Quantcast

» «
Photo

Driver: San Francisco

495 replies to this topic
AceRay
  • AceRay

In my restless dreams, I see that town...

• Members

Posted 29 April 2011 - 07:23 AM

QUOTE (Proud Fool @ Apr 29 2011, 07:00)
What's the big problem with the shift if it's all a dream, it's like a lucid dream where you can do and be anything, I think it's unique, it's not a superpower...

and I don't mean by do or be anything that you should literally be able to turn into a monster of some sh*t.

because in previous games, you didn't have any teleporting powers. They were quite realistic games. So to throw in a super power is ludicrous. You have real cars in a real setting, so all this silly teleporting sh!t is annoying.

onto other unrealistic stuff, it feels like Tanner and Jericho could be in a "shared" dream and its really physiological and supernatural and crap like that. Sounds retarded for Driver. I just want to drive! Why not have Tanner back on the streets or some new kid or even an unnamed protagonist? less people would be put off.

And how dare they give Tanner a first name! he has allows been Tanner, never John Tanner!

Blackadder.
  • Blackadder.

Luck. Runs. Out.

• Andolini Mafia Family

Posted 29 April 2011 - 11:16 AM

It's not a lucid dream because he's not aware he's dreaming. He just thinks an unfortunate accident gave him a god-like ability and uses it like anyone else would.

The demo they showed with the police chase and 'Quick Shift' where you can tap a button to switch to the next car pursuiting the suspect was pretty cool, it allows you to stay in the action easier if you mess up. And if you don't want it to be easier, don't use it.

Another aspect of shift that seems to be quite handy is using it as a trip skip option.

Vercetti21
  • Vercetti21

V21

• Andolini Mafia Family

Posted 29 April 2011 - 12:49 PM Edited by Vercetti21, 29 April 2011 - 12:52 PM.

I just can't help but feel like the shift feature is only there because they don't want to touch GTA's "run around and kill everyone" mechanic with a 50 foot pole. Fair enough, because the on-foot action in Driv3r was pretty lame. Either they know they can't compete or they're aiming for a T rating.

Still, in the Scarface game you couldn't kill peds, but you at least had the ability to walk around. Now I get that it's a driving game and that they want to go back to the original roots and whatever, but let's face it: they've already crossed the line into the sandbox genre. People like to have more sand in the sandbox. Why not just learn from past mistakes and improve on what's already there? It just seems like a lazy step backwards.

Illousion
  • Illousion

Over the hills and far away

• The Connection

Posted 29 April 2011 - 05:57 PM

That trailer is f*cking a, this is going to be great.

cold fusion 33
  • cold fusion 33

Slamman's distant relative

• Members

Posted 30 April 2011 - 03:42 PM

Wow, what a trailer! Let's just hope they haven't mangaged to f*ck the story up completely this time. I mean, Driver Parallel Lines had a novel idea for a story but its execution was shockingly bad.

A J
  • A J

Aggressively Honest

• BUSTED!
  • Wales
  • Best Event 2012 [Gang Wars]

Posted 30 April 2011 - 03:54 PM

i was a big fan of the original driver, remember the test you had to do in the multistory car park?

I enjoyed drive 2 aswell, first we saw of roads that were curved lol

but i skipped driv3r, that whole shift thing looked sh*t to me, think driver could be an awesome game, but stay away from the bullsh*t gimmicks.

Proud Fool
  • Proud Fool

Mack Pimp

• BUSTED!

Posted 30 April 2011 - 04:50 PM

That trailer didn't make any indications of Tanner's coma, maybe they scrapped the idea..?

Blackadder.
  • Blackadder.

Luck. Runs. Out.

