» «
Photo

Zombocalypse Mod

58 replies to this topic
MrSnaztastic
  • MrSnaztastic

Machinimator

• Members

Posted 05 December 2010 - 06:55 PM Edited by MrSnaztastic, 04 August 2012 - 09:35 PM.

My goal was to create a city of the walking dead by "zombifying" all of Grand Theft Auto IV's pedestrians. I chose to do it the hard way, replacing each individual texture file with unique new decomposing versions. After over a year of work, there are over 200 zombies roaming the streets of Liberty City, the world's latest necropolis. If y'all want cool looking zombies, I hope my skins are for you smile.gif

user posted image

Zombocalypse 2.0 features vast improvements in quality to the majority of the already zombified characters while adding a whole lot more. The mod now comes with the option to spawn only zombified pedestrians (can be risky, but if you want it, go for it!). This latest iteration of the mod should hopefully appear on GTA Garage soon. Until then, you can find it at the links below..

TEMPORARY DOWNLOADS:

Zombocalypse DIY edition (210 loose texture files)
http://is.gd/iHMfmO
450 MB

Zombocalypse Preloaded (fully packed pedestrians file)
http://is.gd/d29xI2
715MB

More info can be found over at GTA Garage.

_Rob_
  • _Rob_

Game Dev, Graphics Artist

• Members
  • None

Posted 05 December 2010 - 06:59 PM

Look cool,will they actually try to eat you or is it just a texture mod?

MrSnaztastic
  • MrSnaztastic

Machinimator

• Members

Posted 05 December 2010 - 07:04 PM

In this mod I'm only changing the textures, but that in itself is quite a large job.
If you use it in conjunction with something like Contagium you can get them assaulting you.
I'm just making them look cool smile.gif

ikt
  • ikt

*poof*

• Members
  • None

Posted 06 December 2010 - 07:28 PM

QUOTE (MrSnaztastic @ Dec 5 2010, 21:04)
In this mod I'm only changing the textures, but that in itself is quite a large job.
If you use it in conjunction with something like Contagium you can get them assaulting you.

Awesome! biggrin.gif

coin-god
  • coin-god

High Roller

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 09 December 2010 - 11:45 PM

This is nice, and looks like you are adding good detail.

This could be usefull for a future Zombie mod.

hardsty1e
  • hardsty1e

GLITCHED

• Members
  • None

Posted 17 December 2010 - 08:19 PM

QUOTE (MrSnaztastic @ Dec 5 2010, 19:04)

Doin' great! I Effin luv the gta start up theme!! Probably Lilmcnessy might update his "Zombie Mission Mod" to fit with Contagium but he needs the relationship group for the zombies, any chances you would know them? Maybe you two should work together since his other texture artist/coder is out bored.gif

MrSnaztastic
  • MrSnaztastic

Machinimator

• Members

Posted 18 December 2010 - 04:00 AM

I'd love to have my textures be part of a bigger mod, particularly if there's one that has actually accomplished the feat of making the zombies act like zombies instead of shambling boxers..

Contagium's pretty cool, but it can be pretty damn glitchy and needs more options before it can be considered user friendly. That Zombie Mission Mod has an error pop up in the corner everytime I load the game (why doesn't it come with a readme or anything?). Seems like that and everything else I've tried is either buggy as hell or fails to start or isn't supported by the latest version of GTA IV.

But yeah, if anyone's got an epic zombie mod in the works and would like to officially combine it with my skins, I'll definitely pay attention if ya ask smile.gif

ikt
  • ikt

*poof*

• Members
  • None

Posted 25 December 2010 - 10:51 AM

Question, will Niko be zombiefied? Because do not want.

TomWar1978
  • TomWar1978

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 26 December 2010 - 03:46 AM

thanks this will be my first mod for this game... to try that is! i always avoided this game... hated it/// and now what the hell right?

MrSnaztastic
  • MrSnaztastic

Machinimator

• Members

Posted 26 December 2010 - 01:37 PM Edited by MrSnaztastic, 26 August 2011 - 04:44 AM.

QUOTE (ikt @ Dec 25 2010, 10:51)
Question, will Niko be zombiefied? Because do not want.

Niko isn't a zombie. Yet.

I've started work on him, but won't get down to giving Niko my full attention til I've done everyone else.

