Grand Theft Auto IV: London

441 replies to this topic
Tyla
  • Tyla

Vice Cat

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 28 November 2010 - 05:37 PM

I've never seen 'Taken', but I've been looking to involve the Albanians based upon the plot of the movie 'Freight' where a gang of people smugglers kidnap the daughter of a local gangster and her friends and give him the ultimatum of coughing up a ransom for their release or they will be sold into the sex trade.

Thought they're a small minority, they could travel to Britain every so often - maybe every in-game fortnight - and do some business which prompts the players attention. Could be a good way to include them?

Pac.
  • Pac.

• BUSTED!

Posted 28 November 2010 - 05:45 PM

QUOTE (Tyla @ Nov 28 2010, 17:37)
I've never seen 'Taken', but I've been looking to involve the Albanians based upon the plot of the movie 'Freight' where a gang of people smugglers kidnap the daughter of a local gangster and her friends and give him the ultimatum of coughing up a ransom for their release or they will be sold into the sex trade.

Thought they're a small minority, they could travel to Britain every so often - maybe every in-game fortnight - and do some business which prompts the players attention. Could be a good way to include them?

Taken is almost about the same thing about human smuggling and sex trade, involving Albanians taking liam nelson's or whatever his name is daughter and friend based in Paris, it's very, very good. Great Action movie.

BrownBear
  • BrownBear

Dr. Green Thumb.

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 28 November 2010 - 05:49 PM

Certainly include them, just don't make them central.
The main human traffickers at the time would be most likely be the Turkish/Kurdish gangs and the Triads, the latter probably more prominent.

PS: Taken was crap, certainly not anything to base them off.

Tyla
  • Tyla

Vice Cat

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 28 November 2010 - 06:01 PM

To be honest, I could make real horrible bastard sort Human Traffickers out of all of them. The question I would like to put to you two is, how would you go about including Human Trafficking in a GTA setting? Particularly this one? Have the protagonist involved in it or against it?

I have my own idea's of how I'm going to feature it but I would love to hear your suggestions.

BrownBear
  • BrownBear

Dr. Green Thumb.

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 28 November 2010 - 06:05 PM

I'm not sure to be honest.
One piece of advice is to make the Turkish Mafia really horrible, they were notorious for torture.
I believe in the early 2000s the police raided a Turkish Mafia owned house in Haringey and found meat hooks, hammers, knives, blow torches and hooks on the ceiling to suspend people while torturing them. Truly sickening b*stards.

Tyla
  • Tyla

Vice Cat

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 28 November 2010 - 06:14 PM

I do believe I read that same story because I have one of these so called 'Torture Chambers' listed as an easter egg the player could walk into. Now imagine that; you break into that quiet, innocent looking semi in North London in search of a TV and Hi-Fi for your van outside and instead find a half-hacked up corpse dripping blood all over the garage floor, suspended from the ceiling!

Maybe it would be too much to have a full on Turkish torture scene, as it seems I'm spoilt for choice when it comes to sick bastards lol.gif Wait until I introduce John Sharpe & Toolbox...

BrownBear
  • BrownBear

Dr. Green Thumb.

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 28 November 2010 - 06:17 PM

Maybe one of the members of the Caine Firm gets kidnapped and tortured by them, then you and your guys have to go and attack them back.

Maybe this sparks an all out war with them?

Akavari
  • Akavari

Gangsta

• Members
  • None

Posted 28 November 2010 - 06:17 PM

QUOTE (Tyla @ Nov 28 2010, 18:14)
I do believe I read that same story because I have one of these so called 'Torture Chambers' listed as an easter egg the player could walk into. Now imagine that; you break into that quiet, innocent looking semi in North London in search of a TV and Hi-Fi for your van outside and instead find a half-hacked up corpse dripping blood all over the garage floor, suspended from the ceiling!

Maybe it would be too much to have a full on Turkish torture scene, as it seems I'm spoilt for choice when it comes to sick bastards lol.gif Wait until I introduce John Sharpe & Toolbox...

John Sharpe seems like Jack the Ripper panic.gif

Pac.
  • Pac.