• Andolini Mafia Family

Posted 30 April 2011 - 05:02 PM

What trailer are you talking about? I read a recent review that still kept on track with the coma idea, the interviewee even noting that the player will see messages across the city telling Tanner to wake up.

evh5150vanhalen
  • evh5150vanhalen

The gypsy modeler

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 30 April 2011 - 05:10 PM

I really hope the coma/shift thing doesn't last the whole game. and you wake up and go after Jericho and it's normal get out of your car and run around.......I can dream no?

badboy_zay
  • badboy_zay

:)

• Members
  • None

Posted 30 April 2011 - 05:16 PM

i just hope that Tanner didn't wake up and see he is still in Istanbul at the end of the game,and the biggest "Inception" word appear after that.

AceRay
  • AceRay

• Members

Posted 01 May 2011 - 07:09 AM

Is Tanner in limbo? Is he dreaming up a coma, or is the coma real? Is he in a coma dreaming of a coma where he is dreaming of San Francisco? Is Jericho really Eames in disguise? How many layers is Tanner in? Will Cobb show up?

Actually, an Inception game sounds awesome, but for a game where you stay in your car at all times... no.

JKidd
  • JKidd

Prankster

• Members

Posted 01 May 2011 - 11:29 AM

I don't get it, didn't the Driver's that Tanner was in take place in the 70's? dontgetit.gif

Proud Fool
  • Proud Fool

Mack Pimp

• BUSTED!

Posted 01 May 2011 - 05:44 PM

You're thinking of Parallel Lines.

Chinatown Wars
  • Chinatown Wars

<3 Chris

• Members

Posted 01 May 2011 - 09:32 PM

QUOTE (Proud Fool @ May 1 2011, 17:44)

And 1 and 2
This game is though right after events of three (2004) but it still doesn't make since to put in a 2012 car in a 2004 timeline

Proud Fool
  • Proud Fool

Mack Pimp

• BUSTED!

Posted 01 May 2011 - 09:56 PM

I've only played 1 and 2 when I was like 8 and that was only briefly for like 30 minutes so I wouldn't know didn't care for em' either.

The only one I liked is 3 sure enough.

AceRay
  • AceRay

• Members

Posted 02 May 2011 - 05:18 AM

QUOTE (Chinatown Wars @ May 1 2011, 21:32)

And 1 and 2
This game is though right after events of three (2004) but it still doesn't make since to put in a 2012 car in a 2004 timeline

no, Driver is 70s, Driver 2 is 80s, Driv3r is 90s...
i guess Tanner has been in a really long coma. Or he can see the future whatsthat.gif

Freakorama
  • Freakorama

Freako

• The Yardies
  • Australia

Posted 02 May 2011 - 11:13 AM

QUOTE (AceRay @ May 2 2011, 15:18)

And 1 and 2

Where did you pull that from?

Seddo
  • Seddo

YNWA

• Zaibatsu
  • None
  • Winner of Euro 2008 Prediction League

Posted 02 May 2011 - 10:15 PM

New gameplay trailer i believe? Car chases and stuff.

Is looking pretty damn good. I'm not really a fan of in car views but it does look cool.

Blackadder.
  • Blackadder.

Luck. Runs. Out.

• Andolini Mafia Family

Posted 03 May 2011 - 05:25 AM Edited by Blackadder., 03 May 2011 - 05:31 AM.

Good trailer, nice to see some open streets back, Parallel Lines often felt too cramped to pull off some nice powerslides.

And apparently the director mode is coming back? Awesome. smile.gif

AceRay
  • AceRay

• Members

Posted 03 May 2011 - 05:44 AM

QUOTE (Futurama_Freak1 @ May 2 2011, 11:13)
QUOTE (AceRay @ May 2 2011, 15:18)

And 1 and 2

Where did you pull that from?

from, well, the game's atmosphere, technology, everything really.
Driver is obviously 70s. don't need to explain
Driver 2 is tricky, as it isn't as obvious as the others.
Driv3r has phones, laptops, Tanner has obviously aged, cars are newer (in Nice). can't be anything else.

Banks.
  • Banks.

