Concept
740 replies to this topic
mk91552
  • mk91552

Player Hater

• Members
  • New-Zealand

Posted 20 December 2016 - 08:58 PM

I forget if it was Castellano or someone else I read about, but I remember a 70s or 80s era wiretap discussion going something like:

"Would you make your sons?"
"No. Maybe ten years ago. Maybe ten years from now. But not now. Not with the dope."
"The Colombos all make their kids."

I am currently conduct research for a book that I am writing about the American Mafia and their rise and fall from being the Unites States largest and most powerful national crime syndicate. I came across a series of wiretap evidence that the FBI had and the State investigators had garnered for the 1985/86 Commission Trial, the trial that dismantled the hierarchies of all five New York borgatas. Anyhow, the conversation about making, straightening out or inducting sons of mobsters was not conducted by Paul Castellano. It was actually between the Lucchese boss Antonio "Tony Ducks" Corallo and his chauffeur Salvatore Avellino, who was involved in racketeering in Long Islands garbage and refuse industry.
After law enforcement bugged Avellino's Jaguar (the car he used when driving his boss around), they came across enormous amounts of proof that the Mafia was a secret society and that induction of mobsters sons was a preoccupying concern. A decision to groom his son for induction induction occupied Avellino's thoughts in a 1983 wiretap. In a conversation with Corallo he raised the subject, referring to Andrew "Andy Mush" Russo, a Colombo caporegime.
Avellino: Andy Russo just made his other son, the youngest one.
Corallo: They (the Colombos) make all their kids, huh.
Avellino: Yeah, he made his two sons.
Corallo: Would you make your kids.
Avellino: No, not now. I mean my thinking right now is no. It might change five years from now, ten years from now, but right now my thinking is no.
I do not know exactly why the mob elders disagreed about making their sons, possibly because they didn't want to live in an environment where their father's could be put in a position to give the capital punishment against their sons, death, or they just didn't want their sons to live the life they did because they had carved out a nice life for them so they could aspire to be something greater. Who knows. But I do know it had nothing to do with drugs. The Mafia leaders were, in truth, a bunch of hypocrites. They would recieve the envelopes the capos and soldiers kicked up to them, often the profits of drug trafficking or peddling, but if they saw caught anyone trafficking, they were done, finished. Really, when you think about, the Mafia is just a bunch of people that are only in it for themselves, to make as much illegal money as possible before cutting loose or striking a deal with the DA or prosecutors to be processed into WITSEC, the mob equivalent of a retirement program, ending up on a sunny beach under a new name. I mean just look at Michael De Santa off GTA V, the mansion he lived in.

Money Over Bullshit
  • Money Over Bullshit

The Visionary

• Members
  • None
  • Contribution Award [Concepts]
    Most Knowledgeable [GTA Series] 2010
    Best Concept Story 2010 "The Code of The Streets"

Posted 30 December 2016 - 02:20 PM

I forget if it was Castellano or someone else I read about, but I remember a 70s or 80s era wiretap discussion going something like:

"Would you make your sons?"
"No. Maybe ten years ago. Maybe ten years from now. But not now. Not with the dope."
"The Colombos all make their kids."

I am currently conduct research for a book that I am writing about the American Mafia and their rise and fall from being the Unites States largest and most powerful national crime syndicate. I came across a series of wiretap evidence that the FBI had and the State investigators had garnered for the 1985/86 Commission Trial, the trial that dismantled the hierarchies of all five New York borgatas. Anyhow, the conversation about making, straightening out or inducting sons of mobsters was not conducted by Paul Castellano. It was actually between the Lucchese boss Antonio "Tony Ducks" Corallo and his chauffeur Salvatore Avellino, who was involved in racketeering in Long Islands garbage and refuse industry.
After law enforcement bugged Avellino's Jaguar (the car he used when driving his boss around), they came across enormous amounts of proof that the Mafia was a secret society and that induction of mobsters sons was a preoccupying concern. A decision to groom his son for induction induction occupied Avellino's thoughts in a 1983 wiretap. In a conversation with Corallo he raised the subject, referring to Andrew "Andy Mush" Russo, a Colombo caporegime.
Avellino: Andy Russo just made his other son, the youngest one.
Corallo: They (the Colombos) make all their kids, huh.
Avellino: Yeah, he made his two sons.
Corallo: Would you make your kids.
Avellino: No, not now. I mean my thinking right now is no. It might change five years from now, ten years from now, but right now my thinking is no.
I do not know exactly why the mob elders disagreed about making their sons, possibly because they didn't want to live in an environment where their father's could be put in a position to give the capital punishment against their sons, death, or they just didn't want their sons to live the life they did because they had carved out a nice life for them so they could aspire to be something greater. Who knows. But I do know it had nothing to do with drugs. The Mafia leaders were, in truth, a bunch of hypocrites. They would recieve the envelopes the capos and soldiers kicked up to them, often the profits of drug trafficking or peddling, but if they saw caught anyone trafficking, they were done, finished. Really, when you think about, the Mafia is just a bunch of people that are only in it for themselves, to make as much illegal money as possible before cutting loose or striking a deal with the DA or prosecutors to be processed into WITSEC, the mob equivalent of a retirement program, ending up on a sunny beach under a new name. I mean just look at Michael De Santa off GTA V, the mansion he lived in.

