Quantcast

» «
Photo

Do Aliens Exist?

281 replies to this topic

Poll: Does Alien Exist (323 member(s) have cast votes)

Does Alien Exist

1. Yes (181 votes [61.99%])

Percentage of vote: 61.99%

2. No (31 votes [10.62%])

Percentage of vote: 10.62%

3. Maybe (80 votes [27.40%])

Percentage of vote: 27.40%

Vote Guests cannot vote
d0mm2k8
  • d0mm2k8

ad infinitum

• Leone Family Mafia

Posted 17 October 2011 - 10:33 PM

QUOTE (oysterbarron @ Monday, Oct 17 2011, 16:46)
also if astronaights are in space does that mean there actually looking into the past when looking at tue earth?

Let's not forget to factor in the extremely small amount of gravitational time dilation. On Earth, time is moving slower than up in space due the lower gravitational potential. It's much more obvious in tremendous gravitational fields such as that of a black hole. I only have a minor understanding of these concepts since I'm merely a baby physicist but it's still damn interesting and something to factor in when speaking of astronauts 'looking into the past' since we even have to factor it in when calibrating GPS.
Maybe someone else could correct me or add to what I've said?

OysterBarron
  • OysterBarron

You need a Pearl necklace? Hit me up ;)

• Zaibatsu
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 17 October 2011 - 11:35 PM

Well it explains why it takes transmissions a while to get back to earth. So a live feed from the space station would have to wait for the light to bounce off the earth and be recieved by the camera. then beamed back at light speed via a wave of some kind to mission control. So they have doubled the light recieving time but they are still looking at the earth slightly in the past!

K^2
  • K^2

Vidi Vici Veni

• United-States
  • Most Knowledgeable [Web Development/Programming] 2013
    Most Knowledgeable [GTA Series] 2011
    Best Debater 2010

Posted 17 October 2011 - 11:44 PM

Maybe someone else could correct me or add to what I've said?

You're forgetting about time dilation due to relative velocities. Because a person on the surface is at rest with respect to surface, an object on low Earth orbit is actually more time-dilated than the surface observer, while an object in a really high orbit is less time-dilated. In fact, there is an orbit at which time flows at exactly the same rate as for an observer standing on the surface. (Naturally, twin paradox is still in effect, with exactly the same resolution.)

If you assume the Earth to be perfectly spherical, id est, Schwarzschild metric, the time dilation factor due to gravity is 1/sqrt(1-2GM/rc˛). I'm not sure if you can get away with it in general, but for circular orbits at least, you can simply add it to Lorentz time dilation. Fell free to plug in the numbers to find the orbit where time flows at the same rate as on the surface, from perspective of surface observer.

OysterBarron
  • OysterBarron

You need a Pearl necklace? Hit me up ;)

• Zaibatsu
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 19 October 2011 - 07:36 AM

So lightspeed does it effect human reaction times? as you would have to wait for the light to hit the retina and then the brain to render the image so you can understand it. if this is the case then were all living in the past..

K^2
  • K^2

Vidi Vici Veni

• United-States
  • Most Knowledgeable [Web Development/Programming] 2013
    Most Knowledgeable [GTA Series] 2011
    Best Debater 2010

Posted 19 October 2011 - 06:13 PM

Light speed delay is absolutely minimal in most situations. There is a much bigger lag while signals travel through your nervous system. It takes you about 0.15 s to respond to a visual stimulus. A big chunk of that is your "vision" lagging behind what your eyes actually receive. So yeah, your brain most certainly does live in the past, but it has little to do with speed of light.

Speed of light becomes noticeable in satellite communication. Especially, when geostationary satellites are involved. These are located 40,000km above surface, with distance between them easily as much. So there you have almost half a second of delay between you saying something, and the other person hearing it. Then just as much for the response. That creates the lag in some teleconferences. I'm sure you've noticed that before.

