» «
Photo

GTA 5: Blood on the Bayou

14 replies to this topic
Wolfenhoffen
  • Wolfenhoffen

The Wolves Come Out At Night...

• Members

Posted 23 October 2010 - 12:07 AM Edited by Wolfenhoffen, 23 October 2010 - 12:14 AM.

GTA 5: Blood on the Bayou will be set in a Louisiana type environment, featuring a large city similar to New Orleans along with plenty of swamp land, marshes, farmland, waterways, and smaller towns and cities. There will be a small mountain range called the "Aardvark mountains" to the north, a knock off of the Ozark mountains.

New Orleans, Louisiana would be excellent inspiration for a GTA game. It has its own unique atmosphere and culture that can't be found in any other American city. It's really in its own category! Think of all the unique personalities that are possible, everything from New Orleans mobsters, swamp people, hill billies, wealthy southern aristocrats, etc.

Theme song for the game:

I'm not very artsy, so if someone would like to come up with a logo, that would be awesome!

Here's what the map might look like:

user posted image

LuisBellic
  • LuisBellic

8 Balls

• Members

Posted 23 October 2010 - 12:15 AM

nice try adding more stuff in it tho

Wolfenhoffen
  • Wolfenhoffen

• Members

Posted 23 October 2010 - 12:17 AM

QUOTE (LuisBellic @ Oct 22 2010, 19:15)
nice try adding more stuff in it tho

The more the merrier!
smile.gif

eastcoastboy17
  • eastcoastboy17

American badass

• Members

Posted 23 October 2010 - 12:20 AM

You seem to be on to something,but you got to add more details such as the characters,gameplay and a story.

Kwandilibro
  • Kwandilibro

Be eye itch.

• Members

Posted 23 October 2010 - 03:52 AM

QUOTE (Wolfenhoffen @ Oct 22 2010, 20:07)
everything from New Orleans mobsters, swamp people, hill billies, wealthy southern aristocrats, etc.

You must not be from the NOLA. If you were, you'd surely be aware of the incredible flood of street gangs down there, which you casually left out. Without street gangs, New Orleans, let alone GTA, is incomplete.

I mean really, New Orleans is swamped with street gangs, how the hell did you miss them?

And that map doesn't seem to be based on Louisiana. I hate to be Mr. Critic, but that's not at all like LA. Again people, there's this thing called a map. And aren't the Ozarks in Missouri? Says here that the tallest point in LA is only 535 ft. WAAAAAAAYYYYY off.

Again, I hate to be a critic, especially when you really haven't shown much of anything but a map and a location wish, but if you're going to do a concept, you need to do some research.

Mati
  • Mati

f*ck the planet till it spins on a broken axis

• BUSTED!

Posted 23 October 2010 - 07:08 AM

This looks interesting, lets see what it becomes.

SirPsychoSexy
  • SirPsychoSexy

The Poet

• Members

Posted 23 October 2010 - 12:21 PM

Looks good mate. Keep on working.

Wolfenhoffen
  • Wolfenhoffen

• Members

Posted 23 October 2010 - 06:05 PM

QUOTE (Kwandilibro @ Oct 22 2010, 22:52)
QUOTE (Wolfenhoffen @ Oct 22 2010, 20:07)
everything from New Orleans mobsters, swamp people, hill billies, wealthy southern aristocrats, etc.

You must not be from the NOLA. If you were, you'd surely be aware of the incredible flood of street gangs down there, which you casually left out. Without street gangs, New Orleans, let alone GTA, is incomplete.

I mean really, New Orleans is swamped with street gangs, how the hell did you miss them?

And that map doesn't seem to be based on Louisiana. I hate to be Mr. Critic, but that's not at all like LA. Again people, there's this thing called a map. And aren't the Ozarks in Missouri? Says here that the tallest point in LA is only 535 ft. WAAAAAAAYYYYY off.

Again, I hate to be a critic, especially when you really haven't shown much of anything but a map and a location wish, but if you're going to do a concept, you need to do some research.

