Quantcast

» «
Photo

Mass Effect 3

2,478 replies to this topic
Supreme.
  • Supreme.

• Members

Posted 30 December 2010 - 03:59 PM Edited by Supreme., 30 December 2010 - 04:03 PM.

I'm a science/sci-fi newb myself, so admittedly can't articulate as well as I'd like. More or less agreed with what you're saying tho. It's a lot to think about and it raises so many questions; profound ones at that.

Robinski
  • Robinski

Under a fluorescent sky

• BUSTED!

Posted 30 December 2010 - 04:18 PM

Yeah, there are a couple of interesting themes going on through the ME story arc. To me, the big one seems to be how a small group/a single individual can shape the fate of the whole population, and whether it's morally justifiable to do so. You've got it all over the place: the Rachni decision, the Destiny Ascension decision, the genophage cure on Mordin's loyalty mission and I'm sure there are more I'm forgetting. It's not by any means the major theme, but it's the one that jumps out at me most.

Fnorg
  • Fnorg

OG

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 30 December 2010 - 04:34 PM

Speaking of the genophage cure, what'd you guys decide to do with it? I kept it to myself because I don't want the possibility to save them disappear, but I sure don't need those hormonal bastards running rampant across the galaxy when I've got killer machines to deal with.

Though they'd probably make great cannon fodder, but I've already got the rachni for that. tounge.gif

papanesta
  • papanesta

Cantankerous Chauffeur

• The Precinct
  • None

Posted 30 December 2010 - 04:57 PM

I want to meet Admiral Hackett in person this time.

NinjaWJ
  • NinjaWJ

Just trying to get by

• Members

Posted 30 December 2010 - 07:07 PM

wow! can't wait for this! Im a newcomer to mass effect (only finished ME2 a couple days ago and it was my first ME), but this looks so good!

mrpain
  • mrpain

wub wub

• Members

Posted 31 December 2010 - 05:02 AM

QUOTE (Robinski @ Dec 31 2010, 00:18)
Yeah, there are a couple of interesting themes going on through the ME story arc. To me, the big one seems to be how a small group/a single individual can shape the fate of the whole population, and whether it's morally justifiable to do so. You've got it all over the place: the Rachni decision, the Destiny Ascension decision, the genophage cure on Mordin's loyalty mission and I'm sure there are more I'm forgetting. It's not by any means the major theme, but it's the one that jumps out at me most.

Don't forget the Geth Heretics decision. And I'm pretty sure Samara too, if you are Paragon. By the looks of things, pure Renegade players are gonna get f*cked!

QUOTE (Gronf @ Dec 31 2010, 00:34)
Speaking of the genophage cure, what'd you guys decide to do with it? I kept it to myself because I don't want the possibility to save them disappear, but I sure don't need those hormonal bastards running rampant across the galaxy when I've got killer machines to deal with.

Though they'd probably make great cannon fodder, but I've already got the rachni for that. tounge.gif

I actually save the cure except for one playthrough in which my Renegade Sheperd just destroy it. My Sheperds gonna need all the help he/she can get.

QUOTE (NinjaWJ @ Dec 31 2010, 03:07)
wow! can't wait for this! Im a newcomer to mass effect (only finished ME2 a couple days ago and it was my first ME), but this looks so good!

Shame on you! You should have played ME1 first then onto ME2 for the epic decisions you get to transfer.

Robinski
  • Robinski

Under a fluorescent sky

• BUSTED!

Posted 31 December 2010 - 10:08 AM Edited by Robinski, 31 December 2010 - 10:12 AM.

QUOTE (Gronf @ Dec 30 2010, 16:34)

Paragon Shepard totally destroys it. To me, being paragon isn't necessarily just "good" but pragmatic. In the short term, keeping around the cure for the genophage is a good thing: "oh look the Krogan can breed again, isn't that great?". But then a while down the line you're back where you started with the problem and you have to something where the evil you have to do(that is, killing off millions of Krogan) is more than the good you have already done in letting it go out there.