Besides, it's up to you whether he looks zombified or not. Each zombie's texture file is kept separate, so you can leave Niko looking all bland and alive if you wish smile.gif

ikt
  • ikt

*poof*

• Members
  • None

Posted 27 December 2010 - 11:06 AM

Thanks biggrin.gif

This mod is awesome in combination with Contagium with 3rd level infection.

Djwid63
  • Djwid63

Lonely Lover (hahaha)

• Members

Posted 13 January 2011 - 12:06 AM

Impressive! Must've taken you ages to do! biggrin.gif

ikt
  • ikt

*poof*

• Members
  • None

Posted 24 January 2011 - 04:19 PM

When do you think you'll have all the zombies/peds finished?

Also, Contagium might be a great mod, but it has some user-unfriendly options. Everytime I place a waypoint, autowalk/drive starts and there's no way to turn it off. Meh.

I'd like to see some euphoria controlled zombies. Might try to make it myself. How hard can it be? monocle.gif

MrSnaztastic
  • MrSnaztastic

Machinimator

• Members

Posted 24 January 2011 - 05:42 PM

QUOTE (ikt @ Jan 24 2011, 16:19)
When do you think you'll have all the zombies/peds finished?

I hope to be done with Zombocalypse by the end of the year. With any luck I'll get it finished over the summer.
Next update will be in June with a shedload more zombies.

As for Contagium, it's just a fairly simple way to get a city full of people who hate you, which is why I recommend it. There's probably other mods that do similar, but Contagium gives people that wounded walk-cycle which makes them look zombie-like so it's got an edge there.

Recon Zero
  • Recon Zero

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 25 May 2011 - 04:33 AM

this is awesome man!!! im just waiting for the the one thats gonna be released in june biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

Neova
  • Neova

Snitch

• Members

Posted 25 May 2011 - 09:12 AM

Awesome! Now if someone can code in some zombie survival missions, then we're all set!

fakespyder
  • fakespyder

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 29 May 2011 - 10:56 PM

QUOTE (MrSnaztastic @ Dec 5 2010, 18:55)

Next Update:
JUNE - Aimng for 120 zombies

Great work man. cool.gif
Your skins plus Contagium mod are allot of fun.
Look forward to your next update.

Thanks.

Forrest-Brown
  • Forrest-Brown

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 17 June 2011 - 08:15 PM

Hey, after installing this mod, I can play for like a minute or two but then the game crashes with Fatal Error: ZLIB20.
when I switch the textures back to normal, the game runs fine... what do I need to do to get this working?

MrSnaztastic
  • MrSnaztastic

Machinimator

• Members

Posted 18 June 2011 - 10:34 AM

QUOTE (Forrest-Brown @ Friday, Jun 17 2011, 20:15)
Hey, after installing this mod, I can play for like a minute or two but then the game crashes with Fatal Error: ZLIB20.
when I switch the textures back to normal, the game runs fine... what do I need to do to get this working?

If you just want the zombie textures in-game, then all you need is the latest version of SparkIV and GTA IV. Make sure you have the latest patch is what I would recommend.

I've never seen that error message before, but a trip to Google revealed ZLIB20 is usually caused by corrupted files and requires a re-install to fix. However, since GTA IV seems to still work properly for you when the mod is uninstalled, could be that your download of Zombocalypse had a bit of an error. Try re-downloading the mod and see if the new version makes a difference. If not, then either re-install GTA IV and try again, or just accept that it doesn't like your computer sad.gif

ubtri
  • ubtri

Zombie Killer

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 23 August 2011 - 02:46 AM

hey buddy, just checking in to see if you are having an update anytime soon. definitely looking forward to it!

I've made some machinima using it.. it's a gta iv zombie series I am doing!

I used them most in this particular episode, (now up to 5 episodes + a teaser within 2 weeks of starting the project)

jtr007
  • jtr007

Sup?

• Members

Posted 23 August 2011 - 11:29 AM

Great work! really looks like you put alot of time and effort into it mate! smile.gif

Are you also changing the normal maps too?
It'll add even more detail? happy.gif

MrSnaztastic
  • MrSnaztastic

Machinimator

• Members

Posted 25 August 2011 - 05:33 PM Edited by MrSnaztastic, 25 August 2011 - 06:09 PM.

Good stuff, Ubtri!

Nice to see people enjoying and using the mod creatively. I was thinking about doing another update soon actually. Got another 30ish models zombified, but I think I'll put that off until I've finished my own zombie film. Maybe towards the end of September.

