Posted 08 September 2011 - 03:07 AM

I can dig it.

Trideez
  • Trideez

GTAForums OG

• Members
  • None

Posted 08 September 2011 - 07:30 AM

I'd love it if GTA did a 70's "blaxploitation" game. However I wouldn't want it to take place in Liberty City. California would be great though. Black revolutionaries, pimps, drug dealers, crooked cops and police brutality, COINTELPRO, etc would all make for a great game. I love the idea about him being a Vet fresh home from war, but I don't think R* would call it "Vietnam". Maybe it would be the Austrailian-American War lol. I don't think this will be the next GTA though, but I wish R* would see this idea and make it sometime in the future.

A little off topic, but watch the movie Dead Presidents if you haven't seen it. It's about a black dude who comes home from Vietnam.

Smaaske
  • Smaaske

Gangsta

• Members
  • Netherlands

Posted 08 September 2011 - 09:47 AM

I donīt like 70īs, i prefer the 80īs...

Officer Tenpenny is a bad man
  • Officer Tenpenny is a bad man

OG

• Members

Posted 08 September 2011 - 03:54 PM

Didnt driver do a 70's set game with afros and funky sh*t?

grope_4_that_date
  • grope_4_that_date

Future Moderator

• Members
  • None
  • Best Fan Art 2012
    Most Improved 2012
    Topic of the Year 2011 "GTA V Screenshot Fun"

Posted 10 September 2011 - 09:47 PM

The 70s haven't been done. If Vice City was set in the 70s, you'd be saying you like the 70s, and this thread would be about an 80s theme.

Red Dead Redemption was set in the early 1900s.
San Andreas was set in 1993.
Vice City was set in 1986.
GTA4 was set in 2008.

GTA5 should be set in the 70s man. The 70s were groovy. The game would be amazing.

StarFyer
  • StarFyer

Whatever Man

• Members

Posted 09 October 2011 - 09:14 PM

i may be reaching with this but in the mission practice swing rocco says "these guys are stuck in the 1970's." could this be a hint that gta next will be in the 70's? just something to think about.

@5:54 mark

visionist
  • visionist

Eat A Peach For Hours

• Members

Posted 10 October 2011 - 11:23 PM

QUOTE (akavari112 @ Monday, Sep 5 2011, 21:37)
*Sheer Groovyness*

I can't wait to see your concept! I'm 110% Loving a 70s Blaxploitation Liberty. It would without question be the best one yet for Vibe, and an instant favourite. Absolutely.

Money Over Bullshit
  • Money Over Bullshit

Mack Militant

• Members
  • None
  • Most Knowledgeable [GTA Series] 2010
    Best Concept Story 2010 "The Code of The Streets"

Posted 19 February 2012 - 08:14 PM

QUOTE (akavari112 @ Sunday, Sep 4 2011, 21:04)
Me and Tyla are currently working on a concept set in a 1978 Liberty City (currently under the project name LC78). Anyone interested in this kind of '70s theme will probably love it; we have a real solid story and a sea of characters, including many from GTA IV that are recognizable. There are four protagonists planned, who will each have a vastly different perspective and theme to go on. There will be something for everyone, whether you're interested in a caricatured Holland drug scene, a golden era of the Italian mafia and the Irish mob, or the gritty slums and street gangs. You can expect a lot of influence and references from classic '70s movies and blaxploitation films, and a criminal underworld crafted from the real organized crime history of the '70s.

That being said, yes, I advocate a GTA set in the 1970s and I think GTA V should take advantage of that opportunity. It would be a ground-breaking atom bomb of awesomeness like how Vice City was upon its release.

Are you guys still making this topic or whats up??

kilo73
  • kilo73

Sorry For the Bodies

• Members

Posted 19 February 2012 - 08:21 PM

to be honest, i dont think thats a good idea at all lol

V 9 L U K 3 4 V
  • V 9 L U K 3 4 V

v 9 L u k E 4 V

• Members

Posted 19 February 2012 - 08:23 PM

QUOTE (grope_4_that_date @ Thursday, Nov 25 2010, 00:18)
As the main character, I'm a fan of Black Dynamite.

BLACK DYNAMITE
user posted image

Dynamite's got that Vietnam-vet look, plus he just looks plain bad ass. But also, this time around, I want the main character to be more of a hero. He will still break the law, kill people, and get involved with drugs... but he would only be doing this to survive. He'd say "I'm in a white man's world, and I do what I have to do to stay alive." He only protects himself and his brotha's.. putting his brotha's first.

