Quantcast

» «
Photo

Do Aliens Exist?

253 replies to this topic

Poll: Does Alien Exist (282 member(s) have cast votes)

Does Alien Exist

1. Yes (156 votes [62.15%])

Percentage of vote: 62.15%

2. No (27 votes [10.76%])

Percentage of vote: 10.76%

3. Maybe (68 votes [27.09%])

Percentage of vote: 27.09%

Vote Guests cannot vote
nerner
  • nerner

OG

• BUSTED!

Posted 04 December 2010 - 04:29 PM Edited by nerner, 04 December 2010 - 04:40 PM.

QUOTE (Jimmy_Leppard @ Dec 4 2010, 16:08)
That doesn't impress me. I don't think God created aliens...Just because there are 100,000,000,000 stars per galaxy doesn't mean that they consist any type of life..And you can't compare business to existace of aliens, dude. Sorry.

Lets not make this an argument about God mate. I don't want to impress you, I want to make you see how improbable your argument is when it is faced by statistics which are accepted as facts.

And I wasn't comparing business to the existence of aliens. I was merely comparing the probabilities involved. Did you even read my post?

I'll explain, the more people are in the market for a particular product, the more people my new company could sell to. 10 billion people makes it more likely that more people would buy my products than if there were only 100 million people in the world. The fact that there are 10 billion planets which could harbour life makes it great odds that extraterrestrial life exists somewhere. The potential for extraterrestrial life is greatly similiar to the potential sales which a business could make.

Need I say that 10 billion is a very conservative estimate since we don't know how many planets there are in the universe.

Jimmy_Leppard
  • Jimmy_Leppard

DYOM mission designer/user

• Members

Posted 04 December 2010 - 04:34 PM

QUOTE (nerner @ Dec 4 2010, 16:29)
That doesn't impress me. I don't think God created aliens...Just because there are 100,000,000,000 stars per galaxy doesn't mean that they consist any type of life..And you can't compare business to existace of aliens, dude. Sorry.

Lets not make this an argument about God mate. I don't want to impress you, I want to make you see how improbable your argument is when it is faced by statistics which are accepted as facts.

And I wasn't comparing business to the existence of aliens. I was merely comparing the probabilities involved. Did you even read my post?

You don't believe in God?

dog_day_sunrise
  • dog_day_sunrise

GTAF's Resident Niggling Pedant

• Members

Posted 04 December 2010 - 04:39 PM

QUOTE (Jimmy_Leppard @ Dec 4 2010, 13:07)
I didn't say I was right, I said my opinion. I said that there is proof of neither so the chances are 50:50. Maybe there is alien life in space but I don't believe in it. I'm not the only one who thinks this way so...

That's not actually true. You don't need any evidence to slew the odds, if you can logically demonstrate that the likelihood of them existing is higher than them not existing.

Take this as an example:
You can reasonably definitively say that unicorns do not currently exist, as the majority of the earth's land surface has been explored by humans at some time or another, and no real reports of them have been made. That doesn't mean that they don't exist nesseserily, but as significant explaination has failed to demostrate their existance, the chance of them existing is therefore reduces.

The opposite is true of beings elsewhere in the universe. The likelihood of them existing, logically, is quite high due to what little science we understand regarding the evolution of life combined with the sheer size of the known universe, and probable size of the unknown (ignoring ideas like multiple universe theory in which alien life is certain to exist, as there is scope for an infinite number of universes and therefore an infinite probability of foreign life existing), it's reasonable to assume that somewhere, life does exist- pure numbers.

Just because you have two options does not mean that the chance of either being true is 50%.

Oh, and you come across as a bit of a child. I've never met an adult who refers to everyone as "dude" every time they post.
Dude.

nerner
  • nerner

OG

• BUSTED!

Posted 04 December 2010 - 04:44 PM

QUOTE (Jimmy_Leppard @ Dec 4 2010, 16:34)

That question is unnecessary and superfluous to the general focus of the debate. If this were a debate about religion then maybe I'd impart my views on God to you, but since this is about aliens and whether or not they exist I'm not going to bother.

In my eyes it looks like you feel that you have lost the argument but you wish to divert attention away from yourself by attempting to change the focus of the debate entirely. Instead of admitting defeat you are trying to turn this from a statistics based debate into a theological one.

