Quantcast

» «
Photo

GTA SA PS2 Graphics on PC?

121 replies to this topic
Mr. Kingpin
  • Mr. Kingpin

Chain so heavy dat my neck starts hurtin'!

• Members

Posted 28 December 2010 - 08:30 AM

If you have ever played or seen GTA San Andreas on PlayStation 2, you'd notice that the graphics are much different than in PC. The PS2 version is more realistic, has shadows, reflections etc and looks much better and different than both the PC and Xbox version.

my question is, how can I have the PlayStation 2 graphics/etc of GTA San Andreas in PC?

spaceeinstein
  • spaceeinstein

巧克力

• Members

Posted 28 December 2010 - 08:48 AM

I think the blurriness of the TV screen makes the console version look more "realistic" and hides more imperfections than the crisp and sharp PC monitor. If you want realistic graphical effects, why not download ENB series?

twannie1997
  • twannie1997

Thug

• Members
  • Netherlands

Posted 28 December 2010 - 09:29 AM

i agree with mr. king, some cars do not have sheens and between 6 and 10 pm there is a nice orange color sky

Mr. Kingpin
  • Mr. Kingpin

• Members

Posted 28 December 2010 - 08:49 PM

QUOTE (spaceeinstein @ Dec 28 2010, 08:48)
I think the blurriness of the TV screen makes the console version look more "realistic" and hides more imperfections than the crisp and sharp PC monitor. If you want realistic graphical effects, why not download ENB series? Did you play Xbox version of San Andreas? Even if it's played on TV, it does look kind of like PC version. So PS2 must have something special and I want to know how to have that thing in PC.

and twannie1997, I agree with you 100%. the orange sky is missing in the PC version. And also SA on PS2 has different sky, more lighting and looks way better than the wack PC version.

Well I know of ENBSeries and I tried it. But it doesn't really give me what I want. Is there a way I can make the PC version's graphics/etc like the PS2 version when it comes to blurriness and other things that the TV screen provide?

Mr. Kingpin
  • Mr. Kingpin

• Members

Posted 29 December 2010 - 07:49 AM

Bump this topic. I wanna find an answer to this damn question

coin-god
  • coin-god

High Roller

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 29 December 2010 - 03:05 PM

QUOTE (Mr. Kingpin @ Dec 29 2010, 04:49)

No. Only ENB or a timesync.dat edit may do the trick.

Mr. Kingpin
  • Mr. Kingpin

• Members

Posted 29 December 2010 - 09:17 PM Edited by Mr. Kingpin, 30 December 2010 - 01:36 AM.

QUOTE (goin-god @ Dec 29 2010, 15:05)

Will it also add the car reflection and shadowing like in PS2 to the game as well?

Mr. Kingpin
  • Mr. Kingpin

• Members

Posted 30 December 2010 - 06:12 AM

QUOTE (goin-god @ Dec 29 2010, 15:05)

Timesync doesnt do sh*t. and enbseries is not what im asking for...

johnisbmw
  • johnisbmw

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 30 December 2010 - 03:42 PM

Connect the PC to your TV

Mr. Kingpin
  • Mr. Kingpin

• Members

Posted 30 December 2010 - 10:08 PM

QUOTE (johnisbmw @ Dec 30 2010, 15:42)
Connect the PC to your TV

LOL? no bro, that's not how this sh*t work. I dont think it got anything to do with the TV. I think it's the system itself. Cause Xbox version looks like PC version so it must be the PS2 version itself that has different graphics, not the whole TV. You guys know of a way to play the PS2 version on PC, without the simulator?

DexX
  • DexX

Black Hat

• Feroci Racing

Posted 30 December 2010 - 10:34 PM

You asked this in the other topic, i'll just answer it here;
so, is there any way to have the PS2 timecyc in the PC version?

Yes, to a limited extent. You could copy the timecyc.dat from the ps2 disc to your pc game, and the game will read it. But there's an even simpler solution than that - the file "timecycp.dat" on the pc is *identical* to the ps2 timecyc.dat file. So simply backup your original "timecyc.dat" file, make a copy of the "timecycp.dat" file, and rename it to "timecyc.dat", and you'll be set.

The reflections on the vehicles won't be any different, but you will get the ps2 sky, environment, lighting, etc. The PS2 lighting is superior. For one thing, the ps2 sun actually works;
user posted image

You'll notice it on peds, some vehicles, weapons, cutscenes, etc. For the reflections, bloom etc, that's a change in the exe ("system") and you'll need enb, sagfx, or another advanced gfx mod to change them.

