Becoming A Successfull DYOM Mission Designer

56 replies to this topic
Chimpso
  • Chimpso

Be a king.

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 20 January 2011 - 02:46 AM

The second step of "Mission Packs" is complete. Thanks to Levindski, Secronom President and Jimmy_Leppard for contributing greatly to that section thus far smile.gif . Now working on step three.

Chimpso
  • Chimpso

Be a king.

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 19 February 2011 - 09:30 AM

I'm gonna keep working on this tonight. I'll at least get the "Mission Packs" section done. As always, suggestions are always welcome smile.gif .

Chimpso
  • Chimpso

Be a king.

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 19 February 2011 - 12:02 PM

Finally, Mission Packs is complete!

Pledge of Chaos
  • Pledge of Chaos

Secronom

• Members
  • Canada
  • Helpfulness Award [DYOM]
    Contribution Award [DYOM]

Posted 20 February 2011 - 05:37 AM

Here is something for the review part:

Currently, there are two official reviewers; AznKei and Secronom President. These guys are both good missions designers and dedicated to the DYOM community. AznKei was the only reviewer until Secronom President proposed him to help doing reviews which he accepted after he showed his skills. Since then, there is two reviewers.

The review system might looks hard to understand at first but, on second thought, is easier than it seems. Here are the criteria's they use to do their reviews; writing, presentation, length, difficulty and variety. Plus, those criteria's also have a scale;

Writing: Could be Better -> Decent -> Good -> Very Good -> Excellent

Presentation: Could be Better -> Decent -> Good -> Very Good -> Excellent

Length: Too Short (-1 minute) -> Short (2 to 3 minutes) -> Decent (4 minutes) -> Good (5 to 6 minutes) -> Very Good (7 to 9 minutes) -> Excellent (10 to 14 minutes) <- Long (15 to 20 minutes) <- Very Long (+21 minutes)

Difficulty: Very Easy -> Easy -> Medium <- Hard <- Very Hard <- Too Hard!!

Variety: Could be Better -> Decent -> Good -> Very Good -> Excellent

As of now, you're surely curious to know what it is all about. Well, here is an explanation for each of the criteria's;

"Writing" is focused with the mission dialogues and instructions quality. The rating depends the structure of your writings and how easy we can understand them.

"Presentation" is focused on visual and storyline quality. The rating depends how accurate the camera in your cutscenes are and if you put things that surprise the player like the explosions, the stunts, etc.

"Length" is focused on the time the player spends on the mission. The rating depends how long the mission lasts.

"Difficulty" is focused on... well, the difficulty on the mission. The rating depends how hard the mission can be for an average player perspective and how accessible it is for the mainstream players.

"Variety" is focused about the amount of contents that can be found in the mission. The rating depends how many different actors, weapons, objects, vehicles and pickups can be found in the specific mission.

We can take missions as exams at school. If we put big a big effort into them, we get a good note. That's the same for the missions. Try you best to make them good and it will pay off.

Just in case you're too lasy to find it ( sigh.gif ) , here is the link of the review thread; DYOM Missions Review

Chimpso
  • Chimpso

Be a king.

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 21 February 2011 - 10:22 AM

I will add it as soon as possible. Very busy with school right now sad.gif .

jetjatin
  • jetjatin

Homie

• Members
  • India

Posted 21 February 2011 - 02:11 PM Edited by jetjatin, 12 May 2011 - 12:15 PM.

Finally Really helpful Chimpso smile.gif Good Work! icon14.gif

EDIT: You forgot something in the list anyway.

Chimpso
  • Chimpso

Be a king.

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 12 May 2011 - 09:55 AM

First of all, yes, I am a lazy bastard.

Second, I'm continuing work on this now biggrin.gif .

kmlwin.1996
  • kmlwin.1996

Hold upô

• BUSTED!

Posted 12 May 2011 - 12:04 PM Edited by kmlwin.1996, 12 May 2011 - 12:12 PM.