Jimmy_Leppard
  • Jimmy_Leppard

• Members

Posted 04 December 2010 - 05:32 PM

QUOTE (nerner @ Dec 4 2010, 16:44)
QUOTE (Jimmy_Leppard @ Dec 4 2010, 16:34)

That question is unnecessary and superfluous to the general focus of the debate. If this were a debate about religion then maybe I'd impart my views on God to you, but since this is about aliens and whether or not they exist I'm not going to bother.

In my eyes it looks like you feel that you have lost the argument but you wish to divert attention away from yourself by attempting to change the focus of the debate entirely. Instead of admitting defeat you are trying to turn this from a statistics based debate into a theological one.

How can I lost an argument? No one has ever seen any new or abnormal life form that came to Earth from another planet. No matter what you say, I don't accept that they exist. Don't even try to convince me. I'm not trying to convince you that they don't exist so please...When aliens come to Earth, then you'll be right. Otherwise, I don't take the crap that aliens exist but we'll never see them. So what's the point? You can tell that anything exists if you're gonna put it that way. For example: Space is endless/infinite but because of 100,000,000,000 stars in each galaxy there is a posibility that a giant cookie monster exists but we'll never see him cause of the huge space and because he is so far away from us. It's bullsh*t.

dog_day_sunrise
  • dog_day_sunrise

• Members

Posted 04 December 2010 - 06:11 PM

QUOTE (Jimmy_Leppard @ Dec 4 2010, 17:32)
How can I lost an argument? No one has ever seen any new or abnormal life form that came to Earth from another planet. No matter what you say, I don't accept that they exist. Don't even try to convince me. I'm not trying to convince you that they don't exist so please...When aliens come to Earth, then you'll be right. Otherwise, I don't take the crap that aliens exist but we'll never see them. So what's the point? You can tell that anything exists if you're gonna put it that way. For example: Space is endless/infinite but because of 100,000,000,000 stars in each galaxy there is a posibility that a giant cookie monster exists but we'll never see him cause of the huge space and because he is so far away from us. It's bullsh*t.

You fail to see the difference between belief in a divine higher power and the potential existence of alien life.

Yes, there is a possibility of a higher power or creator existing. However, as we have no understanding or knowledge of what would be required to create or maintain said higher power, have seen no evidence suggesting it's existence and cannot tangibly understand the concept of a being greater than ourselves as it is beyond the human understanding, which is based on experience and knowledge, we cannot definitively say whether one exists or not.

However, as we do have an understanding of the mechanics of the creation of life, the size of the universe (to at least some degree) and the probabilities and mathamatics involved in the creation of life, we can tangibly make an assessment on whether other being live. We understand what living creatures are and have a vague understanding of the conditions that are required to create them, and though the chances of it happening are miniscule, the universe is intangibly large which therefore increases the odds to a level at which it is possible to make an estimation.

Neither can be proven with our current understanding. But neither can be discounted either. And in terms of cold logic, based on our current understanding of biology, chemistry, and astrophysics, the existence of other living creatures outside our own planet is reasonably likely. That's not a guarentee that they're anything more than bacteria, it doesn't mean that they'll come and visit us, or even we'll ever find them. It's just logic.

You have, as previously mentioned, essentially lost the argument by completely missing the point.

Jimmy_Leppard
  • Jimmy_Leppard

• Members

Posted 04 December 2010 - 06:25 PM

QUOTE (dog_day_sunrise @ Dec 4 2010, 18:11)
You have, as previously mentioned, essentially lost the argument by completely missing the point.

Yea, whatever man. The guy who opened this thread said to write our own opinions. I wrote it. It's your problem if you can't accept that I can accept that there are no aliens or any other beings in that infinite universe. I didn't want to make this a fight or attack anyone...And I'm not as stupid as you and him think I am. I understand the thread and what you're saying but as I said, sorry pal, I can't agree with you on that one. Neither of us can prove that aliens exist or don't exist. If you think that because of the numbers they exist, ok. No problem. I don't. That's it.