For crying out loud, try using your imagination! Sheeesh.
Also, street gangs don't play that big of a role in the GTA series except in San Andreas.
GTA mainly focuses on organized crime. I never left out street gangs though, maybe you didn't notice the "etc" at the end of the sentence?

The map wasn't meant to be realistic either. An entirely flat terrain would be boring, which is why I included mountains. Having mountains allows for other activities like mountain biking, base jumping, 4x4 wheeling, etc. The swamp/bayou environment would allow for swamp boat racing, alligator hunting, and other swamp activities.

Rafe
  • Rafe

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 23 October 2010 - 08:38 PM

I live in New Orleans and have for well over a decade but i must say I don't think it's a good idea for a GTA city. Our most recognizable features are bourbon st. and other historic portions fo the french quarter, the superdome, St. Charles trolly transit. I just don't think you can play on teh recognition of a city like New York or LA the same way as new orleans. I'm racking my brain to try to figure out other places, maybe our airport, or above ground cemeteries.

Anyway i've been here some time and have had no exposure to gangs, i suppose that tends to be localized ot the public housing projects but i couldn't think of gang names and dont' recall hearing of gang designations.

Also as far as mountains go New Orleans is totally flat. I guess if you compress the geography and make something equilvlent to ozarka mnts that could make sense but otherwise swampland should be mostly flat.

TommyMufc-Champs
  • TommyMufc-Champs

Account ditched. New account Tommy.

• Members

Posted 23 October 2010 - 09:05 PM

Yeah you need to add a bit more smile.gif

Spaghetti Cat
  • Spaghetti Cat

I Love Pony Farming

• Members

Posted 23 October 2010 - 09:32 PM

QUOTE (Rafe @ Oct 23 2010, 15:38)
I live in New Orleans and have for well over a decade but i must say I don't think it's a good idea for a GTA city. Our most recognizable features are bourbon st. and other historic portions fo the french quarter, the superdome, St. Charles trolly transit. I just don't think you can play on teh recognition of a city like New York or LA the same way as new orleans. I'm racking my brain to try to figure out other places, maybe our airport, or above ground cemeteries.

Anyway i've been here some time and have had no exposure to gangs, i suppose that tends to be localized ot the public housing projects but i couldn't think of gang names and dont' recall hearing of gang designations.

Also as far as mountains go New Orleans is totally flat. I guess if you compress the geography and make something equilvlent to ozarka mnts that could make sense but otherwise swampland should be mostly flat.

I gotta agree with this.

Also you might want to resize the map b/c of the page stretch

Kwandilibro
  • Kwandilibro

Be eye itch.

• Members

Posted 23 October 2010 - 09:37 PM

QUOTE (Wolfenhoffen @ Oct 23 2010, 14:05)
For crying out loud, try using your imagination! Sheeesh.
Also, street gangs don't play that big of a role in the GTA series except in San Andreas.
GTA mainly focuses on organized crime. I never left out street gangs though, maybe you didn't notice the "etc" at the end of the sentence?

The map wasn't meant to be realistic either. An entirely flat terrain would be boring, which is why I included mountains. Having mountains allows for other activities like mountain biking, base jumping, 4x4 wheeling, etc. The swamp/bayou environment would allow for swamp boat racing, alligator hunting, and other swamp activities.

Damn man ever hear of constructive criticism?

Saying that GTA focuses only on organized crime is silly, just as saying that SA focused on gangs is silly. GTA focuses on a variety of criminal enterprises, not just one particular kind. If you would have played the other games, particularly III and IV, you would notice that a variety of criminal organizations is featured. Focusing on just the mob or just street gangs gets boring quickly.

I was also assuming that since you mentioned New Orleans, you'd know how incredibly dangerous some parts of the city are. New Orleans is notorious for having a high crime rate. Don't let the French Quarter or Mardi Gras fool you. That high murder rate didn't come from some mafia or some wealthy aristocrats.