I have suggestion for you Chimpso.

You should add the Must Have Abilities Of Good DYOM Mission Designer

- A good DYOM Mission Designer must have an ability to choose carefully to his character's dialogues, life part, appearance.

- He must make his missions to make more popular, like inserting color codes.

- He must have an ability to choose weapons. It is important in real. Example, if the designer make his story in gang world, the weapons must be pistol or uzi.

Chimpso
  • Chimpso

Be a king.

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 19 May 2011 - 11:40 AM

To jetjatin, sorry for not answering your PMs. I was going to answer you straight away but I kept getting an error when I tried to send a PM to you (works for everyone else confused.gif ). I haven't been active around here recently and honestly couldn't be bothered notifying you through any other means.

I'll add your name when I do the next edit, but I don't know why your so bothered with it though. Matter of fact, I'm thinking of either only adding members who have been here for a long time, or removing the list entirely.

Time will tell I guess...

jetjatin
  • jetjatin

Homie

• Members
  • India

Posted 19 May 2011 - 12:50 PM

QUOTE (Chimpso @ May 19 2011, 11:40)
To jetjatin, sorry for not answering your PMs. I was going to answer you straight away but I kept getting an error when I tried to send a PM to you (works for everyone else confused.gif ). I haven't been active around here recently and honestly couldn't be bothered notifying you through any other means.

I'll add your name when I do the next edit, but I don't know why your so bothered with it though. Matter of fact, I'm thinking of either only adding members who have been here for a long time, or removing the list entirely.

Time will tell I guess...

Oh Sorry for Bugging you. You can edit when want.

Pledge of Chaos
  • Pledge of Chaos

Secronom

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 25 May 2011 - 11:11 PM

Is this thing left in the dust?

Chimpso
  • Chimpso

Be a king.

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 15 June 2011 - 11:10 AM

QUOTE (Secronom President @ Thursday, May 26 2011, 08:41)
Is this thing left in the dust?

No, I promise that is will at least be completed by the end of the year. Sorry for not working on it. I've honestly not been in the mood recently.

In the next few months though? Who knows?

yo-g
  • yo-g

disegner mission

• Members

Posted 11 July 2011 - 08:24 AM

[B]nice guide, and I was very helpful since we know how to do it with DYOM, but sometimes, or lack of imagination .. good wink.gif

Shoot-Boss
  • Shoot-Boss

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 21 July 2011 - 03:27 PM Edited by Shoot-Boss, 23 July 2011 - 10:31 AM.

THIS MISSION MAKING GUIDE SUCKS ASS

MOFO

Mati
  • Mati

f*ck the planet till it spins on a broken axis

• BUSTED!

Posted 21 July 2011 - 03:33 PM

QUOTE (Shoot-Boss @ Thursday, Jul 21 2011, 15:27)
THIS MISSION SUCKS ASS

MOFO

Uhm... what mission are you talking about?

IX-MJ-XI
  • IX-MJ-XI

Creations

• Members
  • Philippines

Posted 21 July 2011 - 11:18 PM

QUOTE (Shoot-Boss @ Thursday, Jul 21 2011, 15:27)
THIS MISSION SUCKS ASS

MOFO

^fail?

simi10
  • simi10

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 22 July 2011 - 06:50 AM

This is really helpful guide for newbs like me smile.gif It will help people like me to make better missions and mission packs smile.gif

Pledge of Chaos
  • Pledge of Chaos

Secronom

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 23 July 2011 - 07:03 PM

QUOTE (Shoot-Boss @ Thursday, Jul 21 2011, 11:27)
THIS MISSION MAKING GUIDE SUCKS ASS

MOFO

It is even possible to suck an ass? monocle.gif

Else, f*ck off. We don't want people like you hanging aroud here.

Ayman1337
  • Ayman1337

Underground Gamer

• Members

Posted 05 August 2011 - 07:38 PM

Nice Tutorial! I am now working on a storyline (still typing it up on Word).

