72 replies to this topic
Dutchy3010
  • Dutchy3010

Female SCM coder!

• Netherlands

Posted 14 November 2010 - 02:45 PM

user posted image

Introduction
I suppose that nobody thought that the 4th DYOM contest was starting today! We already knew the next theme, exciting story line, because that was one of the winning themes in this poll. I changed the rules a bit. We will now make it a real competition! 1 versus 1! Read further for more information.

Goal
The goal of the contest is off course to create the best storyline using "Design your own mission". Things to keep in mind are originality, playability and difficulty. You should challenge the players of your mission, but they should not get frustrated. If your missions are ready, you should upload it to our mission upload site.

Theme
In this edition the theme is: exciting story line. Be creative, but use this specific theme. We are curious about what you make up! The maximum amount of missions in a storyline is 8.

Competition
Like I said, it will be a bit different. Since there are a lot of missions, because the theme is a storyline, you don't have to choose between all the storylines. There are several rounds, depending on the amount of submissions. The voters have to choose betwen two storylines, the winner wil continue to the next round. For example:
Storyline 1 vs storyline 2
Storyline 3 vs storyline 4
Storyline 5 vs storyline 6
Storyline 7 vs storyline 8

Storyline 1/3/5/7 won these battles. The next round is:
Storyline 1 vs storyline 3
Storyline 5 vs storyline 7

When 1 and 5 won these battles, the big final is Storyline 1 vs storyline 5.

It can also happen that there are more than two storylines in one battle. Only the winner of that battle will continue.

Schedule
You will get some more time, because it is not only one mission, but a storyline (max 8 missions). The deadline for the submission of storylines is: 11 December

Submit
You can submit a storyline for the contest by uploading it to the mission download site and post the following information in this topic:
CODE

[b]Storyline name:[/b]
[b]Storyline description:[/b]
[b]Link to the mission(s):[/b]

Everybody can submit two storylines, when you submit more than two, only the last two will compete. It isn't allowed to submit a storyline you already made, since you could have a lot of comments on it already, and that isn't fair for the competition.

Reward
The most important reward for everybody that enters the contest is off course that you can claim to be a GTA mission designer. The winning storyline will placed in the Wall of Fame!

Finally
Good luck, and, above all, have fun! wink.gif

Jackal1337
  • Jackal1337

Gayest Boy in Town

• Members

Posted 14 November 2010 - 03:43 PM

sweet finally im early enough to start making mission cool.gif

anyway can it be longer than one mission?

pauliux2
  • pauliux2

Homie

• Members

Posted 14 November 2010 - 03:54 PM

QUOTE (Jackal1337 @ Nov 14 2010, 15:43)
sweet finally im early enough to start making mission cool.gif

anyway can it be longer than one mission?

The maximum amount of missions in a storyline is 5.
Read everything dude...

Tug66666
  • Tug66666

Francis McReary

• Members

Posted 14 November 2010 - 04:20 PM

If only I could enter my Power Is Everything missions, but unfortunately it consists of more than 5 missions...

I've had an idea for another good storyline for quite some time now, but trying to make it in 5 missions would be impossible.

I wonder what I'm going to make...

Jimmy_Leppard
  • Jimmy_Leppard

DYOM mission designer/user

• Members

Posted 14 November 2010 - 04:44 PM

Yea...unfortunately, it's impossible for me to make a storyline that consists of 1-5 missions...at least not a good one...I think I'll pass on this and devote myself to my current mission series and finish it and after that start a new one. biggrin.gif

Good luck to everyone else who will compete in this race. biggrin.gif

miromiro
  • miromiro

Time Killa™

• Zaibatsu
  • None

Posted 14 November 2010 - 05:00 PM

Sounds very exciting Dutchy.
Unfortunately for me as well, I'm too new to start making missions, still learning DYOM.

But I'm pretty sure that the guys around can make some cool missions!
Good luck everybody. smile.gif

Platinum Card
  • Platinum Card

DYOM mission maker

• Members

Posted 14 November 2010 - 05:37 PM

Sounds great. I'll have to write something up. Five missions is perfect for a mini storyline.

Doublepulse
  • Doublepulse

I will turn your life upside down!

• The Yardies

Posted 14 November 2010 - 06:18 PM

Damn Competition will be tough, but be fun! tounge.gif I have some idea, Maybe Ill have to think about it though I've got two interesting Ideas.. but I will have to think about how not to go over 5 missions.