Things are even worse with unmanned space exploration. Distance between Earth and Mars varies between roughly 4 light minutes and 20 light minutes. So when you control a rover remotely, there can be as much as 20 minute lag between what's happening to rover on Mars and what you see here on Earth, and then 20 more minutes for your control input to be relayed back. So it can take as much as 40 minutes for reaction to something that happened. And that leads to rovers getting stuck in places, which is a big part of the reason why NASA wants better AI on these things to be able to take care of little emergencies on its own.

Edit: Woah, this is getting a bit OT.

Alastair Smyth
  • Alastair Smyth

Kifflom, brother-uncle!

• Members
  • Greece

Posted 04 November 2011 - 03:57 AM

I find others forms of life (which we are not aware of yet/will never be) highly likeable and interesting. I think we can only begin to imagine what could be out there. Though I can only wish for who- or whatever's out there that we do not find it, since humans have this gross habit of dominating and forcing their violent ways on everybody and everything.

iGrandTheftAuto
  • iGrandTheftAuto

Mack Pimp

• BUSTED!

Posted 23 November 2011 - 12:17 AM Edited by sivispacem, 23 November 2011 - 09:05 AM.

Please do not spam in the sub-forums.

gta player13
  • gta player13

BOOM! headshot.

• Members

Posted 06 November 2012 - 08:15 PM Edited by sivispacem, 07 November 2012 - 07:53 AM.

Exactly aliens:NO
Life in other planets:Some of them only because of lack of oxygen and there is more heat or cold.
Life in other galaxies:YES like andromeda for example.
Life in moon:Doubtly

- Please don't bump dead topics unless you are going to contribute something significant -

TenEightyOne
  • TenEightyOne

We're bouncing now?

• Members

Posted 10 November 2012 - 11:03 PM

QUOTE (PHCharls @ Wednesday, Oct 20 2010, 14:01)
many news keep telling about Aliens went here by UFO.IS this true or false

Whats your opinion?

Whoa... that's not the poll question! Poll question is "do they exist".

My opinion is yes; statistically I find it inconceivable that they don't.

OP then asks "have they visited us". No, I'm sure they haven't. Admiittedly I'm more sure about them existing than having failed to visit us...

tuareg
  • tuareg

Goodbye, John Marston. It's been a great pleasure!

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • None

Posted 17 November 2012 - 07:25 PM Edited by tuareg, 18 November 2012 - 12:52 AM.

posting this for anyone interested!

The first few minutes of the video summarises it pretty nicely. If you really are interested you can watch it in parts. That's what i did!

feliciano2040
  • feliciano2040

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 18 November 2012 - 06:44 PM

QUOTE (gta player13 @ Tuesday, Nov 6 2012, 20:15)
Life in other planets:Some of them only because of lack of oxygen and there is more heat or cold.

It has been theorized that some life forms may be favored by amonia (sp).

HUGOHL
  • HUGOHL

In my heaven, there are no gods.

• Members
  • None

Posted 24 November 2012 - 08:39 PM Edited by sivispacem, 24 November 2012 - 11:25 PM.

I'm sure there are. BUT I don't think the "UFOs" we have "spotted" are anything alive, or even real.
So, there surely are aliens Somewhere, over the rainbow...

-Please read the subforum rules in future-

Jriv
  • Jriv

十THE R34P3R

• Members
  • None

Posted 14 April 2013 - 06:19 PM

I'm sure there is aswell. I doubt that we are the only ones here. But I think we also have some of it in our head, like HUGOHL said, the spots of UFOs and stuff like that isn't the real deal. But I do definitely agree that there is a form of life out there other than us.

sivispacem
  • sivispacem

Absolute Dunkel:Heit

• United-Kingdom
  • Contribution Award [D&D]
    Contribution Award [General Chat]
    Most Knowledgeable [Vehicles] 2013
    Best Debater 2013, 2012, 2011

Posted 14 April 2013 - 06:28 PM

QUOTE (THE R34P3R @ Sunday, Apr 14 2013, 19:19)
I'm sure there is aswell. I doubt that we are the only ones here. But I think we also have some of it in our head, like HUGOHL said, the spots of UFOs and stuff like that isn't the real deal. But I do definitely agree that there is a form of life out there other than us.

