Photo

The driver

28 replies to this topic
superfly41
  • superfly41

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 27 December 2010 - 08:18 PM

I've watched all the tutorials about the driver mission and the general consensus is its purely luck if you win or lose(ain't that the truth!)I heard you don't need to pass this mission to fininsh the game. Is this true? cause there are not any mpore mission I can find beyond this one???? any suggestions? mercie_blink.gif

Mati
  • Mati

f*ck the planet till it spins on a broken axis

• BUSTED!

Posted 27 December 2010 - 08:21 PM

Uhm... you mean the driver from GTA Vice City, right? If yes, you can better ask here I guess. And yes, you have to complete it bored.gif

Ryan
  • Ryan

Ginga Ninja

• Canada
  • Best Forum Ledby 2011
    Best Forum Ledby 2010
    GTANet Contribution Award
    GTANet Helpfulness Award

Posted 27 December 2010 - 08:27 PM

Moved to GTA Vice City>Gameplay.

Germaniac_84
  • Germaniac_84

Relax....Don't Do it!

• BUSTED!

Posted 28 December 2010 - 12:45 AM Edited by Germaniac_84, 28 December 2010 - 12:53 AM.

QUOTE (superfly41 @ Dec 27 2010, 20:18)
I've watched all the tutorials about the driver mission and the general consensus is its purely luck if you win or lose(ain't that the truth!)I heard you don't need to pass this mission to fininsh the game. Is this true? cause there are not any mpore mission I can find beyond this one???? any suggestions? mercie_blink.gif

Okay, the first thing you can do is dump that piece of sh*t Sentinel they give you when you start. Make sure you ram Hilary off the road and he crashes into something, that way you have sufficient time to steal yourself a suitable vehicle. The second thing you can do is use every crash Hilary makes to your advantage. Hilary is programmed to crash at least twice during the race, he will usually tend to crash into the flowerpots near the Pole Position strip club. As soon as he crashes make sure to go as fast as possible and drive as carefully as you can that way you can gain the upper hand in the race and win. In order to complete VC you need to have a certain percentage of assets completed, in this case the Malibu counts for a large percentage. So unless you've completed all the other asset and storyline missions there are in fact more missions after "The Job" which is the mission proceeding this one. I sincerely hope this helps and if you have anymore mission related questions then please don't hesitate to ask.

F4L?
  • F4L?

Well I'm sorry, Princess.

• Members
  • None

Posted 28 December 2010 - 12:59 AM

I did it just by trying it like 5 times and i got it, once you know the track off by heart you know exactly how to do it, persistence is the key, oine of the only really challenging missions on vice.

superfly41
  • superfly41

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 28 December 2010 - 07:40 PM

QUOTE (Germaniac_84 @ Dec 28 2010, 00:45)

Okay, the first thing you can do is dump that piece of sh*t Sentinel they give you when you start. Make sure you ram Hilary off the road and he crashes into something, that way you have sufficient time to steal yourself a suitable vehicle. The second thing you can do is use every crash Hilary makes to your advantage. Hilary is programmed to crash at least twice during the race, he will usually tend to crash into the flowerpots near the Pole Position strip club. As soon as he crashes make sure to go as fast as possible and drive as carefully as you can that way you can gain the upper hand in the race and win. In order to complete VC you need to have a certain percentage of assets completed, in this case the Malibu counts for a large percentage. So unless you've completed all the other asset and storyline missions there are in fact more missions after "The Job" which is the mission proceeding this one. I sincerely hope this helps and if you have anymore mission related questions then please don't hesitate to ask.

Thanx for yer help> I've made at least 200 attempts at crackin' thisd mission w/ no luck at all. I've tried all the strategies people have suggested but to no avail?!? suicidal.gif

Germaniac_84
  • Germaniac_84

Relax....Don't Do it!

• BUSTED!

