So You Want To Make A DLC?

272 replies to this topic
Akavari
  • Akavari

Gangsta

• Members
  • None

Posted 23 February 2011 - 12:40 AM

QUOTE (Money Over Bullsh*t @ Feb 23 2011, 00:35)
QUOTE (akavari112 @ Feb 23 2011, 00:21)
QUOTE (LuisBellic @ Feb 23 2011, 00:20)
QUOTE (Money Over Bullsh*t @ Feb 22 2011, 23:48)
I like how this topic has turned into kind of a sounding board for DLC ideas it's kinda cool.  smile.gif

Yeah. Maybe we can add ideas for III era dlc's here aswell.

If you guys can come up with things I'll add them. I don't really understand a III-era DLC because those games are so old and LCS/VCS fill the void anyway.

There is as much chance of Rockstar making a DLC for the III era than there is of them making one for the IV era (which a lot of concepts here, including mine are based on) so I say yes people should discuss their III era ideas here. As far as a list of possible characters like the one you have for IV goes though.. it could get VERY long.

People should definitely discuss III-era ideas in here, I'm just saying I don't personally advocate the concepts. Therefore I'm not really interested in researching the dozens of characters that could be used as protagonists in a III-era DLC. You guys will need to help me out with making a list for it.

Also, I built the op around the idea of IV-era DLCs so some of the stuff I wrote won't really apply to III-era DLCs. confused.gif

LuisBellic
  • LuisBellic

8 Balls

• Members

Posted 23 February 2011 - 12:54 AM

Here's some III-Era characters that I think could work good.

III
Chico

San Andreas
Guppy(Or one of the unnamed triads in Breaking The Bank At Caligulas)

Tyla
  • Tyla

Playing It Cool

• Members
  • United-Kingdom
  • Best Concept Story 2014
    Contribution Award [Concepts]

Posted 23 February 2011 - 12:16 PM

QUOTE (LuisBellic @ Feb 23 2011, 00:54)

III
Chico

San Andreas

I'm surprised no one has ever chosen Leo Teal as a protagonist for a III era Vice City thread. Connections to the Cubans, connections to Diaz... and he f*cked up Tommy's deal. If I ever revisited Vice City, I'd want to play as him. Hell, I might even have a crack at that sometime.

I've always liked this guy aswell, one of Diaz's bodyguards and later a part of Vercetti's Gang. Nicknamed him 'Ernie' like the Scarface character. Maybe he's someone that could take over the story when Teal bites the bullet and show just how Tommy came to power and the reasons for doing so?

LuisBellic
  • LuisBellic

8 Balls

• Members

Posted 23 February 2011 - 11:10 PM

QUOTE (Tyla @ Feb 23 2011, 12:16)

III
Chico

San Andreas

I'm surprised no one has ever chosen Leo Teal as a protagonist for a III era Vice City thread. Connections to the Cubans, connections to Diaz... and he f*cked up Tommy's deal. If I ever revisited Vice City, I'd want to play as him. Hell, I might even have a crack at that sometime.

I've always liked this guy aswell, one of Diaz's bodyguards and later a part of Vercetti's Gang. Nicknamed him 'Ernie' like the Scarface character. Maybe he's someone that could take over the story when Teal bites the bullet and show just how Tommy came to power and the reasons for doing so?

But he get's killed

Docfaustino
  • Docfaustino

Snarls Barkley

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 24 February 2011 - 12:23 AM

I've read your argument against it, but I'd still like to recommend the enraged Triad from This sh*t's Cursed, also from Chinese Takeout. Would make for a crossover made in heaven. He's the guy who demands a liquor license from Tony, and the heroin from Johnny and Jim. Same location within the same five minutes with the exact same outfit has led me to believe that he is the same character, only graphically updated in TBOGT, much like Ray Bulgarin was.

Also. my I recommend a section on crossovers involving gangs? E.g, Johnny crosses over with Roman via the Faustin Family. Does that make sense? Organized crime subculture is complex and difficult to write.

