Quantcast

» «
Photo

Do Aliens Exist?

270 replies to this topic

Poll: Does Alien Exist (298 member(s) have cast votes)

Does Alien Exist

1. Yes (166 votes [62.17%])

Percentage of vote: 62.17%

2. No (28 votes [10.49%])

Percentage of vote: 10.49%

3. Maybe (73 votes [27.34%])

Percentage of vote: 27.34%

Vote Guests cannot vote
sivispacem
  • sivispacem

Thou shalt not commit logical fallacies

• United-Kingdom

Posted 06 April 2011 - 04:06 PM

QUOTE (d0mm2k8 @ Apr 6 2011, 15:55)
QUOTE (Toup @ Apr 6 2011, 10:15)
Why does everyone imagine that they are more advanced than us? It could very well be the oposite.

If they are less advanced than us, then they won't be able to contact us.

Statistically, as less complex life-forms are more likely to evolve or be produced by atmospheric conditions and circumstances, the likelihood is that the majority of extra-terrestrial life is bacterial in nature.

Kratos2000
  • Kratos2000

;)

• Members

Posted 06 April 2011 - 04:26 PM

QUOTE (d0mm2k8 @ Apr 6 2011, 14:55)
Why does everyone imagine that they are more advanced than us? It could very well be the oposite.

We're not talking about the same technology here, same resources and the same species.
There might be even these who don't need technology to fly in space, everything is possible.

d0mm2k8
  • d0mm2k8

ad infinitum

• Leone Family Mafia

Posted 06 April 2011 - 04:30 PM

QUOTE (sivispacem @ Apr 6 2011, 17:06)
Statistically, as less complex life-forms are more likely to evolve or be produced by atmospheric conditions and circumstances, the likelihood is that the majority of extra-terrestrial life is bacterial in nature.

I know, I was just telling Toup that the people that are discussing intelligent extra-terrestrial life forms were talking in a situation of contact with them.

This again brings up a point.
People are often confused as to how life actually first appeared on this planet (I mostly see creationists using this as proof of a god) and was thinking, is it possible that life of a bacterial form inhabiting a type of space travel (asteroid?) came to Earth in that way?
Coinciding with the chance of this planet providing perfect conditions for the single cellular life form and excessive natural selection.

The only problem I see is how would the life stay alive for so long on something non atmospheric whilst travel.

There's also the theory of some kind of energy burst causing a mix of chemicals to react into life.

Anyone else know any 'beginning of life' theories? (Or would this discussion be more fit for the Evolution v Creationism topic?)

sivispacem
  • sivispacem

• United-Kingdom

Posted 06 April 2011 - 07:45 PM

QUOTE (d0mm2k8 @ Apr 6 2011, 17:30)
People are often confused as to how life actually first appeared on this planet (I mostly see creationists using this as proof of a god) and was thinking, is it possible that life of a bacterial form inhabiting a type of space travel (asteroid?) came to Earth in that way?

I'm not entirely sure of it's validity, but I believe I've read somewhere that evidence of bacteria has been found on asteroids.
Here

Toup
  • Toup

Group: Cheesedicks

• Members

Posted 06 April 2011 - 08:07 PM

I've seen a documentary in wich they say they found some kind of deathly liquid that creates cellules in a meteor.

johnny_zoo
  • johnny_zoo

Aces!

• Members
  • None

Posted 07 April 2011 - 08:59 AM

If thats true the implications of that are pretty boring, whats the point of space exploration if we are the only intelligent life forms in the universe. What exactly is the point of the space station? There's not enough exposure about what they are doing there what they hope to achieve how it relates to the average man on the street. I hate to say it but I think our space endeavours are sometimes driven purely by competition against other nations rather than working together. Isnt that what the moon landing was about?

Off topic: I notice this thread subtly turning into the creationism evolution debate can we keep this on topic Ive already grown tired of trying to explain how evolutionists are wrong. tounge.gif

Kratos2000
  • Kratos2000

;)

• Members

Posted 07 April 2011 - 10:55 AM

QUOTE (johnny_zoo @ Apr 7 2011, 08:59)

If thats true the implications of that are pretty boring, whats the point of space exploration if we are the only intelligent life forms in the universe. What exactly is the point of the space station? There's not enough exposure about what they are doing there what they hope to achieve how it relates to the average man on the street. I hate to say it but I think our space endeavours are sometimes driven purely by competition against other nations rather than working together. Isnt that what the moon landing was about?