If your going to bump a topic in D&D, please ensure that your bump is worthwhile.
Read the sub-forum rules before posting again.

Iroquois
  • Iroquois

Playa

• Members

Posted 23 June 2014 - 02:03 AM Edited by Iroquois, 23 June 2014 - 02:04 AM.

The possibility of aliens existing is incredibly so high and logically irrefutable that the question should be turned into a law like the law of gravity, something that doesnt have to be directly investigated to know that it is true.

Logically and/or using the drake equation, the number of alien organisms or civilizations is astronomically high. Heck, even though the drake equation takes account of some dimension of time, it doesnt include any civilizations that have survived over an incredibly large unit of time, that have existed or if currently exist in a different dimension.

It is a definite 110 % fact that they exist. No and maybe are not acceptable answers.

Carmen!
  • Carmen!

Just Passing Through..

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 25 June 2014 - 01:22 AM

Aliens themselves do not exist. However, fallen angels do. Basically, demons that have power to manipulate physics and do things that are logically impossible. They can and do appear around the world. Here's a witness of what was reported to be "grays". They are demonic beings that have foul stenches and decrepit forms. Phil Snider, Bill Schnoebelen, and a few others have documented this numerous times.

Iroquois
  • Iroquois

Playa

• Members

Posted 25 June 2014 - 11:47 AM

Aliens themselves do not exist. However, fallen angels do. Basically, demons that have power to manipulate physics and do things that are logically impossible. They can and do appear around the world. Here's a witness of what was reported to be "grays". They are demonic beings that have foul stenches and decrepit forms. Phil Snider, Bill Schnoebelen, and a few others have documented this numerous times.

I think you may have it backwards. The thing with the concept with angels demons and gods is that they defy the laws of science. Assuming that the ancient astronaut theory would be true, then your concept would be coorect since they were just using technology that we would have no knowledge of and would see it as "impossible" and "magic".

El_Diablo
  • El_Diablo

"The_Devil" ™

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Mars

Posted 25 June 2014 - 05:14 PM

here's a tip for you, Carmen.

I'm only going to say it once.

stop posting in the Debates forum.

• Tacymist likes this

Carmen!
  • Carmen!

Just Passing Through..

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 25 June 2014 - 05:58 PM

here's a tip for you, Carmen.
I'm only going to say it once.

stop posting in the Debates forum.

Why?

sivispacem
  • sivispacem

• United-Kingdom

Posted 25 June 2014 - 06:04 PM

I'm going to chime in here;

D&D is for structured, intelligent debate. I don't know whether you actually, truly believe the things you post here- your failure to continue the discussion when backed into a corner in another thread suggests not, or whether you're trolling, but your posts tend to fall below the accepted standard around here. In fact, and I must stress this is merely my perception, everything you have posted so far in this section appears to an external observer to be blatant trolling. Especially given the fervour with which you post very paint-by-numbers, right-wing-Christian-fundamentalist responses combined with your total ignorance of actual theology and religious philosophy.

The fact your original account was banned on request, with you effectively saying that you "didn't want to" and "couldn't" return, then immediately made a second account after this ban with a totally different personality, claiming to be a different gender, doesn't exactly fill me with confidence that you aren't just a troll.

Carmen!
  • Carmen!

Just Passing Through..

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 26 June 2014 - 07:19 AM

[quote name="sivispacem" post="1065670320" timestamp="1403719499"]

I'm going to chime in here;

D&D is for structured, intelligent debate. I don't know whether you actually, truly believe the things you post here- your failure to continue the discussion when backed into a corner in another thread suggests not, or whether you're trolling, but your posts tend to fall below the accepted standard around here. In fact, and I must stress this is merely my perception, everything you have posted so far in this section appears to an external observer to be blatant trolling. Especially given the fervour with which you post very paint-by-numbers, right-wing-Christian-fundamentalist responses combined with your total ignorance of actual theology and religious philosophy.