Basically, it's 1998 and Grove Street has total control of Los Santos. You will play as a Ballas drug dealer who has come back home from Vice City to find out that Rolling Heights Ballas have fallen apart (yep, the tables are turned). At first, your older brother helps you settle in and reclaim the Jefferson hood. Then, you have to do various tasks to help your gang rise again (still thinking of purposes). There will also be a criminal database with the Top 5 Most Wanted criminals in San Andreas. That's all I can reveal at the moment.

Jimmy_Leppard
  • Jimmy_Leppard

DYOM mission designer/user

• Members
  • None

Posted 11 August 2011 - 08:44 PM

QUOTE (Ayman1337 @ Friday, Aug 5 2011, 19:38)
Nice Tutorial! I am now working on a storyline (still typing it up on Word).

Basically, it's 1998 and Grove Street has total control of Los Santos. You will play as a Ballas drug dealer who has come back home from Vice City to find out that Rolling Heights Ballas have fallen apart (yep, the tables are turned). At first, your older brother helps you settle in and reclaim the Jefferson hood. Then, you have to do various tasks to help your gang rise again (still thinking of purposes). There will also be a criminal database with the Top 5 Most Wanted criminals in San Andreas. That's all I can reveal at the moment.

Sounds interesting. Although, there is a big amount of similiar mission packs already. However, I always like to try new stories and see what people make biggrin.gif

Nitesh002
  • Nitesh002

Nitesh aka AAAAAAA

• Members
  • None

Posted 24 November 2011 - 10:24 AM

Decided to bump this because of the recent huge numbers of newcomers in this section. I hope it helps them.

john12
  • john12

Good Bye!

• Members

Posted 24 November 2011 - 11:33 AM

Good you did it, nitesh. or else i would have to pay for it. biggrin.gif sorry.

anyways, i saw many missions but i myself can't do that... how to make dialouges appear like they are talking with each other but they aren't. any DYOM Support? sad.gif

KaRzY6
  • KaRzY6

♧♤♧♤♧♤♧♤♧

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 13 December 2011 - 11:25 AM

When will this be completed??

Chimpso
  • Chimpso

Be a king.

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 27 April 2012 - 01:01 PM Edited by Chimpso, 27 April 2012 - 01:08 PM.

QUOTE (Me @ almost a year ago)
I promise that is will at least be completed by the end of the year. Sorry for not working on it. I've honestly not been in the mood recently.

Yeah right, Chimpso.

Just so you guys know, I want to try to finish this tonight or withing the next few days. I'm going to edit the sections a little, and not include superfluous stuff.

This time I mean it. I am finishing this, just try to stop me devil.gif .

Dre_Day77
  • Dre_Day77

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 13 May 2012 - 04:05 AM

Thanks for the tips. I am a beginner in the dyom mission making but I have many good ideas. I am working on my mission pack called "The Chronic" if you'd like to know more about it just ask me.

Gabryel
  • Gabryel

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 28 May 2012 - 07:06 PM

Very useful,thanks a lot.I am making a mission pack,it will have many missions(I will try to make 100).The pack will be a continuation of CJ's live,it will have many action,characters and adventures.

It's a good idea to do a triller!In the triller I will put the characters,the list of the missions,I little description of the story and some scenes from the missions! biggrin.gif

Living Tribunal
  • Living Tribunal

Zohair Irani

• Members
  • None

Posted 17 November 2012 - 05:42 PM

Hello....I am New To this Dyom ...I just wanted to Ask that Is Cutscene a Necessity For Every Mission ?? I really Get Messed Up with the Timing and also position of cameras when Multiple cutscene objectives are included in the same Area .......
Can Someone give me Some Advice and Tips Of Creating Cutscenes ???
Can a Mission Be perfectly Alright WITHOUT Cutscenes ????

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users