Photo

Driver: San Francisco

495 replies to this topic
DC93
  • DC93

Mako Eyes.

• Members

Posted 06 January 2011 - 02:47 PM

I've just watched the Inside Xbox video on this. Here's the link to the official page;

Driver: San Francisco - Official Page

And here's the Inside Xbox video;

Personally, I think it's setting out to look great, over 100 licenced cars, it's set in Frisco, the producers are going back to the whole '70's car chase style of vehicle handling (Bullitt scene recreation anyone?). In other words, they've said they're stripping the game down and building it up again. And thank God, it'll be nice to see what they can achieve with this. Not to mention Jericho from Driver 2 is back, but the main man Tanner is too.

But the question I'm dying to know is;

Will Micheal Madsen voice Tanner again?

Rucke
  • Rucke

Gangsta

• Members

Posted 06 January 2011 - 03:50 PM

Isn't there a topic about this game already? I'm sure it is since there's been awhile since they annaunced it.

Tyla
  • Tyla

Trouble Man

• Members
  • Australia
  • Best Concept Story 2014
    Contribution Award [Concepts]

Posted 06 January 2011 - 04:01 PM

I don't think Madsen is going to voice Tanner again. I'm sure I saw one of the preview videos and the guy voicing Tanner was the stereotypical surfer dude type, sadly a world away from Michael Madsen and his sinister undertones. Jericho looks nowhere near as intimidating as he did in Driv3r either if I remember rightly sad.gif

That said, I'm eagerly anticipating this. I don't mind if the story isn't all that great because I just want a game I can throw cars around in. I remember they're putting a Dodge Monaco in this? If thats the case I'll defiantly just spend hours getting into trouble with the police and driving around SF with my music on. "Shift" sounds interesting too even if it does sound like its a plot point straight out of Ashes to Ashes.

Chinatown Wars
  • Chinatown Wars

<3 Chris

• Members

Posted 06 January 2011 - 04:09 PM

Jericho has been bad luck to the driver series. I mean, driver 2 got mixed reviews and Driv3r got horrible reviews (but I loved it). But isn't Jericho in Driv3r the guy at the end who shoots and "kills" tanner? Because if it is, Jericho looks at least 20 years older.

Gareth Alan Willmer
  • Gareth Alan Willmer

Thug

• Members

Posted 15 January 2011 - 04:07 PM

Lets hope this doesnt end up a disaster on the Xbox. Dont forget the Driver series is what debuted on the Playstation Format. I really hope they dont mess this up and ruin the Driver Series with this

Kevin...
  • Kevin...

Bringer of Dramageddon

• The Connection
  • United-States

Posted 15 January 2011 - 04:17 PM

I miss the old Driver/Driver 2. No driving or sandbox style game has given me the same feeling Driver did. If they can manage to squeeze a little bit of that pure, unadulterated fun into this game, it will do well. I just hope its not as much of a letdown as Driv3r was.

Illousion
  • Illousion

Over the hills and far away

• The Connection

Posted 15 January 2011 - 04:17 PM

I've got some hopes for this. Bouncing around Frisco in a '74 Monaco sounds like great fun.

JOSEPH X
  • JOSEPH X

Boss

• Members

Posted 28 April 2011 - 06:55 AM

Release date has been announced:

August 30th

http://vgn365.com/20...date-announced/

badboy_zay
  • badboy_zay

:)

• Members
  • None

Posted 28 April 2011 - 07:04 AM

i used to love Driv3r,it's a great game,great story,music and stuff,... even it's buggy a bit
however i hate this sh*t.graphic totally great in fact.but the gameplay is...
all you do in this game is chasing bad guy,and in fact that all about this stuff is just come from Tanner's coma.lol,player can "teleport" from this car to another car,what a bullsh*t stuff
i wish it was just like Driv3r,a bit GTA-ish,but it's fine,driver by,shooting,side mission,...
but i should give it a try when it's came out anyway

Barry Spock
  • Barry Spock

Li'l G Loc

• Members

Posted 28 April 2011 - 09:23 AM

hum... looks like it could've been awesome. Driving around a huge map of SF. but the shift thingy takes in in a completely different direction -- from that utoob clip
http://www.youtube.c.../10/L9YtOeck3A0
it looks like it kind of spoils it.

what would've been REALLY good is if it had been completely set in 1970s SF. Probably wouldn't be that popular though.

Menaced
  • Menaced

• Andolini Mafia Family

Posted 28 April 2011 - 09:47 AM Edited by Menaced, 28 April 2011 - 10:18 AM.

