8,171 replies to this topic
Seddo
  • Seddo

YNWA

• Zaibatsu
  • None
  • Winner of Euro 2008 Prediction League

Posted 12 December 2010 - 11:15 AM

At first i read the topic titles as 'Elder Scrolls v Skyrim' and thought it was another versus topic tounge.gif .

At least we've got something else other than a little artwork picture, now we have a teaser to droll over. I was late to the Oblivion party and only played Elder Scrolls for the first time in January, can't wait for this.

Robinski
  • Robinski

Under a fluorescent sky

• BUSTED!

Posted 12 December 2010 - 11:35 AM

QUOTE (The-King @ Dec 12 2010, 10:15)
*WORDS*

And yes, I do know way too much about the TES universe.

You don't know too much. You know just the right amount.

Reading that actually brought a lot flooding back, I remember reading some of the lore about the Akaviri races and it was pretty interesting. Hadn't heard of them going for some sort of ascension to dragon-hood though, that's pretty cool. Were the Tsaesci some sort of Planet-of-the-Apes monkey men? I seem to have that image in my head.

To expand on what I said earlier, in addition to Dragons I can't wait to see some of the Nordic mythology and all that crazy stuff up in the mountains. I hope there's a more orginal fantastical spin on the area than Cyrodil got, which was pretty much a generic fantasy world. The art style of the trailer was pretty cool too, I like the stone fire a lot.

ME3 and ESV in one day. I only just got up and today is a good day.

The-King
  • The-King

[Rekt Intensifies]

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 12 December 2010 - 11:48 AM Edited by The-King, 12 December 2010 - 11:53 AM.

QUOTE (Robinski @ Dec 12 2010, 05:35)
QUOTE (The-King @ Dec 12 2010, 10:15)
*WORDS*

And yes, I do know way too much about the TES universe.

You don't know too much. You know just the right amount.

Reading that actually brought a lot flooding back, I remember reading some of the lore about the Akaviri races and it was pretty interesting. Hadn't heard of them going for some sort of ascension to dragon-hood though, that's pretty cool. Were the Tsaesci some sort of Planet-of-the-Apes monkey men? I seem to have that image in my head.

To expand on what I said earlier, in addition to Dragons I can't wait to see some of the Nordic mythology and all that crazy stuff up in the mountains. I hope there's a more orginal fantastical spin on the area than Cyrodil got, which was pretty much a generic fantasy world. The art style of the trailer was pretty cool too, I like the stone fire a lot.

ME3 and ESV in one day. I only just got up and today is a good day.

The Tsaesci are the vampiric race of humanoid serpents who ate (whether figuratively or literally, it's up to personal interpretation) all the humans on the Akaviri continent, as well as exterminated or turned all of the dragons on the continent into slaves. Not to mention ruled all of Tamriel for a good 400 or so years and attempted to enslave or wipe out all of their neighbors at some point or another. The Ka Po'Tun are the cat-like men and controllers of the greatest empire on Akavir who've taken it upon themselves to become dragons (their leader being the first to have accomplished this). The other two nations on Akavir are the Tang-Mo, a race of intelligent monkeys who group together on a year to year basis to repel attacks from the demon armies of the frozen land of Kamal, the other, who thaw out each year and invade their home in an attempt to enslave them, but are repelled in kind.

Akavir has always been fascinating to me, more-so than any other part of the TES universe, since it's painted out to be such an utterly mysterious realm, kind of holding the same mystique the orient used to hold back in the early days of world exploration since it's an obvious parallel to that.

I keep considering reinstalling Oblivion, but then I slap myself because I remember why I uninstalled it multiple times before, it's just way too dull and dry, especially after playing Fallout 3 and New Vegas and put next to Morrowind. I'll probably give it one more chance once I get a good PC and I can deck it out with graphic mods, better cities, unique landscapes, and the like.

Robinski
  • Robinski

Under a fluorescent sky

• BUSTED!

Posted 12 December 2010 - 11:57 AM

QUOTE (The-King @ Dec 12 2010, 11:48)
Akavir has always been fascinating to me, more-so than any other part of the TES universe, since it's painted out to be such an utterly mysterious realm, kind of holding the same mystique the orient used to hold back in the early days of world exploration since it's an obvious parallel to that.

Well it is a lot easier to write about a mystical realm than it is to actually create one. If Tamriel is the Europe of the ES series then Akavir really is the Asia equivalent. The only real hard evidence of it that I've seen is the armour/weapons though, but the parallels with both Europe and China having dragon legends and Akavir/Tamriel having the same aren't exactly subtle.