Secondly, that map of Louisiana is as inaccurate as can be. If you plan on making a concept about a certain area, you need to try and actually base it on that area. If that particular area isn't varied enough, it's probably not the best for GTA, in which case, you need to consider a state or region. Louisiana is a great example of this, as it isn't the most varied or interesting place in the world.

@Rafe, Gangs in N.O. don't typically claim large gang alliance names like Blood or Crip. They're very local gangs, based usually around ghetto areas and projects. You're not going to find gang members walking around the French Quarter. Hence, if you don't live in an impoverished neighborhood, like an other American city, chances are, you won't find too many gangs or crime in general.

Now, I don't live anywhere near New Orleans, but I can agree with you in that NO is primarily flat. There aren't any mountains. The majority of the city is below sea level, and was (and for the surrounding areas, is), a swamp. That's just common sense.

Back at the topic starter, you really need to put more work into this if you want any respect. And dammit, do some research. I'm not being a prick or anything, I'm trying to help you.

Rafe
  • Rafe

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 24 October 2010 - 01:10 AM

QUOTE (Kwandilibro @ Oct 23 2010, 21:37)

@Rafe, Gangs in N.O. don't typically claim large gang alliance names like Blood or Crip. They're very local gangs, based usually around ghetto areas and projects. You're not going to find gang members walking around the French Quarter. Hence, if you don't live in an impoverished neighborhood, like an other American city, chances are, you won't find too many gangs or crime in general.

yeah i recall reading on some econ log that the presence of gangs are just the outcome of centralized defense agencies failure to protect property and life so gangs will form spontaneously. The french quarter is a major revenue source for taxation so it tends to have very robust protection.

Still new orleans zoning or planning results in public housing being "peppered" or distributed heterogeneously around the city area so poverty/ crime doesn't seem to be concentrated but distributed randomly. Because of the commuters tend to have to drive through crappy areas to get to work, etc. As you mention the geographical alliance thing i do recall less then reputable individuals attempting to identify with each other by asking what ward they are from. So like you might have 9th ward or Iberville project alliances. Still i'm so alienated from the this aspect of society i probably shouldn't be commenting.

Kwandilibro
  • Kwandilibro

Be eye itch.

• Members

Posted 24 October 2010 - 01:38 AM

QUOTE (Rafe @ Oct 23 2010, 21:10)
QUOTE (Kwandilibro @ Oct 23 2010, 21:37)

yeah i recall reading on some econ log that the presence of gangs are just the outcome of centralized defense agencies failure to protect property and life so gangs will form spontaneously. The french quarter is a major revenue source for taxation so it tends to have very robust protection.

Still new orleans zoning or planning results in public housing being "peppered" or distributed heterogeneously around the city area so poverty/ crime doesn't seem to be concentrated but distributed randomly. Because of the commuters tend to have to drive through crappy areas to get to work, etc. As you mention the geographical alliance thing i do recall less then reputable individuals attempting to identify with each other by asking what ward they are from. So like you might have 9th ward or Iberville project alliances. Still i'm so alienated from the this aspect of society i probably shouldn't be commenting.

Whereas, excluding New York and a few other cities, generally, US cities have a ring of central poverty surrounding downtown. But this isn't the case in New Orleans. It's just weird. But violent, nonetheless, since the poverty level in those areas is extreme compared to other places.

Wolfenhoffen
  • Wolfenhoffen

• Members

Posted 24 October 2010 - 01:49 AM

Thanks for all the replies, I appreciate the criticism and suggestions.
I don't intend on adding anything more to this concept, since I'm pretty sure Rockstar has already decided on a location for the next game anyways,

If a GTA city was based on New Orleans, then I'd hope it would play off of the more sensational aspects of New Orleans culture, i.e. Voodoo, Cajun culture, etc. Also, New Orleans has an interesting history of Italian mafioso's like Carlos Marcello and others who ran the organized crime network in that city. I think the city would be great inspiration for a GTA game, maybe if its set back in the early 1960's era when organized crime was big there.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users