I really like how some of the old Driver sounds have been reused, like the Police siren and the skid noises - they really do bring back some happy memories.

San Francisco looks fantastic; I like how large and varied it is and how bright and pleasant it looks.

The only thing that is a bit of a put off is the silly "Shift" gimmick. It's like the devs discovered it during development while tinkering with their new engine, and just threw it into the game for the fun of it. It's just way out of place, in my opinion.

Edit: I further dislike the fact that we can no longer get out of our vehicles and walk on foot. The city is so large and diverse, it'd be a shame to not be able to explore it on foot and get a real feel of the city.

AceRay
  • AceRay

In my restless dreams, I see that town...

• Members

Posted 28 April 2011 - 10:29 AM

I loved the Driver series as a kid. even Driv3r. fun game.
this looks amazing. This will cause a million wet dreams for me until this is released.

But I'm allowed to teleport into other cars? why not give me a laser gun and set it 200 years in the future?

Algonquin Bridge
  • Algonquin Bridge

Large, metallic bridge structure carrying cars across water.

• Members

Posted 28 April 2011 - 10:44 AM

Looks great, I've been itching for some car-chase action for a while now. But...

1) I don't like the Shift mechanic. Feels far too out of place in a driving game, or at least for this game. Which brings me onto my next point (spoilered, just in case:)

2) A coma? Really? Instead of just having a regular storyline which could've held its own and given us plenty of car-chases, they decide to "spice it up" with a coma? Ugh!

Toup
  • Toup

Group: Cheesedicks

• Members

Posted 28 April 2011 - 10:48 AM

QUOTE (Algonquin Bridge @ Apr 28 2011, 11:44)
Looks great, I've been itching for some car-chase action for a while now. But...

1) I don't like the Shift mechanic. Feels far too out of place in a driving game, or at least for this game. Which brings me onto my next point (spoilered, just in case:)

2) A coma? Really? Instead of just having a regular storyline which could've held its own and given us plenty of car-chases, they decide to "spice it up" with a coma? Ugh!

Exactly, this shift mode sir, is sh*t. If i ever get the game i won't use it... Back in Driver 2 it was simple and fun.

shahmen
  • shahmen

• Members

Posted 28 April 2011 - 10:58 AM

This is the first time i see that a Driver game is made for Mac OS X now.
And the graphics looks stunning.

Rebel
  • Rebel

Woop Woop!

• The Connection
  • United-States

Posted 28 April 2011 - 11:20 AM

I think Shift could kinda work if you get tired of spinning out I suppose. Or if you just want to try out the different cars. I do have to say though that the guy driving the cars in the video was f*cking sh*tty during the police chase, no wonder they implemented Shift.

Algonquin Bridge
  • Algonquin Bridge

Large, metallic bridge structure carrying cars across water.

• Members

Posted 28 April 2011 - 11:21 AM

QUOTE (Toup @ Apr 28 2011, 10:48)
Exactly, this shift mode sir, is sh*t. If i ever get the game i won't use it... Back in Driver 2 it was simple and fun.

I have a worry, which is there will be scripted events in the game which force us to use it.

Tanner: "Grr! Chasing Jericho, freeway surprisingly empty!"
WHOOPS! SCRIPTED 14-WHEELER COMES FLYING ACROSS THE FREEWAY OUT OF NOWHERE BLOCKING YOU FROM JERICHO!
Tanner: "Oh no! Lol I'll have to use shift (Which must be some AWESOME new super-power I have, and not something sprung from a coma) to warp into a car ahead of the uncanny crash!"

Toup
  • Toup

Group: Cheesedicks

• Members

Posted 28 April 2011 - 11:52 AM

QUOTE (Algonquin Bridge @ Apr 28 2011, 12:21)
QUOTE (Toup @ Apr 28 2011, 10:48)

I have a worry, which is there will be scripted events in the game which force us to use it.

Tanner: "Grr! Chasing Jericho, freeway surprisingly empty!"
WHOOPS! SCRIPTED 14-WHEELER COMES FLYING ACROSS THE FREEWAY OUT OF NOWHERE BLOCKING YOU FROM JERICHO!
Tanner: "Oh no! Lol I'll have to use shift (Which must be some AWESOME new super-power I have, and not something sprung from a coma) to warp into a car ahead of the uncanny crash!"

Oh, i hope not.

Seddo
  • Seddo

YNWA

• Zaibatsu
  • None
  • Winner of Euro 2008 Prediction League

Posted 28 April 2011 - 02:26 PM

It's not looking to bad at all, very nice. The map is bigger than what i expected it would be as well.