The fact your original account was banned on request, with you effectively saying that you "didn't want to" and "couldn't" return, then immediately made a second account after this ban with a totally different personality, claiming to be a different gender, doesn't exactly fill me with confidence that you aren't just a troll.[/quote

Not true. I do not troll. Sure this is my second account, but still, that was never my purpose. Ask yourself, what gain do I have by 'trolling'? I like to weigh in on debates and discussion because I like these topics presented here. And also, I have a right to speak my mind and provide evidence for it. You and others may call it ignorant, but I don't care. You are not the judge of logic or what qualifies as 'evidence' or arguements.

sivispacem
  • sivispacem

• United-Kingdom

Posted 26 June 2014 - 07:47 AM

I don't know what you would stand to gain by trolling. Does anyone stand to gain anything material from it?

As for whether I'm the "judge of logic or what qualifies as evidence", I sort of am when it comes to the forum by virtue of being a moderator. I have no intent to stifle legitimate debate but by the same token I'm more than haply to wade in and shut down topics, remove comments etc which fall blow the required standard or which I consider to be indicative of trolling or baiting.

Carmen!
  • Carmen!

Just Passing Through..

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 26 June 2014 - 03:58 PM

I don't know what you would stand to gain by trolling. Does anyone stand to gain anything material from it?

As for whether I'm the "judge of logic or what qualifies as evidence", I sort of am when it comes to the forum by virtue of being a moderator. I have no intent to stifle legitimate debate but by the same token I'm more than haply to wade in and shut down topics, remove comments etc which fall blow the required standard or which I consider to be indicative of trolling or baiting.

Fine sivispacem, I'll consider El Diablo's advice and stop posting on this side of the forums. It's clear that i'm not taken seriously or most people don't really care with what I have to say. I'll just take my business elsewhere.

sivispacem
  • sivispacem

• United-Kingdom

Posted 26 June 2014 - 05:40 PM

I have no issue with you continuing to post in this section of the forum as long as you do so in a structured, reasoned and contributory manner.
If you don't think you are taken seriously, has it struck you to consider why that may be?

Carmen!
  • Carmen!

Just Passing Through..

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 27 June 2014 - 05:27 AM

I have no issue with you continuing to post in this section of the forum as long as you do so in a structured, reasoned and contributory manner.
If you don't think you are taken seriously, has it struck you to consider why that may be?

I already understand why. It's been because I don't provide solid enough evidence to convince people in a debate forum. I already know the rules. I've just been too prideful/headstrong to even provide evidence and sources to backup my claims. And for that, I am labeled as a potential troll to garner attention. However, I feel as through even if I provided legit and credible evidence and resources, some of you here still wouldn't believe me. Therefore, I must say that I respectfully would like to apologize and I bow out of this forum.

GunWrath
  • GunWrath

Needs More Beer

• Members
  • United-States
  • Most Helpful [Expression] 2013

Posted 27 June 2014 - 06:15 AM

I watched a documentary the night before on History Channel called Proving God. I don't believe in any deity, however the documentary was actually amusing and eye-opening. It was mainly based on physicists who were also devout Christians that were searching for proof as well. I guess in a means to prove to us 'non-believers' that he actually does exist and they were also using science to prove that events in the bible did happen and were plausible. Pretty neat show.. I know that it isn't 100% related to this topic, just figured I'd share it here for those that enjoy space, science, religious debates and life.

Anyways, at the end of the documentary, I still came to the conclusion that I stand where I've always stood, that there is no god and there must be some form of life somewhere out there. We may never find life, due to the sheer size of the universe but with science, proven methods of life and other matter, I believe there is life out there, it's almost impossible to think otherwise, it's inevitable. Intelligent life? Now that's another theory.. I believe that organisms are out there in many of the moons/planets visible today. I believe if there were intelligent life within our solar system, that we would have some sort of knowledge of it by now, just my honest opinion.. though I could be wrong. That's the fun part about this topic of discussion and space exploration and is there life? It's always entertaining and it's nice to open your mind and imagine what is truly out there.

