• This topic is locked This topic is locked
17 replies to this topic
rollout
  • rollout

Outlaw

• Members

Posted 24 October 2010 - 10:18 PM

CLEO 3 vs CLEO 4

I don't know what should I use, because I have mods that only work with CLEO 3, but I'm seeing some mods that are made for CLEO 4...
Do you think that is worth to change from 3 to 4?
Give me your advice... confused.gif

DimitriRUS
  • DimitriRUS

Hustler

• Members

Posted 24 October 2010 - 10:31 PM

CLEO4? I never heard of it, what are differences etween 3 and 4?

james227uk
  • james227uk

One Spartan Army

• Andolini Mafia Family

Posted 24 October 2010 - 10:36 PM

CLEO4. Hands down debate over. The extra opcodes are very helpful to us coders. The only reason to use CLEO3 is because of the minor compatibility issues with some CLEO3 mods on CLEO4

yair1221
  • yair1221

Homie

• Members

Posted 25 October 2010 - 04:42 AM

CLEO 4 is made on asi(was CLEO 3 that way too? cant remember)
anyway, now i use thousands of asi's, without having to put the asi loader and replace the CLEO colgate.gif

TheSiggi
  • TheSiggi

Surgeon

• Members

Posted 25 October 2010 - 06:32 AM

Why? Please tell me why!!!

To correct what yair said: CLEO 3 uses the ASI loader as an (or two) external files whereas CLEO4 has its ASI loader in another file which makes the other ASI loader unneccessary.

I personaly prefer 3 because its running very stable and works with all mods for 3 whereas CLEO 4 doesn't allow me to use my mods in a firm way so I used a another copy for CLEO4 only.

Wesser
  • Wesser

The complexity simplifier, the efficiency optimizer.

• Feroci Racing
  • Unknown

Posted 25 October 2010 - 12:57 PM

It's known CLEO4 doesn't give the full compatibility with every .cs/.cm scripts because of some CLEO3 opcodes modification. I prefer adopting the third version to avoid any inexplicable issues which may be occur during the creation of either main or external script file. It's also due to the fact I can replicate any opcodes which have been implemented till now. smile.gif

Deji
  • Deji

Coding like a Rockstar!

• Feroci Racing
  • None

Posted 25 October 2010 - 02:08 PM

Well as far as Ryosukes Missile script goes, I've figured out that CLEO 4 uses it's own internal file handle for faster and easier file operations. Ryosuke uses the file handle with an SA Function, which is incompatible with this new kind of file handle.

However, this SA Function can easily be re-coded using CLEO 4 opcodes (which I've done for one of my mods). Essentially, this can be fixed by either using SA's openfile functions or using CLEO 4 opcodes to do what he used functions for.

This is the only incompatibility issue I'm aware of.. perhaps any other issues are a similar thing.. they mostly appear in Ryosukes mods and he's one of the few who use functions so frequently.

I just keep two copies of CLEO. CLEO 3 named "cleo.asi3" to disable it. Often I don't need to touch it, but it's good to have in case I ever do. CLEO 4 has many more possibilities, so definitely keep it at hand tounge.gif

Shame Ryosuke's not gonna be doing anything else with GTA confused.gif

ZAZ
  • ZAZ

Kernlochbohrer

• Members
  • European-Union

Posted 25 October 2010 - 04:43 PM

Cleo4 is not really Cleo4. It should be titeled as cleo3.5-Alienversion.
And I'm angry to see only a cleo4 explanation at cleo.sannybuilder.com
I allready got pms from some fans who asked about cleo4 problems and I said, go back to 3 you need 4 only for cleo4 mods.
So question: which mods requires cleo4?
to see mods which runs on 3 click on my sig

Deji
  • Deji

Coding like a Rockstar!

• Feroci Racing
  • None

Posted 25 October 2010 - 06:05 PM

What do you mean about being angry at seeing an explanation at the website? Where else would it be?

I can't quite tell if that question is rhetorical or whether you are generally curious about how CLEO 4 is actually providing good mods.

Burst Missile Mod, Replay Saver, Weather ID Selector, Tactical Laser System, CD, Carmen, GPS (CLEO 4 isn't required, but adds extra features and fixes audio bugs), On-Screen Keyboard, CLEO Music Player, Black Market Mod and quite a few scripts at the Sanny Builder forums... That's just a list of the ones I know about.

But I am interested.. what mods of yours don't work in CLEO 4? I've not found any problems with CLEO 3 mods except for Ryosukes extra advanced scripts... which are fixable. I guess CLEO 4 is more of a good thing for people who know how to use the new and more advanced opcodes it provides.

rollout
  • rollout

Outlaw

• Members

Posted 25 October 2010 - 06:32 PM

What does the "bass.dll" that comes with CLEO 4 do?

Wesser
  • Wesser

• Feroci Racing
  • Unknown

Posted 25 October 2010 - 07:02 PM

The "bass.dll" library is required in order to play MP3s using CLEO4 opcodes.