Another pic;
http://www.3dhole.co...pics/sunlit.JPG
The super GT and trailer are actually lit now, along with CJ, his gun, the ped on the bike, etc.

Mr. Kingpin
  • Mr. Kingpin

• Members

Posted 31 December 2010 - 02:24 AM Edited by Mr. Kingpin, 31 December 2010 - 02:43 AM.

DexX, that's exactly what I was kind of looking for. I used your second method (timecycp) and I can see a little difference only. The sky looks the same and you're right, the lighting really is superior. But the sky isn't that much changed. In PS2 the sky has a greenish kind of color in the daytime.

and with enbseries i'll have reflection and shadows alright but not like PS2 one. and if you know how to not change ANYTHING but the shadows on enbseries, please let me know. and do you know how to change the exe file with sagfx or anything else to make it look like the PS2 one?

and is the PS2 timecyc.dat any different than timecycp.dat in PC?

Mr. Kingpin
  • Mr. Kingpin

• Members

Posted 31 December 2010 - 02:30 AM

Sorry for Double-post but here's the thing..

the sky don't look orange (reddish orange) like it does in PS2.

help please

DexX
  • DexX

Black Hat

• Feroci Racing

Posted 31 December 2010 - 04:48 AM

the file "timecycp.dat" on the pc is *identical* to the ps2 timecyc.dat file.

and with enbseries i'll have reflection and shadows alright but not like PS2 one. and if you know how to not change ANYTHING but the shadows on enbseries, please let me know. and do you know how to change the exe file with sagfx or anything else to make it look like the PS2 one?

If you want PS2-style shadows, turn the graphics quality to the lowest setting, which will disable dynamic shadows the PC uses. The shadows will then be exactly the same as the PS2 version.

But the sky isn't that much changed. In PS2 the sky has a greenish kind of color in the daytime.

The timecyc files have the only values we can adjust for the sky. If that doesn't make it look the same, then it is most likely hardcoded.

Mr. Kingpin
  • Mr. Kingpin

• Members

Posted 31 December 2010 - 05:07 AM

QUOTE (DexX @ Dec 31 2010, 04:48)

the file "timecycp.dat" on the pc is *identical* to the ps2 timecyc.dat file.

If you want PS2-style shadows, turn the graphics quality to the lowest setting, which will disable dynamic shadows the PC uses. The shadows will then be exactly the same as the PS2 version.

But the sky isn't that much changed. In PS2 the sky has a greenish kind of color in the daytime.

The timecyc files have the only values we can adjust for the sky. If that doesn't make it look the same, then it is most likely hardcoded.

In PS2 the shadows are more powerful (you can see way more effect). I am playing GTA San Andreas in lowest settings.

and so in order to have the exact PS2 sky, do I have to change the Timecyc.dat manually cause there's a little tool for that

and you are the creator of sagfx. i downloaded it but has no idea how to install it.

EDIT:

by the way, the PS2 reflection on cars are pretty intense.

OverTheBelow
  • OverTheBelow

OTB "Oaty-Bee"

• Zaibatsu

Posted 31 December 2010 - 07:27 AM

God damn you are ignorant. If you really want the PS2 graphics so insanely badly, get the PS2 version. Here on PC we have to suffer with better and newer graphics technology, unfortunately.

There are NO REFLECTIONS on PS2 whatsoever. Merely specular or bloom which is also present on PC along with realtime reflections on some surfaces like the xbox version.

Mr. Kingpin
  • Mr. Kingpin

• Members

Posted 31 December 2010 - 07:29 AM

QUOTE (OverTheBelow @ Dec 31 2010, 07:27)
God damn you are ignorant. If you really want the PS2 graphics so insanely badly, get the PS2 version. Here on PC we have to suffer with better and newer graphics technology, unfortunately.

There are NO REFLECTIONS on PS2 whatsoever. Merely specular or bloom which is also present on PC along with realtime reflections on some surfaces like the xbox version.

Haha chill out smartass. Ok, whatever it is, I want my PC SA graphics to be like PS2.
either help or get the f*ck out!

OverTheBelow
  • OverTheBelow

OTB "Oaty-Bee"

• Zaibatsu

Posted 31 December 2010 - 07:42 AM Edited by OverTheBelow, 31 December 2010 - 07:45 AM.