Posted 28 December 2010 - 11:28 PM

QUOTE (superfly41 @ Dec 28 2010, 19:40)

Thanx for yer help> I've made at least 200 attempts at crackin' thisd mission w/ no luck at all. I've tried all the strategies people have suggested but to no avail?!? suicidal.gif

No problem, let me know how it all works out.

superfly41
  • superfly41

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 28 December 2010 - 11:49 PM

QUOTE (Germaniac_84 @ Dec 28 2010, 23:28)
QUOTE (superfly41 @ Dec 28 2010, 19:40)

No problem, let me know how it all works out.

Still no luck!!! I tried save and play do you or anyone else no if that really works and how long it takes? confused.gif

Spuds725
  • Spuds725

Party Animal

• United-States
  • Contribution Award [GTAF]

Posted 29 December 2010 - 02:56 AM

First-- to get the "end Missions" you do not need to complete the malibu club missions... although there are 4 of them... each of the assets count the same amount so while the malibu club has 4 missions... it counts the same as ones with just one task to do....

to get the final missions you need....

1. Printworks completed...
2. Vercetti missions completed...
3. ANY other 5 businesses completed... since there are 8 you can skip any 2 and still get the final missions unlocked....

Now back to "the driver"... my first time through the game--- I sucked at driving and could not pass it after about 10 tries or so.... my method was to get 3 stars prior to starting the mission... just go on a killing spree in the malibu right before entering the pink marker... with 3 stars the cops will lay down road spikes... these will pop hillary's tires and he will take next to forever to complete the race... meanwhile... the cops WILL come after you pretty hard... it took me 3 cars and nearly 5 minutes to get through the entire race but I passed it and never saw Hillary after he hit the first set of tire spikes...

Later I learned you can swap cars--- so this method works well... get your fast car of preference.... you can't park it at the malibu club.. it will disappear... Park it at the first stop light south of the malibu club-- park it so the drivers door is next to the light pole on the left (facing south) and get out... move away from the vehicle as soon as you get out-- Tommy will exit on the passenger side and if you move away the door will stay open.... this will help keep the car from disappearing....and save you time in switching cars.... do not get into another vehicle.... run to the malibu and start the race....

Drive to the car you parked and get out and swap cars... using a fast car like the hot ring racer I will usually pass up hillary right after the first turn ( a hard left turn)... and leave him in the dust.... I've used a motor cycle for this race too-- I'm not sure if I've ever even passed this race with the sentinel....

This is the apparent world record for the race... it was done by utilizing the "super angel"-- this is the angel with perfect handling and increased acceleration you can get from the mission "alloy wheels of steel"-- just jack one of the other racers bikes... you cannot save this bike or it will lose its special properties but as long as you don't pass that race, you can get it and use for any road race...

HTH...

smallyfish
  • smallyfish

Player Hater

• BUSTED!

Posted 31 December 2010 - 06:03 AM

Really not sure of that.

superfly41
  • superfly41

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 02 January 2011 - 04:03 AM

So I passed the driver and am now at the final mission any suggestions on this one its tougher than the driver!

MME_1999
  • MME_1999

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 14 January 2011 - 05:49 AM Edited by MME_1999, 14 January 2011 - 10:52 AM.

[B] turn.gif This one is easy just before getting to the mission take alot of weapons as you can maybe 500-100 of the R.P.D and alot of ammo to an SMG and an M4 with the heavy pistol and have a sudden attackon the mainson when you go to kill Lance hide & kill But not behind the barrels kill lance first the then gangs then get down with care OH i forgot lance is on the roof so you have to get there carefully & return carefully kill some of the gangs but make sure you have a hide near you because they are professional in aiming then you the last man use the R.P.D to kill him will you are near the office .
Thats all I hope you can do it. rampage_ani.gif

Raptomex
  • Raptomex

Listen to Slayer

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 21 January 2011 - 08:07 AM

That mission was a pain in the ass when I first started playing it. You can win with the sentinel but yeah you need to ram him off the road whenever he gets close.