Ive got two questions relating to "not using your current storyline"

1. Say there was a story I did a long time ago like 7 months, can I remake that story and improve the storyline to use in the competition?

2. Can I make a storyline similar to some of my future missions I have not released yet? (I know i probably could, but best to find out)

Dutchy3010
  • Dutchy3010

Female SCM coder!

• Netherlands

Posted 14 November 2010 - 10:48 PM

Sounds very exciting Dutchy.
Unfortunately for me as well, I'm too new to start making missions, still learning DYOM.

But I'm pretty sure that the guys around can make some cool missions!
Good luck everybody. smile.gif

Why don't you just try it? Sometimes the easiest missions are the most fun to play!

1. Say there was a story I did a long time ago like 7 months, can I remake that story and improve the storyline to use in the competition?
2. Can I make a storyline similar to some of my future missions I have not released yet? (I know i probably could, but best to find out)

1. You can use the story, but you have to start from scratch with the missions.
2. Yes, you can, since you didn't get any comments for that mission.

Chimpso
  • Chimpso

Ran away with the spoon...

• Members

Posted 15 November 2010 - 03:41 AM

biggrin.gif A contest! Interesting process! Can't wait to submit whatever I'm gonna make. Why don't we announce the winners on christmas day? It will make a great christmas present.

Jackal1337
  • Jackal1337

Gayest Boy in Town

• Members

Posted 15 November 2010 - 04:57 AM

what about when i have alrdy made one mission of that storyline but im gonna make maybe 5?

Asepl
  • Asepl

Proud DYOM user

• Members

Posted 15 November 2010 - 06:46 PM Edited by Asepl, 15 November 2010 - 06:52 PM.

Jackal, i guess you should just continue making missions untill you have all, so you can upload all at once tounge.gif

Amazing ^^ I'm up to it notify.gif Already got storyline smile.gif
Nothing else to do than sit and begin making missions sneaky2.gif

Actually, i like this subject of contest more than previous one bored.gif

Good luck everybody sly.gif

Don't read this!
|
v
But for real, i wish you to be max 2nd xD Man, i told you NOT to read this >:|

Btw. I found a sound about GTA DYOM!!!
CODE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BhsTmiK7Q2M

If someone doesn't know why is it about DYOM, it says: "push it to the limit" <--- Check this only if you don't understand me smile.gif

Doublepulse
  • Doublepulse

• The Yardies

Posted 15 November 2010 - 10:20 PM

I dont want to sound like the person who is trying to get the rules changed, but why didn't you just do the max missions to 8 or use a even number like 6?

5 missions is a difficult number to create a storyline with. Its like attempting to stuff objects in a full box.. lol You can not close the box.

8 would be good because there is 8 slots for missions, and it allows the person to elaborate more on few of the characters.

I mean my story that i already thought of barely fits in 5 missions, and I can work around it tounge.gif (Especially since Im completely redoing the story), but in order to get the most out of one mission I would have to make like 4 different thing s to do in one mission which would result longer missions.

But that gets me to my next question

If we create a mission that has all cutscenes and is an intro without gameplay, does that still count towards 1 of the 5 missions??

Anyway, sorry to sound like I am questioning the rules and its up to you to decide, but I figured I would bring it up to help other people out if they are confused on the subject as well.

Thanks

Tug66666
  • Tug66666

Francis McReary

• Members

Posted 16 November 2010 - 02:31 AM Edited by Tug66666, 04 December 2010 - 07:05 PM.

-Removed-

Chimpso
  • Chimpso

• Members

Posted 16 November 2010 - 05:51 AM

I think it would be worth mentioning that ZIP archives can be uploaded to the DYOM site. I encorage people who enter the contest to do this, as some people may not want to download 5 seperate missions. It is easy if you simply put them in an archive. Also, arn't we ment to wait for all missions to be completed before we upload them?

Dutchy3010
  • Dutchy3010

Female SCM coder!

• Netherlands

Posted 16 November 2010 - 08:00 PM

Because you all said that there aren't enough missions, I'll change the rules: the maximum is 8.

@Chimpso: why not at Christmas Day? Because then I have other things to do than ending this contest tounge.gif

Canadian Scrotum
  • Canadian Scrotum

• Members
  • None

Posted 17 November 2010 - 06:59 PM

Good. I will try to participate. I'm still new though in DYOM.

Mattatatta
  • Mattatatta

Over 10,000 downloads and recognised DYOM Mission Designer

• Members

Posted 19 November 2010 - 01:41 AM

Seems like an interesting concept.

