Quantcast

» «
Photo

Do Aliens Exist?

271 replies to this topic

Poll: Does Alien Exist (301 member(s) have cast votes)

Does Alien Exist

1. Yes (168 votes [62.22%])

Percentage of vote: 62.22%

2. No (28 votes [10.37%])

Percentage of vote: 10.37%

3. Maybe (74 votes [27.41%])

Percentage of vote: 27.41%

Vote Guests cannot vote
PHCharls
  • PHCharls

• Members

Posted 20 October 2010 - 02:01 PM

many news keep telling about Aliens went here by UFO.IS this true or false

Whats your opinion?

Tyler
  • Tyler

[rain]

• Unknown

Posted 20 October 2010 - 05:43 PM

This section of the forum is based on well-educated debates, on serious matters of belief and thought. I am going to guess from your post that you didn't even consider actually putting any effort into this topic, but you need to show your opinion on the subject from now on. It not only give us an insight as to what your specific thoughts are, but also gives us an opinion to draw from, or conflict against.

As for your question, they more than likely exist in this Universe.

E.A.B.
  • E.A.B.

Group: Leone Mafia Family

• Members

Posted 21 October 2010 - 04:51 AM

No, they're all dead

user posted image

YoungFresh
  • YoungFresh

Auch, sir, my head is blowing up.

• BUSTED!

Posted 23 October 2010 - 06:13 PM

In case that you might be dumb, no, there's no alien.
So yes, the Universe is such an infinite hole, so I doubt there's only us.

lloydo
  • lloydo

Count

• Members
  • None

Posted 24 October 2010 - 03:33 PM

There's a possibility that there aren't any.

gta9414
  • gta9414

Prankster

• Members

Posted 26 October 2010 - 12:16 AM

the universe is so massive, the chances of something else not being out there is very slim

Gundog
  • Gundog

EnTrance

• Andolini Mafia Family

Posted 26 October 2010 - 12:59 AM

The Universe is eternally large. It has no end. And we, humans, and the planet Earth, are such a small fraction of it, it's incalculable.

Basically, imagine if the universe was the size of our Earth. Our galaxy wouldn't even be a dust speck.

What are the odds of intelligent life NOT being out there?

QwertyAAA
  • QwertyAAA

Ceci n'est pas une pipe, c'est le logo de Rockstar

• Members

Posted 03 November 2010 - 04:26 AM

QUOTE (Gundog @ Oct 25 2010, 19:59)
The Universe is eternally large. It has no end. And we, humans, and the planet Earth, are such a small fraction of it, it's incalculable.

Basically, imagine if the universe was the size of our Earth. Our galaxy wouldn't even be a dust speck.

What are the odds of us never discovering any alien lifeforms in an infinite universe and coming to no conclusions about the odds?

lloydo
  • lloydo

Count

• Members
  • None

Posted 04 November 2010 - 05:47 PM

There's not enough evidence to deem that there is or is not life out there. There could be life because the universe is so large, or there can't be life because life on Earth only came about due to special initiating cirumstances. Either way we'll probably find out in the next 50 years, or not. lol.gif

Ziggy455
  • Ziggy455

I'm the writer.

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 02 December 2010 - 11:25 PM

Alienz duz ecksist!

How we would know?

Really?

GrandMaster Smith
  • GrandMaster Smith

• Members
  • None

Posted 03 December 2010 - 12:51 AM

Its hard to imagine what really out there. If we really are here without purpose and life just randomly pops up where its best fitted, then yes there is definitely other lifeforms out there no doubt.

If we are here due to an intelligent designer and humans do serve a purpose, then no I doubt there's life out there and therefore I would believe mans purpose is to fill the universe.

It really just depends on how you perceive our world, and there is no basis to say whether or not there is life out until it is proven so there so all this topic can turn out to be is some flamewar on who's right and who's shrong

QwertyAAA
  • QwertyAAA

Ceci n'est pas une pipe, c'est le logo de Rockstar

• Members

Posted 03 December 2010 - 01:48 PM

Never mind.

coin-god
  • coin-god

High Roller

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 03 December 2010 - 01:58 PM

QUOTE (Gundog @ Oct 25 2010, 21:59)

Unless you have something to back up your theory, the Universe is not infinit according to nowadays theories.

dog_day_sunrise
  • dog_day_sunrise

GTAF's Resident Niggling Pedant

• Members

Posted 03 December 2010 - 02:14 PM

QUOTE (goin-god @ Dec 3 2010, 13:58)
QUOTE (Gundog @ Oct 25 2010, 21:59)

Unless you have something to back up your theory, the Universe is not infinit according to nowadays theories.