Thanks for clearing that up.. I was unaware of the conversation in question although I am familiar with the other information. The son in question is Billy Russo who is a capo in the the family now. I think he was actually considered as a candidate to take over as boss not too long ago too. Andy Mush is actually a pretty interesting character. He's the cousin of the official boss Carmine Persico and served as the family's underboss from 1973-1977 and later became acting boss (for the imprisoned Persico in 2011). He is also a good friend of actor James Caan (who played Sonny Corleone) and a godfather of his son Scott (star of Hawaii 5-0). Caan actually landed in hot water due to his connection to Russo when it was revealed during a bail hearing and he later offered to stand bail for his release. It's said that production of The Godfather was actually halted in 1971 until Joe Colombo gave the go ahead for it to be filmed following authorised script changes (removing the words Mafia and Cosa Nostra from the script) and the agreed donation of all profits from the premiere to Colombo's Civil Rights League. Its likely that this friendship played into that somehow. Aside from other minor influences the Corleones are mostly based on the Colombos too so it makes sense that their boss would want to review the script before it made it to the big screen. The Colombos actually have a pretty long history in the entertainment industry and actor Tony Sirico (from the Sopranos) was once a member too. I also think you're probably right about the reasoning behind the older mafiosos not wanting to make their sons and the Colombos actually saw those fears come true on several occasions. Most notably when the son of a former underboss John Franzese Jr. turned states evidence against his father in 2010.

Scotty420
  • Scotty420

The Lost One

• Members
  • Austria

Posted 30 January 2017 - 08:38 AM Edited by Scotty420, 30 January 2017 - 08:43 AM.

Well, as much I do love this beautiful mafia story, but still I thought Carlo will only work for the Lupisella's in the whole story and be made man, capo or something and marry with Daniela Lupisella since I haven't that time those years to read the single chapters and I did it today for the first time and realized how emotional and beautiful the story is... most of all I liked the part where they were about to kill Dino somehow and that with Dani being mad and those phone calls, just so sad... 

I remember seeing this thread 'bout 2 years ago in December 2015 and PMing @Money Over Bullsh*t though its a real mod for GTA IV, but when he told me its just a mafia story based in GTA 4 I was so disappointed i though also I can play it in the game...wish it was true... ha ha :D

• Money Over Bullshit and Jeansowaty like this

Money Over Bullshit
  • Money Over Bullshit

The Visionary

• Members
  • None

Posted 07 February 2017 - 06:40 PM

Well, as much I do love this beautiful mafia story, but still I thought Carlo will only work for the Lupisella's in the whole story and be made man, capo or something and marry with Daniela Lupisella since I haven't that time those years to read the single chapters and I did it today for the first time and realized how emotional and beautiful the story is... most of all I liked the part where they were about to kill Dino somehow and that with Dani being mad and those phone calls, just so sad... 

I remember seeing this thread 'bout 2 years ago in December 2015 and PMing @Money Over Bullsh*t though its a real mod for GTA IV, but when he told me its just a mafia story based in GTA 4 I was so disappointed i though also I can play it in the game...wish it was true... ha ha :D

Thanks a lot man. That's actually quite a common misconception about this and other concepts. I've had several people message me thinking it was a mod in the past so don't feel bad :)

• Scotty420 and Ivan1997GTA like this

EM_JAY_86
  • EM_JAY_86

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 19 February 2017 - 12:00 AM Edited by EM_JAY_86, 19 February 2017 - 02:51 AM.

