Photo

Mac version can't load PC save file?

21 replies to this topic
Magic_Al
  • Magic_Al

Boss

• Members

Posted 14 November 2010 - 07:02 PM

I got the new Mac version of Vice City as and GTA III and San Andreas.

I want to load a 100% save file since I've completed all these games before. I don't think these are actually new versions of the games because they are Cider ports and all the Windows game code is inside the Mac app. PC save files work for San Andreas and GTA III but with Vice City I get "Unhandled exception: c0000005 At address: 00450189".

I read that the Steam version has the same problem with save files and I also tried loading a save file from the Steam version, didn't work.

radioman
  • radioman

Big Homie

• Members

Posted 14 November 2010 - 07:48 PM

Have you tried running the game in compatibility mode, making sure to delete the .set file in the User Files Folder afterwards? that usually fixes the problem for some people. 98 Compatbility mode seems to work very well to get the game running for most people.

Also, do you have any mods installed-mostly, any Script mods that replace the man.scm(or edit it), etc? That is a big problem with save compatibilty, as saves from the internet are designed to work only with the original files.

Also, the Windows versions and the Mac versions might not be compatible, just like the Steam version saves are not compatible with the Retail versions, Since Windows and Macs are two completely different OS's. Hope this helps.

Magic_Al
  • Magic_Al

Boss

• Members

Posted 15 November 2010 - 01:51 AM Edited by Magic_Al, 15 November 2010 - 02:12 AM.

I just looked at the file modification dates of all three Mac games. Mostly, the only parts that are new are the compatibility files for Mac. The game files are the same as the 2002-2005 PC versions, except all the .gxt files of Vice City were modified March 3, 2010. The .gxt files of San Andreas and GTA III were not modified. Since Vice City for Mac is the only one that PC saves don't work with, and it's the only one with modified .gxt files, I think this is a new version of Vice City. (None of the map, model, texture, or audio files are new, however.)

Edit: the .exe files of all three games have created/modified dates of March 5, 2010. Significance unknown.

Diego Mustard
  • Diego Mustard

Ultimate Criminal

• Members
  • Japan

Posted 15 November 2010 - 06:17 PM

QUOTE (radioman @ Nov 14 2010, 21:48)
Have you tried running the game in compatibility mode, making sure to delete the .set file in the User Files Folder afterwards? that usually fixes the problem for some people. 98 Compatbility mode seems to work very well to get the game running for most people.

He is on a Macintosh, not a Windows! This means the OSX system has different stuff!
Is that really, III, VC and SA... and for Macintosh computers? What the heck is!

radioman
  • radioman

Big Homie

• Members

Posted 15 November 2010 - 07:39 PM Edited by radioman, 15 November 2010 - 07:52 PM.

He is on a Macintosh, not a Windows! This means the OSX system has different stuff

I'm not familiar with the Mac OS, but I have read that some Macs have a "dual boot"-where it has both the Mac OS and a version of Windows too.? So, I thought that there might be a selection for Compatibility? The only time I have ever used a Mac was back in Elementary school back in the early 1990's, and macs at that time were real slow, and I got my first Personal PC, with Windows XP, back in 2005. So, I am only familiar and have the most know how on Windows PC, so can you please explain what the differences are between the Mac OS and the Windows OS, so I know for next time?

Spuds725
  • Spuds725

Party Animal

• United-States

Posted 15 November 2010 - 09:31 PM Edited by Spuds725, 15 November 2010 - 09:34 PM.

Does the game work with your current saves (new saves I mean)... if so, upload one and see if anyone can get it to load on their windows or steam versions.... if not, then you know it is most likely compatibility issue....

You may want to try out Dems timevault and see if it passes missions.... if you don't want to play through the game but want a 100% save then this may accomplish it for you....

Good luck...

PS Steve Jobs will tell you that it is not a problem with the MAC OS.. it is perfect wink.gif

Magic_Al
  • Magic_Al

Boss

• Members

Posted 16 November 2010 - 02:07 AM

OK, just to clarify: yes, there is an official Mac version of the GTA Trilogy of GTA III, VC, and SA. They run on Mac OS X, not Windows. The game files are almost the same as the files in the Windows versions, because Rockstar used Cider which is like a filter that changes Windows games to Mac on the fly as they run. They look like Mac games but the files inside are almost the same as Windows. This is why old saves from SA and III work. But, apparently they had to change VC a bit more for some reason, and so old VC saves do not work. I previously played GTA on Xbox and I don't have old PC saves of my own. I was trying to use the 100% save files you can download from gtagarage.