• BUSTED!

Posted 28 November 2010 - 06:20 PM

I would say try and make the protagonist in every sort of crime possible, to really make the underworld come out, sickening as it is.

I mean Albanians in taken and in real life made the women take drugs and force them into prostitution and when they don't make enough money they put the whores or innocent women in ice cold baths and drown them for a while, and beat them, the good ones though go through for bigger use though, like a more luxury prostitution.

I really liked taken, based on real events mixed with a sort of unrealistic one man army kind of theme.

Tyla
  • Tyla

Vice Cat

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 28 November 2010 - 06:25 PM

QUOTE (brownbear @ Nov 28 2010, 18:17)
Maybe one of the members of the Caine Firm gets kidnapped and tortured by them, then you and your guys have to go and attack them back.

I may actually do something with this.

The most violent aspect of this game would by far be Taxation, a sub-sect of the drugs system in the game which allows you to steal drugs and money from dealers by means of violence and intimidation. Ray is introduced to this initially by Arthur who wants his piece of the exploding drugs market without dealing in them himself; he assigns you and Sharpe to go 'round some Yardie's house and 'Tax' them. You are thrown into a mini-game where you are tasked with verbally intimidating/mentally disturbing your victim into giving up their stash. Originally, the punishment for refusing to give up the stash involved you, 'Sharpey and an Iron, but I'm not sure of whether that sort of detail would be appreciated on these forums. Of course, my idea coupled with yours could provide suitable retribution in form of Turkish torture if I replaced the Yardie with a Turkish smack dealer.

@akavari: Whatever gave you that idea? lol.gif

Akavari
  • Akavari

Gangsta

• Members
  • None

Posted 28 November 2010 - 06:29 PM

QUOTE (Tyla @ Nov 28 2010, 18:25)

The most violent aspect of this game would by far be Taxation, a sub-sect of the drugs system in the game which allows you to steal drugs and money from dealers by means of violence and intimidation. Ray is introduced to this initially by Arthur who wants his piece of the exploding drugs market without dealing in them himself; he assigns you and Sharpe to go 'round some Yardie's house and 'Tax' them. You are thrown into a mini-game where you are tasked with verbally intimidating/mentally disturbing your victim into giving up their stash. Originally, the punishment for refusing to give up the stash involved you, 'Sharpey and an Iron, but I'm not sure of whether that sort of detail would be appreciated on these forums. Of course, my idea coupled with yours could provide suitable retribution in form of Turkish torture if I replaced the Yardie with a Turkish smack dealer.

His name seems kind of similar, his face looks like a serial killer, and he is made out to be this ruthless murdering enforcer...

TommyMufc-Champs
  • TommyMufc-Champs

Account ditched. New account Tommy.

• Members

Posted 28 November 2010 - 06:31 PM

So much detail, you definitely captured the London feeling just right. One of the best concepts around here.

Akavari
  • Akavari

Gangsta

• Members
  • None

Posted 28 November 2010 - 06:33 PM

Are you going to have any influence from modern crime films like Snatch/RocknRolla?

Tyla
  • Tyla

Vice Cat

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 28 November 2010 - 06:34 PM

QUOTE (akavari112 @ Nov 28 2010, 18:29)

His name seems kind of similar, his face looks like a serial killer, and he is made out to be this ruthless murdering enforcer...

Thank you, I'm actually glad you got that impression!

If you've ever read The Godfather, its revealed Luca Brasi impregnated an Irish prostitute, did not wish for the baby and thus ordered the midwife to throw the child into a burning furnace. That, and the fact Brasi was Don Vito's fanatical henchman was where I got the inspiration from. I could work on the serial killer bit if it would be interesting to have one of your men going around murdering people while the player themselves are going around about their business.

re Snatch & RocknRolla: Not really. Aside from the fighting gypsies in Snatch... I haven't seen RocknRolla.

BrownBear
  • BrownBear

Dr. Green Thumb.

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 28 November 2010 - 06:35 PM

Maybe in the end you are ordered to kill John because his serial murders are attracting attention to your gang?