That shift feature just seems like one of those things that has been thrown in for the casual gamer. I can see why they added it but it may take away some of the excitement and adrenaline from those close chases because you know that if you mess up it's not costly and you could just shift into another car.

AceRay
  • AceRay

• Members

Posted 28 April 2011 - 10:41 PM

I think you'll only be allowed to use your teleport skills (shift) when not in a police chase.
and whenever you shift, there would be a short cinematic of Tanner getting out of his car and jacking another, so its not so retarded? I hope this happens in the game.

Rebel
  • Rebel

Woop Woop!

• The Connection
  • United-States

Posted 28 April 2011 - 11:28 PM

QUOTE (AceRay @ Apr 28 2011, 22:41)
I think you'll only be allowed to use your teleport skills (shift) when not in a police chase.
and whenever you shift, there would be a short cinematic of Tanner getting out of his car and jacking another, so its not so retarded? I hope this happens in the game.

...Did you even watch the video? It clearly shows when you use Shift (although it is a limited time frame deal that you've gotta boost up kind of like Dead Eye in RDR) it shows NO animation of him switching cars..because he thinks he's got this super awesome power but he's just in a coma so he's dreaming it up.

I have a feeling we'd still be allowed to do it while in a police chase though, since it would be kind of silly if you couldn't.

Street Mix
  • Street Mix

Boss

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 28 April 2011 - 11:33 PM

AceRay
  • AceRay

• Members

Posted 28 April 2011 - 11:46 PM

QUOTE ($RebelG @ Apr 28 2011, 23:28)

...Did you even watch the video? It clearly shows when you use Shift (although it is a limited time frame deal that you've gotta boost up kind of like Dead Eye in RDR) it shows NO animation of him switching cars..because he thinks he's got this super awesome power but he's just in a coma so he's dreaming it up.

I have a feeling we'd still be allowed to do it while in a police chase though, since it would be kind of silly if you couldn't.

nah, thats just a beta. its not quite done yet, they're just showing you that to make you exited. It had better not be done like that.

In all honesty, I think Driver 2 has it right. You could change cars in a realistic way but it wasn't a third person shooter like Driv3r. They should just do that without having any guns or teleporting skills.

Barry Spock
  • Barry Spock

Li'l G Loc

• Members

Posted 29 April 2011 - 01:31 AM

QUOTE (AceRay @ Apr 28 2011, 23:46)
QUOTE ($RebelG @ Apr 28 2011, 23:28)

nah, thats just a beta. its not quite done yet, they're just showing you that to make you exited. It had better not be done like that.

In all honesty, I think Driver 2 has it right. You could change cars in a realistic way but it wasn't a third person shooter like Driv3r. They should just do that without having any guns or teleporting skills.

I agree. The changing cars feature makes sense if you've trashed your ride but want to stay in the chase. More like taking a time penalty and having less choice of what the next vehicle is you get. That would be okay.

Having an OOBE, floating around while the the scene is frozen and being able to transfer to a semi way up the road.. well it's too much like this --->
user posted image

David.
  • David.

Street Cat

• Members
  • India

Posted 29 April 2011 - 02:08 AM Edited by d4v1d, 29 April 2011 - 02:15 AM.

I remember playing Driver 2 on my old PS1. I think the game had two disks. The chases used to be fun. I hope that Drive San Francisco can bring back the old free roam experience.

EDIT: Just saw the permanent Internet connection required thing. WTF, Ubisoft?
I thought you learned from AC2.........

JOSEPH X
  • JOSEPH X

Boss

• Members

Posted 29 April 2011 - 04:53 AM

"Sigh" Graphics are fantastic, SF looks beautiful, what they have to put a dumbass mechanic like "shift" in it for?

AceRay
  • AceRay

• Members

Posted 29 April 2011 - 04:59 AM

why not just have a garage in the menu or even several garages where we can play around in different cars?

Proud Fool
  • Proud Fool

Mack Pimp

• BUSTED!

Posted 29 April 2011 - 07:00 AM

What's the big problem with the shift if it's all a dream, it's like a lucid dream where you can do and be anything, I think it's unique, it's not a superpower...

and I don't mean by do or be anything that you should literally be able to turn into a monster of some sh*t.

stinomontana
  • stinomontana

contract chiller

• Members

Posted 29 April 2011 - 07:05 AM

i dont like the shift feature to, first they make the game as realistic as possible even with licenced cars.
and then the ruin it by adding superpowers. suicidal.gif

Freakorama
  • Freakorama

Freako

• The Yardies
  • Australia

Posted 29 April 2011 - 07:22 AM

Its a Video Game.

They can do whatever they like to be honest.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users