Crashing around the SF Docks

21 replies to this topic
Sayrawr
  • Sayrawr

Designer

• Members

Posted 24 November 2010 - 06:25 PM

This only happens with my first/main savegame
With other savegame/new game I can go there without crashing.
All savegames are mine.

I seriously don't know why I am crashing near the SF docks. I need to collect an oyster there. I crash around this area on the map:

http://img694.images...i/mapcrash.jpg/

Before I could go there without any problems, I completed NRG-500 Challenge and I also did some import/export vehicles but now when I try to go there I crash confused.gif

I have legit copy of game.
I am using CD
I re-installed
Also deleted Appdata Virtualstore of the game, also the modded game as well so it is totally wiped
Deleted gta_set

It is just this save game having issues. I really don't like the feeling of restarting a new game. I have almost 60% progress on this savegame and I would be pissed if I can't collect that oyster.

lil weasel
  • lil weasel

Shoot Looters, Hang Pirates!

• Members

Posted 24 November 2010 - 07:13 PM

Have you tried an earlier Save Game, and work back to that point.
Or. Have you used any Cheats, which ones?
You could try posting the save game so someone could try it.
You say your playing with a CD.
Did you mean the Original DVD not a 'backup' copy?

Sayrawr
  • Sayrawr

Designer

• Members

Posted 24 November 2010 - 07:56 PM

Earlier Save game? Well no I overwrite the savegame all the time although I have the earlier savegame on my old computer which is around at 45%.
I don't use any cheats on that savegame.

My Savegame:

http://gtasnp.com/download/23712

I am playing with original v2 disc (downgraded to v1)

lil weasel
  • lil weasel

• Members

Posted 24 November 2010 - 08:54 PM

Well... the game crashed for me too.
I first tried V1, the game wouldn't load at all. Crashed, Had to Shut down my computer to get back, even the C+A+Delte wouldn't work.
Tried again with V2 exe and was able to swim within 20 yards or so, and it crashed again.

You should use at least 6 of the 8 slots to save games in rotation. then you won't have to go too far back should a problem occur.

It must be a mod you have installed?

Anyway, If someone doesn't find a way to repair your save game you can select one from the MISSION HELP pinned topic of games. Be Sure to Pick one from the Version 2 set if you do.

Sayrawr
  • Sayrawr

Designer

• Members

Posted 24 November 2010 - 09:05 PM

But I don't get it, why is it only this savegame that crashes and others are fine?
Do you think it has something to do with Import/Export?

lil weasel
  • lil weasel

• Members

Posted 24 November 2010 - 09:10 PM

If you have modded the game... Yes.
Did you change any of the Vehicles files, especially one that was/is needed for the mission?

Sayrawr
  • Sayrawr

Designer

• Members

Posted 24 November 2010 - 09:14 PM

I modded the Infernus but I exported that before the crash and continued to export other vehicles too. I went to LV and did some missions there and came back for an oyster and crashed.
I also had some CLEOs, I will note them here:

Hide behind wall (Peek)
Taxi passenger
Throw grenade from vehicle
Turret

lil weasel
  • lil weasel

• Members

Posted 24 November 2010 - 09:24 PM

From previous topics.
I would say somehow one or more of your modifications to the game has affected it.

The fix would be to remove them all.
The start over installing one at a time and play the game until you find the one that crashes the game.

else:
QUOTE (girishb @ MOD, Posted: Apr 6 2010 @ 12:32 )

...  Note that this forum is only for unmodded copies of the game. For anything related to add-ons, tools or mods, please visit the modding forums!
The emphasis is mine.

It rough as the players in this part of the forum arn't necessarily experienced with mods other than the many proofs that they can cause problems that won't show up until too late.

Sayrawr
  • Sayrawr

Designer

• Members

Posted 24 November 2010 - 09:25 PM

Erm... I reinstalled the game completely, including deleting the appdata.
So how can I go one by one when I wiped off everything and everything is original now.

Girish
  • Girish

• India

Posted 25 November 2010 - 02:29 AM

I don't think your game is the problem. Something might have gone wrong with the savefile itself, especially if other saves work fine. I suggest you PM OrionSR and direct him to this topic. He might be able to fix the savefile for you.

OrionSR
  • OrionSR

Chain Game Development Team

• Members

Posted 25 November 2010 - 02:43 PM

I'll pass. I'm not interested in tracking down all the unique ways people can screw up their saves by using various mods.