TommyMufc-Champs
  • TommyMufc-Champs

• Members

Posted 28 November 2010 - 06:37 PM

Like akavari said, I think you should take inspiration from modern crime films. Snatch and Lock Stock and two smoking barrels are good ones.

Akavari
  • Akavari

Gangsta

• Members
  • None

Posted 28 November 2010 - 06:37 PM Edited by akavari112, 28 November 2010 - 06:40 PM.

QUOTE (Tyla @ Nov 28 2010, 18:34)
QUOTE (akavari112 @ Nov 28 2010, 18:29)

Thank you, I'm actually glad you got that impression!

If you've ever read The Godfather, its revealed Luca Brasi impregnated an Irish prostitute, did not wish for the baby and thus ordered the midwife to throw the child into a burning furnace. That, and the fact Brasi was Don Vito's fanatical henchman was where I got the inspiration from. I could work on the serial killer bit if it would be interesting to have one of your men going around murdering people while the player themselves are going around about their business.

re Snatch & RocknRolla: Not really. Aside from the fighting gypsies in Snatch... I haven't seen RocknRolla.

Wait, so it's implied that John Sharpe is Luca Brasi's son!?!?!? That would be one f*cking epic easter egg.

edit: I agree with Tommy; just the whole style of the movies are great for GTA because its like all these events going down in a short time span, where everyone is f*cking each other and its just mass confusion.

Tyla
  • Tyla

Vice Cat

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 28 November 2010 - 06:41 PM

QUOTE (brownbear @ Nov 28 2010, 18:35)
Maybe in the end you are ordered to kill John because his serial murders are attracting attention to your gang?

I don't think I'll go as far as killing him off. He could die, but the way I have things planned it wouldn't make sense for it to be at the player's hand. I will tell you he gets caged at some point and ends up back en route to Broadmoor, though.

@Tommy: What specifically from Lock Stock/Snatch? They're the only two I have seen, and the only two characters who caught my eye that I could put in here were 'Hatchet Harry' (who is Sharpe) and Barry 'The Baptist' whom the player takes several cues from.

TommyMufc-Champs
  • TommyMufc-Champs

• Members

Posted 28 November 2010 - 06:45 PM

Well yes two interesting characters which will work well. But I think you should maybe meet a guy who organizes fights.,Maybe a way to make money? Selling weapons?

BrownBear
  • BrownBear

Dr. Green Thumb.

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 28 November 2010 - 06:51 PM

QUOTE (Tyla @ Nov 28 2010, 18:41)
QUOTE (brownbear @ Nov 28 2010, 18:35)

I don't think I'll go as far as killing him off. He could die, but the way I have things planned it wouldn't make sense for it to be at the player's hand. I will tell you he gets caged at some point and ends up back en route to Broadmoor, though.

@Tommy: What specifically from Lock Stock/Snatch? They're the only two I have seen, and the only two characters who caught my eye that I could put in here were 'Hatchet Harry' (who is Sharpe) and Barry 'The Baptist' whom the player takes several cues from.

How about you and a friend are sent to murder him because of his serial murders; however he and a group of followers ambushes you after hearing about this and wounds your friend, he tells you to leave and you have to drive off.
You then learn that John and his gang horrendously tortured him and dumped his body in the Thames. Luckily John was arrested and, because of the nature of the crime, is sent to Broadmoor.

Yay or nay?

Just an idea I had tounge.gif .

Tyla
  • Tyla

Vice Cat

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 28 November 2010 - 06:56 PM Edited by Tyla, 28 November 2010 - 07:00 PM.

QUOTE (TommyMufc-Champs @ Nov 28 2010, 18:45)
But I think you should maybe meet a guy who organizes fights.,Maybe a way to make money? Selling weapons?

Bareknuckle Boxing? What do you think?

QUOTE (akavari112)
Wait, so it's implied that John Sharpe is Luca Brasi's son!?!?!? That would be one f*cking epic easter egg.

lol.gif I didn't mean that.... but it sounds brilliant!

