Photo

The Wire

87 replies to this topic
Waddy
  • Waddy

Gods foster son.

• None

Posted 21 December 2012 - 05:13 PM

I started watching it when Sky Atlantic started to screen it early this year, just about to move to S5 and its been amazing.
I like to build a few episodes up then watch, its fantastic TV.

Vormek
  • Vormek

I am not in danger. I AM the danger!

• Members

Posted 26 December 2012 - 06:32 PM

"My name is my name" - Marlo Stanfield

Punk-in-Drublic
  • Punk-in-Drublic

Gangsta

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 29 December 2012 - 02:52 PM

Just started watching this, third episode in. Really enjoying it thus far.

Punk-in-Drublic
  • Punk-in-Drublic

Gangsta

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 10 February 2013 - 01:08 PM

Sorry for the double post, but I've just finished season 2 and loved it, I like the comfortable pace of the storylines, they pay off massively in the end, and the sheer depth and realism of the characters. It's amazing. Just watched x3.01 and I can tell I'm going to enjoy this series too. It's going to be interesting to see Brother Mouzone's reaction to Stringer and Prop Joe's attempt on his life and how the major case unit infiltrate Stringer and Prop Joe's drug trade.

Mister Pink
  • Mister Pink

Mensch I Natur I Technik

• The Precinct
  • None
  • Best Poster [Music] 2014
    Most Knowledgeable [Music] 2013
    Best Contributor [Music] 2012

Posted 10 February 2013 - 01:24 PM

I'll be ready to start watching season 3 again. Can't believe I forgot so much that happens in The Wire. I suppose you remember certain things or big events in it and the other memories get pushed away.

Brother Mouzone is brilliant. As is Cheese AKA Method Man. Been listening to a good bit of Wu Tang Clan recently and I keep thinking Cheese every time Method Man raps. biggrin.gif

Punk-in-Drublic
  • Punk-in-Drublic

Gangsta

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 10 February 2013 - 03:18 PM

Brother Mouzone reminds me of Gus Fring from Breaking Bad.

Waddy
  • Waddy

Gods foster son.

• None

Posted 17 February 2013 - 07:42 AM

I'm coming to the end of the final season sad.gif

Really has been some ups and downs when you watch the entire series from the start every week, amazing TV. I will really miss it.

SIKKS66
  • SIKKS66

Horny

• Leone Family Mafia
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 17 February 2013 - 09:45 PM

QUOTE (Wreckless Jake @ Sunday, Feb 10 2013, 15:18)
Brother Mouzone reminds me of Gus Fring from Breaking Bad.

...good shout. I never noticed that before.

@Waddy: If it's any consolation... I finished watching it for the second time through a few weeks ago after having watched it originally back in like 2008-9. I must say after a few years it's just as -- if not more -- enjoyable the second time through! colgate.gif

I will never tire of returning to Bodymore. Sheeeeeiiiiiiiiiiiit.

Mister Pink
  • Mister Pink

Mensch I Natur I Technik

• The Precinct
  • None

Posted 17 February 2013 - 09:53 PM

QUOTE (Waddy @ Sunday, Feb 17 2013, 08:42)
I'm coming to the end of the final season sad.gif

Really has been some ups and downs when you watch the entire series from the start every week, amazing TV. I will really miss it.

I actually felt quite sad when it ended. It was one of those shows that I knew was just going to be hard to top as I watched it. It's an adventure and that last montage is great and sad at the same time. Not just for the characters but for the fact you know something amazing is coming to an end. Luckily, I'm finding my second watching even better than the first time.

Yeah Jake, he reminds me of Gus too. icon14.gif

Just started season 3 and watched 4 episodes today. biggrin.gif

Punk-in-Drublic
  • Punk-in-Drublic

Gangsta

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 02 March 2013 - 12:23 PM

Just finished this last night, it's been by far the best series I've ever watched along side The Sopranos, can't wait to watch it again in a few months time.

Hart
  • Hart

who are you

• Members

Posted 03 March 2013 - 12:14 PM

IMO it's the best show ever (followed closely by the likes of Sopranos, Oz, etc).

I've probably rewatched the whole series about 3 times and I'm rewatching it again as we speak. I've probably seen Season 2 like 4 times haha!

Oh, and Wreckless Jake; make sure you do give it another watch because there'll be so many things you didn't notice the first time. For example D'Angelo Barksdale notes quite a few times how "you just live with this sh*t till you can't breathe no more", and " I just want to go somewhere, where I can breathe like regular folk", and then he gets choked to death in Season 2.

Forty
  • Forty

he shouts stroke darker the strings

• The Precinct
  • None

Posted 05 March 2013 - 04:45 AM

You've watched season 2 four times but that's my least favorite season by far. Still an amazing show, and even the worst season was still great.