Off topic: I notice this thread subtly turning into the creationism evolution debate can we keep this on topic Ive already grown tired of trying to explain how evolutionists are wrong. tounge.gif

Huh? Take off this line, now.
Cause I'm still nowhere near getting tired of this subejct, if you still need some common sense to get the bubble you're in.
Everyone except him, please ignore it, I have also have a question which somehow connects to our topic.

And what about this "alien" which doctors found somewhere in a lake in the US? anyone heard of it? hot did it end?

sivispacem
  • sivispacem

• United-Kingdom

Posted 07 April 2011 - 11:23 AM

QUOTE (Kratos2000 @ Apr 7 2011, 11:55)

Cause I'm still nowhere near getting tired of this subejct, if you still need some common sense to get the bubble you're in.
Everyone except him, please ignore it, I have also have a question which somehow connects to our topic.

And what about this "alien" which doctors found somewhere in a lake in the US? anyone heard of it? hot did it end?

That was a bit aggressive. Just because someone has a point of view that doesn't necessarily align with your own, doesn't mean that you can attack him personally. At least he's brought some interesting ideas to the table sarcasm.gif

As for the "alien" in a lake in the US, I have absolutely no idea what you're talking about.

@Jonny_zoo- Can you go back to the evolution topic please? Your points were much more intelligent, and much easier to understand, than GMS' are. Even if they're wrong. wink.gif

Space exploration has always been about one-upmanship. I mean, the entire space race came about because the Soviet Union and US were striving to develop intercontinental ballistic missiles. That's one of the reasons it's been much less heavily funded in recent years- because the strategic value of it is limited. Then again, competition always provides the best innovation.

Kratos2000
  • Kratos2000

;)

• Members

Posted 07 April 2011 - 11:31 AM

QUOTE (sivispacem @ Apr 7 2011, 11:23)
QUOTE (Kratos2000 @ Apr 7 2011, 11:55)

That was a bit aggressive. Just because someone has a point of view that doesn't necessarily align with your own, doesn't mean that you can attack him personally. At least he's brought some interesting ideas to the table sarcasm.gif

As for the "alien" in a lake in the US, I have absolutely no idea what you're talking about.

@Jonny_zoo- Can you go back to the evolution topic please? Your points were much more intelligent, and much easier to understand, than GMS' are. Even if they're wrong. wink.gif

Space exploration has always been about one-upmanship. I mean, the entire space race came about because the Soviet Union and US were striving to develop intercontinental ballistic missiles. That's one of the reasons it's been much less heavily funded in recent years- because the strategic value of it is limited. Then again, competition always provides the best innovation.

Well what would he expect? with this irritating line.

and for the lake alien:
http://www.tomsguide...,news-9183.html

johnny_zoo
  • johnny_zoo

Aces!

• Members
  • None

Posted 07 April 2011 - 06:33 PM

@Kratos
Im confused, which line exactly were you talking about? I think you misunderstood my last statement was about the topic direction nothing to do with alien discussion.

@sivispacem
I will go back soon, was just taking a break and too be honest it got rather complicated over the last few pages so I didnt want to reply until I understood the new theories at hand. monocle.gif

Anyway kratos I think youre in for some disappointment the chances of finding alien life is so remote not just because of supposed evolutionary problems but because of the vast distances were talking about. If present day astronomers picked up signals coming from say the andromeda galaxy they have no hope of living to find out what the reply from the aliens was as the radiowaves would take millions of light years to reach back. Humans would have probably been extinct by then.

If you really think about it the whole idea of trying to find alien signals is a rather futile and unrewarding pasttime.

The One Called Vega
  • The One Called Vega

In actuality, I'm the one called 'vinvegar'...

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 09 April 2011 - 12:20 PM

Aliens are figments of our imagination. If an alien were to exist, we would be sure to know by now. Aliens are a big movie and TV enterprise where directors and producers can use them to make a truckload of cash. Aliens have and will never exist, but the idea of them sticks around because they pop up in the media frequently.

user posted image user posted image

sivispacem
  • sivispacem

• United-Kingdom

Posted 09 April 2011 - 01:06 PM

QUOTE (StoneHead37 @ Apr 9 2011, 13:20)
If an alien were to exist, we would be sure to know by now.