No family connection, the only thing they will have in common is that both are the ultra-violent hatchet men of their boss. P.H Moriarty who I used as his face appeared in a movie called 'The Long Good Friday' as 'Razors', who is the character pics. I think you can find the scene on youtube where he and Bob Hoskins burst into some guys flat and proceed to harm him via means of a machete.

"Sixty-five inches of stitching... now you're going to feel what it's like boy."

edit: Here it is: Inspiration

@Brownbear: I'll bear it mind, you've provoked the thought in my mind that it could happen now.

TommyMufc-Champs
  • TommyMufc-Champs

• Members

Posted 28 November 2010 - 07:07 PM

Nice Tyla. Bare Knuckle fight lol.gif

BrownBear
  • BrownBear

Dr. Green Thumb.

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 28 November 2010 - 07:41 PM

Hey,
I'm currently writing my own 60s London topic, you don't mind if I steal your layout do you?

Tyla
  • Tyla

Vice Cat

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 28 November 2010 - 07:43 PM

What is it you're wanting to use? The tables?

BrownBear
  • BrownBear

Dr. Green Thumb.

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 28 November 2010 - 07:49 PM

QUOTE (Tyla @ Nov 28 2010, 19:43)
What is it you're wanting to use? The tables?

The general outline of the topic, the subject of each paragraph if you get me?

I apologise if it seems like I am copying some of your ideas, the subjects are quite similar so some ideas will be similar but I will try to make it as toned down as possible.

Tyla
  • Tyla

Vice Cat

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 28 November 2010 - 07:51 PM

The headers? These?

Sure, you can use them. As long as you'd give a link back to this topic and the due credit to CCPD for making them, you're welcome to smile.gif

BrownBear
  • BrownBear

Dr. Green Thumb.

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 28 November 2010 - 07:55 PM

I mean the subject of the paragraphs and such, like say your first paragraph is about the outline of the story, so is mine, see what I mean?

Tyla
  • Tyla

Vice Cat

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 28 November 2010 - 08:00 PM Edited by Tyla, 22 January 2011 - 04:11 PM.

@Brownbear: Oh that? Go for it! As long as you don't nick any of my content its up to you how you set it out. When are you looking to get your topic up?

AND, here's the third mission, "If Your Name's Not Down". As you can see by the link to 'Planet Earth' I'm going to try and find some way to work the music into future missions I post. I'll see what I can do about posting some more updates in the next couple of days. Defiantly going to be taking some of the suggestions here into account. Thanks & enjoy.

If Your Name’s Not Down

You arrive at the ‘Af’ marker in the West End of the map to find yourself standing outside of a nightclub by the name of the ‘Lyons Den’. Confrontation is heard in the background; shouting, arguing. A bloodied young man is tossed from the door to the ground. He quickly scrambles to his feet as two men fill out the doorway.

Man 1: Go on, f*ck off.

Man 2: And don’t come back.

The drunk wipes the blood from his split lip and begins to shout at them.

Drunk: I’ll be f*ckin’ back for you man. I’ll be f*ckin’ back for all you’s. ‘Ya f*ckin’ ‘baw heeds.

He turns and storms away, bumping into you.

Ray: Steady on son.

Drunk: Upye!

He staggers away and you approach the entrance, only to be denied entry by one of the men as the club is full. You tell him you were sent by Alan in search of work, at which point he allows you inside. He introduces himself as Lenny Lyons, co-owner of the nightclub in a partnership with Alan. The drunkard you saw being ejected glassed one of his lads in a brawl and as he has to take him to be seen to at a medic, prompting him to ask you if you are up for taking a post in the club while he is away, offering you the chance to work alongside Franco whom you saw earlier. You agree; Lenny tells you he has a spare tuxedo in the locker that you can change into for the night and then leaves with the injured bouncer.

Change into the tuxedo, complete with black dickie bow tie, to start working. Frank tells you that he will take care of the door while you man the floor and to get rid of anyone who causes trouble.

You enter the dance floor to the tune of blazing synthesizers; a large crowd of people are dancing to ‘Planet Earth’ underneath flashing lights, another group are over by the bar and some congregate around the toilets. It is your job to watch all of them and make sure any trouble is appropriately dealt with. Some will talk to you when they near you. Press < to respond in a negative manner; “Why are you wearing lipstick, you c*nt?” or tap > for a friendlier “Enjoying yourself, mate?”