LuisBellic
  • LuisBellic

8 Balls

• Members

Posted 24 February 2011 - 01:35 AM

QUOTE (Pedochu @ Feb 24 2011, 00:23)
I've read your argument against it, but I'd still like to recommend the enraged Triad from This sh*t's Cursed, also from Chinese Takeout. Would make for a crossover made in heaven. He's the guy who demands a liquor license from Tony, and the heroin from Johnny and Jim. Same location within the same five minutes with the exact same outfit has led me to believe that he is the same character, only graphically updated in TBOGT, much like Ray Bulgarin was.

Also. my I recommend a section on crossovers involving gangs? E.g, Johnny crosses over with Roman via the Faustin Family. Does that make sense? Organized crime subculture is complex and difficult to write.

I think that could work. I would like to see that Triad's involvment with Rocco. But he seem's more like a mission giver. I think one of his unnamed guy's with him would work out better.

Tyla
  • Tyla

Playing It Cool

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 24 February 2011 - 02:26 AM

QUOTE (LuisBellic @ Feb 23 2011, 23:10)

III
Chico

San Andreas

But he get's killed

Vic Vance was killed in the opening cutscene, but that didn't stop anybody making a game about him.

If a story were to follow Teal previous to the arrival of Tommy Vercetti and explore the events surrounding how the Forellis orchestrated the deal and who actually screwed who over, enough could be squeezed out of the chef to merit his own leading role.

Having him lashed to death at the hands of Vercetti would be a lovely little turn, an excellent shift in the story. One minute you're dying in an Ocean Beach back alley and the next, you're in the shoes of the Diaz bodyguard learning how Tommy rose to power behind the scenes. It would answer questions. A lot more questions than a lot of these random names being thrown around in here.

Akavari
  • Akavari

Gangsta

• Members
  • None

Posted 24 February 2011 - 02:40 AM

QUOTE (Tyla @ Feb 24 2011, 02:26)

III
Chico

San Andreas

But he get's killed

Vic Vance was killed in the opening cutscene, but that didn't stop anybody making a game about him.

If a story were to follow Teal previous to the arrival of Tommy Vercetti and explore the events surrounding how the Forellis orchestrated the deal and who actually screwed who over, enough could be squeezed out of the chef to merit his own leading role.

Having him lashed to death at the hands of Vercetti would be a lovely little turn, an excellent shift in the story. One minute you're dying in an Ocean Beach back alley and the next, you're in the shoes of the Diaz bodyguard learning how Tommy rose to power behind the scenes. It would answer questions. A lot more questions than a lot of these random names being thrown around in here.

Not everyone has the creativity and cleverness you have when it comes to making stories and understanding characters. confused.gif

LuisBellic
  • LuisBellic

8 Balls

• Members

Posted 24 February 2011 - 03:00 AM Edited by LuisBellic, 24 February 2011 - 03:04 AM.

III
Chico

San Andreas

But he get's killed

Maybe he could survive the attack from Tommy and stay in the hospital for a while. He was only beat up and knocked out I dont think he died.

Docfaustino
  • Docfaustino

Snarls Barkley

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 24 February 2011 - 03:42 AM

QUOTE (LuisBellic @ Feb 24 2011, 01:35)
QUOTE (Pedochu @ Feb 24 2011, 00:23)

I think that could work. I would like to see that Triad's involvment with Rocco. But he seem's more like a mission giver. I think one of his unnamed guy's with him would work out better.

One of the unnamed guys? Now that you mention it that could work great. I'd like to hear your logic, though. Everyone's, really. What marks the difference between a potential protagonist and a potential mission giver?

Tyla
  • Tyla

Playing It Cool

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 24 February 2011 - 04:06 AM

QUOTE (LuisBellic @ Feb 24 2011, 03:00)

III
Chico

San Andreas

But he get's killed

Maybe he could survive the attack from Tommy and stay in the hospital for a while. He was only beat up and knocked out I dont think he died.

Leo has to go I'm afraid. I'm pretty sure he's dead - if Vice City didn't convince you, I'll make sure I do.

