Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

7,941 replies to this topic
Melchior
  • Melchior

come on and tell me twice

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • Unknown

Posted 25 April 2013 - 10:31 AM

Finally picked this up. Any advice for someone just starting to play as a mage? I also plan on becoming a vampire asap.

Soon all will tremble before the might of vampiric-mage, the Dark Elf, Awesome McCoolname.

Melchior
  • Melchior

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • Unknown

Posted 14 May 2013 - 04:05 AM

So am I just way too late to have any hope of discussing this game?

JOSEPH X
  • JOSEPH X

Boss

• Members

Posted 14 May 2013 - 08:52 AM

QUOTE (Melchior @ Tuesday, May 14 2013, 04:05)
So am I just way too late to have any hope of discussing this game?

No.

I was waiting for a final piece of DLC, and was extremely pissed off when they ended support for the game. Iit has put a downer on my play sessions, to the point where I've actually taken it out and am now bombing thru the storyline of Max Payne 3. Shame really because it's one of the greats - and I still have two more achievements to get - but it has become a bit of a chore.

I'll undoubtedly get back into it, soon as I've got thru some of my gaming backlog caused by Skyrim.

user posted image

Melchior
  • Melchior

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • Unknown

Posted 14 May 2013 - 09:36 AM

Does anybody know if followers become hostile if they see you feed/go too long without feeding? I'm wondering because I vamped out shortly after getting the game but had to replace it with lyncanthropy to advance with the Companions questline, and I'm thinking about getting Hircine's ring and revamperising, but I now have a crew of followers and I'd rather not have to tell all four of them to wait every time I need to feed.

Secura
  • Secura

Fallen and Reborn

• The Yardies
  • United-Kingdom
  • Discussion Award [Gaming]
    Literary Prowess [General Chat]

Posted 14 May 2013 - 02:25 PM

QUOTE (Melchior @ Tuesday, May 14 2013, 09:36)
Does anybody know if followers become hostile if they see you feed/go too long without feeding?

If they see you feeding they're likely (at least in my experience) to leave your service and then you'll have to go through the process of recruiting them all over again, though if I remember correctly there are a few followers that don't really care about you killing or feeding on innocents such as Serena or Farkas.

Oh and by the looks of it you seem to be playing a modded PC version, either that of you're very good at finding loopholes in the game, so if you'd rather not have to deal with this I'm sure that you'll be able to find some mods at the Skyrim Nexus or the Steam Workshop that'll solve that problem for you.

Anyway it's good to see that this topic's made a resurgence, I'm getting back into Skyrim but things in reality keep dragging me out of it (most noticeably college riding me) so I'm really looking forward to getting some spare time so I can go adventuring in Skyrim again. Regardless of the fact that I can't current play I've already got the perfect character build planned out, an Orsimer blacksmith that's got a knack for alchemy.

rotipuj
  • rotipuj

That's all I got

• Members

Posted 14 May 2013 - 06:40 PM Edited by rotipuj, 14 May 2013 - 06:43 PM.

So I finally got the chance to play it for the first time. I played on my cousin's PC. I'm glad that I didn't buy the game.

I thought they would've improved the damn combat from Oblivion (the reason I didn't play it for long) and they did, a little bit. I still felt like I was hitting air. And its still terribly clunky. I mean, after playing both Souls games the combat in this game seemed absolutely horrible.

And not to mention the repetitive quests. I got bored of them in a couple of hours so I started playing with cheats. That made things a little bit fun but not for long. I was gonna buy the Legendary Edition on PS3 but now I'm not going to. I cannot believe that this game got GOTY. I'm not trying to start a flame war here. These are just my impressions on the game.

I liked a few things like the graphics, the map and the spells were pretty fun to use.

Master of San Andreas
  • Master of San Andreas

Leaving with a big bang, you guys rock.

• BUSTED!

Posted 14 May 2013 - 06:46 PM

QUOTE (rotipuj @ Wednesday, May 15 2013, 00:10)
So I finally got the chance to play it for the first time. I played on my cousin's PC. I'm glad that I didn't buy the game.

I thought they would've improved the damn combat from Oblivion (the reason I didn't play it for long) and they did, a little bit. I still felt like I was hitting air. And its still terribly clunky. I mean, after playing both Souls games the combat in this game seemed absolutely horrible.

