sasha.sashaxl
  • sasha.sashaxl

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 26 October 2010 - 11:45 AM

Hello this is my first post on these forums
i got a huge problem with GTA 4 and EFLC
this summer i got some new games : assassins creed 1and 2 , price of Persia
and i kinda got carried away and didn't play gta for about a month.
then i saw the new patch instead it and started playing it again i got some overheating problems and a sound problem (106 degrees F and a broken air conditioner)
so i stooped playing gta for another month to avoid damage
when continued the sound problem came back only on EFLC the loading screen music kept playing, so i restart the game and try again the problem is gone so i just kept playing but after 10-15 minutes the thing seemingly frezzed, but after 10 secs or so another frame came around
and it became a slide show. sad.gif

i tried memrestict comandlines didn't help tried looking online no one has the same problem as me , i thought that the patch was the problem so i reinstaled the both games and played with out the patches but it did't help curiosly gta 4 without any paches ran realy wellit was to be expected since i upgraded my computer but not that much ( the games is realy smooth and runs in fast forward)but it still crashed after 10 minutes or so
the frezzes/slowdowns seem to happen at random some times i can play for a half an hour sometimes it's aredy a slide show when i get to the menu

don't have any simular problems with any other game expect fallout 3 but it just frezes and you can esely get over it

here are my system specs

OS windows XP 64 bit
processor amd althon 64 x2 2.9 GHz
video card ati radeon HD 4870 512mg
memory 4GB
sory for a long post

viometrix
  • viometrix

Mildly Aggravating

• BUSTED!

Posted 26 October 2010 - 12:48 PM

your post was not too long, you provided info and symptoms. honestly though it looks like you are getting due for a new system or a new mobo, cpu, ram, and o/s. your system is being very taxed by this game, and the stock amd cpu cooler for that generation is really horrid for gaming. so consider an upgrade or new system, not just for this game, but for the future of all your computing needs.

IronHide-AW
  • IronHide-AW

Long Live AC/DC

• Members

Posted 26 October 2010 - 01:18 PM

Vio does that processor have thermal limiting / self protection? Since it's not happening on other games It sounds like GTA-IV is crushing the CPU causing an overtemp with its only remedy likely a huge downclock trying to cool off but that's a big guess.

OP for reference I heavily tested GTA-IV with latest patches on a MX17R2 AW laptop with an i7 720 oc'd and 2xHD4870 xfire and it probably averaged 40fps+/-15 in real-world play using medium settings with high textures and no or low shadows @ 1440 res.

sasha.sashaxl
  • sasha.sashaxl

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 26 October 2010 - 01:59 PM

first- i was conciderig buying a new PC but this one can still play most games on Med/Max settings and is more then good enough for other uses for now.

i though that it was an overheating problem too but other games fun fine, and i played the game fine for a year

I want to add that before the the sideshow thing begins game runs fine(20-40 fps) mostly in low 30's
and suddenly it would stop and go stop and go Frame by frame

viometrix
  • viometrix

Mildly Aggravating

• BUSTED!

Posted 26 October 2010 - 02:07 PM

get a good aftermarket cpu heatsink/fan... and make sure your video card cooler isnt clogged. how much air is flowing through your system? do you have adequate fans? is your current cpu heatsink full of dust?

is your cpu socket 939 or am2?

sasha.sashaxl
  • sasha.sashaxl

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 26 October 2010 - 02:42 PM

as i told before i don't think it's a heat problem the only time my pc over heated is when the temp in the room was 110degrees other than that i never had ANY problems whit temps and i do keep my pc in good conditon i clean the dust out every 2-3 month most of my wires are tucked away i've got prety good air flow and the CPU socket is AM2

IronHide-AW
  • IronHide-AW

Long Live AC/DC

• Members

Posted 26 October 2010 - 03:16 PM

QUOTE (sasha.sashaxl @ Oct 26 2010, 14:42)
...as i told before i don't think it's a heat problem...

The symptoms you're describing is what leads us toward the CPU reaching overtemp condition. In fact taken as a whole, what you're describing is textbook for it. GTA-IV is crazy intense on CPU beyond many, many other games that have FAR more visual glitter. It's not the glitter factor. It's the game world AI/objects. GTA-IV has a huge amount of logic it's throwing at the CPU.

One thing that is missing from the equation is to actually see this though. Run the in game benchmark to completion and post the CPU usage / percent. It should be run with the same settings you're running where the slide-show eventually happens.

We're just making educated guesses based on what you've said. Doesn't mean we're right and it might be something entirely different. But for now with the info at hand, this seems the most logical cause.

mkey82
  • mkey82

Keep riding hard, son

• Members

Posted 26 October 2010 - 03:54 PM

Use hardwaremonitor to check temperatures. CPU and GPU especially.

Stinky12
  • Stinky12

No title

• Members

Posted 26 October 2010 - 04:28 PM Edited by Stinky12, 26 October 2010 - 04:35 PM.

You can install the AMD CPU drivers

http://support.amd.c...mID=153&lang=us
http://support.amd.c...mID=173&lang=us

sasha.sashaxl
  • sasha.sashaxl

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 26 October 2010 - 04:33 PM

i just cheked this is gta 4, no paches at all , stock settings ( texutes med, render qualaty high)
benchmark results
avargege fps 29.79
CPU usate- 93%
system mem usge 43%
video memory usage 56%
and i was able to play for about 30 minutes
the cpu got prety hot 72 degrees
prety hot concedering others don't go beyond 65 degrees

Stinky12
  • Stinky12

No title

• Members

Posted 26 October 2010 - 04:36 PM

QUOTE (sasha.sashaxl @ Oct 26 2010, 16:33)
i just cheked this is gta 4, no paches at all , stock settings ( texutes med, render qualaty high)
benchmark results
avargege fps 29.79
CPU usate- 93%
system mem usge  43%
video memory usage 56%
and i was able to play for about 30 minutes
the cpu got prety hot 72 degrees
prety hot concedering others don't go beyond 65 degrees

72 degrees is hot, but not borderline melting hot.