Tashan
  • Tashan

Li'l G Loc

• BUSTED!

Posted 22 January 2011 - 08:16 AM

BEst trick ever is to do PIT maneover technique and turn hilarys car into the multistorey car parking. There is a video on youtube to explain this technique. It worked for me and now it seems like cakewalk to pass this mission.

No car changing hassles just a neat trick to win this race!!!

Try it!

namor
  • namor

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 07 July 2011 - 05:05 PM

My GOD!!!! I hated this mission, I really, really did. Out of all the races in the five GTAs on PS2, this one still gives me road rage in my sleep.

I found that changing the car never worked for me, Hilary was always too far ahead and I still kept crashing trying to catch him up.

Spinning him out got me ahead some of the time, but then again, I couldn't help crashing at some point and he won.

I saw a clip on YouTube a while ago, which (eventually) worked, where I spun out Hilary into the entrance of the multistorey car park with the winding ramp. Bottled him in, got out of the car and popped all four of his tyres with the M16. he still managed to get out of the garage before me, but was spinning all over the shop that I could take my time to pass him. I think it's the same clip shrekdj saw.

It took me about 100+ tries before I did it, though. The trick with the 3 star wanted level looks as if it might work well too.

Nukey Shay
  • Nukey Shay

Trick

• Members

Posted 08 July 2011 - 10:57 PM

There is nothing to "The Driver". Hillary is pretty terrible when faced with oncoming traffic...so stay just behind him and let HIM deal with the police traps. The grass patch just North of Malibu virtually ensures your easy lead at the end if you keep just behind during the rest of the race.

If you really want to make it a cakewalk, park a PCJ600 (the "Super Angel" mentioned up top is even better) on the clothes icon at Raphaels. Go start the mission on foot to retain it in memory. When you get there during the race, trading up clears your wanted level and morphs you onto the bike...meaning you won't be knocked off if you accidentally hit something. Weaving though traffic is a cinch when you have no worries smile.gif

namor
  • namor

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 15 July 2011 - 03:18 PM

trading up clears your wanted level and morphs you onto the bike...meaning you won't be knocked off if you accidentally hit something

That's really useful to know. I tried changing to a PCJ before, but always crashed and fell off. Playing through VC again so I'll try it this time around. It's the one mission I wasn't looking forward to doing again.

ABOOTH664
  • ABOOTH664

GTA Gamer

• Members

Posted 19 July 2011 - 08:58 AM

OK FIRST THINGS FIRST, GET A FAST CAR (CAR OF YOUR CHOICE) AND PARK IT BESIDE THE RAMP TO THE RIGHT BUT MAKE SURE IT IS ON THE FOOTPATH OR ON THE ROAD. AT THE START OF THE RACE TRY AND P.I.T MANOUVRE HILARY OR JUST MAKE HIM CRASH. THEN QUICKLY GET IN THE CAR YOU HAVE CHOSEN AND SPEED ON. HILARY IS DESIGNED TO CRASH AT LEAST 2 TIMES IN THIS MISSION. I HAD A LOT OF BOTHER WITH THIS MISSION BUT THIS TACTIC WORKED VERY WELL FOR ME.

HOPE THIS HELPED.

ANDY.

LittleBlueTroll
  • LittleBlueTroll

★★★★

• Leone Family Mafia
  • England

Posted 19 July 2011 - 03:26 PM

Jesus i remember this level, i hated it soooo much lol totally forgot about this!
I must of tried every trick in the book when i was attempting this

drr26
  • drr26

"he don't talk too much"

• Members
  • England

Posted 06 August 2011 - 08:12 PM

Dunno if anyone has posted this before, but this is the only way I could finish this mission:

Before you go to the malibu club, park a banshee, cheetah, pheonix, comet or infernus by the bridge near the ramp & police station, facing the direction that the race heads.