I 'helped' by invalidating your point about "the PS2 reflection on cars are pretty intense." in which you believed the specular is any different when compared to PC. Which it isn't.

so in order to have the exact PS2 sky, do I have to change the Timecyc.dat manually cause there's a little tool for that

If you even paid any attention to Dexx's posts, you would know that now you'd be changing the timecyc so that it is different to PS2. Right now, like he said, they are identical. Exactly the same. Meaning the same sky, "reflections", weather appearance, the whole thing. PS2 also does not have dynamic shadows, only square shades of darkness under vehicles and bikes. So again, you are thinking it looks different when it really isn't.

You are asking for more of the same help when you already have the answers. It pisses me off when people like you are NEVER happy with what they have got, whether it be better or worse. There is honestly nothing from stopping you going back to the 'superior' ps2 version with all those effects you believe it has, despite the game not actually implementing them on that platform.

Mr. Kingpin
  • Mr. Kingpin

• Members

Posted 31 December 2010 - 08:09 AM

QUOTE (OverTheBelow @ Dec 31 2010, 07:42)
I 'helped' by invalidating your point about "the PS2 reflection on cars are pretty intense." in which you believed the specular is any different when compared to PC. Which it isn't.

so in order to have the exact PS2 sky, do I have to change the Timecyc.dat manually cause there's a little tool for that

If you even paid any attention to Dexx's posts, you would know that now you'd be changing the timecyc so that it is different to PS2. Right now, like he said, they are identical. Exactly the same. Meaning the same sky, "reflections", weather appearance, the whole thing. PS2 also does not have dynamic shadows, only square shades of darkness under vehicles and bikes. So again, you are thinking it looks different when it really isn't.

You are asking for more of the same help when you already have the answers. It pisses me off when people like you are NEVER happy with what they have got, whether it be better or worse. There is honestly nothing from stopping you going back to the 'superior' ps2 version with all those effects you believe it has, despite the game not actually implementing them on that platform.

Ha Ha okay partner. I guess I put a conclusion to this topic right about now. I got what I could possibly get.

TheSiggi
  • TheSiggi

Surgeon

• Members

Posted 31 December 2010 - 10:19 AM

Sorry for not realy helping you out, but I want to request whether you ca upload the PS2 timecyc.dat to mediafire or somewhere else and post the link? I'd like to study the actuall differences between this one and the one coming with the pc version of the game

cheers

Mr Scratch
  • Mr Scratch

Sly Bastard

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 31 December 2010 - 03:14 PM Edited by VF94, 31 December 2010 - 03:29 PM.

There are no differences between the timecyc's ,the PS2 version simply has more blur added to it to mask the short draw distance so does VCS so if you want blur which will make it look similar you need this LINK .And as for the reflections those are hardcoded into the games executable

user posted image
user posted image
user posted image

DexX
  • DexX

Black Hat

• Feroci Racing

Posted 31 December 2010 - 08:11 PM

There are no differences between the timecyc's

Yes there are, observable to anyone who has access to the files from both versions of the game. A summary of differences found so far follows.

Differences between timecyc.dat and timecycp.dat on the PS2:
timecycp.dat has amb_obj for 10pm set to 163 163 163
timecyc.dat has amb_obj for 10pm set to 143 143 143

On the pc, the file "timecycp.dat" is identical to the ps2 file "timecyc.dat"
However, the PC file "timecyc.dat", which is actually used by the game, has a number of noticable differences. Differences observed so far:
-At the end of each line in the "timecycp.dat" file, there is an extra value that is always "1.0". This controls the intensity of the sunlight. This value is not present on the PC "timecyc.dat", and as a result many objects ingame are incorrectly lit.
-for "RAINY_COUNTRYSIDE" at 8pm, the Amb color is incomplete, the green and blue channels are simply not listed. The entry reads "255". In every other timecyc file, this entry reads "22 22 22".
-The "Alpha1" and "Alpha2" entries are 255 on the PC, on the PS2 these are set to 127, resulting in a visual difference in the blur/brightness between versions.

There may actually be more, but this is all i have observed so far. The lack of a value for the sunlight is by far the biggest difference.