I'll look into piecing a story together over the weekend if you guys are interested in putting a spotlight on some III era characters in here. I'm tempted by the idea, I must admit, if not only to revisit Vice City again but to do a VC version of 'The Introduction'.

Akavari
  • Akavari

Gangsta

• Members
  • None

Posted 24 February 2011 - 04:13 AM

QUOTE (Tyla @ Feb 24 2011, 04:06)
QUOTE (LuisBellic @ Feb 24 2011, 03:00)

III
Chico

San Andreas

But he get's killed

Leo has to go I'm afraid. I'm pretty sure he's dead - if Vice City didn't convince you, I'll make sure I do.

I'll look into piecing a story together over the weekend if you guys are interested in putting a spotlight on some III era characters in here. I'm tempted by the idea, I must admit, if not only to revisit Vice City again but to do a VC version of 'The Introduction'.

A VC version of the Introduction would be brilliant, man. That way you could satisfy the plot points of the idea without having to do all the work of making it a fun game idea.

Money Over Bullshit
  • Money Over Bullshit

The Visionary

• Members
  • None
  • Contribution Award [Concepts]
    Most Knowledgeable [GTA Series] 2010
    Best Concept Story 2010 "The Code of The Streets"

Posted 24 February 2011 - 11:36 AM

QUOTE (Tyla @ Feb 24 2011, 04:06)

QUOTE (akavari112 @ Feb 24 2011, 04:13)
A VC version of the Introduction would be brilliant, man. That way you could satisfy the plot points of the idea without having to do all the work of making it a fun game idea.

I dont understand.. Would it be a Machinima, a story or a full blown concept thread??

Tyla
  • Tyla

Playing It Cool

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 25 February 2011 - 04:14 AM

Termed as a story, I would think. I would want to intercut events surrounding the plot holes of VC while also doling out missions relevant to events that were mentioned or happened during the game's time line. Sort of like the crossovers I'd imagine, yet formed around showing the rise of Tommy Vercetti from perspectives of others.

The first part of the story surrounds this man, Leo Teal. Leo is a hitman and is hired a number of times by people who need to get things done through the shadowy "Mr. Black". I'm thinking he could also get hired by Umberto Robina to put to sleep the Haitian warlord seen dead in 'Two Bit Hit', setting the tension between them and the Cubans in stone.

At the beginning of his story, Leo is hired for and given sketchy details about a drug deal he must jump, involving eradicating some 'out of towners'. He will be informed of further details when the date of the deal approaches, and will be part of a crew put together by Mr. Black to make sure this deal does not happen.

When Leo is inevitably killed by Tommy Vercetti, the story changes to the perspective of this man, who we will call Edgar Estevez (?). Edgar is one of two main bodyguards for Ricardo Diaz that form his main guard. Playing as him involves exploring the plot line of the missing money and drugs further, how Tommy forced his plans of taking over into action and how Edgar and Mike (goon from Cop Land) came to join the Vercetti Gang. When the Vercettis are established, the two men work more closely with Lance Vance than they do Tommy, exploring Lance's feelings and how he became disillusioned enough with Vercetti to turn on him to Sonny Forelli, whilst also being ruthless enough to setup anyone close to him.

What do you guys think so far? VC worth the squeeze?

IvoryX
  • IvoryX

Mack Pimp

• Members
  • None

Posted 25 February 2011 - 09:57 AM

Absolutely cookie.gif

Tyla
  • Tyla

Playing It Cool

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 25 February 2011 - 11:01 AM

I've been thinking that the plot of VC would trace back to these three guys:

user posted image

The formal name of the man to the left is unknown, and I'm going to tag him as Eugene. More on him later.

The tall man in the middle is actually the leader of the Sharks. I've only just figured this out - he actually calls Tommy thinking he's Leo and speaks about 'Diaz's merchandise', and is eventually killed in Phnom Penh '86 with Tommy recovering some 'stolen money'.

Leo Teal is on the right, with the Assault Rifle.

