ANNOYING THINGS IN MOVIES & TV

35 replies to this topic
lil weasel
  • lil weasel

Shoot Looters, Hang Pirates!

• Members
  • None
  • Contribution Award [San Andreas]

Posted 15 October 2010 - 02:49 PM Edited by lil weasel, 07 May 2011 - 03:11 PM.

ANNOYING THINGS IN MOVIES & ON TV

1. Previews of the movie at the beginning of the movie I’m going to watch now. I got (bought/rented) the movie so what are they trying to sell me?
2. Previews that show the only two surprises in the movie. It just ruins the only real mystery action in the movie.
3. White sub-titles. (Should be orange outlined if not completely orange with black outline.)
4. Non-science fiction movies with major sci-fi aspects: Digital pictures being ‘enhanced’ to see impossible images from a pixel.
5. Bad (lazy) camera angles. Scene is supposed to be what the character sees, but the view angle is impossible.
6. Characters are out for a walk. They meet. After talking they turn to go back the way they came. What happened to the errand they left the house for?
7. Police person on duty gets shot in the chest. No Body Armour?
8. Police shows where the character(s) are going to aid someone but, no one calls for backup or other assistance that is likely to be closer to render aid.
9. Police/FBI are on scene where probable injury should be expected. No medical assistance is present. “… Somebody call 911…”
10. Person arrives at scene, stops vehicle 100 yards (or any unseemly distance) away and runs up to (whatever).
11. Person lying on pavement. Help(?) manhandles body without regard to possible injuries or further potential harm.
12. Actor must remove headgear (helmet) because the actor Must show face.
13. Actor being carried is unconscious but head is held up without brace.
14. Actor being carried is unconscious but arm(s) holding on to carrier.
15. Cheap set lighting, usually a reddish colour.
16. Needing to talk with a person actor stops twelve feet away when (s)he could easily walk next to the person. And then shouts, “I need to talk with you, right away!”
17. Driver pulls from curb without looking for oncoming traffic. Usually moderate traffic could be seen in background.
18. End of the world: “We have to evacuate, right now!” So there is no ‘safe’ place and where is everybody going?
19. End of the world: “… must protect the leaders…” Why there will be no people left to govern?
20. Character is scared and walking backwards in the dangerous area, paying no attention to where (s)he is going.
21. Going to search/explore a dark structure without a torch. Luckily there’s enough light in the dark tunnel.
22. A Disaster countdown that is accurate to the second with Everybody’s watch set to the exact second.
23. Chase scenes, every other cut shows the actors about to overtaken and then a different angle shows them far apart.
24. Character is being chased by a vehicle. The person runs down the alley/street/path with the chaser closing in. There are plenty of places to move sideways (where the vehicle can’t go) that are ignored.
25. Vehicle operator seems to be unable to close on the person fleeing on foot.
26. Leg iron length of chain being used on handcuffs to allow the actor to escape.
27. A ‘masked’ actor with a distinctive speech pattern or unique voice remaining unidentified in the other persona by close friends and contacts.
28. A ‘blind’ character that doesn’t react to vibrations.
29. The doorbell rings or a knock on the door makes everybody jump and pull their guns, reacting like somebody is sneaking up on them by announcing their arrivial.
30. Love scenes that are drawn out to get the R rating.
31. Carrying an object that should be heavy as if it were empty.
32. Drinking from a beverage container that is obviously empty.
33. People who have clothing torn outwards when a bullet hole should nice and neat.
34. Wood that is splintered outward from inbound bullet strike.
35. Kicks and fist throws that obviously are going to be high above the target’s head.
36. The considerate foe that will hold back the sword/knife strike when the target is vulnerable performing a fancy spin.
37. The attacker needs to close on the target quickly, but instead does a time consuming set of back flips during which the considerate target doesn’t shoot or move.
38. Ancient dusty Tunnels/Mazes with falling apart floors. Bodies indicate other explorers who died. Who put the floor together or rearmed the weapon systems?
39. Entertainment Shows that must cut to the audience so that we will know that they are having fun viewing the entertainment. I want to see the show not the other people who are ‘being entertained’.
40. Laugh Tracks that don’t fit. They may be too loud. Heavy handed tracks that shout at you … This is the funny part/joke you must laugh now! Roaring laughter that only proves that the show isn’t worth a chuckle.
41. Background music that is almost as loud as the dialogue being spoken.
42. When it’s obvious that all the good-guys drive a specific car mfg.’s models and all the bad-guys drive a competitor’s cars.
43. Person being tailed is followed by an unusual type vehicle and/or vehicle that has bright colour, yet they don’t notice it.
44. Macho characters who won’t wear seatbelts.
45. Vehicle drivers can see person in road/on tracks but can only Honk their horns, never slowing or stopping with plenty of room.
46. Person is in possible combat situation yet only now cocks their single action automatic or jacks cartridge into chamber.
47. Has shotgun and has been in firefight, but when now confronting enemy has to jack a cartridge into the chamber, nothing ejects.
48. They have only a few seconds to move, but will stand there arguing over a tactic that is obvious to all, even them, and that they will make the decision to do anyway.
49. In an obviously wide open space. Yet when the actor turns around the horror is standing next to the actor.
50. ‘Silenced’ Revolvers (except the Russian Nagant M1895). Can’t be done because of cylinder to barrel gap. Neither can weapons that have Bullets that break the sound barrier. The Semi-Auto (.45 pistol) should make a clacky-clack (sound of the metal moving parts) not ‘Phhst’ when ‘silenced’.
51. Person is shot (usually a friend), The qualified Doctoror medic present just stands looking shocked while someone else manhandles the victum.
52. Loser story plot that involve a member of the Ensemble (or close friend or relative) being the 'victim'.
53. How about those Automatic Machine-Pistols. They normally have 32 round magazines, and fire 600-800 rounds per minute. So how come the baddies are shooting for three or four minutes without running out?
54. Have you seen the really cheap movies where they do a close-up of spent cartridges lying on the ground. Instead of dropping real empty casings they drop the real crimp nosed BLANK casings?
55. Actor holds flame to Fire sprinkler head. Instead of just the affected head ALL the Sprinkler heads in the Office/Building are set off.
56. Actor spends minutes bashing Hinge bracket of a Panic Bar on an exit door with a fire extinguisher. At the last second he kicks the panic bar, Guess what? The door opens.
57. Animal (croc) is chomping off body parts of the early victims in one bite. But, when it comes to the central characters it can’t seem to do more than hold on to them.
58. Cocking of revolver to threaten immenent danger to 'victim'. Just watched a TV show where the same revolver was cocked FIVE times in five minutes as a threat to the same person.
59. 'Boss' charators who can't hold their heads up. You know, always tilted especiall whn asking questions.
60. Clickity, Clickity. People that tap computer keyboards rapidly, especially form standing postions. Have you ever tried it... Also, they almost nevr use mice.
61. Actor carefully and unnaturatly doesn't look in the direction of what will 'suprise' everyone.
62. Bad Science. I see the writers don't know about skunks. The skunk must face you when they flip their tails at you. They can't spray from behind.
63. Running to catch the lift (elevator) the actor pounds on the door instead of triping the safty bar as it closes.