Start the mission, then swap the crappy sentinal for the sports car when you reach the bridge, don't worry about hilary gaining a lead, you will catch him up & beat him as long as you don't crash alot. You don't even need to try & take him out either

Nukey Shay
  • Nukey Shay

Trick

• Members

Posted 06 August 2011 - 08:57 PM Edited by Nukey Shay, 06 August 2011 - 09:54 PM.

When using the "change to a faster vehicle" method, IMO it's better to park it near or on the clothing icon at Raphael's instead so you don't even have to police to deal with wink.gif I prefer a PCJ600 to make weaving thru traffic easier. Hillary will be slowing down there to take the corner anyway...so catching up to him after the swap is no problem at all. Be sure to go on foot toward the camera to start the mission to minimise the risk of vehicle deletion...and you can park as far away as you want.

namor
  • namor

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 12 August 2011 - 02:21 AM

I recently re-played Vice City in its entirety for the third time.

The easy way to beat "The Driver" is to use the slo-motion cheat. I tried this for the first time and beat Hilary with time to spare. Using the slo-mo cheat just enabled me to react in time to the turns and avoid any collisions with oncoming traffic or obstacles.

This mission is a pain, the worst in the game, and it took me more than 100 attempts to beat it the first time I played it. To beat it without using the cheat, you have to spin Hilary into the high-rise car park, follow him in, bottle him up with your vehicle, exit it and pop all his tyres with the M16. After that, even if he does get out of the car park before you and get a head start, it's easy to overtake him and finish far ahead.

TommyMan
  • TommyMan

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 06 November 2011 - 03:31 PM Edited by TommyMan, 08 November 2011 - 04:57 PM.

Bad Girls
  • Bad Girls

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 11 November 2011 - 08:56 PM

This mission nearly made me cry. I completed it by quickly spawning a Hotring Racer at the start of the race, though, I know.. naughty.. using cheats.

I tried all sorts of stuff, though, like spawning loads of tanks and placing them near the end of the race only to find they'd disappear (memory dumped) letting Hilary get through. Apparently, in the PC version at least, you can code Hilary's car to go the speed of a coach, so you can easily beat him, although I never did that.

zooty2
  • zooty2

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 17 March 2012 - 05:13 AM

This mission stalled out the game for me. Best I could do was swapping to the comet. Was ahead of Hillary, approaching the end when some dufus swings his car in front of me and I'm upside down and on fire. In the end, I fired up handling.cfg and put a little grease on Hillary's wheels (a little more sporting than dropping his max speed to 5mph). I'll go back and complete the mission when wasting a day doesn't feel like wasting a day.

MrDanceWithLance
  • MrDanceWithLance

Prankster

• Members

Posted 21 March 2012 - 09:41 AM

The Driver has got to be the hardest mission to complete in GTA Vice City. It took me at least 100 tries before I completed it without resorting to cheats. For people who are not afraid to cheat, here is how to complete The Driver:

After the three second countdown begins, get out of the Sentinel and spawn a Sabre Turbo or Hotring Racer. Use your new spawned vehicle to complete the race. Mission Passed.

A2 MFK
  • A2 MFK

All you had to do was follow the DAMN train CJ!

• Members

Posted 04 May 2012 - 03:34 PM

Yeah, evil mission isn't it? confused.gif
What worked for me was ramming him before passing the Vice police station, if you can get him stuck it can win you 5-10 seconds of lead, which really makes a difference.

Joni2030
  • Joni2030

Prankster

• Members

Posted 12 May 2012 - 11:56 AM

You dont need to change car you can win the race too with the sentinel i did it like that i didnt change any car i just drive and i had to try only 2 time

Dr Kain
  • Dr Kain

Hustler

• Members

Posted 13 May 2012 - 05:43 PM

I have to say, I was dreading this mission when I was replaying the game last month and ended up beating it on my first try. I do not know how I did either, but I did.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users