One of the main plot points would be that Eugene would come to represent 'the drugs' and the Sharks leader would represent 'the money'. These are supposed to be handed to Diaz, as ordered by Mr. Black. Leo is killed before he can make a move, throwing the other two men into chaos. The leader of the Sharks steals a percentage of Tommy's money hoping Diaz doesn't notice, and Eugene plans on offloading the Vance's cocaine to some dealers. Both the drugs and the money would be recovered by people other than Tommy leaving them unable to be reclaimed - forcing him to build an empire on the back of Diaz's not only out of sheer quest for power but as a defence against Sonny Forelli aswell.

Sounds confusing, right? I've wanted to find out how VC works for years!

IvoryX
  • IvoryX

Mack Pimp

• Members
  • None

Posted 25 February 2011 - 11:07 AM

Now I'm pissed off a little bit I took Pepe Robina instead of one of these guys in my VC DLC confused.gif

Docfaustino
  • Docfaustino

Snarls Barkley

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 25 February 2011 - 05:11 PM

Hey DLC-ers.

What kind of storyline character could you see Sergei from Comrades bar becoming? And Papi Ortiz?

Akavari
  • Akavari

Gangsta

• Members
  • None

Posted 25 February 2011 - 07:52 PM

QUOTE (Pedochu @ Feb 25 2011, 17:11)
Hey DLC-ers.

What kind of storyline character could you see Sergei from Comrades bar becoming? And Papi Ortiz?

Well Sergei looks like he could work for Vlad and the Faustins even. You might want to think about that though because TLWP's concept is very similar to that. Papi's last name isn't Ortiz either, you probably just got that from my concept. Anyways Papi seems like a good protagonist too, we don't know much about him or even his legitimate name so it leaves a lot of room for creativity. He is probably a Dominican dealer or a Spanish lord or something like that.

Docfaustino
  • Docfaustino

Snarls Barkley

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 25 February 2011 - 10:12 PM

Oh, I guess that's where I read it! Great admiration for your thread.

I'm writing Sergei in to my DLC as a real eccentric, not the most lovable guy, but not the protagonist. He seems more like an business associate of the Faustin Family to me than your run of the mill soldier, so I'm sort of writing him as a guy who needs backing from a family, but doesn't need to cling to them. To be honest right now he's sort of the LJ or Yusuf of the game, the eccentric family friend. Does this sound believable to anyone?

Akavari
  • Akavari

Gangsta

• Members
  • None

Posted 25 February 2011 - 10:15 PM

QUOTE (Pedochu @ Feb 25 2011, 22:12)
Oh, I guess that's where I read it! Great admiration for your thread.

I'm writing Sergei in to my DLC as a real eccentric, not the most lovable guy, but not the protagonist. He seems more like an business associate of the Faustin Family to me than your run of the mill soldier, so I'm sort of writing him as a guy who needs backing from a family, but doesn't need to cling to them. To be honest right now he's sort of the LJ or Yusuf of the game, the eccentric family friend. Does this sound believable to anyone?

So who will your DLC focus on? If you need any help making this concept ask us "DLC-ers"

LuisBellic
  • LuisBellic

8 Balls

• Members

Posted 27 February 2011 - 10:57 PM

QUOTE (Peduchou)
Hey DLC-ers.

I think if there was one about him it would probaly be about Sergei working with Vlad and maybe the Faustins like akavari said said. I actually made a DLC about Sergei(from the bar) once on word when I was bored. Im probaly not gonna post it on here. I just did it because there wasn't really nothing else to do.

Docfaustino
  • Docfaustino

Snarls Barkley

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 28 February 2011 - 03:58 AM Edited by Pedochu, 28 February 2011 - 04:01 AM.

Would be interesting to read it, but yeah, I understand how one could become bored. You could take the story in any direction, but at the same time there's nothing to go off of.

user posted image

I'm using this guy, another extra from Comrade's bar, whom would have the same problem as Sergei. But as an Albanian, he can fill the void of driving force behind the Albanian's actions in IV (funeral shootout in Undertaker, attempted hijacking in Babysitting).

