Photo

[WIP] Vice Rage IV

104 replies to this topic
rome7
  • rome7

Charlamagne

• Members

Posted 16 January 2011 - 02:11 PM

Looking forward to the release, any chance you show us some screens of it ingame?

NeptuneG
  • NeptuneG

2d/3d Artist

• Members

Posted 16 January 2011 - 08:22 PM Edited by NeptuneG, 17 January 2011 - 06:03 AM.

QUOTE (rome7 @ Jan 16 2011, 14:11)
Looking forward to the release, any chance you show us some screens of it ingame?

QUOTE (rome7 @ Jan 16 2011, 14:11)

Basic Street-Net of Miami-Beach imported, wip and these pics do not reflect a full depiction of the public version that will be released in the future.

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

vans123
  • vans123

Thompson 1928

• Members

Posted 16 January 2011 - 09:06 PM

oh thats how R* should do their maps(without counting IV LC)...Im really waiting for more screens and updates in this mod

OG_GhostDog
  • OG_GhostDog

Snitch

• Members

Posted 16 January 2011 - 09:17 PM

i have a hunch that they`ve used this for GTA IV. I think i read something about Rockstar on that software`s website.

cold fusion 33
  • cold fusion 33

Slamman's distant relative

• Members

Posted 16 January 2011 - 09:52 PM

Rockstar would not have used a commercial procedural tool for map creation. I woulds still lay money on them making it all in 3DS Max, or perhaps Maya, but I don't see why they would. If they had used a commercial tool it would be credited.

NeptuneG
  • NeptuneG

2d/3d Artist

• Members

Posted 16 January 2011 - 10:27 PM Edited by NeptuneG, 16 January 2011 - 11:39 PM.

QUOTE (cold fusion 33 @ Jan 16 2011, 21:52)
Rockstar would not have used a commercial procedural tool for map creation. I woulds still lay money on them making it all in 3DS Max, or perhaps Maya, but I don't see why they would. If they had used a commercial tool it would be credited.

yes, rockstar did use various procedural components check your gta iv files, i know they used it for grasses, weeds, trees, bushes, debris,rocks possibly and i also think it was used in building structures details and/or breakable objects ect.

QUOTE (vans123 @ Jan 16 2011, 21:06)
oh thats how R* should do their maps(without counting IV LC)...Im really waiting for more screens and updates in this mod

More news will come as soon as devtools/openformats are updated, hopefully soon till then we are working on lots of details for the mod including making most/alot of our buildings with enter-able interiors..

example of code below taken from R* material conversion directory: \common\data\materials\procedural.dat

CODE

# PROCEDURAL OBJECT INFO
# ----------------------

# TAG  - the tag of the procedural item
# OBJECT NAME  - the name of the object to be generated
# SPACING - the average spacing of the objects
#                 the objects will be placed on average of 1 object every n square metres
# MINDIST - no objects created closer than this
# MINROT - the minimum rotation in degrees
# MAXROT - the maximum rotation in degrees
# MINSCL - the min scale of the object in x and y (ignored if the object is dynamic) - NOTE: the collision will not be scaled
# MAXSCL - the max scale of the object in x and y  (ignored if the object is dynamic) - NOTE: the collision will not be scaled
# MINSCLZ - the min scale of the object in z (ignored if the object is dynamic) - NOTE: the collision will not be scaled
# MAXSCLZ - the max scale of the object in z (ignored if the object is dynamic) - NOTE: the collision will not be scaled
# ZOFFMIN - min offset to add to the object's height
# ZOFFMAX - maxoffset to add to the object's height
# ALIGN  - whether to align the object to the surface normal
# USEGRID - whether to place the objects in a rigid grid formation or randomly across the triangle
# USESEED - whether to use a seed for this object so it's always placed in the same position every time
# FLOATS - looks to the water level to get its z position (must be underwater to start with)

# PROCOBJ TAG   OBJECT NAME  SPACING MINDIST MINROT MAXROT MINSCL MAXSCL  MINSCLZ MAXSCLZ ZOFFMIN zOFFMAX ALIGN USEGRID USESEED FLOATS
# ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PROCOBJ_DATA_START