As it turns out, since Rockstar used the PC versions to make the Mac versions, and didn't update any content, the newest and best versions of GTA III and VC are still the Xbox versions. (San Andreas is a different story because the Xbox and PC versions were released simultaneously, so there's no better version than the PC version which is now also the Mac version.)

Diego Mustard
  • Diego Mustard

Ultimate Criminal

• Members
  • Japan

Posted 16 November 2010 - 08:40 AM Edited by Diego "DM" Mendez, 16 November 2010 - 09:03 AM.

QUOTE (radioman @ Nov 15 2010, 21:39)
I'm not familiar with the Mac OS, but I have read that some Macs have a "dual boot"-where it has both the Mac OS and a version of Windows too.? So, I thought that there might be a selection for Compatibility? The only time I have ever used a Mac was back in Elementary school back in the early 1990's, and macs at that time were real slow,  and I got my first Personal PC, with Windows XP, back in 2005. So, I am only familiar and have the most know how on Windows PC, so can you please explain what the differences are between the Mac OS and the Windows OS, so I know for next time?

Ok, let's help you, considering how knowledged you are.
OSX has dual boot, yes, but you need to put yourself to a lot of troubles I didn't ever try if you want that working.
You need an Intel processor Mac (the PowerPC set won't work), the Windows installation disc, and any program for that purpose (commonly Bootcamp). That's some work.

Second, Mac has no compatibility mode thing, and no options for Windows compatibility.

And last, Mac and Windows are different OS systems. Windows has more programs, Mac has less, Windows has more support because of the bigger community, and vice versa with the Mac.
And, the biggest problem, is that Mac OS won't run Windows executables unless you dual-boot.
But, there a lot of differences, I can't post them all at once here. That needs Googling for more info.

Remember that I got rid of my Mac with a new Dell Inspiron laptop, so I don't where the user files folder (Mac way) is.

OK, I can suggest you something. Download the main.scm file that the save file you want to try needs.
For example, if the save file needs V1 of VC, download the main.scm of V1, and same for V2 and so on...
Make a folder for backups anywhere you'd like, then go to your VC folder, open the data folder, and copy the main.scm file there to the backups folder. And then, copy your main.scm file you downloaded to the same data folder. See if the save you downloaded will work this time or not. Note that saves created before changing the main.scm will not work after the change. If the save file doesn't work, bring the main.scm in the backups folder back home.

OFF-TOPIC QUESTION: When was GTA Trilogy for Mac released?

Magic_Al
  • Magic_Al

Boss

• Members

Posted 17 November 2010 - 01:22 AM

QUOTE (Diego "DM" Mendez @ Nov 16 2010, 02:40)
OFF-TOPIC QUESTION: When was GTA Trilogy for Mac released?

November 12 on disc in the EU and download on GameTreeOnline.com. The disc version comes out in North America November 22.

Spuds725
  • Spuds725

Party Animal

• United-States

Posted 29 November 2010 - 11:08 PM

Try the steam version saves.... these are not compatible with the original PC version.....

And once again... create a save and upload it to see if anyone can open it.... you most likely can't use regular PC version saves... but I'm betting steam version might work....

This is a steam version save-- it is downloadable until dec 8th... after that date it will have been deleted from the SNP upload site automatically...

http://gtasnp.com/dl/23508

If it works then you will just need someone to post a steam version 100% save...

Or once again... try Dems mission passer code tool (timevault)... and if it works, make your own 100% save... http://www.gtaforums...howtopic=397970

It will pass everything except sunshine autos list, robbing stores, hidden packages, and unique jumps.... there are other code tools to do the hidden packages and unique jumps... you will have to collect the cars and rob the stores on your own though...

Magic_Al
  • Magic_Al

Boss

• Members

Posted 30 November 2010 - 10:38 AM

Steam saves do not work. I've tried yours and others.

Here's a Mac VC save file. Beginning of game. (Link good for 30 days.)

Spuds725
  • Spuds725

Party Animal

• United-States

Posted 04 December 2010 - 03:08 PM

I just tried your save and it just says .... "Loading game. Please wait..."

I don't think they are compatible...perhaps one of the other fixes suggested where you switch out the main.scm's may work....

If you have played the PC version before then you should have this file for the PC version....

Obtaining from another user here is against our warez policy.... do please do not ask.

Spuds...

Diego Mustard
  • Diego Mustard

Ultimate Criminal

• Members
  • Japan

Posted 06 December 2010 - 02:14 PM

QUOTE (Spuds725 @ Dec 4 2010, 17:08)
Obtaining from another user here is against our warez policy.... do please do not ask.