How? No-one says that they need to be intelligent. In fact, they're most likely to look like this-
user posted image
Tell me, with the utter enormity of the universe as we understand it, how great a chance to you believe that bacteria has of making it to earth?

Kratos2000
  • Kratos2000

;)

• Members

Posted 09 April 2011 - 01:16 PM

I remember once, I saw a show about Steven Hocking's theories or something,
there they mentioned a "Waw" signal or something similar, I'm not sure though.

And they also said that even if we would've got a signal from any intelligent life form, due to the distance, those life forms would've caused their extinction by the time we would get their signal.

The One Called Vega
  • The One Called Vega

In actuality, I'm the one called 'vinvegar'...

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 09 April 2011 - 01:24 PM

QUOTE (sivispacem @ Apr 9 2011, 13:06)

How? No-one says that they need to be intelligent.

I never said they had to be intelligent. The fact being us humans has sent up a bunch of things up to the moon and around the galaxy and we were never successful to locate an alien.

By the way, my alien pictures are to show how aliens are used in movies. sarcasm.gif

sivispacem
  • sivispacem

• United-Kingdom

Posted 09 April 2011 - 07:31 PM

QUOTE (StoneHead37 @ Apr 9 2011, 14:24)

I never said they had to be intelligent. The fact being us humans has sent up a bunch of things up to the moon and around the galaxy and we were never successful to locate an alien.

By the way, my alien pictures are to show how aliens are used in movies. sarcasm.gif

Yes, because our galaxy is to the wider universe what a grain of sand is to the earth. So small as to be completely and utterly insignificant.
You implied that they would be capable of discovering us or vice versa, that would only be possible if either of us had perfected long-distance space travel- so enormously unlikely.

SPMovies
  • SPMovies

Street Cat

• Members

Posted 09 April 2011 - 08:01 PM

If the universe is so old and planets change there natural habitats too(With erosion etc), could there have been 1000s of species like us before in the universe? it is so old the universe, and we have been here what, 4 million years(Earliast neanderthal)

Sorry if my English is bad

Raptomex
  • Raptomex

Listen to Slayer

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 11 April 2011 - 06:42 AM

I honestly think somewhere out in the universe there's another form of intelligent life. I don't think it's in our galaxy (though you never know). The universe is so huge I have to believe there's other life out there somewhere.

Indi
  • Indi

"Party's over, kid!"

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 13 April 2011 - 06:48 AM

Yes I do think that an Alien lifeform does exist, perhaps not like you see in the movies like in E.T., Alien or in Alien Autopsy (not a widely known film, it's a comedy). But bacteria or a germ? Sure why not... the universe is a gigantic and massive place, out of all of the planets and multiple solar systems, you're telling me there's nothing? Heck even water has living things inside of it, perhaps fish? Who knows, I bet NASA already has some sort of documented files on this, I wouldn't be surprised if they've already found something but keeping it quiet.

Alien is something foreign and doesn't have to have a body structure like us and a more intelligent brain, it can be anything.

GerryM
  • GerryM

Busy

• Members

Posted 13 April 2011 - 12:09 PM

JUST TO INFORM YOU!

From that video, you and I should have the same answer. ph34r.gif

Adler
  • Adler

Hello, Smith. ( ´-`)ノ

• Leone Family Mafia

Posted 13 April 2011 - 05:05 PM

QUOTE (Indi. @ Apr 12 2011, 22:48)
Yes I do think that an Alien lifeform does exist, perhaps not like you see in the movies like in E.T., Alien or in Alien Autopsy (not a widely known film, it's a comedy). But bacteria or a germ?

Just to clarify this bacteria are considered life forms but it's just viruses that people have trouble classifying as "alive" since they require living hosts to survive and reproduce.

Indi
  • Indi

"Party's over, kid!"

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 13 April 2011 - 06:48 PM

QUOTE (Adler @ Apr 13 2011, 18:05)
QUOTE (Indi. @ Apr 12 2011, 22:48)
Yes I do think that an Alien lifeform does exist, perhaps not like you see in the movies like in E.T., Alien or in Alien Autopsy (not a widely known film, it's a comedy).  But bacteria or a germ?