EXT_PAVEMENT_LITTER  CJ_BAN_6  10.0 2.0 0 360 1.0 1.0 1.0 1.0 0.0 0.0 0 0 0 0
EXT_PAVEMENT_LITTER  CJ_PROC_TICKET1  10.8 2.0 0 360 1.0 1.0 1.0 1.0 0.02 0.02 0 0 0 0
EXT_PAVEMENT_LITTER  CJ_PROC_PAPER2  8.0 2.0 0 360 1.0 1.0 1.0 1.0 0.02 0.02 0 0 0 0
EXT_PAVEMENT_LITTER  CJ_PROC_COFFEE1  8.0 2.0 0 360 1.0 1.0 1.0 1.0 0.02 0.02 0 0 0 0
EXT_PAVEMENT_LITTER  CJ_PROC_FAGP_2  5.5 1.0 0 360 1.0 1.0 1.0 1.0 0.02 0.02 0 0 0 0
EXT_PAVEMENT_LITTER  CJ_PROC_TICKET2  6.0 2.0 0 360 1.0 1.0 1.0 1.0 0.02 0.02 0 0 0 0
EXT_PAVEMENT_LITTER  CJ_PROC_FAG2  4.0 1.0 0 360 1.0 1.0 1.0 1.0 0.02 0.02 0 0 0 0
EXT_PAVEMENT_LITTER  CJ_PROC_REC4  4.0 1.0 0 360 1.0 1.0 1.0 1.0 0.02 0.02 0 0 0 0

EXT_WEEDS_ROCKS   CJ_RUB_9  20.0 2.0 0 360 1.0 1.0 1.0 1.0 0.0 0.0 0 0 0 0
EXT_WEEDS_ROCKS   CJ_PROC_STONE2  10.0 2.0 0 360 1.0 1.0 1.0 1.0 0.0 0.0 0 0 0 0
EXT_WEEDS_ROCKS   CJ_PROC_STONE1  8.5 2.0 0 360 1.0 1.0 1.0 1.0 0.0 0.0 0 0 0 0
EXT_WEEDS_ROCKS   CJ_PROC_PLANT_9  9.0 2.0 0 360 0.5 1.0 1.0 1.0 0.0 0.0 0 0 0 0
EXT_WEEDS_ROCKS   CJ_RUB_11  5.0 2.0 0 360 0.5 1.0 1.0 1.0 0.0 0.0 0 0 0 0
EXT_WEEDS_ROCKS   CJ_PROC_BRICK6  6.0 2.0 0 360 1.0 1.0 1.0 1.0 0.0 0.0 0 0 0 0

OG_GhostDog
  • OG_GhostDog

Snitch

• Members

Posted 16 January 2011 - 10:58 PM

QUOTE (cold fusion 33 @ Jan 16 2011, 21:52)

Wrong aaaaaaaaaaaaaaand.... wrong. This software has some 3d buildings already implemented, but lets you create your own models, too. Which.... most of the people who use CE do. And that own models are made in 3d max or maya, but used in this tool. And, as long as you buy the program, you dont need to give any credits. Take any major company, like.... Samsung, Nokia, whatever. Most of their software is not wrote by those particular companies. They got smaller companies, which they pay for software products, and consider them as their own. No credits are given to the small, 3rd party companies. Same with this tool.

cold fusion 33
  • cold fusion 33

• Members

Posted 17 January 2011 - 08:06 AM

Neptune G: The procedural data does not mean it Was related to a procedural software program. All that procedural means usually is that you give an object a collision flag that places certain object on it, like grass, litter, bushes etc. That has nothing to do with it being made in a procedural software.

OG_Ghostdog: how is what I'm saying wrong? I don't see why Rockstar would use a procedural software to make their maps, as it's not hard to do in most traditional 3D programs. I can confidently say they would have used a traditional modeling software like 3DS Max because that's what the environment artists are trained to use and R* will have a license for these programs. I'm not saying a map couldn't be made using these softwares.

You might want to look up the definition of "procedural" in the context of game engines.