Spuds...

What, what again?

I mean, main.scm files are useless without the game itself, and this file is also packaged in the zips and rars of the many many available mods. How can this file is "warez"?

Also, I want the main.scm of the really first version... Tell me no?

radioman
  • radioman

Big Homie

• Members

Posted 06 December 2010 - 07:45 PM

QUOTE (Diego "DM" Mendez @ Dec 6 2010, 09:14)

Spuds...

What, what again?

I mean, main.scm files are useless without the game itself, and this file is also packaged in the zips and rars of the many many available mods. How can this file is "warez"?

I think Spuds is talking about the Original Main.scm file. Modded .scm files can be shared(to an extent), because they contain modded files, that were not a part of the Original. But, Sharing Original game files(or any licensed/copyrighted files, for that matter), is a violation of Statues 815.01 (2)(4)(5), which is a Felony according to Criminal Justice Source book 2009-2010 Edition.-We learned about this in Legal class back in September.-According to this Statues, it is illegal to Share/distribute/or sell Original game files, which pretty much means that Mods(modifications) are borderline illegal under this Statue. It all goes back to the age old license and copyright issues that have been around since the days of Records(LP's), Cassettes, CDs', Atari games, etc., I Reckon. Hope this helps/clears up any confusion.

Diego Mustard
  • Diego Mustard

Ultimate Criminal

• Members
  • Japan

Posted 07 December 2010 - 01:30 PM

QUOTE (radioman @ Dec 6 2010, 21:45)
QUOTE (Diego "DM" Mendez @ Dec 6 2010, 09:14)

Spuds...

What, what again?

I think Spuds is talking about the Original Main.scm file. Modded .scm files can be shared(to an extent), because they contain modded files, that were not a part of the Original. But, Sharing Original game files(or any licensed/copyrighted files, for that matter), is a violation of Statues 815.01 (2)(4)(5), which is a Felony according to Criminal Justice Source book 2009-2010 Edition.-We learned about this in Legal class back in September.-According to this Statues, it is illegal to Share/distribute/or sell Original game files, which pretty much means that Mods(modifications) are borderline illegal under this Statue. It all goes back to the age old license and copyright issues that have been around since the days of Records(LP's), Cassettes, CDs', Atari games, etc., I Reckon. Hope this helps/clears up any confusion.

Don't tell me old Atari games are that, too. It's not!
Do not tell me that if I want to downgrade to the first version, what? I cannot? What the heck is you?

Basically, I know America has rules, but those rules are, ahem, ahem... Do not know.

lolleroz
  • lolleroz

Homeboy

• Members
  • None

Posted 07 December 2010 - 01:44 PM

1. Backup your main.scm from Mac VC
2. Copy your main.scm from Windows VC on pendrive or whatever
3. Copy the Windows VD main.scm and replace the Mac VC main.scm by it
Ta-dah, the Windows saves should work now. If they don't, it's an exe problem I guess, and there's no way to 'fix' it..
Also check again, if your Windows save isn't corrupted.

radioman
  • radioman

Big Homie

• Members

Posted 07 December 2010 - 11:27 PM Edited by radioman, 07 December 2010 - 11:33 PM.

Do not tell me that if I want to downgrade to the first version, what? I cannot? What the heck is you?

You misunderstood my last post, I stated that it was illegal to share/distribute/sell Original game files and games. If however, you have a legitimate(Purchased) version of the game, and wish to downgrade for your own personal use, you are able to do that-it is NOT illegal until you start either distributing/selling those files that they become illegal. But, this does not apply to III and VC, since there is only one Retail version and one Steam version. There is only one patch for III and VC and SA(for that matter), and only the Steam versions of III and VC come with the patch by default, the only patch for SA is for V1 only-V2 and V3(the Steam version) do not have a patch. The Retail versions have to have the Patch manually applied, and since all that is required to remove the patch from the Retail version is a simple un-install/re-install, it is perfectly legal.

Yes, to my knowledge, ALL store bought media is copyrighted-whether it be Records(LP's), Cassettes, VCR tapes, DVD's, CD's, Video games, 8-tracks, etc.

As a Certified Law Enforcement Officer, I am trained to know this kind of stuff. I even made it easier by giving proof via the direct Statues number with the sections, so if you look it up, you will see that I am right on this-I looked it up at the time I posted the Original post. Just a heads up/clarification. Hope this clears up the confusion.