And not to mention the repetitive quests. I got bored of them in a couple of hours so I started playing with cheats. That made things a little bit fun but not for long. I was gonna buy the Legendary Edition on PS3 but now I'm not going to. I cannot believe that this game got GOTY. I'm not trying to start a flame war here. These are just my impressions on the game.

I liked a few things like the graphics, the map and the spells were pretty fun to use.

You must be the few who hate Skyrim, I don't like RPG games at all but Skyrim is the only one RPG game along with Fallout that sounds interesting for me, I've never played it though. I don't think I ever will because I am terrible at RPG's and they are just boring IMO.

Melchior
  • Melchior

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • Unknown

Posted 14 May 2013 - 11:09 PM

QUOTE (Lightning Strike @ Wednesday, May 15 2013, 00:25)
Oh and by the looks of it you seem to be playing a modded PC version

lol nah, it's a pretty simple work around. You can only have one regular follower plus the two dark brotherhood initiates and Cicero (and conjured thralls). I play on 360 so there's not much I can do, though I do intend to get Dawnguard.

nightwalker83
  • nightwalker83

Don't mind me

• Members

Posted 15 May 2013 - 01:18 AM

QUOTE (Melchior @ Wednesday, May 15 2013, 09:39)
QUOTE (Lightning Strike @ Wednesday, May 15 2013, 00:25)
Oh and by the looks of it you seem to be playing a modded PC version

lol nah, it's a pretty simple work around. You can only have one regular follower plus the two dark brotherhood initiates and Cicero (and conjured thralls). I play on 360 so there's not much I can do, though I do intend to get Dawnguard.

I've done that too on the pc version (unmodded).

OhWait
  • OhWait

Player Hater

• BUSTED!

Posted 15 May 2013 - 02:37 AM

hahahaha

Barry Spock
  • Barry Spock

Li'l G Loc

• Members

Posted 15 May 2013 - 09:27 AM

Okay so I got the Dawnguard DLC today:

Did anyone get plastic surgery on their character? Pretty damn weird option if you ask me. I was just offloading some stuff on tonilla and noticed someone strange there. I'd understand if it was neccesary for a certain mission but I just did a quick search and it seems it was just because a lot of people complained that they couldn't change their ugly characters.
I like my ugly Nord guy. Plus I hardly ever see his face since I switched to heavy armour.

nightwalker83
  • nightwalker83

Don't mind me

• Members

Posted 15 May 2013 - 10:09 AM

QUOTE (Barry Spock @ Wednesday, May 15 2013, 19:57)

I did! But I don't see the point in it. That is referring to your spoiler not DG.

Barry Spock
  • Barry Spock

Li'l G Loc

• Members

Posted 15 May 2013 - 10:12 AM

QUOTE (nightwalker83 @ Wednesday, May 15 2013, 10:09)

I did! But I don't see the point in it. That is referring to your spoiler not DG.

I might give it a little try and go back to a previous save if I don;t like how things turn out.

Melchior
  • Melchior

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • Unknown

Posted 22 May 2013 - 04:28 AM

Anyone ever try that alchemy/enchanting loop thing? I'd like to enchant a ring or something so my magicka regenerates faster than it goes down.

gta_aus
  • gta_aus

Soldier

• Members

Posted 22 May 2013 - 07:11 AM

Hey guys, haven't bee on the forums in yonks. I'm having a bit of problem at the moment, I only need to place one more dragon priest mask on the altar, and that is Otar the Mad's mask, So I went to go to Ragnvald, and it says I have cleared it already, I do remember clearing it but I don't remember getting the mask, I've searched through that place for ages and can't find Otars remains anywhere sad.gif

I've also checked every house I own and all of my followers inventories as well, and I DID NOT drop it, the dragon priest masks are my most prized possessions, along with a bee in a jar.

JOSEPH X
  • JOSEPH X

Boss

• Members

Posted 22 May 2013 - 11:08 AM

QUOTE (Barry Spock @ Wednesday, May 15 2013, 10:12)
QUOTE (nightwalker83 @ Wednesday, May 15 2013, 10:09)

I might give it a little try and go back to a previous save if I don;t like how things turn out.