Hart
  • Hart

who are you

• Members

Posted 05 March 2013 - 08:48 AM

Nah Season 5 was the 'worst' season, even though it was still great. The whole McNulty fake serial killers thing was a bit off from everything else.

I know some people don't like season 2 because it was a big departure from the projects, but I think it has the best actual case, in terms of how they actually build it and get evidence. I love the feel of picking up the pieces and building the case along with the police if you know what I mean. Plus there were some great characters; Boris (Sergei), the Greek, Frank Sobotka, etc

Mister Pink
  • Mister Pink

Mensch I Natur I Technik

• The Precinct
  • None

Posted 05 March 2013 - 10:04 AM

QUOTE (Hart @ Tuesday, Mar 5 2013, 09:48)
Nah Season 5 was the 'worst' season, even though it was still great. The whole McNulty fake serial killers thing was a bit off from everything else.

I know some people don't like season 2 because it was a big departure from the projects, but I think it has the best actual case, in terms of how they actually build it and get evidence. I love the feel of picking up the pieces and building the case along with the police if you know what I mean. Plus there were some great characters; Boris (Sergei), the Greek, Frank Sobotka, etc

*Possible spoilers for season 2.*

Totally agree.

I loved season 2 as well. I was a little disappointed it moved away from the blocks but I could quickly see what they were doing. I just rewatched up to season 3 there and 2 was even better, the second time around.

The Greeks are f*cking cool. They have a psychopathic killer/enforcer "Did he have a face? Did he have hands? Then no, it wasn't us." The way the head honcho then says at dinner that he's not even Greek is amazing or at least there's a question of where he's actually from. They got nothing on him. They move around with new identities, staying out of hotels. They're almost untraceable.

What's great about season 2 is the departure from the poor and the blacks to more white-guy crime. Crime is like a by-product of the area. They're mostly white Polish-Americans down at the docks. The shipping business is dry so you see the crime they get in to, robbing freights. The only drug-dealing you see in that season is mainly from White Mike who was a total snitch. Ziggy was terribly annoying the first time I watched the Wire. The second time I felt he was more humane. He was really stupid, yes but I almost felt empathy for him. especially when you see him locked up with all the savages.

Frank Sobotka was great, as well.

user posted image

Vormek
  • Vormek

• Members

Posted 30 March 2013 - 11:23 PM

This is one of my favorite scenes in The Wire.

ZerrickiShadow
  • ZerrickiShadow

Rat

• Members

Posted 30 March 2013 - 11:53 PM

I am still unsure about this show. I am around three episodes in and I got kinda bored. Does it get more interesting? I mean I am considering going back and re-watching those episodes because I want to make sure I got it all. I heard Omar is the best character but so far I think I have only seen a little bit of him.

Ronmar The Only
  • Ronmar The Only

Storyteller, Plus Hopeless Romantic.

• The Connection

Posted 31 March 2013 - 12:56 AM

You really have to watch the entire first season before even thinking about putting it down.

Then you're going to be angry that they change the location and drop a few characters to really small roles in the second season.

And by the end of the third season, you'll probably think it is one of the best shows ever made.

Seriously.

JOSEPH X
  • JOSEPH X

Boss

• Members

Posted 31 March 2013 - 02:24 AM

I only watched this a couple of weeks ago. I watched one episode when it first came out and couldn't get into it - probably because it was well into the series. Found a site streaming all the episodes and got right into it. I watched the whole five series in about seven days, starting with series two and finishing with series one.

I think the whole McNulty faking a serial killer was the worst plot too, but that series also had the best plot with Michael turning into Omar at the end

user posted image

Mister Pink
  • Mister Pink

Mensch I Natur I Technik

• The Precinct
  • None

Posted 31 March 2013 - 05:46 PM Edited by ThePinkFloydSound, 01 April 2013 - 01:54 AM.

QUOTE (ZerrickiShadow @ Sunday, Mar 31 2013, 00:53)
I am still unsure about this show. I am around three episodes in and I got kinda bored. Does it get more interesting? I mean I am considering going back and re-watching those episodes because I want to make sure I got it all. I heard Omar is the best character but so far I think I have only seen a little bit of him.

The pay-off for the likes of The Wire is much great than most shows. But that's because it's more layered. Some people say it's the closest motion picture there is to reading a book. I've just finished season 4 on my second watch. I picked up some details that I missed first time. I'm even enjoying it more 2nd time around.

People usually in to The Wire that I've met will say it's one of their favourite or best shows they've ever seen. Most people I know that caught on to it early are good film and TV loving people that often tend not to watch trashy shows. The Wire is also a very word-of-mouth show. It keeps popping it's head up as it gets passed around and blows peoples minds. It wasn't very popular when it originally aired. In my country it originally aired on one of our national Irish speaking stations. I tried to watch it a bit but of course it's not the show like Breaking Bad where you could almost jump in to watch it half-way through a season and still be able to follow it coherently.