No hard feelings. Keep it cool, guys.

dog_day_sunrise
  • dog_day_sunrise

• Members

Posted 04 December 2010 - 08:14 PM

QUOTE (Jimmy_Leppard @ Dec 4 2010, 18:25)
QUOTE (dog_day_sunrise @ Dec 4 2010, 18:11)

Yea, whatever man. The guy who opened this thread said to write our own opinions. I wrote it. It's your problem if you can't accept that I can accept that there are no aliens or any other beings in that infinite universe. I didn't want to make this a fight or attack anyone...And I'm not as stupid as you and him think I am. I understand the thread and what you're saying but as I said, sorry pal, I can't agree with you on that one. Neither of us can prove that aliens exist or don't exist. If you think that because of the numbers they exist, ok. No problem. I don't. That's it.

No hard feelings. Keep it cool, guys.

Look I'm not discussing you're opinion, I'm discussing fact.

I don't care whether or not you think aliens exist, you're entitled to whatever opinion you want, no matter how absurd or misinformed. I was merely stating facts regarding the likelihood of aliens existing being theoretically higher than them not. If you have read any more into that, it's your own problem, not mine.

Have I ever, anywhere, said "aliens exist"? No, I haven't. I've just said that statistically they're more likely to exist than to not. Which is a fact. And refuted your comparison with the belief in a higher power. Which is using factual evidence to dispute a spurious claim.

GrandMaster Smith
  • GrandMaster Smith

• Members
  • None

Posted 05 December 2010 - 12:25 PM

QUOTE (dog_day_sunrise @ Dec 3 2010, 06:14)
QUOTE (goin-god @ Dec 3 2010, 13:58)
QUOTE (Gundog @ Oct 25 2010, 21:59)
The Universe is eternally large. It has no end. And we, humans, and the planet Earth, are such a small fraction of it, it's incalculable.

Basically, imagine if the universe was the size of our Earth. Our galaxy wouldn't even be a dust speck.

What are the odds of intelligent life NOT being out there?

Unless you have something to back up your theory, the Universe is not infinit according to nowadays theories.

Not infinite no, unless you could multiple universe theory which is reasonably probable.
In all probability other living creatures outside of our planet do exist. However:

1) It's likely that they are nothing like how we imagine them. Fluctuations in living environment would create drastically different beings.
2) Due to the sheer size of the known universe, let alone the unknown, it's equally as likely that we'll never find them or any evidence of them

The multiple universe theory makes me laugh. It's a real neat idea, its just there's no actual evidence that it exists, yet so many scientists tend to follow the idea.. and all it does it push the question of where we came from back ever farther meaning we'd have to be able to study something we can't prove exists to findout where we came from, which would be impossible.

But I would actually imagine if we were to find alien lifeforms for them to be nearly identical to lifeforms you'd find on earth. I mean there's quite a few strict rules to apply to make life sustainable on a planet and if they have to nearly match that of earths then I would think the animals would be quite alike the ones here. And besides if you just look at the wide variation of species we already have here, land air and sea, there's not a whole lot more for them to cover that isn't already out there.

dog_day_sunrise
  • dog_day_sunrise

• Members

Posted 05 December 2010 - 12:52 PM

QUOTE (GrandMaster Smith @ Dec 5 2010, 12:25)
The multiple universe theory makes me laugh. It's a real neat idea, its just there's no actual evidence that it exists, yet so many scientists tend to follow the idea.. and all it does it push the question of where we came from back ever farther meaning we'd have to be able to study something we can't prove exists to findout where we came from, which would be impossible.

There's no real tangible proof of the existence of any other universe, true. But logic and odds dictate that this universe cannot be the only one. For example, what exists outside this universe, if you agree with the established theory that it isn't infinite, just really freaking huge?

Many scientific theories aren't completely provable or disprovable. Relitivity, for example. Or gravity. For something to be denfinitively proven, it needs to be tested in every possible circumstance imaginable. Which is impossible. However, based on our experience of the universe as we have been able to understand it, it's reasonable to make the statement "there is a significant probability of other universes existning".

What I don't understand it how, to the minds of many people on this forum, that means "oh I'm saying your wrong and this MUST be the case". It's f*cking stupid to mistake statements of truth for those of theory.

GrandMaster Smith
  • GrandMaster Smith

• Members
  • None

Posted 06 December 2010 - 04:51 AM

QUOTE (dog_day_sunrise @ Dec 5 2010, 04:52)
QUOTE (GrandMaster Smith @ Dec 5 2010, 12:25)

There's no real tangible proof of the existence of any other universe, true. But logic and odds dictate that this universe cannot be the only one. For example, what exists outside this universe, if you agree with the established theory that it isn't infinite, just really freaking huge?