Not infinite no, unless you could multiple universe theory which is reasonably probable.
In all probability other living creatures outside of our planet do exist. However:

1) It's likely that they are nothing like how we imagine them. Fluctuations in living environment would create drastically different beings.
2) Due to the sheer size of the known universe, let alone the unknown, it's equally as likely that we'll never find them or any evidence of them

Jimmy_Leppard
  • Jimmy_Leppard

DYOM mission designer/user

• Members

Posted 03 December 2010 - 03:20 PM

How can you tell that there is or there isn't alien life in space?

nerner
  • nerner

OG

• BUSTED!

Posted 03 December 2010 - 06:38 PM

QUOTE (Jimmy_Leppard @ Dec 3 2010, 15:20)

Probability says that there are other beings. Common sense says that we'll probably never see them.

Jimmy_Leppard
  • Jimmy_Leppard

• Members

Posted 03 December 2010 - 06:42 PM

QUOTE (nerner @ Dec 3 2010, 18:38)

Probability says that there are other beings. Common sense says that we'll probably never see them.

Exactly. So only thing we can do is that we can guess. The funny thing is that we'll probably never know which answer is correct.

Tyler
  • Tyler

[rain]

• Unknown

Posted 04 December 2010 - 03:26 AM

QUOTE (Jimmy_Leppard @ Dec 3 2010, 12:42)

Exactly. So only thing we can do is that we can guess. The funny thing is that we'll probably never know which answer is correct.

How the hell is that funny? You've been watching too much off-humour pseudo-philosophical bullsh*t. Is the answer to the universe 23?

Jimmy_Leppard
  • Jimmy_Leppard

• Members

Posted 04 December 2010 - 08:35 AM

QUOTE (Unoriginal44 @ Dec 4 2010, 03:26)

How the hell is that funny? You've been watching too much off-humour pseudo-philosophical bullsh*t. Is the answer to the universe 23?

You know why is that funny? Because you all make yourself sooo smart talking about how alien doesn't exist or aliens does exist and you have no f*cking evidece to prove it. So in my eyes, that is funny cause you look stupid by talking that there are or there aren't aliens in the space. And that brings it just to what I said: A guess. I want to see something happen. I want to see the proof.

The-King
  • The-King

[Rekt Intensifies]

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 04 December 2010 - 09:31 AM

QUOTE (Jimmy_Leppard @ Dec 4 2010, 02:35)

You know why is that funny? Because you all make yourself sooo smart talking about how alien doesn't exist or aliens does exist and you have no f*cking evidece to prove it. So in my eyes, that is funny cause you look stupid by talking that there are or there aren't aliens in the space. And that brings it just to what I said: A guess. I want to see something happen. I want to see the proof.

A fifteen year old not understanding the premise behind a hypothetical discussion and instead getting angry? Well I never!

Granted, this topic didn't exactly start in the most eloquent of fashions.

Jimmy_Leppard
  • Jimmy_Leppard

• Members

Posted 04 December 2010 - 09:33 AM

QUOTE (The-King @ Dec 4 2010, 09:31)

A fifteen year old not understanding the premise behind a hypothetical discussion and instead getting angry? Well I never!

Actually, I'm not 15 dude.. biggrin.gif

nerner
  • nerner

OG

• BUSTED!

Posted 04 December 2010 - 12:35 PM

QUOTE (Jimmy_Leppard @ Dec 4 2010, 09:33)
QUOTE (The-King @ Dec 4 2010, 09:31)

Actually, I'm not 15 dude.. biggrin.gif

I couldn't give two sh*ts about how old you are mate. What matters is that you completely misunderstood the post which I made back there. Probability states that alien life is there. However probability also says that it will be unlikely that we will ever see it or that it will conform to our traditional perceptions of what an "alien" will look like.

I bet you're one of those kids who hangs around in the religion topics proclaiming to be an agnostic aren't you.

Jimmy_Leppard
  • Jimmy_Leppard

• Members

Posted 04 December 2010 - 12:45 PM

QUOTE (nerner @ Dec 4 2010, 12:35)
I couldn't give two sh*ts about how old you are mate. What matters is that you completely misunderstood the post which I made back there. Probability states that alien life is there. However probability also says that it will be unlikely that we will ever see it or that it will conform to our traditional perceptions of what an "alien" will look like.

