Photo

The Dark Knight Rises

1,138 replies to this topic
Otter
  • Otter

sea dwelling madman

• Canada

Posted 01 May 2012 - 08:26 PM

I think I'm too jaded to be properly excited by this. Anyone have a quick cure for acute cynicism? I laughed at the "this isn't a car" line for the wrong reason.

Typhus
  • Typhus

OG

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 01 May 2012 - 09:02 PM

QUOTE (Otter @ Tuesday, May 1 2012, 20:26)
Anyone have a quick cure for acute cynicism?

View it more as a war film than a comic book movie. Sure, the characters are based on comic mythology, but the story in The Dark Knight Rises is not the usual bland exercise in explosions and gunfights.

The character of Bane, for instance, is one who is intentionally attempting to tap into the anti-establishment feeling fostered by the Occupy movements we've seen recently. And this of course puts him at odds with Batman, who represents the upper class elite to Bane's working class hero.

What will be really interesting is seeing how audiences judge Bane at the movies close. Costume wise, he has been designed to invoke similarities to both dictators and revolutionaries. This will not be a clear cut case of heroes and villains, but rather differing world views.
Do you make the best with a corrupt system or destroy everything and build anew?

Perhaps approach it as an intelligent political commentary and you may find it more fulfilling.

Vanilla Shake
  • Vanilla Shake

Chris Force Five

• The Connection
  • United-States

Posted 11 May 2012 - 07:00 PM

Some new info, photos and tidbits are in the latest issue of Total Film which is dedicated to TDKR.

-Temperatures got up to 120 degrees during the shoot in Jodhpur, India.
-Batman Begins' theme was fear, The Dark Knight's theme was chaos, Christian Bale said that “pain” is constant throughout The Dark Knight Rises.
-In terms of brutality, The Dark Knight Rises exceeds The Dark Knight.
-Christopher Nolan admitted that the ending of The Dark Knight left the audience hanging, and explained that The Dark Knight Rises has a great ending. Nolan is thrilled to bring the story around full circle to its conclusion.

There's also a photo of Catwoman holding a handgun. I'll post it when I can find a quality image.

GTA-King
  • GTA-King

I was alive.

• BUSTED!

Posted 11 May 2012 - 07:37 PM

QUOTE (Typhus @ Tuesday, May 1 2012, 21:02)
QUOTE (Otter @ Tuesday, May 1 2012, 20:26)
Anyone have a quick cure for acute cynicism?

View it more as a war film than a comic book movie. Sure, the characters are based on comic mythology, but the story in The Dark Knight Rises is not the usual bland exercise in explosions and gunfights.

The character of Bane, for instance, is one who is intentionally attempting to tap into the anti-establishment feeling fostered by the Occupy movements we've seen recently. And this of course puts him at odds with Batman, who represents the upper class elite to Bane's working class hero.

What will be really interesting is seeing how audiences judge Bane at the movies close. Costume wise, he has been designed to invoke similarities to both dictators and revolutionaries. This will not be a clear cut case of heroes and villains, but rather differing world views.
Do you make the best with a corrupt system or destroy everything and build anew?

Perhaps approach it as an intelligent political commentary and you may find it more fulfilling.

This is precisely why I will be rooting for Bane in this movie, because I admire his goal.

I always tend to root for the bad guys though. icon14.gif

Vanilla Shake
  • Vanilla Shake

Chris Force Five

• The Connection
  • United-States

Posted 13 May 2012 - 01:05 PM

Is it just me, or does the music used in this final trailer really leave an (exciting) emotional impact? Like the buildup and then how it really kicks in for the montage towards the end. That part of the trailer's score really reminds me of a mixture of themes composed for both Batman Begins and The Dark Knight and I f*cking love it. I hope at least a variation of it will be featured on the film's soundtrack. Seems to me that it's possible Hans Zimmer may have outdone his work on BB/TDK and Inception.

Girish
  • Girish

• India

Posted 13 May 2012 - 02:20 PM

QUOTE (Vanilla Shake @ Sunday, May 13 2012, 18:35)
Is it just me, or does the music used in this final trailer really leave an (exciting) emotional impact? Like the buildup and then how it really kicks in for the montage towards the end. That part of the trailer's score really reminds me of a mixture of themes composed for both Batman Begins and The Dark Knight and I f*cking love it. I hope at least a variation of it will be featured on the film's soundtrack. Seems to me that it's possible Hans Zimmer may have outdone his work on BB/TDK and Inception.

Completely agree with you there. The way it builds up towards the middle and end of the trailer is just simply amazing!