The show is undisputedly one of the best written pieces ever to air. That's not an exaggeration. My advice is to try hard to like it. If you still don't, try again because I'd think it's a big shame to miss out on a show that's going down in history as a classic.

Besides, the future classic characters, you have not met yet. The successors of the Barksdale crew.... (not a spoiler you'd be fooled if you thought there was some way that crew or any crew was going to survive)..

user posted image

To add, if you like some realism, you like The Wire. The only thing I didn't like about finishing The Wire is that other popular shows just seem even more OTT and unrealistic. A bit like season 5. As someone mentioned, McNulty's story in season 5 is a bit OTT but still enjoyable nonetheless.

EDIT: Anyone catch Bunk in season 4 chatting with McNulty and their kids. McNulty kids were chatting about what they want to do when they are older. They said something like...

"Video game designer for Rockstar Games."

Awesomeness.

ZerrickiShadow
  • ZerrickiShadow

Rat

• Members

Posted 01 April 2013 - 09:15 PM

QUOTE (ThePinkFloydSound @ Sunday, Mar 31 2013, 17:46)
QUOTE (ZerrickiShadow @ Sunday, Mar 31 2013, 00:53)

The pay-off for the likes of The Wire is much great than most shows. But that's because it's more layered. Some people say it's the closest motion picture there is to reading a book. I've just finished season 4 on my second watch. I picked up some details that I missed first time. I'm even enjoying it more 2nd time around.

People usually in to The Wire that I've met will say it's one of their favourite or best shows they've ever seen. Most people I know that caught on to it early are good film and TV loving people that often tend not to watch trashy shows. The Wire is also a very word-of-mouth show. It keeps popping it's head up as it gets passed around and blows peoples minds. It wasn't very popular when it originally aired. In my country it originally aired on one of our national Irish speaking stations. I tried to watch it a bit but of course it's not the show like Breaking Bad where you could almost jump in to watch it half-way through a season and still be able to follow it coherently.

The show is undisputedly one of the best written pieces ever to air. That's not an exaggeration. My advice is to try hard to like it. If you still don't, try again because I'd think it's a big shame to miss out on a show that's going down in history as a classic.

Besides, the future classic characters, you have not met yet. The successors of the Barksdale crew.... (not a spoiler you'd be fooled if you thought there was some way that crew or any crew was going to survive)..

user posted image

To add, if you like some realism, you like The Wire. The only thing I didn't like about finishing The Wire is that other popular shows just seem even more OTT and unrealistic. A bit like season 5. As someone mentioned, McNulty's story in season 5 is a bit OTT but still enjoyable nonetheless.

EDIT: Anyone catch Bunk in season 4 chatting with McNulty and their kids. McNulty kids were chatting about what they want to do when they are older. They said something like...

"Video game designer for Rockstar Games."

Awesomeness.

I'll take your word for it, and I will rewatch the episodes I dozed off during. It is a really good show and the realism is like no other, but it's almost so realistic I wonder why they didn't just make a documentary about Baltimore. The thing about the Barksdale Crew didn't surprise me because if the show is realistic no drug organization/crew is going to survive the entire time.

Ronmar The Only
  • Ronmar The Only

Storyteller, Plus Hopeless Romantic.

• The Connection

Posted 02 April 2013 - 01:39 AM

QUOTE (ZerrickiShadow @ Monday, Apr 1 2013, 17:15)
QUOTE (ThePinkFloydSound @ Sunday, Mar 31 2013, 17:46)
<snip>

I'll take your word for it, and I will rewatch the episodes I dozed off during. It is a really good show and the realism is like no other, but it's almost so realistic I wonder why they didn't just make a documentary about Baltimore. The thing about the Barksdale Crew didn't surprise me because if the show is realistic no drug organization/crew is going to survive the entire time.

Well, the principal creator of the series (David Simon, I say principal because he colluded with Ed Burns quite a bit) actually wrote a book about his life following around the Baltimore PD called Homicide: A Year on the Killing Streets. It was first adapted as an NBC show if I recall correctly. David Simon wrote another book called The Corner which was adapted as an HBO Miniseries.

The reason why it is so realistic but not a documentary is because (a) I don't really see any criminal organization and police department really allowing such in depth access [the police department maybe] and (b) Simon wanted to be able to tell the story of what is happening on the streets to as many people as possible.

Just talking about the Wire makes me want to go back and re-watch it all.