#AONLIU

• The Yardies
  • Colombia
  • Most Knowledgeable [Sports] 2013

Posted 03 May 2011 - 06:03 AM

Looking forward to Driver San Francisco. It's nice to see the series back.

chris
  • chris

Everton FC

• The Connection

Posted 03 May 2011 - 12:20 PM

I cannae wait for this!

balkanskijunak
  • balkanskijunak

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 05 May 2011 - 08:00 PM

new info,http://www.gametrailers.com/video/story-tone-interview/713379

Ash_735
  • Ash_735

• Members
  • None
  • Contribution Award [Mods]
    Most Knowledgeable [GTA] 2013
    Best Map 2013 "ViceCityStories PC Edition"

Posted 06 May 2011 - 10:50 AM

Still not sure how I feel about this, I actually liked Driv3r, only problems was the controls and insane difficulty curve (and the camera), but the cast, music and story were pretty damn awesome. Also, Driv3r took place in 2004.

Mak
  • Mak

Religion! ... Cause of Peace & War.

• Members
  • Pakistan

Posted 06 May 2011 - 01:12 PM

i am playing driver parallel lines these days ,i found it to be a bit fun

anyways someone here said we cant walk anymore or something can someone give me a little detail to what this means ,really we can't walk??

Minatoku
  • Minatoku

Snitch

• Members

Posted 06 May 2011 - 09:23 PM

QUOTE (AceRay @ May 3 2011, 05:44)
[QUOTE=Futurama_Freak1,May 2 2011, 11:13]
Driv3r has phones, laptops, Tanner has obviously aged, cars are newer (in Nice). can't be anything else.

In Driv3r action took place in the 2000's with old cars.
Miami's cars were of the 80's, Istambul's cars were pf the 70's and Nice's cars were of 80's early 90's. (the police car was based on the 1991 citroen ZX).

Looking the trailer of Driver SF, I am a bit worried about the graphism.

AceRay
  • AceRay

• Members

Posted 07 May 2011 - 01:34 AM

QUOTE (Ash_735 @ May 6 2011, 10:50)
Also, Driv3r took place in 2004.

How old is Tanner? he couldn't be 50-60 at the time of Driv3r?
or is it even the same Tanner?

Ash_735
  • Ash_735

• Members
  • None
  • Contribution Award [Mods]
    Most Knowledgeable [GTA] 2013
    Best Map 2013 "ViceCityStories PC Edition"

Posted 07 May 2011 - 05:15 PM

QUOTE (AceRay @ May 7 2011, 01:34)
QUOTE (Ash_735 @ May 6 2011, 10:50)
Also, Driv3r took place in 2004.

How old is Tanner? he couldn't be 50-60 at the time of Driv3r?
or is it even the same Tanner?

Well, Driver 1 has Tanner as this young cop, so it's possible for him to be early 50's by Driv3r, Jericho and Tanner both look a lot older, sound like they've been through a lot more, etc, plus their actors (Michael Madsen and Mickey Rourke) fit the ages to.

ptiko
  • ptiko

• Members
  • None

Posted 07 May 2011 - 06:07 PM

That's complete bullsh*t.

I had real high hopes for this, from watching the teaser last year. Let down again.

Proud Fool
  • Proud Fool

Mack Pimp

• BUSTED!

Posted 07 May 2011 - 06:27 PM Edited by Proud Fool, 17 May 2011 - 09:55 PM.

QUOTE (Play)
It's been such a long time since we first heard about a new Driver game, and you've talked before about the game's delay being to do with getting it up to 60 frames per second. Are you satisfied with how the game looks now? Do you feel that it's close to what you imagined it being when you started the project?

It's actually got better in some ways because when we targeted 60fps we thought we were going to have to make lots of visual sacrifices and obviously you do have to make some visual sacrifices. We've ended up being able to claw up some effects, some lighting effects that we thought we wouldn't be able to have, and there are more creeping in even as we speak. So from that point of view it's better. A lot of people were very sceptical of us being able to hit 60fps in an open-world city, especially in San Francisco in which you can park on the top of a hill and look across the bay and see 10 miles out. To hit 60fps with a high density of traffic, a high number of pedestrians, and [as such] a lot of sceptical people - I think the fact we've done it and also have some cool lighting effects in there as well is something that we're all pretty proud of.