I bet you're one of those kids who hangs around in the religion topics proclaiming to be an agnostic aren't you.

I'm not actually a kid, dude.. That's the first thing. The second thing is, well, I don't give a sh*t about probability. It's one of those things like: Is the glass half full or half emtpy? It's just the way you look at it. The chances are 50:50 that there is alien life in the universe and that there isn't. Now, if you made this topic you must accept that people have different points of view, different thinking about stuff. So, I suggest you to accept my point of view - we are the only living creatures in the universe. No matter how badly you or any one else think and say that there are aliens in space, it won't change my point of view. Do you got that, buddy? End of discussion.

Struff Bunstridge
  • Struff Bunstridge

...loading...

• Members

Posted 04 December 2010 - 12:58 PM Edited by Struff Bunstridge, 04 December 2010 - 01:01 PM.

QUOTE (Jimmy_Leppard @ Dec 4 2010, 12:45)

I'm not actually a kid, dude.. That's the first thing. The second thing is, well, I don't give a sh*t about probability. It's one of those things like: Is the glass half full or half emtpy? It's just the way you look at it. The chances are 50:50 that there is alien life in the universe and that there isn't. Now, if you made this topic you must accept that people have different points of view, different thinking about stuff. So, I suggest you to accept my point of view - we are the only living creatures in the universe. No matter how badly you or any one else think and say that there are aliens in space, it won't change my point of view. Do you got that, buddy? End of discussion.

No.

Probability isn't subjective. It has nothing to do with worldview, or mindset, or "the way you look at it". It's mathematics. With no other variables, the chances of me rolling a six are always the same.

Sure, you're entitled to your opinion, but what nerner's quite rightly saying is that you are extremely unlikely to be correct; since the universe is large enough as to be reasonably defined as infinite (until someone definitively says otherwise), probability dictates that the conditions necessary for life similar to our own to evolve have been replicated elsewhere, and therefore there's a good chance life exists away from this planet.

This is, of course, to say nothing of life dissimilar to our own.

This forum's called Debates & Discussion - please use it to debate and discuss, not state your case and then proclaim yourself to be automatically correct. What's your basis for saying there's no life anywhere else? Given that your disrespect list contains "gay people", I can probably guess which angle you'll use, but humour me.

Edit: Incidentally, I'm willing to accept that you know lttle about probability, given that you think aliens vs no aliens is a straight 50/50 shot.

Jimmy_Leppard
  • Jimmy_Leppard

• Members

Posted 04 December 2010 - 01:07 PM

QUOTE (Struff Bunstridge @ Dec 4 2010, 12:58)
QUOTE (Jimmy_Leppard @ Dec 4 2010, 12:45)

No.

Probability isn't subjective. It has nothing to do with worldview, or mindset, or "the way you look at it". It's mathematics. With no other variables, the chances of me rolling a six are always the same.

Sure, you're entitled to your opinion, but what nerner's quite rightly saying is that you are extremely unlikely to be correct; since the universe is large enough as to be reasonably defined as infinite (until someone definitively says otherwise), probability dictates that the conditions necessary for life similar to our own to evolve have been replicated elsewhere, and therefore there's a good chance life exists away from this planet.

This is, of course, to say nothing of life dissimilar to our own.

This forum's called Debates & Discussion - please use it to debate and discuss, not state your case and then proclaim yourself to be automatically correct. What's your basis for saying there's no life anywhere else? Given that your disrespect list contains "gay people", I can probably guess which angle you'll use, but humour me.

Edit: Incidentally, I'm willing to accept that you know lttle about probability, given that you think aliens vs no aliens is a straight 50/50 shot.

I didn't say I was right, I said my opinion. I said that there is proof of neither so the chances are 50:50. Maybe there is alien life in space but I don't believe in it. I'm not the only one who thinks this way so...

Tyler
  • Tyler

[rain]

• Unknown

Posted 04 December 2010 - 01:35 PM

Looking at the equation scientifically, it's not 50:50 at all. It's much more complicated, and I'm pretty sure you don't have the slightest idea on what exactly goes into a ratio like that. Keep the discussion to serious well thought out debate, like Struff said.

nerner
  • nerner

OG

• BUSTED!

Posted 04 December 2010 - 03:04 PM

Here is an excerpt showing why it's nowhere near 50:50.

1) The number of galaxies. An estimated 50 billion galaxies are visible with modern telescopes and the total number in the universe must surely exceed this number by a huge factor, but we will be conservative and simply double it. That's 100,000,000,000 galaxies in the universe.