OG_GhostDog
  • OG_GhostDog

Snitch

• Members

Posted 17 January 2011 - 08:32 AM

QUOTE (cold fusion 33 @ Jan 17 2011, 08:06)
Neptune G: The procedural data does not mean it Was related to a procedural software program. All that procedural means usually is that you give an object a collision flag that places certain object on it, like grass, litter, bushes etc. That has nothing to do with it being made in a procedural software.

OG_Ghostdog: how is what I'm saying wrong? I don't see why Rockstar would use a procedural software to make their maps, as it's not hard to do in most traditional 3D programs. I can confidently say they would have used a traditional modeling software like 3DS Max because that's what the environment artists are trained to use and R* will have a license for these programs. I'm not saying a map couldn't be made using these softwares.

You might want to look up the definition of "procedural" in the context of game engines.

Actually, "procedural" , in programming, means a code is based on functions and procedures, chunks of code that repeat themselves and you write em only once. As opposed to... dunno, top-down programming.

And, fyi, in this context.... "Procedural" is the actual name of the company that made the software.
One more thing. Why would you waste 3 years and a sh*tload of people when you can do the same thing in a much shorter time with less men? i really dont think you understand what this program does. THEY DID use traditional modeling software.

Anyway, im just insisting on this thing because im sure that i read something about GTA`s liberty city on CityEngine`s website or forum.

EDIT:

Procedural Inc. today announced the CityEngine 2009.3, the latest version of its groundbreaking software for the fast creation, visualization and analysis of large 3D cities. The software is used by companies such as Zaha Hadid Architects, Foster+Partners, Navteq, Boeing, Thales, Blizzard, Rockstar North, or Mr. X, and was awarded Killer Technology 2009 by 3D World magazine.

m.luqman
  • m.luqman

Student Of Knowledge

• Members

Posted 17 January 2011 - 12:51 PM

You Should Really Consider Changing The Name Of This Mod To mIVmi or Something Though I Think That's The Best Name You Could Give..

awesome mod.

AlexLB
  • AlexLB

Thug

• Members
  • None

Posted 17 January 2011 - 02:23 PM

QUOTE (m.luqman @ Jan 17 2011, 12:51)
You Should Really Consider Changing The Name Of This Mod To mIVmi or Something Though I Think That's The Best Name You Could Give..

awesome mod.

I think you should keep your fail name ideas, like those for yourself and your own mods... biggrin.gif

Awesome mod by the way, that's a great idea! cool.gif

cold fusion 33
  • cold fusion 33

• Members

Posted 17 January 2011 - 02:47 PM

QUOTE (OG_GhostDog @ Jan 17 2011, 09:32)

Actually, "procedural" , in programming, means a code is based on functions and procedures, chunks of code that repeat themselves and you write em only once. As opposed to... dunno, top-down programming.

And, fyi, in this context.... "Procedural" is the actual name of the company that made the software.
One more thing. Why would you waste 3 years and a sh*tload of people when you can do the same thing in a much shorter time with less men? i really dont think you understand what this program does. THEY DID use traditional modeling software.

Anyway, im just insisting on this thing because im sure that i read something about GTA`s liberty city on CityEngine`s website or forum.

EDIT:

Procedural Inc. today announced the CityEngine 2009.3, the latest version of its groundbreaking software for the fast creation, visualization and analysis of large 3D cities. The software is used by companies such as Zaha Hadid Architects, Foster+Partners, Navteq, Boeing, Thales, Blizzard, Rockstar North, or Mr. X, and was awarded Killer Technology 2009 by 3D World magazine.

Wow mercie_blink.gif . Never expected to see R* North or Blizzard on that list... Yeah, I understand these sorts of software, I have messed around with things like Vue and Terragen before, and from what I can gather, it is a similar concept to your program, in the way it builds its worlds.

Well, whoever else uses it, and whatever it does, it doesn't matter, because you're using it and that's fine. The only problem I could see arising is a generic and quite plain map? I hope you take your time to make this unique and awesome!