Many scientific theories aren't completely provable or disprovable. Relitivity, for example. Or gravity. For something to be denfinitively proven, it needs to be tested in every possible circumstance imaginable. Which is impossible. However, based on our experience of the universe as we have been able to understand it, it's reasonable to make the statement "there is a significant probability of other universes existning".

What I don't understand it how, to the minds of many people on this forum, that means "oh I'm saying your wrong and this MUST be the case". It's f*cking stupid to mistake statements of truth for those of theory.

Oh it wasn't any sort of attack towards you or anything, I was just simply stating my opinion on it. Like scientists will believe in the M theory, yet will deny the existence that any sort of creator set things up the way they are, even though nature is filled with overwhelming evidence of design which I would personally believe over a book filled page after page of math equations, but thats just me and this topic isn't about whether a god exists or not so I'll just stay away from that lol.

But on topic, with Nasa's new discovery with how life could sustain itself with arsenic which completely rewrites how life could've came about, meaning who knows what sort of alien lifeforms could be out there and what other things are possible that we haven't discovered yet catspider.gif It really is mind-boggling to think what there is left for us to discover in such an enormous universe, we're not even a speck of dust compared to whats our there.

GTA3Betalover
  • GTA3Betalover

Shut up sit down relax.

• BUSTED!

Posted 06 December 2010 - 06:16 AM

Maybe alien.gif

Prasdana
  • Prasdana

Mickey Hennigan, Jimmy Toreno, The Last Protagonist will rule t

• Members

Posted 16 December 2010 - 12:49 PM

I think Humans from long time ago just had an imagination but I want to see Aliens but I don't think we can't but who knows?

Tyler
  • Tyler

time is a flat circle

• Unknown

Posted 16 December 2010 - 02:09 PM

You bring up a valid point that still matters to this very day. Humanity is known for making fables and folk tales, yet we take the art depicting ancient UFOs and aliens as hard fact. The simple matter is that they could just be an image portrayed in our collective memory.

DOOM!
  • DOOM!

yessir

• The Connection
  • United-States

Posted 16 December 2010 - 06:05 PM

QUOTE (Unoriginal44 @ Dec 16 2010, 14:09)
You bring up a valid point that still matters to this very day. Humanity is known for making fables and folk tales, yet we take the art depicting ancient UFOs and aliens as hard fact. The simple matter is that they could just be an image portrayed in our collective memory.

I love Ancient Aliens, bad ass show... that show has actually made me even a bigger believer in Aliens who have visited us in the past and have been depicted as something else, ie mythology gods or even Jesus Christ. Sounds really f*cking obessive and wierd but the puzzles just kinda come together for me.

It's just hard to imagine something not exsisting on some planet some where.

Claude Speed.
  • Claude Speed.

I'm still around...

• BUSTED!

Posted 20 December 2010 - 12:45 PM Edited by Claude Speed., 20 December 2010 - 12:47 PM.

I don't think there's any point in explaining something to biased people, not to mention to a person that disrespects gay people and a hypocrite.

dog_day_sunrise
  • dog_day_sunrise

• Members

Posted 20 December 2010 - 01:06 PM

QUOTE (Claude Speed. @ Dec 20 2010, 12:45)
I don't think there's any point in explaining something to biased people, not to mention to a person that disrespects gay people and a hypocrite.

Cross topic irony for the win. wink.gif

pauliux2
  • pauliux2

Homie

• Members

Posted 09 January 2011 - 06:51 PM

Until i dont see em,i dont believe em. I dont know,or do i believe them,or not.

AlfieWilRus
  • AlfieWilRus

I don't know what this is

• Members

Posted 12 February 2011 - 03:26 AM

The universe is infinite so I do think there might be life out there. What I mean by life are mostly like single cell animals. Not the sh*t you see movies.

TDP992
  • TDP992

weed purple like a lakers away jersey

• Members

Posted 14 February 2011 - 03:01 AM

In all honestly I think it's retarded to think of all the billions and trillions of planets, we're the only one with life... And saying you don't believe god created aliens, then why the hell would he create such a huge universe with tons of solar systems just for one little planet to have life. Lol.