Traits the main character should have:

- it would be cool if he was "highly religious", and believed in God, even though he was a murderer. like Jules Winnfield in Pulp Fiction (Samuel L Jackson)
- should to be in Vietnam Vet
- needs to be 100% black - black power baby, ah yeah
- needs to be good with the ladies
- good with kung fu
- strong, big, and bold

Possible Main Character

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

Other characters:

groovy people
user posted image

user posted image

black mob
user posted image

foxy brown character would obviously be a must: a badass chick
user posted image

" the white rich guy"

user posted image

Black Dynamite as main character YES! THAT IS A GOOD IDEA

Akavari
  • Akavari

Gangsta

• Members
  • None

Posted 19 February 2012 - 08:48 PM

QUOTE (Money Over Bullsh*t @ Sunday, Feb 19 2012, 20:14)
Me and Tyla are currently working on a concept set in a 1978 Liberty City (currently under the project name LC78). Anyone interested in this kind of '70s theme will probably love it; we have a real solid story and a sea of characters, including many from GTA IV that are recognizable. There are four protagonists planned, who will each have a vastly different perspective and theme to go on. There will be something for everyone, whether you're interested in a caricatured Holland drug scene, a golden era of the Italian mafia and the Irish mob, or the gritty slums and street gangs. You can expect a lot of influence and references from classic '70s movies and blaxploitation films, and a criminal underworld crafted from the real organized crime history of the '70s.

That being said, yes, I advocate a GTA set in the 1970s and I think GTA V should take advantage of that opportunity. It would be a ground-breaking atom bomb of awesomeness like how Vice City was upon its release.

I haven't spoken to Tyla in a long time. His last post was in November, so I don't know what his status is. I've considered wrapping it up myself and just posting one of our stories, but it is going to take me some time to write up. confused.gif

IBONEgta
  • IBONEgta

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 19 February 2012 - 09:19 PM

QUOTE (akavari112 @ Friday, Nov 26 2010, 19:04)
QUOTE (Tyla @ Nov 26 2010, 11:00)
Nice pics brownbear. Very Death Wish aswell as The Warriors. I haven't seen The Warriors or played the game but I vividly remember the gang in the Death Wish film as being a group of extremely horrible beings. The first time they appear they're high on drugs and end up following a mother and daughter back to their home, breaking in, beating and raping them.

Has anyone seen Assault On Precinct 13? Not the remake, but the original? Check this out. The original soundtrack was brilliant too. Menacing.

Death Wish is my sh*t haha. There HAS to be a .475 Wildey Magnum as the game's desert eagle-equivalent.

A more important thing to decide is...where will this take place and what kind of person will you play as?

Liberty City would be very good but we just had it in GTA IV. Maybe we could take the GTA IV map and alter it so it would be much different, like eliminating Alderney completely and filling that space with more Bohan. I feel like Bohan was cheated out of its size especially since the Bronx are where a lot of the gangs and crime happen. I feel like this would actually be the best choice.

San Andreas would be good as well, you have Las Venturas which is a mecca for mafia families in the 70s, San Fierro which is a haven for hippies, bikers...triads too? Then Los Santos but I don't know of any significant gang presence there.

Vice City would have that Miami Vice cliche kind of feel, but it would be too similar to the other Vice City games imo.

Then theres Carcer City but I wouldn't f*ck with a new city and a new era, that would be too much to handle.

The protagonist would have to be someone who can fit in with many different crowds so we could see every side of the city from a different gang's perspective. A jive black guy like Shaft/Black Dynamite would be hilarious but he wouldn't be a very versatile character. He'd only fit in with the black community and his crew. That character would be much better as sort of a sidekick/Lance Vance kind of plot device.

The perfect person to base the main character off of would definitely have to be...

CHARLES BRONSON
user posted imageuser posted image

No significant gang presence in los santos? well the crips and bloods was established in the 70s.

Dick Valor
  • Dick Valor

Cold Ass Honky

• Members

Posted 19 February 2012 - 10:08 PM

These are great ideas for a retro GTA. I'm not sure why so many people would want it set in LC though. While Shaft and other blaxploitation films are set in New York, many (if not the lion's share) are set in Los Angeles. While the black nationalist movement first got off the ground up in Oakland in the 60s, it definitely reached a climax in L.A. in the 70s when membership in the Black Panthers waned and gravitated toward the Crips and other early gang organizations. Based on this transition to violence and street gangs, I think LS would be the ideal setting for the proposed badassssss GTA. It's also where Charles Manson and lots of other crazy white supremacists were active, which is just another great source of conflict.

Of course, it can be assumed that GTA will not likely return to LC or LS anytime soon. That said, I think San Fierro would be the next best choice. The Bay Area is responsible for many of the cultural trends of the late 60s that shaped the 70s, such as the hippy movement (in SF) and black nationalists (in Oakland). So, a late 60s/early 70s GTA in the Bay Area would be epic, with lots of scary black dudes in fros, hippies and protesters, etc. The whole of California would be ideal though, since that would get us the hippies, Black Panthers, Charles Manson types, and Hollywood, where so many blaxploitation films were made.

Money Over Bullshit
  • Money Over Bullshit

Mack Militant

• Members
  • None
  • Most Knowledgeable [GTA Series] 2010
    Best Concept Story 2010 "The Code of The Streets"

Posted 19 February 2012 - 10:27 PM

QUOTE (akavari112 @ Sunday, Feb 19 2012, 20:48)
QUOTE (Money Over Bullsh*t @ Sunday, Feb 19 2012, 20:14)

I haven't spoken to Tyla in a long time. His last post was in November, so I don't know what his status is. I've considered wrapping it up myself and just posting one of our stories, but it is going to take me some time to write up. confused.gif

Bit of a shame to say the least. I'll really look forward to seeing it.. if you ever manage to get it written up.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users