The-King
  • The-King

[Rekt Intensifies]

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 12 December 2010 - 12:15 PM

QUOTE (Robinski @ Dec 12 2010, 05:57)
Well it is a lot easier to write about a mystical realm than it is to actually create one. If Tamriel is the Europe of the ES series then Akavir really is the Asia equivalent. The only real hard evidence of it that I've seen is the armour/weapons though, but the parallels with both Europe and China having dragon legends and Akavir/Tamriel having the same aren't exactly subtle.

You also can't discount the styling of Cloud Ruler Temple, which is supposed to be of Akaviri descent. The Tsaesci kind of strike me as a parallel to the Huns, in that the entiriety of their existance is drawn from their conquering of other cultures and integrating them into their own, both one of the assumed origins of their descriptions as vampiric serpents and directly related to the argument that they didn't actually, physically, eat all of the men on Akavir and instead eat being used as a metaphor for absorption into their society.

The Dragons were never actually legends, they originated from Akavir (where they're now extinct), and in Tamriel they ruled the skies above Morrowind for ages (specifically the area around Red Mountain), until the Cliff Racers invaded and chased them out due to sheer numbers. They moved on and supposedly aided Cyrodil during wars on multiple occasions in exchange for shelter and protection. There are still rumors that they live in and around isolated, highland communities to the north as well as having taken up residence in abandoned structures and derelict mines.

I can only hope the story in V revolves around a rebellion of sorts, rather than going the Reign Of Fire route which would be utterly boorish. Something along the lines of history being a lie as it usually is and the dragons actually having been used as slaves to fight their wars by early Emperors and then being wiped out or forced into captivity because their power and intellect were feared. Would bring back the gray that made me fall in love with the TES series and give you some interesting decisions to make along the way.

Suihkubad
  • Suihkubad

Peon

• Members

Posted 12 December 2010 - 01:08 PM

This has made me even more excited than someone announcing GTA V. This is just going to be huge. Only thing worrying me is how XBox can handle this. I havent seen major graphical improvements in a while so I'm guessing that my precious XBOX is a bit outdated

Don Garcia
  • Don Garcia

Dolls Kill

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • None

Posted 12 December 2010 - 01:14 PM

I immediately want gameplay. If the combat is the same old, wooden, stiff bag, I will weep.

Surely, Bethesda will have made a leap.

Slingaa
  • Slingaa

Unbowed, unbent, unbroken.

• Members

Posted 12 December 2010 - 01:21 PM

Holy sh*t, I f*cking jizzed!

Co-op please!

The Yokel
  • The Yokel

Peeling potatoes like a pro

• The Yardies
  • Jamaica

Posted 12 December 2010 - 01:30 PM

QUOTE (Slingaa @ Dec 12 2010, 15:21)

Co-op please!

Don't even think about it. TES should never have any kind of multiplayer.

lt_yao
  • lt_yao

Satie

• Members

Posted 12 December 2010 - 01:35 PM

Sort of excited. Loved the previous TES games.

Slingaa
  • Slingaa

Unbowed, unbent, unbroken.

• Members

Posted 12 December 2010 - 03:35 PM

QUOTE (GTAvanja @ Dec 12 2010, 14:30)
QUOTE (Slingaa @ Dec 12 2010, 15:21)

Co-op please!

Don't even think about it. TES should never have any kind of multiplayer.

Explain to me why not.

Moonshield
  • Moonshield

mountaineer

• Mongolia
  • Best Senior Moderator 2013
    Best OGA Member 2014

Posted 12 December 2010 - 03:46 PM

QUOTE (The-King @ Dec 12 2010, 07:15)
I can only hope the story in V revolves around a rebellion of sorts, rather than going the Reign Of Fire route which would be utterly boorish.

Come on mayne, wouldn't you wanna be like Matthew McConaughey and kill dragons with axes by jumping off of tall sh*t? And have perfectly sculpted abs?

meta187
  • meta187

Challenge Convention, Question Authority.

• The Connection
  • None
  • Most Knowledgeable [Gaming] 2013
    Best Member in a Group 2010
    Best Cluckin' Huge Meal 2015

Posted 12 December 2010 - 04:10 PM Edited by meta187, 13 December 2010 - 12:06 AM.