El Diablo
  • El Diablo

"The Devil"

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Mars
  • April Fools Loser 2015

Posted 02 April 2013 - 02:16 AM

QUOTE (ZerrickiShadow @ Monday, Apr 1 2013, 15:15)
it's almost so realistic I wonder why they didn't just make a documentary about Baltimore.

well they kind of did.

as Ronmar tried to explain, David Simon and Ed Burns are the real deal.
Simon is a former Baltimore beat writer for the Sun. his main focus during his journalism career was law enforcement, homicide, and drug trafficking. Burns is a former Baltimore detective who worked in homicide and narcotics.

originally, Simon and Burns collaborated on a series books which documented the actual cases and criminals that they had followed during their tenure.
these books were the basis for a pseudo-documentary series known as Homicide - Life on the Street.

this mini documentary was in-turn the basis for The Wire.
most, if not all, of the characters and events in the show are based on real people and real events.

aside from the fact that The Wire is an incredible show, it's almost twice as incredible when you realize that it's basically a true story.

Mister Pink
  • Mister Pink

Mensch I Natur I Technik

• The Precinct
  • None

Posted 10 April 2013 - 03:14 PM

QUOTE (ZerrickiShadow @ Monday, Apr 1 2013, 15:15)
it's almost so realistic I wonder why they didn't just make a documentary about Baltimore.

It's the beauty of "fiction" like a good GTA. You have a city based on a real city. You design the cars, the landscape and the characters. Now, you write the story but all the stories and cars are based on real things that happen. So why not make a documentary? Because when you a producing a film you have control. Everything you see in a frame of a film is placed there for a reason to either expand the character(s) of to give us sub-plo or push the narrative in way.

In a documentary, you'd be getting talking heads, maybe write telling you this stuff. Also making a realistic show or film is an achievement and goal for filmmakers. Trying to capture authenticity. It's harder work to make something more realistic and believable. I hope that answers your question. biggrin.gif Sorry if I come across as condescending or anything negative.

Glad you are going to take another pop at it. I'm trying not to speak of it as a fanboy but as a filmmaker and creative person.

Vormek
  • Vormek

• Members

Posted 25 April 2013 - 08:44 PM

Just finished the entire show in about two weeks. Damn, season 4 was really good! Chris and Snoop must be the coldest duo ever.
What a quotable show by the way.

- He mean a Lexus, but he ain't know it.

- You want it to be one way. But it's the other way.

- The f*ck did I do?

- The game is the game.

- Where the f*ck is Wallace?

man dragon
  • man dragon

Gangsta

• Members

Posted 26 April 2013 - 05:13 AM

I'd rank the seasons from favourite to least: 4, 2, 1, 3, 5. But hey, personal opinion. It's not to say I didn't enjoy Season 3 or 5 or anything either, even at it's worst The Wire was better than every other show.

fluffyheretic
  • fluffyheretic

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 26 April 2013 - 05:24 AM

I think the only reason I enjoyed season 5 less than the others is because I knew it was going to end.

Mister Pink
  • Mister Pink

Mensch I Natur I Technik

• The Precinct
  • None

Posted 26 April 2013 - 02:16 PM

QUOTE (man dragon @ Friday, Apr 26 2013, 06:13)
I'd rank the seasons from favourite to least: 4, 2, 1, 3, 5. But hey, personal opinion. It's not to say I didn't enjoy Season 3 or 5 or anything either, even at it's worst The Wire was better than every other show.

Swap 1 with 4 are we are probably on the same page. icon14.gif

unc13bud
  • unc13bud

Weekend Answerer

• Members
  • None

Posted 07 May 2013 - 03:44 PM

because David Simon didn't know from season to season if the wire would survive, he wrote a book with one of the other writers from the show.
http://www.amazon.co...TF8&me=&seller=
it is definitely worth buying if you thought either the first\second season was the best (David Simon said the second season was the most watched because it had the most Caucasian characters)
by the way, the brother who "The Corner", thus "The Wire" was based on, passed away:
http://articles.balt...ose-david-simon
he was the brother "Lamar" that was assisting Brother Mouzone.
http://www.nytimes.c...at-35.html?_r=0
if you liked the third season the most, they have tour guides:
http://www2.citypape...ry.asp?id=11846
i didn't like the fifth season because of total unreality of the story line. omar was just too over the top, and i think they should have left him out of the season entirely.

Judicious 7
  • Judicious 7

Compassionate

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 17 July 2014 - 11:49 PM

tumblr_lyc9d7puLl1r0hv2ko1_1280.jpg

This show really should be taught in colleges and universities. The Wire isn't just some 'cop show'. It's a show about human nature.

SimsDaniel916
  • SimsDaniel916

Future LE Officer

• Leone Family Mafia
  • United-States

Posted 02 September 2014 - 01:10 AM

Wednesday's at 8PM starting September 4th The Wire will be rebroadcasted in HD, for the first time!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users