There's almost a whole science behind picking a protagonist, no?

Akavari
  • Akavari

Gangsta

• Members
  • None

Posted 28 February 2011 - 04:33 AM

QUOTE (Pedochu @ Feb 28 2011, 03:58)
Would be interesting to read it, but yeah, I understand how one could become bored. You could take the story in any direction, but at the same time there's nothing to go off of.

user posted image

I'm using this guy, another extra from Comrade's bar, whom would have the same problem as Sergei. But as an Albanian, he can fill the void of driving force behind the Albanian's actions in IV (funeral shootout in Undertaker, attempted hijacking in Babysitting).

There's almost a whole science behind picking a protagonist, no?

So you're making a new character? I guess you have to if you want to do an Albanian story. Good luck, hope to see you post the idea soon.

Tyla
  • Tyla

Playing It Cool

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 28 February 2011 - 04:52 PM

Been thinking about moulding Leo Teal into more of a mercenary descending from Lebanon, involved in numerous Phalangist massacres in the late 1970s and early 1980s. 'Leo' is merely an alias, and he will be given a name of Arabic origin. 'Mr. Black' arranged for his Green Card and arranged for a cover jobs including interior decorating and working the kitchens of Ocean Beach, while 'Teal' completes numerous assassinations for him in Vice City, often of political motive. This, maybe, could be worked into some sort of relationship with Gonzales or Cortez, seen as both are military blokes, or perhaps even the French?

Thoughts?

Akavari
  • Akavari

Gangsta

• Members
  • None

Posted 28 February 2011 - 07:56 PM

QUOTE (Tyla @ Feb 28 2011, 16:52)
Been thinking about moulding Leo Teal into more of a mercenary descending from Lebanon, involved in numerous Phalangist massacres in the late 1970s and early 1980s. 'Leo' is merely an alias, and he will be given a name of Arabic origin. 'Mr. Black' arranged for his Green Card and arranged for a cover jobs including interior decorating and working the kitchens of Ocean Beach, while 'Teal' completes numerous assassinations for him in Vice City, often of political motive. This, maybe, could be worked into some sort of relationship with Gonzales or Cortez, seen as both are military blokes, or perhaps even the French?

Thoughts?

Lol it sounds like a real crime story. Maybe there could be some light shed on Pierre La Ponce, the missile guidance chips and the french GIGN. I feel like that scenario in itself could provide for a great plot.

Money Over Bullshit
  • Money Over Bullshit

The Visionary

• Members
  • None
  • Contribution Award [Concepts]
    Most Knowledgeable [GTA Series] 2010
    Best Concept Story 2010 "The Code of The Streets"

Posted 28 February 2011 - 09:01 PM

QUOTE (Tyla @ Feb 28 2011, 16:52)

Thoughts?

How will you address the gay relationship between Leo and Eugene??

Sam998
  • Sam998

Banned

• BUSTED!

Posted 01 March 2011 - 01:05 AM

I know Sergei is on the list but has anyone used him yet?

If someone mentioned this already, sorry but i kind of don't want to read 6 pages worth of forum..

Docfaustino
  • Docfaustino

Snarls Barkley

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 01 March 2011 - 01:07 AM

QUOTE (Sam998 @ Mar 1 2011, 01:05)

If someone mentioned this already, sorry but i kind of don't want to read 6 pages worth of forum..

Sergei "The Killer", i.e, the scary looking one, yes. The Lolwut Pear has a DLC on him. Sergei who hangs out at Comrade's, no. Though look at LuisBellic's post at the top of this page.

Sam998
  • Sam998

Banned

• BUSTED!

Posted 01 March 2011 - 01:09 AM

QUOTE (Pedochu @ Mar 1 2011, 01:07)
QUOTE (Sam998 @ Mar 1 2011, 01:05)

Sergei "The Killer", i.e, the scary looking one, yes. The Lolwut Pear has a DLC on him. Sergei who hangs out at Comrade's, no. Though look at LuisBellic's post at the top of this page.

Crap sad.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users