Whats up MOB, haven't had a chance to post for a while mate but really enjoyed the last few missions. First off i love the idea off liberty city in winter time and it was a great setting for the sammy bottino encounter. I'm not aware of the circumstances of nicky's death but i felt for sammy knowing that the life his son followed him into led to a gruesome end. Having different approaches into the airport also give an otherwise straight forward mission some replay value. I genuinly was heart broken for carlo also when peter turned him away when he approached him about the feds puttin pressure on him, especially when paulie later asks why he doesn't go to his own people. It's an honest depiction of the mob in the way that the brotherhood aspect only really applied when the higher ups are happy and earning, but 9/10 times self preservation come first, like gianco tells carlo "everything goes up the ladder". At least pete seemed honest with carlo after the attack on his mother and gave him the choice to go after ancelotti (albeit on his own). I thought it was a great choice to have paulie send you to clip phil bell, and tho i first thought i'd spare phil cos i liked him in IV, i think after playing through the game and approaching the hit from carlo's perspective i would have killed him. That was his ticket out of town (or so he thought) so why risk f*ckin it up.
The set up for the construction scene was great as well, like people have already mentioned ancelotti's appearance in this and the final mission with his cane and his smoking jacket and pyjamas really match up with his character description, his inflated ego and presence indicate a man who's hopelessly trying to hold on to not just his failing empire, but the far long lost youth he so desperatly tried to cling to over the years. At least thats what i took from it. Nice touch having him bring in some neopolitan heavy hitters to go after carlo's business and his mother, f*ckin vicious old bastard. I loved the image of him in his pj's breakin out the gusenberg sweeper like a real hollywood prohibition era gangster, great touch. I thought the final mission played out really well, even if there wasn't a huge build up and reveal of the main antagonist, the attack on carlo's mother was enough to make it very satisfying. The recent call from carlo's ma about him not visiting gives an extra heartfelt kick to the proatag also, given that she's now suffering for his exploits.
I know u said u left the paulie gianco situation as a grey area as far as his true intentions but i would have took the time to go after him too, seems to me that he was looking to cover all base's by sending u after phil then giving u up to ancelotti, that's enough for me even if he wasn't in on going after carlo's mother, and we're going after a boss anyway so what's the difference if we take out a capo along the way. I don't know the whole background on their working relationship tho so i'm more than likely missing something.
As i've mentioned before i'm really intrigued by the FIB plot line and the back and forth dialogue was imo some of the best you've written, as well as the scene setting with the five family trees on the boards. The tie in with bell's and paulie's phine conversation was a nice touch too. The feds really seem to have carlo by the balls here so i'm lookin forward to seeing how it plays out.

All in all great closing missions to the concept MOB, sorry for the long write up but tryna cram as much feedback as possible. Looking forward to the epilogue and hope u get a chance to post it soon.
  • Money Over Bullshit likes this

Money Over Bullshit
  • Money Over Bullshit

The Visionary

• Members
  • None

Posted 19 February 2017 - 01:30 PM

Whats up MOB, haven't had a chance to post for a while mate but really enjoyed the last few missions. First off i love the idea off liberty city in winter time and it was a great setting for the sammy bottino encounter. I'm not aware of the circumstances of nicky's death but i felt for sammy knowing that the life his son followed him into led to a gruesome end. Having different approaches into the airport also give an otherwise straight forward mission some replay value. I genuinly was heart broken for carlo also when peter turned him away when he approached him about the feds puttin pressure on him, especially when paulie later asks why he doesn't go to his own people. It's an honest depiction of the mob in the way that the brotherhood aspect only really applied when the higher ups are happy and earning, but 9/10 times self preservation come first, like gianco tells carlo "everything goes up the ladder". At least pete seemed honest with carlo after the attack on his mother and gave him the choice to go after ancelotti (albeit on his own). I thought it was a great choice to have paulie send you to clip phil bell, and tho i first thought i'd spare phil cos i liked him in IV, i think after playing through the game and approaching the hit from carlo's perspective i would have killed him. That was his ticket out of town (or so he thought) so why risk f*ckin it up.
The set up for the construction scene was great as well, like people have already mentioned ancelotti's appearance in this and the final mission with his cane and his smoking jacket and pyjamas really match up with his character description, his inflated ego and presence indicate a man who's hopelessly trying to hold on to not just his failing empire, but the far long lost youth he so desperatly tried to cling to over the years. At least thats what i took from it. Nice touch having him bring in some neopolitan heavy hitters to go after carlo's business and his mother, f*ckin vicious old bastard. I loved the image of him in his pj's breakin out the gusenberg sweeper like a real hollywood prohibition era gangster, great touch. I thought the final mission played out really well, even if there wasn't a huge build up and reveal of the main antagonist, the attack on carlo's mother was enough to make it very satisfying. The recent call from carlo's ma about him not visiting gives an extra heartfelt kick to the proatag also, given that she's now suffering for his exploits.
I know u said u left the paulie gianco situation as a grey area as far as his true intentions but i would have took the time to go after him too, seems to me that he was looking to cover all base's by sending u after phil then giving u up to ancelotti, that's enough for me even if he wasn't in on going after carlo's mother, and we're going after a boss anyway so what's the difference if we take out a capo along the way. I don't know the whole background on their working relationship tho so i'm more than likely missing something.
As i've mentioned before i'm really intrigued by the FIB plot line and the back and forth dialogue was imo some of the best you've written, as well as the scene setting with the five family trees on the boards. The tie in with bell's and paulie's phine conversation was a nice touch too. The feds really seem to have carlo by the balls here so i'm lookin forward to seeing how it plays out.