It's very possible that they might have even visited ancient civilizations here on earth. How were the pyramids built? How did the Sumerians have a tablet showing all the planets in the solar system? Interesting stuff. Either ancient people had some technologies that blows our modern technology away to build something like the great pyramids, or aliens came here and did some crazy star mapping sh*t on earth.

Der_Don
  • Der_Don

#FreeShinji

• Members

Posted 14 February 2011 - 06:34 PM

QUOTE (TDP992 @ Feb 14 2011, 04:01)
In all honestly I think it's retarded to think of all the billions and trillions of planets, we're the only one with life... And saying you don't believe god created aliens, then why the hell would he create such a huge universe with tons of solar systems just for one little planet to have life. Lol.

Well, you know that God didn't create any planet at all, right? The Big Bang led to the formation of the universe.

Hitman843
  • Hitman843

Hitman

• Members

Posted 14 February 2011 - 06:52 PM

There are aliens here on earth

Josh
  • Josh

Animal Nitrate

• Leone Family Mafia
  • None

Posted 14 February 2011 - 06:58 PM

QUOTE (Hitman843 @ Feb 14 2011, 18:52)

Care to elaborate?

@Der_Don: Have you ever heard of the "Uncaused Cause Theory" put forward by Aristotle which forms the basis of one of the more widely acepted arguments for the existence of a God (The Cosmological Argument)?

Der_Don
  • Der_Don

#FreeShinji

• Members

Posted 14 February 2011 - 07:33 PM

QUOTE (Josh @ Feb 14 2011, 19:58)
QUOTE (Hitman843 @ Feb 14 2011, 18:52)

Care to elaborate?

@Der_Don: Have you ever heard of the "Uncaused Cause Theory" put forward by Aristotle which forms the basis of one of the more widely acepted arguments for the existence of a God (The Cosmological Argument)?

Yes, I have.
But I don't believe in it.

The-Prince
  • The-Prince

Street Cat

• Members

Posted 14 February 2011 - 08:44 PM

UFO's are USA secret weapons, Area 51 is secret base of secret weapons
there is no such thing as aliens

d0mm2k8
  • d0mm2k8

ad infinitum

• Leone Family Mafia

Posted 14 February 2011 - 08:54 PM

QUOTE (The-Prince @ Feb 14 2011, 21:44)
UFO's are USA secret weapons, Area 51 is secret base of secret weapons
there is no such thing as aliens

So you refuse to believe that, even though space is so huge that it's theoretically infinite, that life has failed to form on a planet other than ours?
Or do you just think they haven't contacted us (which I'm obliged to agree with)?

The-Prince
  • The-Prince

Street Cat

• Members

Posted 14 February 2011 - 09:12 PM Edited by The-Prince, 14 February 2011 - 09:47 PM.

i was an Alien and ufo fanatique like you, X-Files still my best serie tounge.gif
i'm muslim, god said that he created Human and jinn, that's it.

you must know that USA plays the game with us, they wan't you to think it's UFO or aliens to hide the reality of secret weapons.
+ it was Nazis who had the first flying saucer, after nazis fall in 1945, USA and URSS took their projects, plans and scientistes. till now, it is Top Secret cool.gif

you are not obliged to agree, its my point of view

Struff Bunstridge
  • Struff Bunstridge

...loading...

• Members

Posted 14 February 2011 - 10:19 PM

That's not a point of view; you stated "facts", not opinions. Can you provide any evidence, or did you hear someone say it once and thought it sounded cool? Go ahead and provide some sources for what you're saying.

Also, I'm interested that you used to be a UFO fanatic, and now you're not - I'm assuming you weren't raised into Islam, but that you adopted it yourself? Were you Muslim when you still believed in aliens?

The-Prince
  • The-Prince

Street Cat

• Members

Posted 14 February 2011 - 10:29 PM

QUOTE (Struff Bunstridge @ Feb 14 2011, 22:19)
Also, I'm interested that you used to be a UFO fanatic, and now you're not - I'm assuming you weren't raised into Islam, but that you adopted it yourself? Were you Muslim when you still believed in aliens?

when i said that, i was talking about me when i had 14 years, and now i'm 20 years old -__-"

Struff Bunstridge
  • Struff Bunstridge

...loading...

• Members

Posted 15 February 2011 - 01:14 AM

So, what changed? You seem to be implying that belief in aliens is childish.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users