Alien has to satisfy our needs first before modifing opcodes which are widely used with the previously version, not just creating those opcodes for his personal purposes. whatsthat.gif

I think, the last version is still in the early stage on the basis of our expectations, meaning it's beta. We mustn't make it growing up the number of mods on-line which uses the fourth version. confused.gif

Silent
  • Silent

Moderating Cookie Monster

• Feroci Racing
  • Poland

Posted 25 October 2010 - 07:12 PM

Maybe CLEO4 is still in beta stage, but it is stable for me. Can't see any errors caused by fourth version of library, so it is OK IMO.

So my answer is - CLEO4, but only when you have mods designed for that version. If you're using only CLEO3 mods, then stick with old version.

Wesser
  • Wesser

• Feroci Racing
  • Unknown

Posted 25 October 2010 - 07:40 PM

Your answer is a bit pointless because if there's no stable version to work with, then make only some tests to solve all annoying bugs. In addition, expert user's are able to replicate every CLEO4 functionality using CLEO3 opcodes which are the basis of advanced coding. bored.gif

People don't like switching for each version when it's really needed.

Deji
  • Deji

Coding like a Rockstar!

• Feroci Racing
  • None

Posted 25 October 2010 - 09:00 PM

A "modding debate" forming tounge2.gif

@Wesser

But going by that logic, CLEO might as well just be a script loader. An expert user can replicate every functionality in SCM! CLEO 1 and 2 basically did just that.

The only problem with CLEO 4 is it focuses too much on getting easy C++ functionality into CLEO. The crash in Ryosukes missile script with CLEO 4 is caused by the fact that CLEO 4 returns a different kind of file handle to CLEO 3. I would say here that CLEO 3's method is better purely because it works with GTA Functions... Unfotunately it is probable that there is no way to get the file operations to work with both C++ operations and GTA Functions.

I probably should've taken a chance to note Alien of this difference. He managed to increase the compatibility with older CLEO Scripts by allowing to type the file open mode in the old hex/dec way or the C++ "rt" "rb etc. way. It would probably be better if he'd made the older style handle return if the user didn't pass a string. Still, it's something that can be considered for updates. I'd bet every CLEO 4 user took advantage of the string method. So the next CLEO could increase compatibility with them both.

So basically, it's all about waiting for further updates on CLEO.. Which can better dictate whether CLEO's new functions are better than what we can do manually. It's hard to predict what updating CLEO can do for compatibility with thousands of CLEO scripts across the world... A few months ago everyone was excited about an update. The specific compatibility issues can't be predicted, but extra assurances can be made for the next update.

Seemann
  • Seemann

Ruhe

• Members
  • Russia

Posted 25 October 2010 - 10:31 PM

QUOTE (Deji @ Oct 26 2010, 00:00)
I probably should've taken a chance to note Alien of this difference. He managed to increase the compatibility with older CLEO Scripts by allowing to type the file open mode in the old hex/dec way or the C++ "rt" "rb etc. way. It would probably be better if he'd made the older style handle return if the user didn't pass a string. Still, it's something that can be considered for updates. I'd bet every CLEO 4 user took advantage of the string method. So the next CLEO could increase compatibility with them both.

I've informed Alien about this problem and a suggested solution. Hope he will fix it sometime.

Anymore issues/solutions?

Deji
  • Deji

Coding like a Rockstar!

• Feroci Racing
  • None

Posted 26 October 2010 - 02:27 AM Edited by Deji, 26 October 2010 - 02:31 AM.

Thanks... It'd be great if there was a way to get the old file handle, since it works with GTA Functions. That way I can always use the hex representation of the file open params and use GTA Functions.

However, I'm guessing this will remove compatibility with the new CLEO 4 file opcodes... So they'd have to be used separately according to requirements.

I've not witnessed many problems aside from that one. Although I don't really download many other mods. If someone else knows of an issue, feel free to let me know and I'll try and figure out the cause.

I tested the Car Saloon mod quite a bit. The only unworking feature is the save game script. However, this still bugs out for me in CLEO 3. The save diskette doesn't reappear.

In CLEO 4, it seems to crash at "0051: return" - the problem is not on saving, but on loading. Maybe information about the position which the gosub was called from is lost?

I modified the script, took the gosub out of the equasion. The save diskette is now reappearing on both CLEO 3 and CLEO 4. I can save in either version and load fine. So while in CLEO 4 it crashes, in CLEO 3 it bugs.

kingroy100
  • kingroy100

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 18 April 2013 - 12:42 PM

CLEO 4 Because Cleo 4 Can Use Cleo 3,2,And Also 1 Mods

TheGodfather.
  • TheGodfather.

Nobody likes me here...I think...

• Members

Posted 18 April 2013 - 03:27 PM

Dude..U bumped a 2010 topic..Better next time check the year of the last post.. wink.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users