Renegade Shep kept the thing, and for more simple reasons. It's a ruthless way of unifying the Krogan to fight under your banner if you offer them a cure. Although, if you could make the decision, I'd offer them it to get them to fight but not give them it for the reasons above. Ruthless and dickish? Yes. Effective? f*ck yes. That's what renegade's all about.

I really didn't agree with how Bioware handled the dialogue on that mission. The options were way too absolute: paragon was basically "Oh god you're a monster!" and renegade boiled down to "Yeah! Killing is awesome!". The neutral options didn't really take a pragmatic approach, but rather just tried to avoid the issues.

I think way too much when I play this game.

CharmingCharlie
  • CharmingCharlie

Proud PC Gamer

• Members

Posted 11 January 2011 - 03:07 PM Edited by CharmingCharlie, 11 January 2011 - 03:13 PM.

Mass Effect 3 to feature Multiplayer ?

Ok I wouldn't say this is "confirmation" that there will be multiplayer in ME 3 but the wording seems to point that way. Earlier today on the Bioware forums a guy called "Assange Agent" (no doubt a piss take of the wikileaks founder) posted a series of screenshots of what appears to be the private moderator section of Bioware's forum. The screenshots showed posts from Chris Priestly (aka the git) discussing an incident regarding a volunteer mod called Pacifien when that mod made a post saying "ME 3 is a singleplayer game".

The interesting part of Chris's post was :-

QUOTE (Chris Priestly)
Since the press release did not confirm Coop or Multiplay, Pac started to close thread with our standard ME mulitplay closure line "Mass Effect is a Single Player Game".  We did this in ME 1 and this in ME 2. This was, as far as she knew the right thing to do.

Only it wasn't.

Now why was it the wrong thing to do for ME 3 ? Why was "ME is a single player game" good enough for ME 1 and ME 2 but now with ME 3 suddenly that isn't good enough ?

As I said it isn't "confirmation" but it is a hint that ME 3 will feature Multiplayer. I imagine some will think this is the best news since slice bread, personally I think it is a a sh*t decision but there you go. Here are the links to the screenshots :-

http://img94.imagesh...fien1kopia.jpg/
http://i56.tinypic.com/30mlav6.jpg

Have a read and make up your own mind. However keep in mind these screenshots could be FAKE I imagine it is not all that difficult to mock something like this up.

JOSEPH X
  • JOSEPH X

Boss

• Members

Posted 11 January 2011 - 04:20 PM

I can't see it being anything more than a tacky arena deathmatch tbh. A multiplayer that did justice to the series and lore would have to be a separate title.

The Yokel
  • The Yokel

True Gentleman

• Members
  • Jamaica

Posted 11 January 2011 - 07:54 PM

I hope it's bullsh*t. Mass Effect doesn't need multiplayer and they shouldn't put any effort in making it. All effort they put towards MP can impact the quality of SP.

Fnorg
  • Fnorg

OG

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 11 January 2011 - 07:56 PM

Oh ye of little faith. I have no doubt in my mind they can shove in MP and still make Mass Effect 3 the best Mass Effect.

mrpain
  • mrpain

wub wub

• Members

Posted 14 January 2011 - 06:12 AM

I really want some Co-Op in the game. I wouldnt mind the second player plays as one of the squad mates (most importantly playing as Garrus.). It would be the only way to get my brother interested in this awesome game.