CF33

m.luqman
  • m.luqman

Student Of Knowledge

• Members

Posted 17 January 2011 - 03:26 PM

QUOTE (AlexLB @ Jan 17 2011, 14:23)

awesome mod.

I think you should keep your fail name ideas, like those for yourself and your own mods... biggrin.gif

Thats Not My Idea i just Repeated Someones Idea, dozingoff.gif

Keep Your Worthless Opinions to your self dozingoff.gif

perroGtA97
  • perroGtA97

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members

Posted 17 January 2011 - 04:15 PM

so you telling that to me too becaus i think same way as others your ideas arent good

ontopic - wow finally someone go deeper rockstar system modeling

m.luqman
  • m.luqman

Student Of Knowledge

• Members

Posted 17 January 2011 - 04:25 PM

QUOTE (perroGtA97 @ Jan 17 2011, 16:15)
so you telling that to me too becaus i think same way as others your ideas arent good

ontopic - wow finally someone go deeper rockstar system modeling

For The Last Time, I Haven't Insulted Any one, I guess, And That Is Not My Idea .

NeptuneG
  • NeptuneG

2d/3d Artist

• Members

Posted 17 January 2011 - 05:13 PM Edited by NeptuneG, 17 January 2011 - 05:24 PM.

delete post - accidental double post

NeptuneG
  • NeptuneG

2d/3d Artist

• Members

Posted 17 January 2011 - 05:18 PM Edited by NeptuneG, 17 January 2011 - 05:56 PM.

tounge.gif Alrightie expert, they did use procedural programming/components which is quite similar to what im using looking at the code... Its about impossible building a full city like LC with only 3ds max cuze 3ds will crash and/or be unstable, theirs way too many objects in a city to actually place them with just 3ds max, 3ds is to model single objects 1 by 1 then place them.. So to add lots of different objects to the map all being somewhat unique in orientation/physical look R* used procedural programming..

GTAIV is not all procedural, but parts of it are built procedurally to obviously make easier to work/edit with.

NeptuneG
  • NeptuneG

2d/3d Artist

• Members

Posted 17 January 2011 - 05:23 PM Edited by NeptuneG, 17 January 2011 - 05:46 PM.

Wow  mercie_blink.gif . Never expected to see R* North or Blizzard on that list... Yeah, I understand these sorts of software, I have messed around with things like Vue and Terragen before, and from what I can gather, it is a similar concept to your program, in the way it builds its worlds.
Well, whoever else uses it, and whatever it does, it doesn't matter, because you're using it and that's fine. The only problem I could see arising is a generic and quite plain map? I hope you take your time to make this unique and awesome!

Map is filled and placed with props and exterior/interiors buildings once open formats and is ready... Proc Multiple layer lod/slod is gonna be great and is gonna allow us to place a huge never seen amount of enter-able builds..

cold fusion 33
  • cold fusion 33

• Members

Posted 17 January 2011 - 06:11 PM

Yah, yah, yah, I was getting a little ahead of myself there being the big expert tounge.gif . To be honest, it doesn't matter what the hell anybody uses, R* North could use Mudbox for all I care to make IV, it doesn't matter, what matters is, you're using this software, and that's great. I hope you have success in using it, but just please don't let it turn into a big city made bland and boring by being repetitive by being made (Quite a lot perhaps) by a computer program. Make sure it's got it's own heart and soul and your own ideas smile.gif .

Sorry to bring this up, as it is a moot point, but LC could be made in Max, you just wouldn't make it all at once, you'd break it all down into smaller parts and model them individually. But I can se how your software could do this a lot easier, so that's cool.

/argument.

Any more cool pictures to show us? biggrin.gif . How about some wireframes?

George

coin-god
  • coin-god

High Roller

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 17 January 2011 - 07:18 PM

QUOTE (cold fusion 33 @ Jan 17 2011, 15:11)
Sorry to bring this up, as it is a moot point, but LC could be made in Max, you just wouldn't make it all at once, you'd break it all down into smaller parts and model them individually. But I can se how your software could do this a lot easier, so that's cool.

/argument.

Any more cool pictures to show us? biggrin.gif . How about some wireframes?