All in all great closing missions to the concept MOB, sorry for the long write up but tryna cram as much feedback as possible. Looking forward to the epilogue and hope u get a chance to post it soon.

No worries about the long write up mate.. I love a bit of in depth analysis :)

You've pretty much hit the nail on the head with everything I've tried to put across in the last few chapters and it really makes me happy that they could hit with somebody like that.

The Epilogue will pretty much revolve around Carlo and the feds but will also show the effect of their ongoing investigation not only on Carlo but on the mob as a whole. Like the old song goes some will win and some will lose while some were born to sing the blues but the movie never ends.. it goes on and on, and on.

• EM_JAY_86 likes this

DidSomebodySayYouga
  • DidSomebodySayYouga

Bravado: Thanks for the bailout America

• Members
  • Russia

Posted 22 March 2017 - 03:06 PM Edited by Niko-las RUS, 22 March 2017 - 03:08 PM.

I'm just in shock.

Tell me, how did you guess that in the next game will Gallardo has been named Vacca?

http://gta.wikia.com/wiki/Vacca

Post not edited like, and he's already written in 2010 ...

• Money Over Bullshit, Jeansowaty and Great Britain like this

Great Britain
  • Great Britain

★ ✯ ♔ ✯ ★

• Facade
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 22 March 2017 - 03:11 PM

I'm just in shock.

Tell me, how did you guess that in the next game will Gallardo has been named Vacca?

I think someone at Rockstar has been paying attention to the forums after all.  :)

Money Over Bullshit
  • Money Over Bullshit

The Visionary

• Members
  • None

Posted 23 March 2017 - 10:42 AM

I'm just in shock.

I'd love to say that I'm psychic but I actually did edit the post. It was originally called something else, as was the Cognoscenti Cabrio :)

Money Over Bullshit
  • Money Over Bullshit

The Visionary

• Members
  • None

Posted 4 weeks ago Edited by Money Over Bullshit, 4 weeks ago.

Epilogue

Carlo will sit down and begin watching television in his living room when he hears a knock on the door. He will rise from the couch and answer it to find Agents Russo and DeSoto standing on his porch.

Carlo: "Aw fellas, had I known you were coming I would've put on a roast"

Russo: "I think you know what we're here for. Can we come in.. or do we have to enter by force"

Carlo will look to the foot of his garden to see two SUVs parked with a tactical response team decked out with submachine guns and bullet proof vests

"No that won't be necessary.. come in"

Russo will signal to the response team to stay put as he and DeSoto enter the property. DeSoto will then begin to look around before playing with a bauble on a christmas tree in Carlo's hallway.

"Nice place you got here.. with all your little decorations and everything. Must be hard for you losing your mother and all"

Russo will cut in "Yeah we were sorry to hear about that"

Carlo will craftily avoid the agents possible attempts to play on his emotions before changing the subject.

"Yeah I should really start taking them down... So what's with the show of force fellas.. I thought we were friends"

DeSoto: "Well that depends.."

Carlo: "Yeah? On what?"

DeSoto: "Whether are not you cooperate"

Russo: "I take it you've had time to think about our offer"

Carlo will think hard before answering

"I have"

Russo: "And?"