I guess the latest Game Informer (#213) just happend to have perfect timing this month with a really nice summary of the entire Elder Scrolls series and lore starting on page 96. Definitely worth a look for people newer to the series and sort of a nice history lesson for the series in general. Prior to reading it I had no idea what a big deal it was that Emperor Uriel Septim was assassinated at the beginning of Oblivion or that he had been so important to the series leading up to that.

user posted image

*Also Slingaa may not be too far off the mark there as MMO rumors already surfacing.

Bethesda's popular fantasy series, Elder Scrolls, seems destined to move into the MMO space eventually, but could that inevitable online extension be the next game in the series?

This latest rumor comes via the sleuths at System Link, who did some digging into the job openings at ZeniMax, Bethesda's parent company. The article notes two job openings in particular: a quest designer at Bethesda Game Studios and a content designer at ZeniMax Online Studios.

Now don't jump to conclusions just yet. The System Link story makes a lot of assumptions about this potential Elder Scrolls MMO. First off, they suggest that if Bethesda is making a game with a quest system, it must be either Elder Scrolls or Fallout. Since Todd Howard has said Fallout 4 is a longer wait off, the article guesses that it's Elder Scrolls. This is very possible, but it's also possible that Bethesda could be tackling a totally different IP that they're implementing a quest system into.

The biggest leap of faith comes with the ZeniMax Online job. That position is almost certainly to work on an MMO -- previous MMO experience is required, and the job listing mentions that the studio is working on an unannounced MMO. However, the System Link story assumes that Bethesda Game Studios and ZeniMax Online Studios are working on the same project, which doesn't seem as likely.

These are two separate job listings for two separate studios that are located an hour's drive apart from each other (by Google Map's estimate). While I'm sure some technology and talent is shared between the two companies, I doubt a quest designer hired to work at Bethesda would be doing work for a game at ZeniMax Online and vice versa.

All that said, I wouldn't be surprised at all of that ZeniMax Online Studios project is an Elder Scrolls MMO. Just don't be shocked if Bethesda the developer isn't as involved.

source

Norehapshida
  • Norehapshida

buttz

• BUSTED!

Posted 12 December 2010 - 04:10 PM

Seen the teaser on facebook this morning and actually shot out of my bed to jump out and down, this getting announced along with ME3 is enough to make me jizz buckets.

Knife
  • Knife

Tits.

• Zaibatsu
  • None

Posted 12 December 2010 - 05:42 PM

Good news from bethesda on twitter:

Seeing lots of speculation about #tesv game engine. It's brand new... and it's spectacular!

The Yokel
  • The Yokel

• The Yardies
  • Jamaica

Posted 12 December 2010 - 05:59 PM

Is the game for PC exclusive or is it on Xbox 360 and PS3 as well? I ask because I wanna know what to expect form the graphics engine. If it's PC exclusive then I'll probably need to upgrade my PC. If it isn't I wont because my PC is already more powerful than PS3 and 360 combined.

Knife
  • Knife

Tits.

• Zaibatsu
  • None

Posted 12 December 2010 - 06:13 PM

Nobody does PC exclusives unless the game simply doesn't play well (aka RTS games). It's for PS3, 360 & PC.

The-King
  • The-King

[Rekt Intensifies]

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 12 December 2010 - 06:28 PM

If they don't utilize DX11 (or DX10 for that matter) with a brand new engine I'll be bloody pissed. Because it'll truly mean Bethesda has gone down the unredeemable path of console whores who just make half assed PC ports (which they already pretty much are).

Oh yeah, and new engine!

The-King squeals

kaptainkoolkat
  • kaptainkoolkat

Punk-ass Bitch

• BUSTED!

Posted 12 December 2010 - 07:23 PM

QUOTE (Knife @ Dec 12 2010, 18:13)
Nobody does PC exclusives unless the game simply doesn't play well (aka RTS games). It's for PS3, 360 & PC.

Red orchestra 2

Moonshield
  • Moonshield

mountaineer

• Mongolia
  • Best Senior Moderator 2013
    Best OGA Member 2014

Posted 12 December 2010 - 08:01 PM

I'm so f*cking stoked that by then, I'll have a new machine to fully enjoy this on, instead of getting it for the 360.

Tyler
  • Tyler

Roy Orbison singing to the lonely

• None
  • Best Poem 2014
    Best Story 2014
    Most Talented Writer 2014
    Newcomer of the Year 2010

Posted 12 December 2010 - 08:11 PM

Nice, PC seems like the way to go with games like these. I'll probably just settle for the 360 version myself.