But, enough of this stuff and lets get back to the topic at hand, please...

Diego Mustard
  • Diego Mustard

Ultimate Criminal

• Members
  • Japan

Posted 08 December 2010 - 04:54 PM

QUOTE (radioman @ Dec 8 2010, 01:27)
You misunderstood my last post, I stated that it was illegal to share/distribute/sell Original game files and games. If however, you have a legitimate(Purchased) version of the game, and wish to downgrade for your own personal use, you are able to do that-it is NOT illegal until you start either distributing/selling those files that they become illegal. But, this does not apply to III and VC, since there is only one Retail version and one Steam version. There is only one patch for III and VC and SA(for that matter), and only the Steam versions of III and VC come with the patch by default, the only patch for SA is for V1 only-V2 and V3(the Steam version) do not have a patch. The Retail versions have to have the Patch manually applied, and since all that is required to remove the patch from the Retail version is a simple un-install/re-install, it is perfectly legal.

As a Certified Law Enforcement Officer, I am trained to know this kind of stuff. I even made it easier by giving proof via the direct Statues number with the sections, so if you look it up, you will see that I am right on this-I looked it up at the time I posted the Original post. Just a heads up/clarification. Hope this clears up the confusion.

What? One retail version only? No PC version that has the Tear Gas behind the police station, and the removed dialogue?

And.... I never thought you were an certified officer... Anyways...
I think there is a backup of the main.scm, somewhere... Which, in my opinion, can be used with the Mac version.

lolleroz, did you actually try this on a Mac?

Spuds725
  • Spuds725

Party Animal

• United-States

Posted 08 December 2010 - 06:25 PM

Very gray area-- the forum policy as it has been explained to me is to not allow the posting of links to original game files on our message boards... you obviously modify orginal game files for modding to occur... the game makers pretty much turn a blind eye to the legality of game mods because modding games does encourage more sales of the original... from a strictly legal standpoint IMO, distributing modded files is illegal as the the vast majority of the file is protected under copyright laws.

Since GTA forums wants to stay on take two interacives good side we have implicitly stated that we are not a warez site.... which means we do not encourage or allow the posting of links to orginal game files on this site....

I hope this clarifies the issue and the reasons behind it....

Spuds

Diego Mustard
  • Diego Mustard

Ultimate Criminal

• Members
  • Japan

Posted 08 December 2010 - 06:57 PM

QUOTE (Spuds725 @ Dec 8 2010, 20:25)
Very gray area-- the forum policy as it has been explained to me is to not allow the posting of links to original game files on our message boards... you obviously modify orginal game files for modding to occur... the game makers pretty much turn a blind eye to the legality of game mods because modding games does encourage more sales of the original... from a strictly legal standpoint IMO, distributing modded files is illegal as the the vast majority of the file is protected under copyright laws.

Since GTA forums wants to stay on take two interacives good side we have implicitly stated that we are not a warez site.... which means we do not encourage or allow the posting of links to orginal game files on this site....

Spuds

OK! I will still download copyrighted stuff (no matter how new or old it is, and remember, no cop will bust your doors for downloading such stuff), but ANYWAY... Let us just ignore those stuff and wait for someone to tell us if changing the main.scm works... If it does.

You tried this or you do not have a Mac?

hurleybacks27
  • hurleybacks27

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 26 July 2013 - 07:23 AM

QUOTE (Diego "DM" Mendez @ Wednesday, Dec 8 2010, 18:57)
QUOTE (Spuds725 @ Dec 8 2010, 20:25)

Spuds

OK! I will still download copyrighted stuff (no matter how new or old it is, and remember, no cop will bust your doors for downloading such stuff), but ANYWAY... Let us just ignore those stuff and wait for someone to tell us if changing the main.scm works... If it does.

You tried this or you do not have a Mac?

Changing the main.scm file doesn't work.

Spuds725
  • Spuds725

Party Animal

• United-States

Posted 26 July 2013 - 01:03 PM

An old thread but thanks for trying this out....

I do not know if anyone ever did try out the code tools on MAC version if you want to try and give one of them a try.

http://www.freewebs....evault_main.scm

This is a mission passer code tool--- put it in place of your main.scm file and see if the game loads and if it does-- try entering any pink mission marker.... it will immediately complete the mission and teleport you a short distance away (so you won't automatically start the next mission).

To use-- backup your main.scm (I just rename it "mainorig.scm"), copy the above file to that folder, rename the above file "main.scm"

To return the game to normal play-- just swap the files back.

Spuds

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users