I got to see this trailer on the big screen for the first time when I went to watch 'Dark Shadows' and almost everyone in the theater became quiet and readied themselves as soon as we knew the trailer was going to be shown. It was absolutely fantastic to catch it on the big screen. I f*cking wish they would show it during every movie that is released up until July.

GTA-King
  • GTA-King

I was alive.

• BUSTED!

Posted 13 May 2012 - 10:48 PM Edited by GTA-King, 14 May 2012 - 02:19 AM.

^ I too just got back from seeing Dark Shadows (took my mother for mother's day) and seen the trailer. I absolutely can't wait! Bane is such a badass.

FoxTint
  • FoxTint

Gun it, playa

• Members

Posted 15 May 2012 - 02:24 PM

This could possibly outdo 'The Dark Knight' in revenue and critical acclaims.

Only problem is, the film will be released in July, but the DVD/Blu-Ray will be released January of Febuary 2013 depending on how well it does.

I like the fact Nolan reuses actors for most films he does. Usually this is a recipe for disaster, but he really works with their strengths. The way he did Inception with a very weird leading actor (DiCaprio) was amazing as a standalone movie only.

GTA-King
  • GTA-King

I was alive.

• BUSTED!

Posted 17 May 2012 - 02:03 PM

Quick off topic question about Batman Begins...

Just finished watching it. Haven't seen it in a long time. When the inmates break out of Arkham, it is assumed Joker was among them, right? I was just wondering, because this would make the most sense. To me anyway.

OT: I believe Raz Al Ghul's daughter will be allied with Bane, and together they will tear Gotham down and build anew. That is, after all, what the League of Shadows does, right?

TheJonesy
  • TheJonesy

Carry on.

• Members

Posted 17 May 2012 - 02:35 PM

QUOTE (GTA-King @ Thursday, May 17 2012, 14:03)

Just finished watching it. Haven't seen it in a long time. When the inmates break out of Arkham, it is assumed Joker was among them, right? I was just wondering, because this would make the most sense. To me anyway.

OT: I believe Raz Al Ghul's daughter will be allied with Bane, and together they will tear Gotham down and build anew. That is, after all, what the League of Shadows does, right?

I don't think it was ever stated, but it does seem to be highly probable, considering the Joker suffers from many psychopathological problems. That is not to say that he could have ran amok prior to the riot, but I suppose that sounds a bit weak.

If I remember correctly - yet vaguely - though, I recall during The Dark Knight viral campaign a reference to an individual who could've possibly been the Joker; I do believe it referenced an escaped inmate, as well.

OT: Yes, that is what the League of Shadows does; though, Bane isn't necessarily fond of "teaming up." If this were the case, he'll be sure to attend to his own agenda, whether it conflicts with them or not.

GTA-King
  • GTA-King

I was alive.

• BUSTED!

Posted 17 May 2012 - 02:56 PM

QUOTE (TheJonesy @ Thursday, May 17 2012, 14:35)
QUOTE (GTA-King @ Thursday, May 17 2012, 14:03)

I don't think it was ever stated, but it does seem to be highly probable, considering the Joker suffers from many psychopathological problems. That is not to say that he could have ran amok prior to the riot, but I suppose that sounds a bit weak.

If I remember correctly - yet vaguely - though, I recall during The Dark Knight viral campaign a reference to an individual who could've possibly been the Joker; I do believe it referenced an escaped inmate, as well.

OT: Yes, that is what the League of Shadows does; though, Bane isn't necessarily fond of "teaming up." If this were the case, he'll be sure to attend to his own agenda, whether it conflicts with them or not.

Oh ok. So nothing is neither confirmed nor denied of the Joker's origins. I'm going to go with him being one of the inmates that broke out. There's no way I guy like that could have lived freely. He's simply bat-sh*t insane (pun intended).

I think you may be right. Perhaps Bane will use the League of Shadows as a pawn to achieve his own goals.

Ryda King
  • Ryda King

Nevags Gordo Scrotorum

• BUSTED!

Posted 17 May 2012 - 04:08 PM

QUOTE (GTA-King)
He's simply bat-sh*t insane (pun intended).

No he's not. No. He's. Not.

GTA-King
  • GTA-King

I was alive.

• BUSTED!

Posted 17 May 2012 - 04:23 PM

QUOTE (Ryda King @ Thursday, May 17 2012, 16:08)
QUOTE (GTA-King)
He's simply bat-sh*t insane (pun intended).

