

Vault Dweller

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 03 June 2017 - 05:55 PM Edited by Vaulttec, 04 June 2017 - 03:37 AM.

When people come in my house they think it's cool that I have a NES hooked up to the flatscreen right next to the PS4. Some of the games that I have been lugging around with me for 23+ years now.

MXOe4Be.jpg

some really good games there Mach. As a retro video game store owner it's amazing when people ask how do these's old systems hold up. I tell them there built to stand abuse and punishment.

On topic I recently picked up around 20+ PS2 games for free I will post a photo later
  • KilnerLUFC and Mach1bud like this

Daz
  • Daz

Pirandello/Kruger

• Cyclop 9
  • None

Posted 4 weeks ago Edited by Daz, 4 weeks ago.

Played through Streets of Rage 1 with MmMs last night, it was f*cking incredible. Aside from playing with family members and the occasional friend with the original console, I have only ever played it 2 separate times with friends online. So this was such a luxury to play pretty much my favorite game of that era for such an extended period of time. I only intended on playing a level or two but couldn't resist, once you get sucked in you end up completing the whole game.

Managed to pull off some insanely flukey pot luck kill on the blaze clone bitches at the end of level 8 with a co-op flying shoulder. If you have played the game enough you will know that those bitches are super f*cking hard to hit, let alone kill. And the co-op moves are difficult to pull off and actually hit people let alone hit a boss, and while they were in the air AND being the killing blow. It was truly amazing that I giffed it so it can live on forever.

Linky dinks:

hrFzZWD.gif

Original vid:

http://xboxclips.com...be-778c0e805b2f

I wish more games were like this, much more of a stress to get a good gameplay mechanic and hook to your game rather than worrying about how the graphics push the boundaries of the system. Games made to be games not experiences and not collectible hunts. I wish there were more games like this being made. Not even in 3d, just the same basic sh*t but just so much content such as a f*ckload of characters with customizable move sets and outfits etc like wrestling games have/had.

I love Mother Russia Bleeds that came out recently, but like many indy games it lacks online co-op, which is such a shame. We need more retro collections that have online connectivity. I would primarily play those types of games as I know I can trust them for an amazing time as opposed to waiting for useless sh*t games that are redundant by next year or two let alone the next generation of consoles.

• Mister Pink, trip, KilnerLUFC and 1 other like this

KilnerLUFC
  • KilnerLUFC

• Members
  • Somalia

Posted 4 weeks ago

I'm starting to warm towards the Indie/Arcade section on my 360, purely for the fact the games are made by people who you can tell have a genuine interest in making the consumer have the best gameplay experince, rather than just trying to be an 'amazing looking' game that actually lacks any substance whatsoever.

I mean, the last game I properly played last on my 360 was Limbo - a side-scrolling game with zero bosses (to an extent), a color palette of 2/3...yet managed to hook me from start to finish. Battleblock Theater was another one that hooked me - another one I need to go back to at some point.
  • Mister Pink likes this

Daz
  • Daz

Pirandello/Kruger

• Cyclop 9
  • None

Posted 3 weeks ago

I totally forgot about Final Fight: Double Impact. It is backwards compatible on the bone. So I grabbed that.

Inadvertently got involved in a knife throwing contest and won:

http://xboxclips.com...a4-aebc61e882a3

Also the Streets of Rage collection owns, you can play NA, EU and Japanese versions.

So you can find this guy:

http://xboxclips.com...f5-df48d8c858f0

Captain Owlfeg
  • Captain Owlfeg

• Facade Corporation
  • Australia

Posted 2 weeks ago

After growing up an Xbox kid, I decided it was time for me to see what I missed on the Playstation 2 side, well worth it because now I have the full Burnout series on disk. I might bust out all my old CD's later, some real classics in there.

gjJHpm1.jpg

Might as well post my mum's old console and some of my old handhelds while I'm at it.

t9rK72j.jpg

Spoiler
  • Daz, Mister Pink and KilnerLUFC like this

Mister Pink
  • Mister Pink

Pink.Inc

• The Connection
  • None
    Best Poster [Music] 2015
    Best Poster [Music] 2014

Posted 2 weeks ago Edited by Mister Pink, 2 weeks ago.

Played through Streets of Rage 1 with MmMs last night, it was f*cking incredible. Aside from playing with family members and the occasional friend with the original console, I have only ever played it 2 separate times with friends online. So this was such a luxury to play pretty much my favorite game of that era for such an extended period of time. I only intended on playing a level or two but couldn't resist, once you get sucked in you end up completing the whole game.

Managed to pull off some insanely flukey pot luck kill on the blaze clone bitches at the end of level 8 with a co-op flying shoulder. If you have played the game enough you will know that those bitches are super f*cking hard to hit, let alone kill. And the co-op moves are difficult to pull off and actually hit people let alone hit a boss, and while they were in the air AND being the killing blow. It was truly amazing that I giffed it so it can live on forever.

Linky dinks:

snip

Original vid:

http://xboxclips.com...be-778c0e805b2f

So you can play Streets of Rage co-op online Xbox? Sweet. I think Golden Axe is on there too. But I really want me some SoR. I just love the kind of streetpunk style to that game the mental techno/house music, the the prologue comes up as we pan across the city in the background. I was thinking about The Warriors the other day and that it's like a spiritual successor to Streets of Rage and I'm not talking about the arcade SoR-style The Warriors but the vanila game, robbing stereos, getting in to fights across the city...

• Daz likes this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users