Hodgey.
  • Hodgey.

GTA III, VC, SA, LCS, VCS, IV, TLAD, TBoGT and V all 100%

• Members
  • England
  • Best Avatar 2012
    Winner of Euro 2012 Prediction League

Posted 13 March 2013 - 01:07 AM

I was looking at picking this up and after seeing what most people have said about the game here and in other reviews its something i am definetly going to buy at some point. I was never really a huge Tomb Raider fan before but played the games a little here and there. However i was never blown away by them and didnt really get into the storylines all that much.

My one question i would have though is if i did buy this (will wait for the price to drop first) would i understand the stroyline or would i have to go back and play the other games in the series?

FullMetal
  • FullMetal

Non-Retard

• Feroci Racing
  • None

Posted 13 March 2013 - 01:19 AM

Yes, 45% through the game and enjoying it a damn lot. But I can agree with most criticism said aswell in this topic.

Also, read somewhere that there are only 7 ish tombs to explore (which is nothing for a TOMB RAIDER). I hope there is more because I enjoy how they've done it.

Hopefully the ending is properly. So looking forward to a sequel that brings more of this... listens to what the major criticism was about the game and expand.

@ Hodgey1989: This is a reboot of the franchise... Lara Croft somewhat more "realistic" approach to her character. It's the story about how she became the famous Tomb Raider.

From girl to warrior woman...

Daz
  • Daz

Pirandello/Kruger

• Feroci Racing
  • None

Posted 13 March 2013 - 09:52 AM

Grabbed this for PC, and played with the X360 controller, sh*t looks so damn nice, better than anything I have ever seen on consoles and my PC is only budget, runs smooth as silk.

It really surprised me how good this was, it could have EASILY been super cliché and over the top and Lara could have been super whiney and annoying but it wasnt and she wasnt.

Overall they really did a good job of keeping it a game, free roam aspects and collectibles you actually want to take the time to collect instead of feeling obligated was a really nice touch, and the use of the side quest tombs and maps made it feel like a modern zelda with guns.

All the controls were great, climbing, jumping and all mechanics worked really well without flaws and the game was very forgiving.

The only downside I felt was that though the guns felt really nice and sounded nice, some were held abit awkwardly and it sucked that the upgrades couldnt be removed if wished, and that any newer version of a weapon was obtained you couldnt go back to using a previous version. Minor issues for this type of game but I would have liked to have gone back to the custom 1911 rather than the big fat awkward desert eagle looking pistol.

Overall a really great game, though I beat it all with all collectibles collected in two days, it was well worth it, would love some dlc or a co-op bot hunt mode. Possibly mods even.

The Yokel
  • The Yokel

True Gentleman

• The Yardies
  • Jamaica

Posted 13 March 2013 - 10:58 AM

Got this on GMG for $40. I love this game. I had doubts when I saw regenerating health, but my god the game is so good. I really like how Lara moves and reacts to her environment. I love the upgrade system, although I agree with Daz that they should let us remove upgrades if we wanted to.

I always enjoyed Tomb Raider games for what they were. But I acknowledged that Lara was also always kind of an adolescent sex fantasy. And the game definitely needed a reboot. And this is the best reboot one could ask for. I like the story. The pacing is good and it never feels like I'm doing something irrelevant even when I go off track to search for salvage or explore the tombs. It reminds me of Uncharted, only better.

Now, I understand that this is Lara's origin story and as such she's still not a real tomb raider. So it makes sense that raiding tombs is not a priority. Hopefully the next installment will be all about raiding tombs and they will be more complex with more puzzles to solve.

I wonder if they could make the next game fully open world like Ubisoft's Far Cry 3. Imagine a Tomb Raider game in a fully explorable island.

meta187
  • meta187

Challenge Convention, Question Authority.

• The Connection
  • None
  • Most Knowledgeable [Gaming] 2013
    Best Member in a Group 2010

Posted 13 March 2013 - 02:14 PM Edited by meta187, 13 March 2013 - 02:17 PM.

QUOTE (GTAvanja @ Wednesday, Mar 13 2013, 10:58)
Imagine a Tomb Raider game in a fully explorable island.

Def think you're on the right track there. Throw in a few vehicles like an ATV or a kayak for navigating streams and I'm all in.

I also agree with you and mentioned earlier how much I enjoy Lara's natural movements and animations in this game.

There is one subtle, remarkable game mechanic I've noted since getting into quite a few gun fights that may be very unique to this game that I haven't seen in many other games if at all, an intuitive cover system.

I was in a tight hallway with two guards charging towards me and I found myself backing into the room I stepped out of for cover. Nicely, I didn't have to press any buttons to clip to the wall, Lara naturally took the corner and shot around it at the charging enemies applying her own common sense to not stand out in the open so I could concentrate fully on the gunplay.

From there, I noticed this applied to all aggresive situations. Lara changes her whole body movement and general gait when approaching enemies, all objects become potential cover and it's done so seamlessly you barely recognize that it's there.

This particular mechanic of allowing the character to make some smart cover choices on their own, unprompted, when engaging the enemy is something all 3rd person shooters, including GTA, should take a page from, to be sure.

Gnarlton Banks
  • Gnarlton Banks

*MURDOC*

• BUSTED!

Posted 13 March 2013 - 02:22 PM

I too liked not having to hit a button to take cover.

It's instinct to hide, as it should be.

Knife
  • Knife

Tits.

• Zaibatsu
  • None

Posted 13 March 2013 - 02:40 PM

I like how Lara looks around the environment when moving through it. She doesn't just look where the camera looks, she actually seems to be taking the environment in. Should be in every 3rd person game.