No he's not. No. He's. Not.

lol, I forgot. tounge.gif

I wonder what they will say about his fate in DKR... or even mention him at all? I'm pretty sure they locked him back up though.

Ryda King
  • Ryda King

Nevags Gordo Scrotorum

• BUSTED!

Posted 17 May 2012 - 04:46 PM

I doubt it. They didn't mention Ras in TDK, can't see them mentioning The Joker. Plus, in my opinion, that was the perfect last scene of the Joker. He gives his speech, then, while hanging upside down, just laughs endlessly. To quote a comment from YouTube:

Joker Quote: In their Final moments, people show you who they really are.
Joker falling to his death................Laughs maniacally.

Ledger gave the performance of a lifetime. I would prefer they keep his fate a mystery in TDKR.

Typhus
  • Typhus

OG

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 17 May 2012 - 04:49 PM

Given his numerous crimes, the chances are that he'd be getting shunted from court to court long before he ever saw the inside of a prison cell.

GTA-King
  • GTA-King

I was alive.

• BUSTED!

Posted 17 May 2012 - 05:04 PM Edited by GTA-King, 17 May 2012 - 05:07 PM.

Well, I would say they put him (back) in Arkham, but apparently Bane initiates a mass breakout in DKR.

Just think if Hedger was still alive... we'd probably see him in DKR. Would have been awesome to see him alongside with Bane. TDK was all about chaos though, which was all the Joker stood for. I suppose it's time to move on.

Ryda King
  • Ryda King

Nevags Gordo Scrotorum

• BUSTED!

Posted 17 May 2012 - 09:48 PM

Well he WAS going to be in TDKR, although with a smaller role. But sadly it didn't happen. R.I.P.

Vanilla Shake
  • Vanilla Shake

Chris Force Five

• The Connection
  • United-States

Posted 18 May 2012 - 12:44 AM

Bane isn't breaking prisoners out of Arkham, he's freeing the ones from Blackgate Penetentiary. Joker is more than likely locked away in Arkham, which must be fine at this point since it would have been 8-9 years ago since Ra's al Ghul's attack and I'm sure in that time the Narrows have been cleaned up a bit. Still a poor neighborhood, but no longer filled with escaped psychopaths.

GTA-King
  • GTA-King

I was alive.

• BUSTED!

Posted 18 May 2012 - 01:26 AM

QUOTE (Vanilla Shake @ Friday, May 18 2012, 00:44)
Bane isn't breaking prisoners out of Arkham, he's freeing the ones from Blackgate Penetentiary. Joker is more than likely locked away in Arkham, which must be fine at this point since it would have been 8-9 years ago since Ra's al Ghul's attack and I'm sure in that time the Narrows have been cleaned up a bit. Still a poor neighborhood, but no longer filled with escaped psychopaths.

Oh ok. I didn't know that!

My mind is now at ease. icon14.gif

TheJonesy
  • TheJonesy

Carry on.

• Members

Posted 18 May 2012 - 03:31 AM

Knowing the Joker's ways - given, within the timespan of almost a decade - he's probably escaped and been apprehended numerous times; he eventually took a break and is currently sippin' on mojitos in Aruba.

By the way, did anyone else get a "Pfeiffer vibe" from Anne's line at the end of the trailer?

Vanilla Shake
  • Vanilla Shake

Chris Force Five

• The Connection
  • United-States

Posted 18 May 2012 - 04:08 AM

user posted image

TheJonesy
  • TheJonesy

Carry on.

• Members

Posted 18 May 2012 - 04:19 AM

I hated the mask after I saw the first released image, but, goddamn, do I love it more and more each glance.

I admire the dichotomous quality they portray in Bane's costume; he is dressed as both someone fighting to end tyranny while being one who plans to create it.

Typhus
  • Typhus

OG

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 18 May 2012 - 04:30 AM

QUOTE (TheJonesy @ Friday, May 18 2012, 03:31)
By the way, did anyone else get a "Pfeiffer vibe" from Anne's line at the end of the trailer?

No, because Hathaway is actually portraying the character from the comics instead of a psychotic dominatrix that spewed from Burton's mind.
So I haven't noticed any similarities and I hope I don't in the finished film.

TheJonesy
  • TheJonesy

Carry on.

• Members

Posted 18 May 2012 - 04:33 AM

QUOTE (Typhus @ Friday, May 18 2012, 04:30)
QUOTE (TheJonesy @ Friday, May 18 2012, 03:31)

No, because Hathaway is actually portraying the character from the comics instead of a psychotic dominatrix that spewed from Burton's mind.
So I haven't noticed any similarities and I hope I don't in the finished film.