I think even religious people have the same questions and possibility that there may be other life outside of our own planet. I would hope so anyways.. you should be open-minded, even if shrouded by faith and religion.

• El_Diablo likes this

El_Diablo
  • El_Diablo

"The_Devil" ™

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Mars

Posted 27 June 2014 - 11:30 PM Edited by El_Diablo, 28 June 2014 - 02:39 AM.

I venture to assume that most religious people have the exact same questions and curiosity as we secular people do.

it's human nature.

but it's equally human nature to cling to fairy tales and security blankets and thumb-sucking for the sake of a feeling comfort, even in the face of overwhelming logic. people just want to be comfortable and ignore any serious contemplation of their mortality. I understand that. I still think they're weak pussies for not facing it, but I understand. I mean, it's not easy to accept the fact that life is largely a meaningless accident. because you'll have to remember that fact at every funeral you go to and every time a beloved pet dies. you won't get the comfort of imagining them dancing around on the clouds with angel wings and pixie dust. you'll have to go on with the knowledge that they're worm food and you're left behind.

life is meaningless.

but that's no excuse to live life without meaning.

every day you wake up and you see this world around you with people in it and stuff happening.

people who think and feel just like you do.

it's your decision how to engage this world and what to do with it. there's only one rule: life begets life.

the only real meaning to anything is procreation. life needs to keep life going. so we can actually use this knowledge to construct a real, true, moral code and ethical society. and if people are willing to simply be educated and interact with each other, that will hopefully lead to prosperity for everyone. there can be a Right and Wrong way to live life. the Right ways are those that respect and support life and allow it to flourish and grow in a way that's just and fair. the Wrong ways are those that disrespect and oppress life and make it more difficult by unfairly disadvantaging people.

and if that's the case, then we already know the answer. we see it all the time.

it might sound fruity but it's f*cking peace and love and understanding.

when you put a bunch of children together and just let them go, they don't see divisions. they don't see race or creed or color. until you start purposefully injecting their minds with artificial divisions about shallow and superficial differences, children will only see other human beings, because people naturally want to get along and work together and be kind. it's their sh*tty parents or other sh*tty influences that turn them away from this. it's not in nature.

religion is just another artificial construct of man that places yet even more unnecessary and artificial divisions between human beings that shouldn't exist.

we don't need more barriers to understanding. we need less. WAY less....

sh/t we also got off topic.

this was about aliens. thanks Carmen.

• Ari Gold likes this

Judicious 7
  • Judicious 7

Compassionate

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 28 June 2014 - 05:05 AM

sh/t we also got off topic.

this was about aliens. thanks Carmen.

You're welcome ;)

waymuu
  • waymuu

Hey Larry check this out I can change my member title

• Members
  • Martinique

Posted 08 July 2014 - 04:12 AM

I think it's ignorant to denounce the possibility of intelligent life in other galaxies and universes.

TPenterprise
  • TPenterprise

***Leader - WMCC *** ***Lieutenant - SURF***

• Members
  • None

Posted 10 July 2014 - 08:32 PM Edited by TPenterprise, 10 July 2014 - 08:35 PM.

Interesting read here:

http://www.slate.com...ery_common.html

300 billion stars in our galaxy. About 20 billion are sun-like stars. It is said that about 1 out of every 5 sun-like stars have earth-like planets orbiting them. That works out to 4 billion earth-like planets in the galaxy - yes galaxy (Milky Way). 

Now, imagine how many galaxies there  are in the universe (estimated 100billion in the observable universe.). So why would our Earth be the only planet in the universe that inhabits life? In my opinion, it is absolutely impossible that we are the only life in the universe. The thought that there is most likely other beings out there, probably millions/billions of light years away (or likely even in our own galaxy) really amazes me. What if there are super-intelegent life forms out there, or what if we are the most intelligent beings in the universe? It's something that gets your mind going.

I know there is a chance that we are alone (until proven otherwise) but mathematically, it is extremely unlikely.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users