OverTheBelow
  • OverTheBelow

OTB "Oaty-Bee"

• Zaibatsu

Posted 31 December 2010 - 08:40 PM

QUOTE (The_Siggi @ Dec 31 2010, 10:19)
Sorry for not realy helping you out, but I want to request whether you ca upload the PS2 timecyc.dat to mediafire or somewhere else and post the link? I'd like to study the actuall differences between this one and the one coming with the pc version of the game

cheers

"timecyp.dat" (not typo) is the PS2's timecyc and it's located in the "data" folder in the root of any GTA SA PC version installation. wink.gif

Mr Scratch
  • Mr Scratch

Sly Bastard

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 31 December 2010 - 08:56 PM

Hmm i have the ps2 files and added the timecyc and timecycp and there was a difference in how the sun cast over objects but to be honest i didn't actually open the timecyc to see it's values so what i said in that post is not valid ,however im sure the PS2 version has blur and i would like to ask you Dexx what values does it have?

Mr. Kingpin
  • Mr. Kingpin

• Members

Posted 31 December 2010 - 09:30 PM Edited by Mr. Kingpin, 31 December 2010 - 09:33 PM.

Thanks VF94 and DexX for everything.

now, VF94, in the pictures you showed in your post, you can see with your own eyes that the sky is a little different. And also if you seen all the pictures on Gamespot or anywhere of the PS2 version, you'll see that there's a sweet orange-red sky. Even in the pictures you've uploaded, you can see that the sky is a little greenish and I'm not sure if it is because of the blurriness. And the whole environment on the PS2 version is so hardly affected by the sun and the sky which apparently is not in PC version. Do you know of a way to have the very similar reflection from PS2 to PC?

DexX, in the PS2 version, when you look at the sun, the glow of sun is so huge that it almost covers the whole screen user posted image

and here's some other screenshots of the sky and environment and shadow etc. which is NOT in the PC timecyc.dat OR timecycp.dat and It doesn't look like any blurriness was added or changed.
But again let me know it does.

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

Notice the environment is a little red
user posted image

user posted image

Notice that all the pictures were captured from a YouTube video that's why it isn't high quality.

also, notice the sky is much different

Mr Scratch
  • Mr Scratch

Sly Bastard

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 31 December 2010 - 09:36 PM

Ah yes the infamous orange hue of Los Santos ,anyways do you have a yahoo,skype or msn id so we can talk properly?

Mr. Kingpin
  • Mr. Kingpin

• Members

Posted 31 December 2010 - 09:57 PM

QUOTE (VF94 @ Dec 31 2010, 21:36)
Ah yes the infamous orange hue of Los Santos ,anyways do you have a yahoo,skype or msn id so we can talk properly?

Not currently but I'll make one and PM you.

GTASanAndreas12345
  • GTASanAndreas12345

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 01 January 2011 - 07:51 AM

QUOTE (DexX @ Dec 30 2010, 22:34)
You asked this in the other topic, i'll just answer it here;
so, is there any way to have the PS2 timecyc in the PC version?

Yes, to a limited extent. You could copy the timecyc.dat from the ps2 disc to your pc game, and the game will read it. But there's an even simpler solution than that - the file "timecycp.dat" on the pc is *identical* to the ps2 timecyc.dat file. So simply backup your original "timecyc.dat" file, make a copy of the "timecycp.dat" file, and rename it to "timecyc.dat", and you'll be set.

The reflections on the vehicles won't be any different, but you will get the ps2 sky, environment, lighting, etc. The PS2 lighting is superior. For one thing, the ps2 sun actually works;
user posted image

You'll notice it on peds, some vehicles, weapons, cutscenes, etc. For the reflections, bloom etc, that's a change in the exe ("system") and you'll need enb, sagfx, or another advanced gfx mod to change them.

Another pic;
http://www.3dhole.co...pics/sunlit.JPG
The super GT and trailer are actually lit now, along with CJ, his gun, the ped on the bike, etc.

In fact, the PS2's timecyc(p).dat is the same as the timecyc.dat in the PC version. I've gone through all the data in both of them and they're exactly the same, apart from the fact that in the PS2 the draw distance is less.

Mr. Kingpin
  • Mr. Kingpin

• Members

Posted 01 January 2011 - 07:52 AM

Yes well the case is finished. You can keep this topic alive but for me it's done.

GTASanAndreas12345
  • GTASanAndreas12345

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 02 January 2011 - 06:41 AM

QUOTE (The_Siggi @ Dec 31 2010, 10:19)

cheers

Will you people ever understand that there are no differences between the PS2's and PC's timecyc.dat? And why do you want to have the PS2's graphics on the PC, when the PS2's graphics are worse anyway?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users