Hey King, can you give me a link to where you read up on The Elder Scrolls lore and what-not? Seems like some cool stuff to read into next time I get the urge to read something.

Superpowermind
  • Superpowermind

Kill the King

• Members

Posted 12 December 2010 - 08:50 PM

I have waited for so long, I have been fooled by so many april fools jokes regarding TES V but now, it is real! I can't wait for it. 11/11/11.

The-King
  • The-King

[Rekt Intensifies]

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 12 December 2010 - 09:26 PM Edited by The-King, 12 December 2010 - 09:28 PM.

QUOTE (Unoriginal44 @ Dec 12 2010, 14:11)
Hey King, can you give me a link to where you read up on The Elder Scrolls lore and what-not? Seems like some cool stuff to read into next time I get the urge to read something.

For basic references and quick summaries the Unofficial Elder Scrolls Pages is your best source (not to mention information on any little thing in any of the games you could possibly need). For more in-depth lore, including the contents of in-game books, maps and such The Imperial Library is without a doubt your best bet. And if you have questions about the interpretations of things or just feel like browsing, the lore section at the official forums is another good place to look as well.

The Yokel
  • The Yokel

• The Yardies
  • Jamaica

Posted 12 December 2010 - 10:57 PM

QUOTE (The-King @ Dec 12 2010, 23:26)
QUOTE (Unoriginal44 @ Dec 12 2010, 14:11)

For basic references and quick summaries the Unofficial Elder Scrolls Pages is your best source (not to mention information on any little thing in any of the games you could possibly need). For more in-depth lore, including the contents of in-game books, maps and such The Imperial Library is without a doubt your best bet. And if you have questions about the interpretations of things or just feel like browsing, the lore section at the official forums is another good place to look as well.

Best option however is to play the games and read the books from Morrowind and Oblivion. I remember I had so much fun reading in Morrowind. Some of those history books about Dwemer were awesome.

Seddo
  • Seddo

YNWA

• Zaibatsu
  • None
  • Winner of Euro 2008 Prediction League

Posted 12 December 2010 - 11:04 PM

QUOTE (Knife @ Dec 12 2010, 18:42)

Seeing lots of speculation about #tesv game engine. It's brand new... and it's spectacular!

Nice one.

I thought i read it was the same engine and just had a few tweaks, good to see it's brand new one.

tubbs51
  • tubbs51

Superbowl 48 Champs! GO SEAHAWKS!!

• Angels of Death MC
  • None

Posted 12 December 2010 - 11:08 PM

i wouldnt mind split screen Co op... after all by lil bro and i practically fought over who gets to play Oblivion and when tounge.gif

Tyler
  • Tyler

Roy Orbison singing to the lonely

• None
  • Best Poem 2014
    Best Story 2014
    Most Talented Writer 2014
    Newcomer of the Year 2010

Posted 12 December 2010 - 11:08 PM

QUOTE (GTAvanja @ Dec 12 2010, 16:57)

Best option however is to play the games and read the books from Morrowind and Oblivion. I remember I had so much fun reading in Morrowind. Some of those history books about Dwemer were awesome.

I did do quite a bit of reading in Oblivion, I just want to read all the lore prior.

Mannimarco King of Worms was my favourite book.

meta187
  • meta187

Challenge Convention, Question Authority.

• The Connection
  • None
  • Most Knowledgeable [Gaming] 2013
    Best Member in a Group 2010
    Best Cluckin' Huge Meal 2015

Posted 13 December 2010 - 12:23 AM

QUOTE (Knife @ Dec 12 2010, 17:42)

I'd fully agree with that since even playing through New Vegas felt a bit dodgey and generic at times on the previous engine from Fo3.

I really need to see some marked graphical improvement and design variations on Bethesda's next project not just a huge sprawling sandbox with cookie cutter dungeons and monsters. Not to say I haven't enjoyed the games but I know they could be better in this way.

Red_Queen
  • Red_Queen

VC-MP, SA-MP & GTAIV-MP Player <3

• Members

Posted 13 December 2010 - 12:35 AM

What's so exciting about this game ?

[SM]CJZera
  • [SM]CJZera

<Subject Name Here>

• Members

Posted 13 December 2010 - 12:50 AM

I remember I was once going to read some books, it was a series that had a year as the name... I was waiting until finding them all for readerness... never did it though...

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users