DeSoto: "You gonna tell us to stick it up our ass again?"

Before Carlo has a chance to answer Russo will interject once again

"You know if you do we're going to have to arrest you. We just thought we'd pay you the curtousy.. give you one last chance to redeem yourself before the net closes in. No doubt it's what your mother would've wanted. There've been a lot of bodies turning up lately.. all the way up to the administration.. you sit this one out any longer and you might not even make it to trial"

Carlo: "You know what.. you're right. It's exactly what my mother would've wanted"

Russo will become uncharacteristically excited

"So you're gonna take the deal?"

Carlo will now walk into the living room and take a seat

"Yeah.. I'm gonna take it. All things considered I might aswell get something out of it. Start a new life away from all the bullsh*t"

The agents will now follow suit, taking seats on a couch to Carlo's right. Russo will then begin with the reassurances

"You're making the right decision. And after the trials you'd never even have to come back.. you could leave all of the pain and suffering behind"

Carlo will look down thoughtfully

"That's probably something that'll never go away"

Russo will lean over placing a hand on Carlo's shoulder, prompting him to look up in his direction

"The main thing is neither will you. You keep your nose clean and you can live happily ever after.. a proper little fairy tale"

This time DeSoto will have a turn at interjecting

"We're still gonna have to arrest you. It'll look bad for everyone if we just walk away. We've already started making arrests in other parts of the city.. we can't just let you go"

Carlo: "Come on now boys.. you don't gotta do that. Why don't you give me a couple of hours to sort out my affairs then I'll see you down in headquarters and we can get the ball rolling huh"

DeSoto: "No f*cking way"

Russo will look disapprovingly at his partner who will heedlessly continue

"What so we give this guy a deal and now we gotta kiss his f*cking ass on top of it.... You know he's a flight risk"

Ignoring DeSoto's protests, Russo will strike a deal

"You've got two hours. Do what you gotta do. But if you run we're coming after you with everything we've got"

DeSoto: "And I'm gonna make sure I dispose of you personally. If it's the last thing I do"

Carlo: "Thanks fellas.. I really appreciate that"

Russo: "Two hours Carlo.. don't be late"

The two agents will leave and Carlo will close the door behind them. He will then make his way back over to the couch and take a seat. Beginning to contemplate what he's just done.

After a minute or so there will be another knock at the door. Maybe the agents have reconsidered and decided to take him now afterall. He will sigh and shake his head, making his way to the door. He will barely manage to open it when he will be blown back by several shots that will pierce his chest in succession. The scene will play out in slow motion as he falls back onto the floor and we will be treated to one final monologue from Carlo as he breaths his last breaths, bleeding out in the hallway.

"As I lay there.. dying.." the voiceover will begin as the camera zooms into his blood splattered face as he begins gasping for air.

"..I began to think of all the bad sh*t I ever done in my life like when I kicked the neighbours dog for barking at me or got my ass kicked out of school in the seventh grade for stealing Mrs. Scaramucci's purse."

The assassin will now put two in Carlo's dome. The screen will now begin to blur as Carlo continues his posthumous monologue

"Sort of ironic isn't it.. If only my mother could see me now.. 'save yourself Carlo, get out while you still can' that's what she'd say. If only I had've left with those agents maybe I could have.. of course had I never f*cked around with the wrong people maybe she'd still be here to tell me in person".

The screen will now fade to black

"She would've stood their, proud, by my side as I testified. And then when it was all over we 'd be given new identities and relocated so that I could spend the rest of my days working a sh*tty desk job in cramped little office in the middle of the f*cking nowhere. I guess things just played out a little bit differently"

The opening notes of House of the Rising Sun will now begin to play as Carlo's spoken epitaph draws to a close.

"I guess I really did make my own bed in the end.. So here I lie.. the last of a dying breed"

You will now be treated to a montage depicting the fate of the other characters as The Animals play out before fading into Bruce Springsteen.

The sequence will begin with Harvey Noto being door knocked at dawn at his Meadow Hills mansion by a similar tactical squad to Carlo headed up be federal agents. Despite being early in the morning he will already be fully clothed and will leave peacefully with the agents before being barrelled into a black sedan.

On screen text and visuals will state that he was quickly brought to trial but the star witness in the case Fredo Volpe was murdered before he could testify. In spite of this he was later convicted and sentenced to life in prison when his underboss agreed to testify in order to escape the death penalty. Testimony also backed up by Mark Volpe (had you let him live) who was arrested in a Vice City bookmakers after threatening to shoot the place up when they refused to pay out his winnings.