Hodgey.
  • Hodgey.

GTA III, VC, SA, LCS, VCS, IV, TLAD, TBoGT and V all 100%

• Members
  • England
  • Best Avatar 2012
    Winner of Euro 2012 Prediction League

Posted 13 March 2013 - 03:35 PM

QUOTE (fullmetal @ Wednesday, Mar 13 2013, 02:19)
@ Hodgey1989: This is a reboot of the franchise... Lara Croft somewhat more "realistic" approach to her character. It's the story about how she became the famous Tomb Raider.

From girl to warrior woman...

Thanks man, i had heard that it was a reboot of the franchise but you never know if some gaming companies are telling the truth biggrin.gif

Daz
  • Daz

Pirandello/Kruger

• Feroci Racing
  • None

Posted 13 March 2013 - 05:22 PM

QUOTE (Knife @ Wednesday, Mar 13 2013, 14:40)
I like how Lara looks around the environment when moving through it. She doesn't just look where the camera looks, she actually seems to be taking the environment in. Should be in every 3rd person game.

Yeah, great head movements and alot of eye movement, really natural.

The game is just so well done, part of it may be that I had it on pc but it totally makes me want to grab it on 360 and get all the cheeves because it actually is FUN to explore and collect.

It actually turned out a much better version of what Far Cry 3's story should have been.

I hope games take note from this.

The Yokel
  • The Yokel

True Gentleman

• The Yardies
  • Jamaica

Posted 13 March 2013 - 08:57 PM Edited by GTAvanja, 13 March 2013 - 09:00 PM.

QUOTE (meta187 @ Wednesday, Mar 13 2013, 15:14)
There is one subtle, remarkable game mechanic I've noted since getting into quite a few gun fights that may be very unique to this game that I haven't seen in many other games if at all, an intuitive cover system.

I really like the cover system and how Lara leans out naturally when you aim your weapon. And it works so well because when the enemies are throwing explosives at you you really don't want to have to push a button in order to get out of cover. It breaks the immersion. I don't want to say that everything is done for the player, because it sounds like the game is dumbed down, when it's not. It's just very intuitive and it makes combat a lot more fun. I found that if you're good enough you don't even have to stay in cover because Lara's moves are so fluid and there's even that melee system. But when you do take cover it doesn't feel forced like something you have to do to survive. The thinking process here is important. Instead of thinking "I will go to cover now and press a button to stay there to survive" the only thing that goes through my head is "I should go there". So it's more natural. I like that.

I think The Last of Us devs are trying to do something similar. At least judging from the gameplay video I've seen. It would be good if they did the same thing without having to press a button to go to cover. Seeing how the game is a PS3 exclusive, that would mean having a better cover system and an extra button on the controller.

AceRay
  • AceRay

In my restless dreams, I see that town...

• Members

Posted 25 March 2013 - 03:54 AM

Apparently, the devs of Tomb Raider are thinking of making Lara gay

http://www.killscree...lara-croft-gay/

All I can say is *boing*.

Spider-Vice
  • Spider-Vice

Let's Bounce

• Zaibatsu
  • Portugal

Posted 26 March 2013 - 05:36 PM

^LOL

I've played the game and finished it, it's definitely much different than its predecessors but I loved the way the story went into your head, you could really feel as stranded as Lara, and the combat techniques were also pretty good. Mythical story like any other Tomb Raider, but this time stranded on an island. And there's plenty to explore aswell.
There's a lot of hate against this game because of the change of style but I really liked it.

FullMetal
  • FullMetal

Non-Retard

• Feroci Racing
  • None

Posted 27 March 2013 - 12:07 AM

Oh she isn't gay already? The story hinted towards a TOTALLY homo-erotic (or should you call it lesbo-erotic?) relationship between Lara and Sam. I bet there's alot of rule 34 on that sh*t as we speak.

Anyways. Great game, finished it last week. Multiplayer has no lasting value but that's not a shame at all. I have the urge (after finishing other games) to re-explore and go for the full 100%. They did it that good.

My only hope is that the future titles will feature less on rails/forced story parts and alot more free roam, tomb raiding and exploring bonus'. But, they should REALLY keep the story thing going. That exploring is encouraged but you can't just instantly investigate everything because you don't have the tools yet (which forces you to continue the story to unlock those tools).

Chukkles
  • Chukkles

Big Homie

• Members

Posted 27 March 2013 - 12:11 AM

I've slowed up on this quite a bit. Not sure why, I like playing it.
Maybe I just want to extend the experiance as much as possible.

I've just started playing escape from butcher bay.

Zancudo
  • Zancudo

Soldier

• BUSTED!
  • Poland

Posted 07 May 2013 - 01:32 PM

Just started playing it. It's been a long while since I've been so amazed and engulfed by the emotions flowing from a game. STUNNING.

W2B
  • W2B

Is Awesome!

• Zaibatsu
  • South-Africa

Posted 01 June 2013 - 02:01 PM

One of the best games I've played so far this year and one of the best in a long while. icon14.gif Best Tomb Raider imo!

LittleBlueTroll
  • LittleBlueTroll

★★★★

• Leone Family Mafia
  • England

Posted 01 June 2013 - 02:03 PM

This is en route to me as we speak courtesy of Blockbuster. God bless whoever invented renting games. Can't wait to play it!

CCPD
  • CCPD

Boss

• Members
  • None

Posted 15 July 2013 - 11:25 PM Edited by CCPD, 16 July 2013 - 09:49 AM.

Just got it of Steam and ended up playing it all day. Great game. Are there any mods to change Lara's appearance?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users