Eventually a woman will approach you and inform you that it is kicking off in the toilets between her boyfriend and another man. Follow her to the situation or press < to ignore her (which will cause the situation to rapidly escalate into a bigger problem). The two men are pushing and shoving each other, arguing until the other man lamps the boyfriend. The girlfriend screams and he stumbles backwards; it’s now up to you to defuse the brawl and remove the man from the establishment.

You will notice once you lock on to the troublemaker from behind his health reticule will be a solid colour of red. This indicates you can knock him out/remove him without a fist fight. Press B/Circle; Ray will pounce on him from behind and choke him out in the form of fingers down the throat. He will move his fingers to the sides of the man’s mouth and pull them apart (try it, it isn’t nice!), using this to drag him out of the club and throw him out into the gutter.

You head back inside and immediately you are confronted with another escalating situation; the spilling of someone’s drinks descending into an argument between two more men. In this case, you want to defuse it without the use of force. Approach the confrontation and again using either < to order them to “Turn it in.” or > to talk some sense into the two lads by convincing them to make up over another drink. The suggestion of the drink proves to be successful and they walk off to the bar leaving you free to walk the floor.

Eventually you will find yourself in a confrontation you can’t get yourself out of without the use of force and the angry customer will force your hand in taking him out violently. The health reticule of your target will once again turn red but as your target is this time mobile you will have to time your strike right or risk losing the chance to knock him out.

Attacking him with Y/Triangle, Ray takes a hold of the targets head and drags it straight down into a knee strike to their skull. He is limply thrown to the floor and dragged out by his arms.

Frank will notice you are outside again: “How’re you finding it?” he asks.

Ray: f*ckin’ non-stop, mate.

Frank laughs: This is a quiet night!

The tranquillity is shattered by a roaring Scottish brogue: “OI!”

Frank and Ray turn to see three men charging down the street, the pulsing neck veins belonging to one of the aggressors who is carrying an empty bottle of beer.

He stands in front of his two friends, waving the bottle at the two of you: Which one of you c*nts did ‘ma brother?!

Frank freely challenges him having dealt with many of this kind before: You want some ‘an all?

Scot: Aye right, ‘MON THEN!

You are thrust back into the game and find yourself standing back to back with Frank, ready to take on the three men who have come to avenge the drunk that was kicked out earlier. Confront one of his friends first; lock onto him and press B/Circle to attack him with standard moves as prompted on screen. You exchange blows with the man before being prompted to knock him down; after hitting him with a left cross Ray delivers a demobilizing uppercut with his right that knocks the other man to the floor.

You are now faced with the bottle wielding brother, a tutorial that will teach you how to counter a melee attack. The system is much like IV and involves you dodging the attacker’s swing with the bottle at the appropriate moment. Upon said dodge Ray lunges at the target, seizing control of their hand and releasing the bottle from his grip whilst throwing a choking hand around their throat. He seizes the moment to deliver several headbutts to their chin and as they are dropped to their knees, Ray strikes them in the teeth with his knee. With Frank having dealt with the other, the mission is complete. Frank thanks you for backing him up and as Lenny arrives, tells him that Ray was a god-send tonight. Lenny is impressed and tells you to inquire about doing a couple of shifts when you need extra money. He also invites you to come down to the gym and meet the rest of his boys.

Mission Complete – Reward: £50.

BrownBear
  • BrownBear

Dr. Green Thumb.

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 28 November 2010 - 08:07 PM

I think friday is a safe bet for my topic.

Great mission, looking forward to more.

Tyla
  • Tyla

Vice Cat

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 29 November 2010 - 06:15 PM

I'm currently toying with the idea of writing short cutscenes in between missions as to explore events involving characters other than the protagonist (i.e Bucky Sligo, Derrick McReary, Desmond Savage, etc) and then bringing them all together for when it comes to the actual missions, much like Lock Stock & Snatch as Tommy & akavari suggested.

What are everybodies thoughts?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users