-WooOOoo!!! I've risen from the grave after a long time missing from the forums! devil.gif ph34r.gif -

Couldn't help myself with that, lol

Anyway, I'm a bit stuck on ideas for an exciting story line, especially one that only spans 8 missions. If I do get an idea, I'll see if I can make it work, if I can't, then I'll just sit back and watch the competition.

Chimpso
  • Chimpso

• Members

Posted 19 November 2010 - 08:37 AM

Welcome back! I think 8 missions is quite generous. But I think I will struggle to get it in withing the time limit. Meh, I'll give it my best shot. Remember, even if you think you suck still compete! You may get a better result then you think!

NothingSpecial
  • NothingSpecial

2spooky4me

• Members
  • Indonesia

Posted 19 November 2010 - 11:00 AM

QUOTE (pauliux2 @ Nov 14 2010, 15:54)
Read everything dude...

Are you blind? Dutchy3010 wrotes that the maximum mission in storyline is 8, not 5. Next time, check the first post before post a reply again!

LnDProductions
  • LnDProductions

Mack Pimp

• Members
  • Lithuania

Posted 19 November 2010 - 11:08 AM Edited by leoncj, 04 December 2010 - 07:30 PM.

QUOTE (NothingSpecial @ Nov 19 2010, 11:00)
Read everything dude...

Are you blind? Dutchy3010 wrotes that the maximum mission in storyline is 8, not 5. Next time, check the first post before post a reply again!

First it was only 5, dude.
Because you all said that there aren't enough missions, I'll change the rules: the maximum is 8.

Now it's 8... and we're happy! w00t!

pauliux2
  • pauliux2

Homie

• Members

Posted 19 November 2010 - 02:33 PM

QUOTE (NothingSpecial @ Nov 19 2010, 11:00)
Read everything dude...

Lol..I said it first when he didint changed the rules..

Asepl
  • Asepl

Proud DYOM user

• Members

Posted 19 November 2010 - 05:19 PM

It's she wink.gif
I'm still doing 1st mission (trololol)

Platinum Card
  • Platinum Card

DYOM mission maker

• Members

Posted 19 November 2010 - 06:03 PM

I've finished the first mission. Four more to go. I'm not to sure about doing 8 as my story's dialogue is very thorough.

pauliux2
  • pauliux2

Homie

• Members

Posted 19 November 2010 - 06:05 PM

QUOTE (Asepl @ Nov 19 2010, 17:19)

It's she wink.gif
I'm still doing 1st mission (trololol)

OOppss..Sorry Dutchy blush.gif blush.gif

0G THUG
  • 0G THUG

DYOM mission designer\user

• Members

Posted 21 November 2010 - 08:00 PM

Hello everybody. I want to introduce my story. I almost finished my second mission. SO WOULD BE GREAT WHAT NOONE STEAL MY IDEA biggrin.gif So story is about war. Rebels vs rulers of San Andreas. Government planing something teribble so they must be stoped. I am new in this thing but I want to try biggrin.gif I hope i didint brake rules with this short intro without uplouding any missions

Nahiyan
  • Nahiyan

I'm awesome, and I'm a scripter

• Members

Posted 22 November 2010 - 06:24 AM

Why does so many DYOM missions have betrayal in them? dozingoff.gif

Doublepulse
  • Doublepulse

• The Yardies

Posted 22 November 2010 - 06:56 AM

LOLs Nahlyan same question I always had.

I mean, my current story (not contest one) has a lot of betrayal moments. And there will be one in the one for the contest.. but I think to answer the question in my point a view.

Its always a common theme in GTA, and I like seeing the Blue Name indicating they are your friend, but later you see their name in Red and you think, hmm I guess he's not my friend anymore, and you are a bit happy your killing someone who once helped you.

Nahiyan
  • Nahiyan

I'm awesome, and I'm a scripter

• Members

Posted 22 November 2010 - 07:16 PM Edited by Nahiyan, 24 November 2010 - 02:21 PM.

You said it like the player is betraying..

Doublepulse
  • Doublepulse

• The Yardies

Posted 23 November 2010 - 12:15 AM

QUOTE (Nahiyan @ Nov 22 2010, 19:16)
You said it the player is betraying..

Well it works either way.. either the player is betrayed by his friends or he betrays his friend.

Normally its the player being betrayed by his friend and his friend is tryin to kill him.

Anyway I don't know if talking about this is going off topic with the thread tounge.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users