Beware changing your character's look too much. When DG dropped I retrieved my original character - who was a slim Viggo Mortensen looking dude and turned him into a gruff bald bearded guy. I played him for five minutes and deleted him, the visual/character dissonance being to great.

My latest character though, must have spent 20-50 grand at the face changer with hundreds of little tweaks here and there trying to get her to look like my ex. All my other characters just use her for tats and hair styles.

@ gta_aus. If his remains have gone and the dungeon reset then it's gone for good. If you think you've definitely took it and misplaced it somewhere else, try doing some time travel to an earlier save, locating it then returning to your latest save and retrieving it.

Barry Spock
  • Barry Spock

Li'l G Loc

• Members

Posted 23 May 2013 - 01:21 AM

QUOTE (gta_aus @ Wednesday, May 22 2013, 07:11)
the dragon priest masks are my most prized possessions, along with a bee in a jar.

I loves the bee in a jar too. It's a premanent fixture in the basement at the Riften house.

^ JoeX : I ended up not making any changes at all. It seemed to default straight back to the the presets. I was hoping it'd give my present face then let me make small changes to nose size or whatever -- if it'd been like that maybe I would've changed his hair colour to make him look a bit older...

Melchoir, alchemy and enchanting are good but I think I liked smithing better. I topped that out at 100 ages ago.

--
I think I have a bit of a crush on Serana. I like how she's always talking about the weather and I can empathise with how she has a f*cked up family. Plus she can't die which makes her a heck of a lot better than anneke cragjumper who was dying ever second battle.

Greasepalms
  • Greasepalms

Ya gon' dun goof'd up

• The Yardies
  • Portugal

Posted 23 May 2013 - 01:54 AM

skyrim dlc is now half price on PSN EU I reckon.

badboy_zay
  • badboy_zay

:)

• Members
  • None

Posted 23 May 2013 - 06:19 AM Edited by badboy_zay, 23 May 2013 - 06:26 AM.

this is my Nord, he is my first character in Skyrim, been playing him for years now, guess it's time for some thing new...
user posted image
him back in good old days...
user posted image

so, I've been using Live another life mod and tried to create my Nerevarine from Morrowind
user posted image
he looks great so far, I'm going to use him for my new playthrough with sh*t ton of mods blush.gif

Potato Boggle
  • Potato Boggle

Formerly ozzman1

• Members
  • None

Posted 23 May 2013 - 06:46 AM

Here's some random screens with some texture mods and enb. The titles are a link to full size.
user posted image
Bitch
user posted image
#YOLO
user posted image
You First
user posted image
The Knerb Gerblin
user posted image
Staring Death in The Eyes
user posted image
What Skyrim looks like when it actually has color!
I have a bunch more on my Flickr if anyone's interested.
And sorry if these are too big, they look fine on my screen.

Majestic81
  • Majestic81

=VP=

• Members
  • None

Posted 23 May 2013 - 07:48 AM

I dont get why people like to put mods like this into their games. that orc image looks like its out of oblivion.

Moth
  • Moth

When life gives you lemons, nuke the planet.

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • Canada

Posted 23 May 2013 - 08:02 AM

QUOTE (Majestic81 @ Thursday, May 23 2013, 02:48)
that orc image looks like its out of oblivion.

Wait what? You think that looks like this?
user posted image
Dude you need your eyes checked.

Majestic81
  • Majestic81

=VP=

• Members
  • None

Posted 23 May 2013 - 09:52 AM

QUOTE (The General @ Thursday, May 23 2013, 08:02)

I'm not talking about the models, obviously no ENB can change that. but the colors are hideous. you know what? i've changed my mind, that image looks worse than Oblivion. at least Oblivion looked natural. you put ENB into a game and you just f*cked your game up. i can understand people using mods for Morrowind, because the graphics have become very outdated. but with Skyrim? no need for that at all. it seems like people like to download mods just for the sake of it.
Each is entitled to their own opinion though.

JOSEPH X
  • JOSEPH X

Boss

• Members

Posted 23 May 2013 - 11:10 AM

QUOTE (Majestic81 @ Thursday, May 23 2013, 09:52)

I'm not talking about the models, obviously no ENB can change that. but the colors are hideous. you know what? i've changed my mind, that image looks worse than Oblivion. at least Oblivion looked natural. you put ENB into a game and you just f*cked your game up. i can understand people using mods for Morrowind, because the graphics have become very outdated. but with Skyrim? no need for that at all. it seems like people like to download mods just for the sake of it.