In terms of playing it today, I'd say there's an arcade-like feel to the visuals. It's very clean, crisp, and neat, unlike the roughness of a Grand Theft Auto city. There's also a bit of dissonance between the cut scenes and the in-game footage. Is that something to expect in the final game?

Well, it depends on what you're specifically talking about. There are limitations to the various aspects of detail and resolution and so on, not just frame rate but because of the fact that you can drive continuously from one end of the city to another. If you design a game that is a track, all of your memory is devoted to this one track and you can do some pretty crazy things but then that's it, that's the track. If you want a totally open world environment you have to make other kinds of compromises. But what we've got are more effects - you can see that (points to screen) what we're experimenting with at the moment is a film grain. It isn't finalized by any means, but it is just there to grit things up a bit and to make it look more like you're watching a movie, so that you're watching a movie of the chase, a movie of the game rather than the actual game.

Outside of the visuals, in the time the game has been in development there have been a number of open world driving games including Grand Theft Auto IV and Burnout Paradise. Have you had to keep one eye on what the competition has been doing or was it more of a straight line in terms of your creative direction and what you initially wanted to do with San Francisco?

It's actually been a straight line in the sense that we set out five years ago when we designed the game and Shift was there from day 1, and the overall vision was the same. Obviously missions have been changed and tweaked around, but we never had guys running around, we never had guns, we always had licensed cars, and Shift was in there from day 1. So it's been more like this (makes a slight zigzag motion). Quite often games end up firing off left and right and then somebody comes up with something and then they're off in a new direction, but it hasn't been like that with us at all, but we obviously keep a curious eye on what everyone else is doing, but we tend not to be influenced. If you look at previous games that Reflections has done, we did really quite original stuff like Destruction Derby, Stuntman, and the original Driver. They all kind of go their own way. We think that Shift is something that is so reactive and fun to use, I hope that there's this feeling, certainly I feel it anyway when I play other games, that I want to shift out of the car and sh*t into another car.

Shift is, like you say, a unique mechanic. In terms of the three previous Driver games which were not necessarily serious, but it's a big change to go to something like this which is almost sci-fi. From what I played just now it feels like you're trying to take a humorous route with it, almost making it Quantum Leap-like in how you switch from one body to another. Is that deliberate?

Well, it's deliberate that it has a lighter tone. It's deliberate that it's more humours. That's based on how much feedback we had from Driver 3 and Driver 4 that people were getting a bit tired of the overly gritty, overly dry, overly serious thing. You know, these people have played Grand Theft Auto and all other sorts of things. That was the one thing we took away from that, that this was what people seem to want. They just want something that's a bit lighter. It is entertainment, it can be a long experience, and you want to smile occasionally so we deliberately took the decision to make it a bit lighter from that point of view.

The Shift [mechanic] itself and the coma itself are actually more rooted in reality than you might think. There are so many ways that we could've justified this function. You could imagine that some alien situation or some kind of teleportation element, or something that was really genuinely sci-fi. But this is a coma, and a coma is a real thing. From what we know of comas, people have sorts of visions and dreams, and also what happens in real life infiltrates your head just as it does in a normal dream. When you're sleeping, if something loud happens outside then often your dream will reflect it, not necessarily the same thing but it gets twisted and absorbed and spat out some other way. So I think actually it's not really sci-fi. It's definitely curious, but it's more rooted in reality than some sort of sci-fi thing. I think the coma is a good way of doing that without drifting off into real crazy stuff.

Is that something we'll see a lot in the game, the external world affecting the mental one?

Yes - I don't know if you reached the hospital scene...

Yeah, I just got up to it.

OK, well that's the first moment where you see Tanner in his hospital bed. I don't know if you noticed but there's a television in the corner of the room that's running the news. There's the sound coming from it and somebody mentions Jericho and Tanner's hand flinches. Then you go back into his eye again, back into the coma, and this is something that reoccurs and builds as you go through the game.

How much will the game play on the city of San Francisco itself in terms of landmarks and layout?

