Photo

Bluegrass and Classic Country

9 replies to this topic
Osric
  • Osric

In The Name Of The Moon

• Members

Posted 21 November 2010 - 11:00 PM

I may be in the minority, but I don't like Rap/Hip-Hop or Modern Rock/Modern Pop. I do like Classic Rock and Oldies, and some old R&B, but I really like Classic Country and Bluegrass.

Now, I know what you're thinking...

Either I'm some inbred hick with no taste...

OR

I'm joking.....

Well, the truth is..I like the music. Despite the stereotypes surrounding those genres, they're good genres with a lot of talented artists such as Johnny Cash(RIP), Bill Monroe(RIP), The Dillards, Ralph Stanley, George Jones, Willie Nelson, Waylon Jennings(RIP), and a whole lot more.

Now, Modern Country(1995 to Present Day), THAT does suck. At least in my opinion, it does. Mainly because modern Country artists indulge and embrace the redneck stereotypes, while most Classic Country and Bluegrass artists averted them. Also, some artists, like Johnny Cash and The Dillards were very influential outside of their genres. The Dillards were influential in the rock movement of the 60's and 70's, despite being only known to the mainstream for their role in the Andy Griffith Show as The Darling Boys. And Johnny Cash was VERY influential to Rock Music, he's even in the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame, and he even influenced the genres of Rap and Alternative.

So, does anybody else here like Classic Country or Bluegrass. At school, people think I'm weird for liking these genres, as well as Oldies and Classic Rock such as The Beatles or Led Zeppelin. But between you and me, I'd rather listen to Johnny Cash than Kanye West. (No offense to Kanye West fans)

Sprackta
  • Sprackta

The Yardies

• Members

Posted 21 November 2010 - 11:17 PM

Being from Texas, I grew up on country and western music. I love it to this day! Conway Twitty & loretta lynn, Merle Haggard, Buck Owens, Mel Street, George Jones is all the classic country. Its such good drinking music.

E.A.B.
  • E.A.B.

Group: Leone Mafia Family

• Members

Posted 22 November 2010 - 04:41 AM

QUOTE (Sprackta @ Nov 21 2010, 18:17)
Being from Texas, I grew up on country and western music.

Well, being from East NY; I never heard of the damn thing.

Then I got DirectTV and its music channels.

That sh*t is CATCHY with a touch of CLASS. Let the haters hate

Sprackta
  • Sprackta

The Yardies

• Members

Posted 22 November 2010 - 05:16 AM

QUOTE (E.A.B. @ Nov 21 2010, 22:41)
QUOTE (Sprackta @ Nov 21 2010, 18:17)
Being from Texas, I grew up on country and western music.

Well, being from East NY; I never heard of the damn thing.

Then I got DirectTV and its music channels.

That sh*t is CATCHY with a touch of CLASS. Let the haters hate

Let it be documented, there is GOOD country music. you just have to look for it. Not all the CMT that you hear is country. If you're really interested contact me for more info.

Tyler
  • Tyler

[rain]

• Unknown

Posted 22 November 2010 - 05:28 AM

Brad Paisley sucks? Wow, well that's nice to know, coming from the guy that hates stereotypes about music.

Sprackta
  • Sprackta

The Yardies

• Members

Posted 22 November 2010 - 05:30 AM

Juicefani11
  • Juicefani11

NoMemberTitle

• Members

Posted 22 November 2010 - 02:41 PM

Well i'm one of the boys that really like country and Bluegrass... Waylon Jennings and the rest of the Outlaws are great, but i like Waylon the most. He had a very interesting looking guitar, you know, the Fender Telecaster with leather cover. Bluegrass is not as close to my heart as country is, but i still like Earl Scruggs' pickin. I myself play banjo too (and many more instruments), and i can tell, it's very nice. biggrin.gif And also, not all new country is bad. I like Blanche, and it's quite new. inlove.gif

Sprackta
  • Sprackta

The Yardies

• Members

Posted 22 November 2010 - 06:42 PM

QUOTE (Juicefani11 @ Nov 22 2010, 08:41)
Well i'm one of the boys that really like country and Bluegrass... Waylon Jennings and the rest of the Outlaws are great, but i like Waylon the most. He had a very interesting looking guitar, you know, the Fender Telecaster with leather cover. Bluegrass is not as close to my heart as country is, but i still like Earl Scruggs' pickin. I myself play banjo too (and many more instruments), and i can tell, it's very nice. biggrin.gif And also, not all new country is bad. I like Blanche, and it's quite new. inlove.gif

I agree country and bluegrass are nowhere near the same. Waylon jennings rules haha.

trip
  • trip

~

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 24 November 2010 - 09:35 PM

I'm a HUGE bluegrass fan, but despise classic country music. There is a big difference between bluegrass and country.

@Juicefani11, hey I'm a banjo picker too tounge.gif

"Keep on the sunny side"
-Doc Watson

BrownBear
  • BrownBear

Dr. Green Thumb.

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 25 November 2010 - 07:59 PM Edited by brownbear, 25 November 2010 - 08:02 PM.

I absolutely love Johnny Cash, he's one of my favourite artists.
I haven't heard much bluegrass but Otis Taylor very good so I may have to listen to more.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users