The scene will then cut to the door of Mark Lupisella's townhouse being smashed in with a battering ram. The heavily armed agents will go upstairs and boot in the door of the office, handcuffing Mark and pulling him away as his uncle drops dead of a heart attack, falling from his wheelchair as the agents callously try to handcuff him aswell.

The scene will then shift to a restaurant in Little Italy where Rudy D'avanzo will be shown being inducted into the Ancelotti Family. "Becoming the oldest member to be made into Liberty City's La Cosa Nostra" according to the text on screen.

As the scene shifts again the on-screen text will inform you that the testimony of Pavano hitman Vito Menotti lead to the arrest of several members of the Family's administration. A newscaster will state that Mary Valvona (who will be pictured in a police station wearing a dressing gown and slippers with smeared makeup and rollers in her hair) was held without bail while other members such as Artie Zapulla and Ercole Romano were released pending indictment.

The scene will now cut to two federal agents watching the broadcast on a monitor in the back of a van before zooming out to reveal that they are conducting surveillance outside Roy Zito's club. He will be seen standing at the door kissing a young lady and when she leaves in one direction a man will approach from the other. Zito will usher him inside and a few moments later he will be seen drawing the blinds of an upstairs apartment. Audio will then be heard from inside the van as Zito says to the man "You've got a present for me? Beautiful. Now bend the f*ck over and I'll give you what I've got for you".

The camera will zoom through the streets of South Broker before stopping on Alazone's and taking us inside as Peter Gravelli is arrested. The on-screen text will reveal that he eventually received life imprisonment based on recorded testimony given by Dino Ziffarelli for the airport heist and ordering the murders of Mario Ciccone, Marco DiBernardo and his former Capo Peter Narducci.

We will then be shown Carlo's murder from a third person perspective. As the FIB leave a car will pull up from the corner and the gunman (wearing all black) will get out. He will pull out a pistol and knock on Carlo's door. The door will be opened and the man will open fire before entering the house briefly to deliver the final shots and escaping in the car.

The camera now pans to Russo and DeSoto boarding an FIB chopper and flying towards their HQ in Algonquin. As they land on the roof a sedan will be seen pulling away from the front of the building and heading towards Bohan. We will then be shifted to a compound in Boulevard where Jimmy Capra will be seen looking into the trunk of a car filled with several kilos of heroin. He will close the trunk and instruct some of his men to drive it away before talking out his phone and entering an Esperanto which will promptly explode in a ball of flames. The text will inform us that he survived the attempt thanks to his fondness for old American made automobiles because that particular model had a metal plate fitted under the drivers seat with shielded him from much of the explosion.

The camera will pull away from the compound and begin following a man down the street. It will shift to his front and reveal him to be Rudy D'Avanzo who seen laughing with a phone to his ear. He will then hang up the phone and enter the sedan that was seen pulling away from the FIB Headquarters a few moments earlier.

At this point an extra scene can play out showing Sammy Bottino who we will be told eventually made his way to San Andreas with his wife and daughter where he began dealing in Methamphetamine with the Lost MC. In 2011 he was arrested, took a plea bargain and testified against members of the Gambetti Crime Family, putting a final nail in the coffin of the once powerful crime family.

• Claude4Catalina, Cebra, Jeansowaty and 1 other like this

Claude4Catalina
  • Claude4Catalina

Carcer City bound!

• Members
  • None

Posted 4 weeks ago

Did you watch Casino just prior to writing this or do you have the natural ability to slip in tiny references by way of a single sentence that makes the reader think "now where the f*ck did I read or hear that before?" then it clicks shortly after they realise they're listening to a song that was used in the same movie that the aforementioned reference came from...and the primary reason the reader is listening to that song in the first place is because you jolted their memory on how much of a great song House Of The Rising Sun is.

I think that stopped being a question and soon became a statement of facts but honestly mate what a brilliant closer that was!  I especially liked the little touch at the end about Sammy Bottino heading out to the desert and dealing meth; a nod to Sammy Gravano's involvement with ecstasy in Arizona?

I really didn't see Carlo meeting his maker but you played it out well.

• Money Over Bullshit and Cebra like this

Money Over Bullshit
  • Money Over Bullshit

The Visionary

• Members
  • None

Posted 4 weeks ago Edited by Money Over Bullshit, 4 weeks ago.