2) The number of stars in an average galaxy. As many as hundreds of billions in each galaxy.

Lets call it just 100 billion.

That's 100,000,000,000 stars per galaxy.

3)The number of stars in the universe.

So the total number of stars in the universe is roughly 100 billion x 100 billion.

That's 10,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 stars, 10 thousand, billion, billion. Properly known as 10 sextillion. And that's a very conservative estimate.

4) The number of stars that have planetary systems. The original extra-solar system planet hunting technology dictated that a star needed to be to close to us for a planet to be detected, usually by the stars 'wobble'. Better technology that allows us to measure the dimming of a stars brightness when a planet crosses its disk has now revolutionised planet hunting and new planets are being discovered at an ever increasing rate. So far (August 2003) around 100 have been discovered so we have very little data to work on for this estimate. Even so, most cosmologists believe that planetary formation around a star is quite common place. For the sake of argument let us say it's not and rate it at only one in a million and only one planet in each system, as we want a conservative estimate, not an exaggerated one. That calculation results in:

10,000,000,000,000,000 planets in the universe. Ten million, billion, as a conservative estimate.

5) The number planets capable of supporting life. Let's assume that this is very rare among planets and rate it at only one in a million. Simple division results in:

10,000,000,000 planets in the universe capable of producing life. Ten billion!

If I was to be starting a business and had these types of odds I would take it every time. The fact of the matter is, these odds are terribly in favor of the existence of aliens.

Jimmy_Leppard
  • Jimmy_Leppard

• Members

Posted 04 December 2010 - 04:08 PM

QUOTE (nerner @ Dec 4 2010, 15:04)
Here is an excerpt showing why it's nowhere near 50:50.

1) The number of galaxies. An estimated 50 billion galaxies are visible with modern telescopes and the total number in the universe must surely exceed this number by a huge factor, but we will be conservative and simply double it. That's 100,000,000,000 galaxies in the universe.

2) The number of stars in an average galaxy. As many as hundreds of billions in each galaxy.

Lets call it just 100 billion.

That's 100,000,000,000 stars per galaxy.

3)The number of stars in the universe.

So the total number of stars in the universe is roughly 100 billion x 100 billion.

That's 10,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 stars, 10 thousand, billion, billion. Properly known as 10 sextillion. And that's a very conservative estimate.

4) The number of stars that have planetary systems. The original extra-solar system planet hunting technology dictated that a star needed to be to close to us for a planet to be detected, usually by the stars 'wobble'. Better technology that allows us to measure the dimming of a stars brightness when a planet crosses its disk has now revolutionised planet hunting and new planets are being discovered at an ever increasing rate. So far (August 2003) around 100 have been discovered so we have very little data to work on for this estimate. Even so, most cosmologists believe that planetary formation around a star is quite common place. For the sake of argument let us say it's not and rate it at only one in a million and only one planet in each system, as we want a conservative estimate, not an exaggerated one. That calculation results in:

10,000,000,000,000,000 planets in the universe. Ten million, billion, as a conservative estimate.

5) The number planets capable of supporting life. Let's assume that this is very rare among planets and rate it at only one in a million. Simple division results in:

10,000,000,000 planets in the universe capable of producing life. Ten billion!

If I was to be starting a business and had these types of odds I would take it every time. The fact of the matter is, these odds are terribly in favor of the existence of aliens.

That doesn't impress me. I don't think God created aliens...Just because there are 100,000,000,000 stars per galaxy doesn't mean that they consist any type of life..And you can't compare business to existace of aliens, dude. Sorry.

Tyler
  • Tyler

[rain]

• Unknown

Posted 04 December 2010 - 04:15 PM

You can't stop a debate just because he pulled statistical theories that you can't disprove in any way. He made his point of why it's almost impossible for aliens not to exist, so now this is the part where you give your ideas on why they don't. Saying 'it doesn't mean they do' is not a valid argument.

Jimmy_Leppard
  • Jimmy_Leppard

• Members

Posted 04 December 2010 - 04:27 PM

QUOTE (Unoriginal44 @ Dec 4 2010, 16:15)
You can't stop a debate just because he pulled statistical theories that you can't disprove in any way. He made his point of why it's almost impossible for aliens not to exist, so now this is the part where you give your ideas on why they don't. Saying 'it doesn't mean they do' is not a valid argument.

I'm not trying to end a debate..I'm just saying my view of this topic. That's what a debate is. Isn't it? I'm not trying to end it..sh*t.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users