It does have a very cartoon-like palate of colours. There are better hi-res mods available.

badboy_zay
  • badboy_zay

:)

• Members
  • None

Posted 23 May 2013 - 02:48 PM

QUOTE (Majestic81 @ Thursday, May 23 2013, 16:52)

that because of the poor choice of ENB. some ENB's setting are great and the color tone neither too bright nor out of place.
however, I don't think many people would have a strong enough PC to play their entire game with ENB on, most people use ENB only for screenshots purpose.
the only "graphic enhanced" mod I love to use is FXAA injector preset 3, it fits the game well. mods like WATER and enhanced blood textures are also amazing

Potato Boggle
  • Potato Boggle

Formerly ozzman1

• Members
  • None

Posted 23 May 2013 - 08:57 PM

I got ENB because I hate how colorless they made Skyrim, I get that they were going for a certain feel with it but I don't like it. Same with the dumb blue or black and white filter that Battlefield 3 uses, it just drives me nuts.

Eventually I got the FXAA injector and the colors do look more natural now, but I didn't upload any of those screenies to my Flickr yet.

GrandMaster Smith
  • GrandMaster Smith

• Members
  • None

Posted 23 May 2013 - 11:08 PM

QUOTE (Barry Spock @ Wednesday, May 15 2013, 01:27)

Did anyone get plastic surgery on their character? Pretty damn weird option if you ask me. I was just offloading some stuff on tonilla and noticed someone strange there. I'd understand if it was neccesary for a certain mission but I just did a quick search and it seems it was just because a lot of people complained that they couldn't change their ugly characters.
I like my ugly Nord guy. Plus I hardly ever see his face since I switched to heavy armour.

I've used it once. One thing I don't get why they didn't give you the option of if they went through all that would be to change your name.

I accidentally saved my current character as Prisoner over 110 hours ago, it's no big deal but if I can change my face I should be able to change my name too tounge.gif

Melchior
  • Melchior

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • Unknown

Posted 24 May 2013 - 01:28 PM

QUOTE (Barry Spock @ Thursday, May 23 2013, 11:21)
Melchoir, alchemy and enchanting are good but I think I liked smithing better. I topped that out at 100 ages ago.

lol no, I'm talking about where you use enchanting to improve alchemy and alchemy to improve enchanting in a loop until you can enchant gear with gamebreaking stats. I also heard you can use restoration potions to boost the stats on your enchantments, so if you neck enough of them your talos amulet can let you shout without cool down, which sounds too good to ignore.

As for the chick who changes your appearance in, I'll definitely pay her a visit once I get Dawnguard. I forgot to give my guy lipstick and I'm not sure he has sufficient guyliner.

Twang.
  • Twang.

No greater good, no just cause.

• The Connection

Posted 24 May 2013 - 05:41 PM

I'm glad the Legendary edition is coming out, so I can finally get it for PS3. It's more for my girlfriend (whom I got into the game), though. I have it and all the DLC on 360, but when she bought a PS3 she was pretty stoked to get Skyrim for it. I advised her to wait for the inevitable DLC edition. Glad I made the right call and she didn't have to wait too long.

I personally am burnt out on the game, and the series in general. I probably have 500~ hours in to Skyrim and the shallow world and combat finally got to me. I even resorted to making a bunch of new characters to try to inspire motivation, but no go. Tried to play both Oblivion and Morrowind again, but same result. I'm gonna try again with this, and focus on making a proper battlemage. I've tried a few time to make one, on both PC and PS3 Oblivions, and I tried to convert my pure caster in Skyrim to one, but nothing stuck. Trying again may be afool's errand, but sh*t, why not give it a 5th shot? If not, guess I'll give it up a few years and come back to it when I have a proper gaming PC and possibly TES6 (and/or ESO if I can get in to it).

nightwalker83
  • nightwalker83

Don't mind me

• Members

Posted 25 May 2013 - 01:07 AM

QUOTE (Sakuya @ Saturday, May 25 2013, 04:11)
I personally am burnt out on the game, and the series in general.

I would say the same for me! I have 614 hours so far.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users