George

Exactly. SA was done that way and its bigger. And I can tell that each part of the map runs smooth in 3D MAX.

A pic from when I done this some time ago:
http://media.moddb.c.../9169/sfmax.JPG

OG_GhostDog
  • OG_GhostDog

Snitch

• Members

Posted 17 January 2011 - 08:13 PM

QUOTE (NeptuneG @ Jan 17 2011, 17:18)

tounge.gif Alrightie expert, they did use procedural programming/components which is quite similar to what im using looking at the code... Its about impossible building a full city like LC with only 3ds max cuze 3ds will crash and/or be unstable, theirs way too many objects in a city to actually place them with just 3ds max, 3ds is to model single objects 1 by 1 then place them.

Actually, for placing and positioning, i think R* had their own tool. Do you know the "Myriad Islands" project? tounge.gif
Every single model was built in 3ds max, but they were placed in the world with a tool someone made. MooMapper. This tool also let you move the original R* content,and also add to it. The " .ipl " files in gta 3 series were just a list of 3d models, actually objects used in that specific zone, with their coordinates and scale.

So, while not being a 3d modeling tool, this thing could load the whole city in a 3d environment. I got no doubt that rockstar used something like that, too.

NeptuneG
  • NeptuneG

2d/3d Artist

• Members

Posted 31 January 2011 - 07:03 AM Edited by NeptuneG, 31 January 2011 - 08:42 AM.

bump! tounge.gif

Basic street network of Vice-Beach...

Still missing lots of objects and a handful of details

street components still not imported:

*Vegetation

*Barriers

*Fences

*Highway guard rails

*Street Damage Decals

*Street Decals

And few more other things...

Island almost ready for buildings and props!

OG_GhostDog
  • OG_GhostDog

Snitch

• Members

Posted 31 January 2011 - 09:19 AM

is Collision ok? tounge.gif no bugs?
Looking great, man smile.gif Keep `em coming tounge.gif

GTARandom
  • GTARandom

Unfortunate piece of meat

• Feroci Racing
  • Croatia

Posted 31 January 2011 - 01:53 PM

Man , i simply love it inlove.gif , reminds me so much of True Crime : Streets of LA. Espceially the highway. cool.gif

vans123
  • vans123

Thompson 1928

• Members

Posted 31 January 2011 - 06:29 PM

awesome smile.gif
it has a pretty complex and modern look, just like IV LC does

lowridincrew
  • lowridincrew

The WerkHeads Vice President

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 31 January 2011 - 10:43 PM

No lie. I like it but its something off. I think its the map scale. I think it should be bigger or something.

win001
  • win001

Top Gear

• Members

Posted 04 February 2011 - 11:36 PM

The map is jaw dropping. Excellent!

And I noticed you used EFLC. good, but will it work for IV?

NeptuneG
  • NeptuneG

2d/3d Artist

• Members

Posted 05 February 2011 - 04:17 AM

QUOTE (win001 @ Feb 4 2011, 23:36)
The map is jaw dropping. Excellent!

And I noticed you used EFLC. good, but will it work for IV?

This is not EFLC, its GTAIV 1.0.7.0(steam version) it just has the new VRIV interface/menu.. Should work on almost all the GTAIV patches 1.0.4.0 and up..

*I could never get EFLC's map completely cleaned with my version, so hopefully EFLC will be supported in the future but the mod dosent work with EFLC for now..

------

Glad you guys like it, were working on importing some fresh interiors to test out.. Currently, were testing out different night clubs similar to those in TBOGT..

Ill upload another video as soon as we got something real nice wink.gif

aoxsystems
  • aoxsystems

www.xssed.com

• Members

Posted 05 February 2011 - 01:53 PM

This is great,create most of the city using generated buildings...and then at the end,create some specific using max to make it memorable like well known hotels,statues....

..GhosT
  • ..GhosT

GTAForums Veteran

• Members
  • None

Posted 05 February 2011 - 03:01 PM

QUOTE (AlexLB @ Jan 17 2011, 16:23)

awesome mod.

Also he should stop beginning every word with a shifted letter.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users