Frosty Bone
  • Frosty Bone

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 08 January 2011 - 04:59 PM

Since the TS' problem doesn't seem to be fixed, I'll continue here because I run into the same problem (game crash around the import/export crane) but I do seem to have found the cause..

Before I continue I'll begin with saying I haven't used any mods or cheats, and I'm running a Steam downloaded version 3.0 on a fully updated Vista PC..

I've played through the storyline without doing any sidequests and I luckily backed up the savefile back then. When randomly going through the side stuff on my way to 100% I eventually ran into this crash. I haven't tried swimming around the area or flying over it, but whenever I drove and came close to the gates leading to the import/export crane my game crashed.

I went back to the backed up savefile and now I could enter that area without any problems. I've tried various things that I remembered doing along the way and finally found the cause of this problem: the driving & motorcycle schools. Whenever I play one of the missions in each of these schools (no need to get a medal or even submit a score) and then go to the crane the crash occurs. It won't happen with the flying and boat schools. As you might expect during my run through the storyline I did finish all driving school missions (bronze and silver medals) to unlock Wang Cars and eventually the import/export crane.

I have no technical knowledge about the game, but I'm guessing since both schools are for landvehicles they share some code that conflicts with this area? I hope more people who run into this problem can gather as much info about this issue in this topic, and perhaps someone (preferably with version 3 as well) is willing to try if the same thing happens to them? For now the only fix I can think of is waiting with these schools until I don't have anything left to do in this area at the end of my run towards 100%, but I will keep on backing up the savegames regularly and also come back to this area regularly to see if anything else might cause it..

kizzck
  • kizzck

• Members

Posted 08 January 2011 - 05:04 PM

@Frosty Bone pls dont bump dead topics

Frosty Bone
  • Frosty Bone

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 08 January 2011 - 05:22 PM

Instead of opening a new topic I used the search feature and found a cold case. Did you even care to read my post or the rest of the topic before judging it to be a bump and posting this useless reply? I guess not, and unless a moderator with a similar view of yours will come around I will use this one instead opening a new one.. rolleyes.gif

kizzck
  • kizzck

• Members

Posted 08 January 2011 - 05:25 PM

QUOTE (Frosty Bone @ Jan 8 2011, 17:22)
Instead of opening a new topic I used the search feature and found a cold case. Did you even care to read my post or the rest of the topic before judging it to be a bump and posting this useless reply? I guess not, and unless a moderator with a similar view of yours will come around I will use this one instead opening a new one.. rolleyes.gif

Yes but did you READ the rules its clearly says DONT BUMP DEAD/OLD TOPICS

Frosty Bone
  • Frosty Bone

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 08 January 2011 - 05:35 PM Edited by Frosty Bone, 08 January 2011 - 05:42 PM.

No, and I don't need to read the rules because I have quite some admin/mod experience in other large forum communities, this is not a useless bump of an old topic. Since you clearly still haven't read the topic, let me explain it to you: the problem hasn't been fixed, nor has any useful information related to this specific bug been given by the topicstarter or other users. Whenever an old topic leads to a dead end like in this case, it is more valuable to the possible fix of given problem to gather as much information about the possible cause of the problem in one topic, instead of posting a lot of topics about it leading nowhere. I'm pretty sure you will still disagree, but since you are no moderator, please stop arguing with me about it and let a moderator decide wether I should open a new topic or not, before we actually get into bumping an old topic for no good reason..

PS: End of November last year is practically just a month ago, there's a big chance the topicstarter still hasn't found a fix to the problem, so it might actually help him/hir too..

OrionSR
  • OrionSR

• Members

Posted 08 January 2011 - 10:18 PM

I'm not able to make much progress with the save posted by the topic creator. All I can figure out is that shutting down the Import/Export thread stops the crashing, and it seems that the Blackboard object might be missing - maybe. I'm not entirely sure how it gets placed. Anyway...

It would help if you could post links to a save without the glitch present, and another with the glitch. Preferably the glitched save is progressed from the unglitched save with instructions on exactly what you did to mess it up.

BTW, can you tell me the file date and size in bytes of your script files? Main.scm and script.img should be located in the program folder under data\script, but I'm not entirely sure where this is located on a Steam installation.

Frosty Bone
  • Frosty Bone

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 09 January 2011 - 01:08 AM

Sure thing, thanks for the help. I have uploaded an archive which you can download right here. You will probably only need the savefile but I've included the full userfile folder located in My Documents in each numbered folder just in case (total size of the .zip is 4MB). I also included the script files, the sizes are 3.008kb (main.scr) and 562kb (script.img). Steam locates the files pretty similar to other retail versions, instead of straight into the program files folder it is in program files\steam\steamapps\common\grand theft auto san andreas\data\script.