Did you watch Casino just prior to writing this or do you have the natural ability to slip in tiny references by way of a single sentence that makes the reader think "now where the f*ck did I read or hear that before?" then it clicks shortly after they realise they're listening to a song that was used in the same movie that the aforementioned reference came from...and the primary reason the reader is listening to that song in the first place is because you jolted their memory on how much of a great song House Of The Rising Sun is.

I think that stopped being a question and soon became a statement of facts but honestly mate what a brilliant closer that was!  I especially liked the little touch at the end about Sammy Bottino heading out to the desert and dealing meth; a nod to Sammy Gravano's involvement with ecstasy in Arizona?

I really didn't see Carlo meeting his maker but you played it out well.

Yeah man spot on the Jimmy Capra thing is a clear reference to Frank Rosenthal aka Sam Rothstein (played by De Niro) in Casino as is the use of House of the Rising Sun at the end with the voice over. Many people would've suspected an ending more akin to Goodfellas but since the early days of this concept Carlo was always going to die. I've actually been sitting on this for the better part of a year I just hadn't ever gotten around to typing it out. Today I finally got my act together and pieced it all together.

You're also spot on about the Gravano reference. Gravano was convicted in 2001 and Bottino in 2011. Given the twenty year age gap it makes sense that their lives would play out similarly albeit many years apart. The main difference being that it was only after the drug trafficking arrest that Bottino agreed to sing like a canary. Seeing as though he was already on the run for murder charges though there's no way he'd ever see the light of day if he didn't agree to cooperate.

• Claude4Catalina likes this

Cebra
  • Cebra

Eh.

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Canada

Posted 4 weeks ago

Didn't expect to see this up. Did my constant insisting that Family Ties deserved a proper send-off have any bearing on you finally getting to write this? Come on, be honest. :p

I honestly didn't think Carlo would meet his end here, I thought he'd take the deal with the feds and go off into WitSec to live out the rest of his years like a schnook. There's really only two ways out in that life, though, and he reaped what he sowed. 

Like Claude4Catalina said, the Casino parallels are clear and I think they work in your favor here. I remember reading a review of The Sopranos a while back that made note of how the series uses common music, jokes, terms, etc. to make it feel like it's part of an interconnected work. You having House of the Rising Sun play over the epilogue brings us to think "Where else have I heard this?" and we'll end up thinking of Casino and its great ending. That and the foiled car bomb make this feel like part of a connected world - it's a direct reference that forces us to call back to already established works and how it all comes together in the end. 

It's sad to see this finally come to a close, but I'm sure you're proud of how it turned out. Not many people have the willpower to bring such a sprawling story all the way to its close almost seven years after you first put pen to paper. If you had waited another thirty days you would've closed it off seven years to the day!

Congrats, man.  :^:

Money Over Bullshit
  • Money Over Bullshit

The Visionary

• Members
  • None

Posted 4 weeks ago

Didn't expect to see this up. Did my constant insisting that Family Ties deserved a proper send-off have any bearing on you finally getting to write this? Come on, be honest. :p

I honestly didn't think Carlo would meet his end here, I thought he'd take the deal with the feds and go off into WitSec to live out the rest of his years like a schnook. There's really only two ways out in that life, though, and he reaped what he sowed. 

Like Claude4Catalina said, the Casino parallels are clear and I think they work in your favor here. I remember reading a review of The Sopranos a while back that made note of how the series uses common music, jokes, terms, etc. to make it feel like it's part of an interconnected work. You having House of the Rising Sun play over the epilogue brings us to think "Where else have I heard this?" and we'll end up thinking of Casino and its great ending. That and the foiled car bomb make this feel like part of a connected world - it's a direct reference that forces us to call back to already established works and how it all comes together in the end. 

It's sad to see this finally come to a close, but I'm sure you're proud of how it turned out. Not many people have the willpower to bring such a sprawling story all the way to its close almost seven years after you first put pen to paper. If you had waited another thirty days you would've closed it off seven years to the day!

Congrats, man.  :^:

I've been meaning to post it for quite some time but I must admit us talking about the story recently did refocus my attention on actually getting it done :) I also did consider holding out on posting until the seven year anniversary but I ultimately decided to post it as soon as it was done.