Well, the city is based quite heavily and closely on San Francisco, so you've got all the major landmarks: Golden Gate Bridge, Bay Bridge, Alcatraz, the Transamerica pyramid. Any major iconic area that you could care to mention in the San Francisco Bay area is generally there. It's not metre for metre replicating because experience has told us that doing that with a game makes it actually very boring and drags people away so we compressed the areas together. What's unique about this engine, again our proprietary rendering engine - this was the only we were able to do this... San Francisco is an awkward city to build for a game because you can be on the top of a hill. When you're on a hill all of your clever systems for occluding things all fall apart - it's more like a flight sim than a driving game from a technical point of view. So you're on the top of a hill, you can see right across the bay, you can see all the way across the Golden Gate Bridge and beyond to the Sutro Tower, the observatory on the top of Marin, to Transamerica, things that miles and miles apart, and you can see all the way over there. This is something that is quite unique to the engine. Apart from looking nice it helps you to orientate yourself within the city.

In one of the missions I played through just now I had to do a 10m jump. When I think of San Francisco car chases I think of the jumps - are they going to be a recurring theme in the game?

San Francisco is obviously great for jumps, and they did that in Bullet with the Mustang and the Charger coming down the hills. We have lots and lots of movie references, and the more that you play the game the more things you unlock the more of those you'll find. We have some games and challenges that are very directly inspired by film and TV show car chases.

While Driver is quite a well-known series a lot of players might not have played any of the previous games...

Especially the younger players.

Right. How much are you trying to reset the storyline with San Francisco or will it stay true and close to the plots of the previous games?

It's not a reset or a reboot - it's been called a reboot but it's only a reboot in technology in focus, but it's the same characters from Driver 1, 2, and 3 and the story takes place six months or so after the events of Driver 3. But it's self-contained so if you haven't played Driver 1, 2, or 3 then it doesn't really matter who Jericho is necessarily. If you have then there's a bit of extra meat and flesh to the story. But he's a bad guy, he busts out of prison, Tanner clearly hates, Jones is his partner, etc. It forms its own self-contained story. If you want to go off and do the research to find out why he's in prison - well he's been sentenced for the crime of shooting Tanner in Istanbul. That's why Tanner hates him so much. Jones knows why Tanner's so obsessed - why's he so obsessed? Well, he met Jericho two games ago in Driver 2. So you can form that whole thing - we've been very sensitive to the timeline to make it all make sense, but that's there for fans of the original.

You've mentioned that Shift will be a major part of the multiplayer. Can you elaborate on that?

We're not going into too much detail on multiplayer today. Shift is totally integrated into multiplayer. You've played a bit of the game today so you know how Shift works. Imagine taking that mechanic into a multiplayer experience. You've got up to eight players grabbing cars off each other just before each other, getting to the finish line by grabbing a car - these sorts of things. They've been all designed with Shift [in mind] so it's not like we've added Shift to multiplayer, it's been there right from the beginning. And it just creates this incredibly chaotic, fun environment. One of the problems with driving games online is that you have the first bend crash and then all your friends are off down the road and you may as well reset because that's the end of your experience, basically. With Shift it's got that real right-at-the-last-minute feel where you can still snatch victory from someone. We have races and chases, base defence games, capture the flag where you grab a flag for your team and take it back to the base, but with Shift you're always right on the action. You can follow the action with Shift before you make your play, before you grab the car. We don't charge you for Shift except that it uses some of your ability juice, but you can float around in Shift for as long as you want. But in Shift you're not scoring, you're not achieving anything.

Finally, are there any ideas for where the series will go after San Francisco?

It really depends on how well received this game is and its concept is. Generally, plans beyond this - this has been a five-year development and we're still in the thick of development. The game doesn't come out until September so we've got still several months of work to do on it. Then there'll be a holiday and then we'll all sit down and think about what are we going to do with the next game - or what are we going to do, full stop.

I'm pretty much hyped for this game so I thought I'd share this long interview with Ubisoft Reflection's Creative Director Martin Edmonson.
Source

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users