In folder 1 you will find a non glitched savefile, it is the one of my current progress. I did some sidemissions after completing the storyline, but avoided both the driving and motorcycle schools. I varified it is free of this bug after loading it, since I could enter the area around the crane, no problem.

In folder 2 I used the savefile from folder 1, went to the driving school and played the first mission (the 360), got a gold medal on first try and saved at the same safepoint I loaded from. Now the crash will happen.

In folder 3 I again loaded the savefile from folder 1, went to the motorcycle school and did the exact same thing. Played the first mission (it's also the 360), again a gold medal on first try and went back to the same safepoint. And again, when close to entering the gates of the crane, the game crashes.

I saved all files at the closest point from the crane with carstorage ability, the San Fierro garage (you know, the one CJ won by beating Claude in a race) and parked a nice ride into the garage for you to make traveling to the crane a bit easier. wink.gif

Btw, I also noticed when you play the school missions the game resets the physics like in most other missions. The vehicle I use to travel there will always disappear after playing there. You might already know that but perhaps it's good to know..

OrionSR
  • OrionSR

• Members

Posted 09 January 2011 - 12:33 PM

Wow, what an odd glitch. Thanks for narrowing things down to the bike and driving school. Otherwise I don't think I would have found the problem. This looks like it could happen to anyone.

For: Frosty Bone
Missions: Country Endurance
Helper: OrionSR
Link: http://gtasnp.com/24359
Notes: Global $221 = $220
Repaired with Hex Editor

For: Sayrawr
Missions: Fish in a Barrel
Helper: OrionSR
Link: http://gtasnp.com/24360
Notes: Recreated Blackboard object and assigned to IMPEXPM local 27@
Repaired with CLEO script

The problem appears to be that the Blackboard object used in the Import/Export mission might happen to occupy the same memory space that was once used for one of the cones in the Bike or Driving school mission. When the school lessons are revisited the scripts will clean up all possible cone objects (1 thru 46) instead of just the cones recently initiated - or something like that, it's difficult to tell the exact flow of things. Anyway, the Blackboard gets deleted and the Import/Export script crashes when CJ approaches.

I suppose I should save the details for the Glitch Repair Topic, but in the case of Frosty's pre-glitch save, I was able to change the global between $201 and $246 that held the same value as IMPEXPM 27@ to something that wouldn't delete the blackboard. For Sayrawr's save I had to recreate the object and assign the index to the local variable.

lil weasel
  • lil weasel

• Members

Posted 09 January 2011 - 12:49 PM Edited by lil weasel, 09 January 2011 - 12:56 PM.

QUOTE (kizzck @ Jan 8 2011, 17:25)
Yes but did you READ the rules its clearly says DONT BUMP DEAD/OLD TOPICS

Sorry, you lose.
It is Ok to Bump an old topic IF the poster makes a Substantial addition. Mere age isn't enough on this forum to prevent it.

QUOTE (Bumping old topics)
DO NOT bump old topics if you've nothing substantial to contribute to them.
Unnecessary bumping of topics will result in warnings and the topic getting locked.

Just REPORT it (without comment) and let Admin/Mod take care of it.

Frosty Bone
  • Frosty Bone

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 09 January 2011 - 02:30 PM

Thanks a lot OrionSR! I've just tested the fixed savefile, and the glitch indeed doesn't happen anymore. I did the exact same things I did when the glitch occured (visited both schools and got gold medals for the 360 missions) and then went straight to the crane area which I could enter without a problem. smile.gif

To be on the safe side I will now work on getting all the gold medals for both schools before moving on to something else, but I guess the way you fixed it will make sure the cause of the glitch will not happen anymore in this savefile? Thanks again, GTA is much more enjoyable to me when not having to work with a predetermined schedule but just freeroaming like it was intended to be. smile.gif

Yesterday when I PM'ed you for help in this topic I also sent Sayrawr one, so she should find her way to the savefile soon. wink.gif

Sayrawr
  • Sayrawr

Designer

• Members

Posted 09 January 2011 - 03:24 PM

Thank you so much for the fix. It has successfully fixed and can now collect all the oysters smile.gif
And thanks to FrostyBone for notifying the same problem.

Best of luck smile.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users