CharmingCharlie
  • CharmingCharlie

Proud PC Gamer

• Members

Posted 10 February 2011 - 01:44 PM

Woohoo I can bump this topic with a bit of news ......... it isn't anything major but then a bit of news is better than no news. It seems that for Mass Effect 3 they are bringing in Clint Mansell to do the soundtrack Apparently Clint Mansell is widely regarded as one of the most gifted composers working in the industry today :-

Clint Mansell, composer of such classic motion picture scores as 'The Fountain' and 'Requiem For a Dream' dropped the news that he is writing the musical score for the last chapter in BioWare's epic Mass Effect trilogy in an interview with The Quietus about his latest film, 'Black Swan'.

http://uk.xbox360.ig.../1148798p1.html

I personally thought Jack Wall was doing an excellent job with the music but I guess they felt they needed a fresh approach or something.

mrpain
  • mrpain

wub wub

• Members

Posted 10 February 2011 - 02:11 PM

Clint Massell! I recently talked about his work in Moon in the Movies & TV section few days ago.
QUOTE (mrpain @ Feb 4 2011, 13:55)
user posted image
I just watched Moon yesterday on HBO. Really amazing film!

You love both Sams right from the start and the song that plays throughout the film and credits is mesmerizing. The tune is so simple yet so hauntingly beautiful.

Listen to the song, sounds like the guy is perfect for the job. The ME series soundtrack has always been one of the key awesomeness of the series.

JOSEPH X
  • JOSEPH X

Boss

• Members

Posted 10 February 2011 - 02:41 PM

Saw this yesterday and I was like, "Who the f*ck is Clint Mansell?" - put his name in youtube and instantly recognised "Requiem for a Dream", which has been used countless times. One video was a compilation of footage from 9/11, Madrid and London, which made me feel quite poorly.

I'm positive there's a ME2 fanvid which uses it too.

Knife
  • Knife

Tits.

• Zaibatsu
  • None

Posted 10 February 2011 - 03:03 PM

Sounds good but then again Jack Wall's music for the first 2 was pretty good, why not use him again? I'd hope it's only because he couldn't do it rather than them just running off for a better-known guy.

Fnorg
  • Fnorg

OG

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 10 February 2011 - 03:23 PM

What the fuuuuuck, why not Jack Wall? If it ain't broke, don't fix it. I hated how ME2 strayed away from the awesome(ly hokey) electronic theme they had in ME, and now they're bringing in the most cookie-cutter type of music imaginable? Christ.

papanesta
  • papanesta

Cantankerous Chauffeur

• The Precinct
  • None

Posted 10 February 2011 - 09:10 PM

I'm hoping they keep the older music for some things. They did use it in the existing trailer, after all.

Clint Mansell is awesome, but I do love the old tunes.

Rocks-tar
  • Rocks-tar

Marston

• Members

Posted 12 February 2011 - 03:28 PM

http://www.strategyi...fect-3-composer

Good bye, Jack.

JOSEPH X
  • JOSEPH X

Boss

• Members

Posted 19 February 2011 - 10:27 AM

Just found this on N4G. It's a survey for Bioware on what you think of DLC

http://gamersheep.co...lc-preferences/

there's a link to the survey in the article. A lot of the questions had me saying, "Oh well, it depends"

Fnorg
  • Fnorg

OG

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 19 February 2011 - 12:06 PM

I filled it out. If it helps them make a better product, I'm all for it.

CharmingCharlie
  • CharmingCharlie

Proud PC Gamer

• Members

Posted 19 February 2011 - 02:45 PM

f*ck me that was a questionnaire and a half that is all I will say. All done, the basic gist of it for me was "stop doing these sh*tty appearance packs and make the DLC more story based and longer" oh and drop the crappy Bioware points rubbish.

We can only hope Bioware listens to the questionnaire results and makes some changes for ME 3. Still no news about ME 3 either grrrr, ah well it just gives me more time to work on my Mass Effect 2 music videos ................ speaking of which I have a new one :-

biggrin.gif I can't wait to whack some music videos off with Mass Effect 3 content wink.gif

JOSEPH X
  • JOSEPH X

Boss

• Members

Posted 19 February 2011 - 03:56 PM

Lol. CC your vids always remind me of Pan's People from TOTP - you always find a clip that fits the lyric, "Here comes the big boss!" One thing all your videos are missing, if you don't mind me saying, is in-game audio. It adds so much when the two tracks are well mixed.