Not the character herself - the line, her voice; the way it was executed.

Otter
  • Otter

sea dwelling madman

• Canada

Posted 18 May 2012 - 06:10 AM

...which comic?

buzbegone
  • buzbegone

• Members

Posted 18 May 2012 - 08:57 AM

QUOTE (TheJonesy @ Friday, May 18 2012, 12:19)
I hated the mask after I saw the first released image, but, goddamn, do I love it more and more each glance.

I admire the dichotomous quality they portray in Bane's costume; he is dressed as both someone fighting to end tyranny while being one who plans to create it.

I still hate it. They basically took away everything we knew about Bane and created their own f*cking character. Where's the venom? Full mask? Massive body?
I can see Nolan is going for a more realistic approach but I wish he did it in a way that would honour the original character appearance-wise like he did with Scarecrow and the Joker.

Vanilla Shake
  • Vanilla Shake

Chris Force Five

• The Connection
  • United-States

Posted 18 May 2012 - 10:17 AM

QUOTE (buzbegone @ Friday, May 18 2012, 03:57)

I still hate it. They basically took away everything we knew about Bane and created their own f*cking character. Where's the venom? Full mask? Massive body?
I can see Nolan is going for a more realistic approach but I wish he did it in a way that would honour the original character appearance-wise like he did with Scarecrow and the Joker.

Well if you look closely enough at Bane's head, the parts where his eyes are exposed from the mask sort of resemble that Lucha Libre mask he wears in the comics. Plus, he doesn't just break Batman physically, he breaks him mentally and emotionally in the comics and I expect the same from this film. He doesn't need venom, nor does he need to be the size of the Hulk. Bane was created to be Batman's deadliest and smartest foe. He breaks all of the inmates out of Arkham and sits back and observes as Batman rounds up all of the escapees, and in that time he deduces that the Batman is Bruce Wayne, so he breaks into the Batcave before Bruce arrives after capturing the final escaped prisoner, and when he does he's already physically worn out, making it much too easy for Bane to break the Bat.

Personally, I think this Bane is already better than the comic book version.

TheJonesy
  • TheJonesy

Carry on.

• Members

Posted 18 May 2012 - 04:43 PM

QUOTE (buzbegone @ Friday, May 18 2012, 08:57)

Well, according to your theory, that would make the Schumacher Bane better than Nolan's; I mean, despite the green skin tone and ridiculous biker elements in his costume, he still resembles the comic look more so than this, right?

Yes, I agree that his look is much different than what we might've expected, but I think the most focus should be placed on the character's portrayal as a whole: the dialogue, the way he talks, the way he carries himself, body language, etc.

And, despite the South American roots of his imprisonment, the very essence of Bane's goals and personalities - I believe - are much more apparent in this costume as opposed to the wrestling outfit. Whether we know if the anaesthetic-like drug he is required to breathe is in fact called Venom or not, I still believe the apparatus still satisfies that aspect of his comic counterpart.

Vanilla Shake
  • Vanilla Shake

Chris Force Five

• The Connection
  • United-States

Posted 18 May 2012 - 06:54 PM

QUOTE (TheJonesy @ Friday, May 18 2012, 11:43)
QUOTE (buzbegone @ Friday, May 18 2012, 08:57)

Well, according to your theory, that would make the Schumacher Bane better than Nolan's; I mean, despite the green skin tone and ridiculous biker elements in his costume, he still resembles the comic look more so than this, right?

Yes, I agree that his look is much different than what we might've expected, but I think the most focus should be placed on the character's portrayal as a whole: the dialogue, the way he talks, the way he carries himself, body language, etc.

Bingo.

I was completely sold on this version of Bane when I saw the way he slightly turned his head and glared menacingly at Dr. Pavel in the prologue. The way Tom Hardy can act using only his eyes is awe inspiring.

buzbegone
  • buzbegone

• Members

Posted 19 May 2012 - 12:37 AM

QUOTE (Vanilla Shake @ Friday, May 18 2012, 18:17)
QUOTE (buzbegone @ Friday, May 18 2012, 03:57)

He breaks all of the inmates out of Arkham and sits back and observes as Batman rounds up all of the escapees, and in that time he deduces that the Batman is Bruce Wayne, so he breaks into the Batcave before Bruce arrives after capturing the final escaped prisoner, and when he does he's already physically worn out, making it much too easy for Bane to break the Bat.

Personally, I think this Bane is already better than the comic book version.

Alright, I'll let you guys have this one.

But where did you get all that plot info from? Reading the comic?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users