It's crazy to think that it's taken me this long to finish it considering I originally planned on getting it done in just a year or two and its even crazier when you look at the inconsistency of my work rate - In the first year I posted around 8 chapters (22 parts) and in each of the subsequent years that dropped to around two a year. If you look around the forums though that seems to be a fairly steady work rate so I guess I can take a bit of solace in that :D

SonnyNapoli
  • SonnyNapoli

Wiseguy

• Members
  • Ukraine

Posted 3 weeks ago

Great job, fella. I like some of the references to the real life events, like the Albanians and the gas station.

Hope next GTA Game will be focused on events surrounding Five Families.

Money Over Bullshit
  • Money Over Bullshit

The Visionary

• Members
  • None

Posted 3 weeks ago

Great job, fella. I like some of the references to the real life events, like the Albanians and the gas station.

Hope next GTA Game will be focused on events surrounding Five Families.

Thanks for the feedback. I made a conscious effort to allude to several real life events while still keeping the story feeling modern. Hopefully I succeeded.

Jeansowaty
  • Jeansowaty

My music's my favourite music ever.

• Members
  • Poland

Posted 3 weeks ago

I like how it feels different from the rest of the GTA's, being split into chapters rather than missions. On top of that, it's the first time the protagonist of a GTA game dies in his game. How are you supposed to play after the epilogue though? The game would just end and that's it? You'd need to make a new savegame to play again? :p

Money Over Bullshit
  • Money Over Bullshit

The Visionary

• Members
  • None

Posted 3 weeks ago Edited by Money Over Bullshit, 2 weeks ago.

I like how it feels different from the rest of the GTA's, being split into chapters rather than missions. On top of that, it's the first time the protagonist of a GTA game dies in his game. How are you supposed to play after the epilogue though? The game would just end and that's it? You'd need to make a new savegame to play again? :p

The idea is that the Epilogue would only unlock after 100% completion and therefore there wouldn't be anything left to play for. The cutscene will also only be triggered by entering Carlo's sitting room and turning on the TV. Carlo also has an apartment in Algonquin so there would be no reason to do this unless you want to initiate the end game and finish playing.

I began to formulate this idea back in early 2010 while working on another concept that had been going around in my head for quite a while. Given the subject matter I wanted the game to play out as an interactive novel whereby some of the finer details would be written by the player themselves. For this reason I felt chapters would be the best way to go. I had initially been skeptical but after playing Mafia II I realised how well this could work as a narrative structure. As we know most stories about the mafia come from the perspective of an informant - somebody who broke their oath to the organisation (usually to save their own skin). These people are really lucky to make it out alive so its inevitable that some wouldn't make it. The ending I suppose is supposed to create a dilemma.. we want to see Carlo receive clemency for his actions but we have to realise that he's not a good person otherwise he wouldn't have done a lot of the things that he's done. He shouldn't be allowed to do all of that and then snitch on his buddies in order to live happily ever after. Oliver Stone initially wrote Scarface so that Tony Montana survives in the end but the studio implored him to do a rewrite wherein he gets killed in a similar manner to his predecessor Tony Camonte. I actually really like that.. probably something that could've been replicated by David Chase in the Sopranos :) Some may see it as a bit of an anti climax but if you want him to live then there's always the option to just keep playing casually after the assault at Giovanni's mansion.

• Jeansowaty and Ivan1997GTA like this

Jeansowaty
  • Jeansowaty

My music's my favourite music ever.

• Members
  • Poland

Posted 3 weeks ago

Even more unique. Beautiful. Rockstar should have read your story instead of making that sh*tfest called GTA V. It's genetically superior man, get a cookie for this :cookie:

• Money Over Bullshit and LincolnClay like this

mk91552
  • mk91552

Player Hater

• Members
  • New-Zealand

Posted 3 weeks ago

Surprised by the ending. I've been waiting so long to finally read this, and was totally taken aback by what happened to Carlo. I really hoped it would be a choice option. By the way what did Carlo hope to do in those two hours the Feds gave him?

Money Over Bullshit
  • Money Over Bullshit

The Visionary

• Members
  • None

Posted 2 weeks ago

Surprised by the ending. I've been waiting so long to finally read this, and was totally taken aback by what happened to Carlo. I really hoped it would be a choice option. By the way what did Carlo hope to do in those two hours the Feds gave him?

Aside from Carlo's fate I wanted to leave the ending fairly ambiguous. We know he was killed but we don't know who killed him and why. A two hour window gives him a lot of opportunities.. he easily could've ran but that's not to say he would have.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users