CharmingCharlie
  • CharmingCharlie

Proud PC Gamer

• Members

Posted 20 February 2011 - 03:11 PM

QUOTE (II J0SePh X II @ Feb 19 2011, 16:56)
One thing all your videos are missing, if you don't mind me saying, is in-game audio. It adds so much when the two tracks are well mixed.

Nah a bit of constructive advice is never a bad thing. I might give that a go with the next video unfortunately I am restricted in what I can do because windows movie maker is a pile of sh*te (yes I know there are better video editing packages but I am old and my brain hurts when I try to learn anything new). Whenever I do these vids I always secretly lust after the imovie program on the Apple Mac tounge.gif

Now to keep this post relevant so that Waddy doesn't find an excuse to make my warn log all red wink.gif . We are still such a long way from the release of ME 3, at least 261 days away if the current release date is to be believed (8th Nov 2011). I know what I want myself personally for ME 3 story line wise. I would love it if Shepard was betrayed by some one close to them. Then just as things couldn't get any worse for poor Shep they get shoved in front of a Kangaroo court and found guilty, stripped of everything she/he holds dear, humiliated and ridiculed.

I imagine this won't be too popular with some (too clichéd) but I have always been a fan of the "rising from the ashes hero" storyline. That is one of the reasons why my femshep is nearly always a survivor of Mindoir and the hero of Elysium.

mrpain
  • mrpain

wub wub

• Members

Posted 22 February 2011 - 10:53 AM

Heh I was just reading about that betrayal topic on the Bioware forums.

I do like a betrayal at some point and the only squad members I can imagine betraying you are Garrus or Samara.

Robinski
  • Robinski

Under a fluorescent sky

• BUSTED!

Posted 22 February 2011 - 03:49 PM

To be fair, if you play a Renegade Shepard, Samara trying to off you isn't much of a betrayal. She straight up tells you that she's going to try and kill you if she ever meets you again after the mission is over and she's left. I don't see there being much sense in a betrayal apart from direct intervention by the Reapers. It'd make literally zero sense for any living being to try and stop Shepard unless they were indoctrinated/promised immortality by the Reapers (like Saren).

JOSEPH X
  • JOSEPH X

Boss

• Members

Posted 14 March 2011 - 01:22 PM

CVG are claiming there'll be exclusive info at the Bratislava game expo for Mass Effect 3

EA's promised "exclusive information about Mass Effect 3" at this week's Bratislava Game Expo.

The public game convention, which is set to kick off this Friday, March 18, will give attendees the chance to "hear lectures including exclusive information about Mass Effect 3," claims EA's official website for the region.

http://www.computera...info-this-week/

CharmingCharlie
  • CharmingCharlie

Proud PC Gamer

• Members

Posted 14 March 2011 - 02:08 PM

Beat me to it this time wink.gif it's odd they are revealing stuff at a game expo in Bratslava. I wouldn't have thought that was "high profile" enough, but hey I aint moaning. As much as I want to hear about ME 3 at the moment though I am more interested in the Arrival DLC.

Chimpsie
  • Chimpsie

Okthxbye!

• Members

Posted 14 March 2011 - 02:30 PM

Mass Effect 3 = FAIL

Dont get me wrong,I like the game,its pretty nice but really...
Bioware has been gambling with the companys name.
Dragon Age 2 was a total fail,atleast for me,I just hope they dont get the same game designer for this game aswell.

AreXi
  • AreXi

Quack Quack

• Members

Posted 14 March 2011 - 02:32 PM

QUOTE (Chimpsie @ Mar 14 2011, 16:30)
Mass Effect 3 = FAIL

Dont get me wrong,I like the game,its pretty nice but really...
Bioware has been gambling with the companys name.
Dragon Age 2 was a total fail,atleast for me,I just hope they dont get the same game designer for this game aswell.

So you're judging a game almost a year before it's release?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users