In answer to the normal and specular map question, yes, I've been altering those as well. Really helps sell wounds, veins etc. Although I decide on a zombie-by-zombie basis whether to do this. If I change the normal and spec maps, it means I have to have the same wound for each version of the character's face, because there's only one normal map that's shared between three different faces or more. Sure, it'll look more realistic and cool, but it reduces the amount of variation I can have in my horde.

I've found ways around this single normal/specular map issue, but in the end it's two extra textures to paint and I've got a lot of zombies to go through. Some will have the extra detail, some won't. Besides, unless you're looking a zombie in the eye, you won't notice if they have normal maps or not most of the time.

wahgah
  • wahgah

Lost In Postion

• Members

Posted 25 August 2011 - 08:33 PM

Is there a possibility of scripting your textures in their own img file and when they become "infected" it swaps to the zombie skin?

MrSnaztastic
  • MrSnaztastic

Machinimator

• Members

Posted 26 August 2011 - 04:34 AM Edited by MrSnaztastic, 26 August 2011 - 04:37 AM.

QUOTE (wahgah @ Thursday, Aug 25 2011, 20:33)
Is there a possibility of scripting your textures in their own img file and when they become "infected" it swaps to the zombie skin?

You may be confused. Are you thinking of Contagium? I only make skins, besides, I stated my goal at the top. When I'm done, there won't BE any uninfected. You'll load up and the whole city is zombified.

I haven't got a clue about scripting, never created anything like that. Of course, I'd be fine with someone else making a trainer or custom img or whatever to go with my mod. If anyone feels like it, go ahead. The raw files are right there in the download.

Me, I'm busy adding blood decals.

wahgah
  • wahgah

Lost In Postion

• Members

Posted 26 August 2011 - 08:21 PM

I only asked the question in your thread because it wouldn't fit anywhere else, The problem I see is that there are normal people in contagion as well and it would it would look weird with "normal people" zomibes and real zombies running around.
You have done an awesome job I just hope a scripter can figure out a way to make it like red deads "realtime" infection is all.

MrSnaztastic
  • MrSnaztastic

Machinimator

• Members

Posted 28 August 2011 - 08:40 PM Edited by MrSnaztastic, 28 August 2011 - 08:43 PM.

QUOTE (wahgah @ Friday, Aug 26 2011, 20:21)
I only asked the question in your thread because it wouldn't fit anywhere else, The problem I see is that there are normal people in contagion as well and it would it would look weird with "normal people" zomibes and real zombies running around.
You have done an awesome job I just hope a scripter can figure out a way to make it like red deads "realtime" infection is all.

It'd be great if some clever scripter managed to do that yeah. Would need both the zombified and unzombified sets of each character's textures in one IMG. No mean feat to do that, let alone change em on the fly.

But about Contagium... just get blacked out to stage 3 and all is well.
Oh, and don't install the cop zombie. It's a little strange to see them shooting their own kind.

ubtri
  • ubtri

Zombie Killer

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 30 August 2011 - 11:42 PM Edited by ubtri, 30 August 2011 - 11:44 PM.

You guys should use the zombie mod Left 4 Liberty Infection -- it's great, even has running zombies. looks fantastic with your skins!

...Still waiting on that update :-)

Couple more videos too...

lD E M O N ii C
  • lD E M O N ii C

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 05 September 2011 - 11:37 PM

Hey MrSnaztastic have you finished the zombie texture yet if so can you put a download link up I would like to try them out is this for PC or Xbox 360 because I know how to import PC textures on Xbox so I would like to try that out thanx. colgate.gif

MrSnaztastic
  • MrSnaztastic

Machinimator

• Members

Posted 08 September 2011 - 12:07 PM

QUOTE (lD E M O N ii C @ Monday, Sep 5 2011, 23:37)
Hey MrSnaztastic have you finished the zombie texture yet if so can you put a download link up I would like to try them out is this for PC or Xbox 360 because I know how to import PC textures on Xbox so I would like to try that out thanx. colgate.gif

Um.. there's a link in the very first post of this thread to download the mod from GTA Garage.

I'm not finished yet, but just over half done. The majority of people you see walking around Liberty will be zombified.

fakespyder
  • fakespyder

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 21 September 2011 - 01:53 AM

Just saw your update on gtagarage regarding the next version. I look forward to it.
Your skins create a big part of the atmosphere cool.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users