Check if CPU thermal paste is dried up

IronHide-AW
  • IronHide-AW

Long Live AC/DC

• Members

Posted 26 October 2010 - 04:44 PM Edited by IronHide-AW, 26 October 2010 - 04:57 PM.

QUOTE (sasha.sashaxl @ Oct 26 2010, 16:33)
...CPU usate- 93%...

Note, the benchmark is a very limited picture but this certainly is what I was expecting. When playing the game in real terms, the engine is working a lot harder because of extra script logic, constant world transition, world population of entities, AI constantly being created, activated and destroyed etc etc. So if the bench puts you at 93% there's a good chance during normal play you are pegged at 100% or certainly above 93% a lot of the time.

Therefore, real world play will also put the temps higher.

Edited:

The magnitude of what Stinky has said regarding paste should not be taken lightly. If you have a problem at the connection point, paste or otherwise, you are on a path of destruction. Certainly do everything you can as far as cleaning, short of removing the processor, to make sure it's not a more simple dust and clog issue first. If after all of that you see little to no change in status, you will need to go deep (and extremely carefully) with a redo on the chip itself.

sasha.sashaxl
  • sasha.sashaxl

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 26 October 2010 - 04:58 PM

i'm well aware of my temperature issue i'm going to buy a bigger case but that will happen in a half a year or more until then i need a solution to the "stop and go" problem at least a temporary one.

Just in case i forgot sometimes it will pretty much hard lock my pc other times i can alt tab out of it and kill it with the task manager .

mkey82
  • mkey82

Keep riding hard, son

• Members

Posted 26 October 2010 - 05:19 PM

A temporary solution? Move the PC to a lot colder room. Seriously, what do you expect? The only thing you can try and that will not cost (much) money is to remove the cooler, clean the paste, apply new paste and seat the cooler properly to achieve a maximum cooling effect.

You did mention everything is clean as far as dust goes so your options are cut somewhat short.

IronHide-AW
  • IronHide-AW

Long Live AC/DC

• Members

Posted 26 October 2010 - 05:27 PM

I won't dissect too far but the inconsistency of "I don't think it's a heat issue" to "I am well aware of my temp issue" is ... odd.

At any rate I take "temporary solution" to actually mean "something easy and quick". Quickest solution is either stop playing games that stress your CPU beyond its current breaking point or burning out your core. Best solution is putting in the effort to maintain the chip, and as multiple folks have now all said, if it comes down to a paste / connection problem, you must address it if ( a ) that is ultimately the cause and ( b ) you do not want the chip to melt.

Stinky12
  • Stinky12

No title

• Members

Posted 26 October 2010 - 05:37 PM

Most modern CPU will have a protective heat override which powers off the entire system when it reaches critical temp.
When this happens, the user will not be able to turn their system back on until it has cooled down.

He can do is open up the case place a household fan and blow directly at his components to see if that helps.
Not sure where he place his system, hope it's not in a enclosed cabinet.

sasha.sashaxl
  • sasha.sashaxl

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 26 October 2010 - 05:43 PM

well that will fix the heat problem
but like i said the whole year it ran fine at exactly this time of year
maybe someone knows conflicting programs games settings and others
or something else

when i asked my friend about it he said that it's a memory leak, what exactly is a memory leak could this be the case

IronHide-AW
  • IronHide-AW

Long Live AC/DC

• Members

Posted 26 October 2010 - 05:45 PM

@Stinky

Right which is why I asked Vio early in the thread if that chip has thermal throttle / protection. I haven't messed with AMD CPU's since my good old FX60. I assume it does which is what lead me to thinking of it being CPU overheat in the first place. Throttling itself because the oven is out of hand.

But anyway the brunt of what we're all trying to do is jolt this guy into realizing he may be standing on the edge of cliff with a smoldering cpu at the bottom. A fan directly at the side will always help a few degree, unless the ambient air is actually hotter in which case there are much bigger problems.

IronHide-AW
  • IronHide-AW

Long Live AC/DC

• Members

Posted 26 October 2010 - 05:56 PM

QUOTE (sasha.sashaxl @ Oct 26 2010, 17:43)
well that will fix the heat problem
but like i said the whole year it ran fine at exactly this time of year
maybe someone knows conflicting programs games settings and others
or something else

when i asked my friend about it he said that it's a memory leak, what exactly is a memory leak could this be the case

Time of year will certainly effect overall ambient house temps and marginally affect component operation based on ventilation. But you're not thinking about it correctly. Heatsinks exist for a very specific reason. Without them, chips run-away with temps (plenty enough to melt flesh if you touched it before or until) it simply burns out. They draw the heat away from it and disapate the heat away from the source.

If the CPU has a bad connection to the sink, a fan will help cool it a little. But it will not prevent it from going nova over time if there is an ongoing degrading connection or paste failure.

A memory leak is a general term describing the process of software (badly written or otherwise) not disposing resources, pointers or otherwise losing / orphaning data in memory. The general outcome is a growing memory footprint filled with stuff no longer being controlled or garbage collected by its original owning thread or process.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users