Just to clarify this bacteria are considered life forms but it's just viruses that people have trouble classifying as "alive" since they require living hosts to survive and reproduce.

Well there you go, they do exist; and I do think that a body structural Alien like us exist too.

@GerryM: Interesting video, kind of intimidating too me. I think something's gonna happen soon, not very soon, but soon. Like the Roswell incident in 1947.

Sam998
  • Sam998

Banned

• BUSTED!

Posted 21 April 2011 - 05:18 PM

I think we all know Alien exists. See?

Girish
  • Girish

• India

Posted 21 April 2011 - 05:57 PM

QUOTE (Sam998 @ Apr 21 2011, 22:48)
I think we all know Alien exists. See?

I'm sorry, but you must be confusing this forum with Gen Chat. At least, put in some effort to make a substantial point, if you have one.

On the topic of life forms, for me, even the existence of a plant/tree (or whatever it may be called over there) on a planet is enough to indicate that we're not alone. They are living things after all and require a specific atmosphere to grow in. If such an atmosphere can host plants, then there's an equal chance it can host other types of life forms too.

sonnyBlack
  • sonnyBlack

Rest your trigger on my finger

• Members

Posted 21 April 2011 - 10:11 PM

QUOTE (StoneHead37 @ Apr 9 2011, 09:24)

One thing to understand is it doesn't just end with our galaxy. Outside of our galaxy are over 100 billion others just like it. Even if we are the only life in our galaxy, which even that I find to be improbable as it's so big in itself there has to be a high chance at another planet at least having some bacteria on it somewhere. Anyway there's so many other galaxies there's billions even trillions of potential for life out there.

But I think you may have meant solar system instead of galaxy.

kmlwin.1996
  • kmlwin.1996

Hold up™

• BUSTED!

Posted 27 April 2011 - 11:55 AM

As the lives exist on earth, there must be many Aliens around the universe.

mayday123456
  • mayday123456

Do you have some bricks or a sledge hammer handy 2Worst thing yo

• Members

Posted 08 May 2011 - 07:38 AM

I dont believe in all those Aliens will soon take over the earth theories I just believe that somewhere in the never ending time of space theres got to be something living.

I mean take a think about this millions of galaxy's away there could be more humans but in a different time.

And for all those believers of there being no other life in the Never Ending Space your all stupid because out of something sooooo big theres got to be something else living out there

Germturtle
  • Germturtle

Big Lee Marvin Fan

• Members

Posted 08 May 2011 - 10:12 AM

QUOTE (StoneHead37 @ Apr 9 2011, 12:20)
Aliens are figments of our imagination. If an alien were to exist, we would be sure to know by now. Aliens are a big movie and TV enterprise where directors and producers can use them to make a truckload of cash. Aliens have and will never exist, but the idea of them sticks around because they pop up in the media frequently.

user posted image user posted image

I hate it when people say that if they existed we would know by now, simple fact is that we have always thought that we know all, look at ancient times when it was thought that sickness was caused by evil spirits, or at the end of WWII when asbestos was viewed as a wonder material.

I wont say that they exist or not until if have proof, because I don't definitely know the answer.
I do think that it's more likely than not that we are not alone.

NaidRaida
  • NaidRaida

Inactive user

• Members

Posted 17 May 2011 - 06:48 PM Edited by NaidRaida, 17 May 2011 - 06:51 PM.

I believe! biggrin.gif
I hope there is something out there. But not a monster, something friendly. That would be cool. But if we know it, I think it wouldn´t change anything in our lifes (only if we could benefit from their standad of technic somehow).

1st gtaROCKER
  • 1st gtaROCKER

PROTOCOL 2 - Admin

• BUSTED!

Posted 19 May 2011 - 08:35 PM

Aliens definately exist. /thread

You can punch me for this post, if you want to.

rocketalypse
  • rocketalypse

DYOM User and Mission Designer

• BUSTED!

Posted 01 July 2011 - 11:05 PM

An universe is big! If there is a life on earth, I don't see a reason why there won't be life out of earth. So, YES!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users