‘TV Reality Courts’
I watched Judge Judy and can understand why she was retired from the bench. And the Nancy Grace shows. This woman is scary as an obviously biased commentator. Both of these women are positively frightening as mediators let alone adjudicators.
All these ‘courts’ seem to be entertainment based on humiliation, along with ‘witty’ judicial comments. It’s a good thing that the participants are being paid to be on the show. Much like professional wrestling.

TELEVISION NEWS I don’t like:
A. News Readers (casters) who pretend they are Reporters. (Evidenced by not understanding the item they are reading.)
B. Casters who joke with each other. Usually making embarrassing ad libs.
C. Casters who make jokes about the article they read.
D. Casters who talk to each other rather than the camera (Me).
E. Promo’s that say ‘Coming up next.’ Next being half an hour later, usually the last minute of the broadcast.
F. News promo blurbs that imply more information will be revealed later, but turn out to contain all of the news item.
G. “The authorities are looking for the unknown alleged perpetrator.” (They are looking for the unknown perpetrator. There’s nothing alleged about it.)
H. Reporters that interview other Reporters, as if the other Reporter was a participant in the news item.
I. Casters who recap a speech and change the words or tone of the speaker. (The speaker says "... and twenty thousand women and children died in the camp from starvation ... " the Caster recap "... says twenty thousand soldiers died in the camp.")
J. An interview where the Ego of the interviewer requires frequent cuts to watch the interviewer nod as the subject responds.
K. Interviews/Hosts that don’t get the ‘proper’ or expected response to a question, which results in the Interviewer/Host talking over or shouting down the response, even going so far as to tell the responder to “shut up”. I saw one show where the Interviewer/Host ordered the responders microphone to be turned off and called for security to remove the ‘guest’. The guest remained totally calm while trying to state his position on the subject.

Annoying statements:
“With all due respect, ….” (A form of dumb insolence.)
"It's the least I can do..." (Isn't that a slap in the face.)
"it averages 5-10" (Come on, an average is a 'definate' like 7, not a span.)
"At this point in time." (When else would it be.)

WHAT I LIKE:
a. Prologue scenes in or under the Credits
b. Big Named stars killed or written out during, especially early, in the movie.
c. Endings where the ‘hero(ines)’ don’t make it.
d. Theme music playing from a radio/source in the movie rather than over it.
e. A reference to another movie’s character, scene, movie or TV show.
f. Some obvious product placements. (You know, cans of soda always placed with the label showing. Low angle shots that just happen to get the stores sign/truck box in view.)

cidamelo
  • cidamelo

RIP Amy WINEHOUSE!GRANT RODIEK is back to the EA GAMES!&

• Members
  • None
  • Comedian of the Year 2010

Posted 15 October 2010 - 03:26 PM

Hi lil weasel there's some things I like, like Previews at the beginning of the movie and Showing the audience viewing the show, but there's things I completely hate, like White sub-titles and Casters who joke with each other it's RIDICULOUS, there's a tv news here in Brazil, "Jornal Hoje", where the casters make jokes and laugh EVERY TIME!!! I HATE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!! For me this is the worst, I HATE FUNNY NEWSCASTER!!! angry.gif angry.gif

Floro Solo
  • Floro Solo

Street Cat

• Members

Posted 15 October 2010 - 03:30 PM

Constant BLUE/ORANGE grading is what I hate. EVERY hollywood flick nowadays has it, even the posters: Blue and orange movieposter collection

cidamelo
  • cidamelo

RIP Amy WINEHOUSE!GRANT RODIEK is back to the EA GAMES!&

• Members
  • None
  • Comedian of the Year 2010

Posted 15 October 2010 - 03:38 PM

Floro Solo it's true I never noticed that lol.gif

Kuruma.
  • Kuruma.

turnt up

• The Yardies
  • Scotland

Posted 15 October 2010 - 03:44 PM

QUOTE (Floro Solo @ Oct 15 2010, 15:30)
Constant BLUE/ORANGE grading is what I hate. EVERY hollywood flick nowadays has it, even the posters: Blue and orange movieposter collection

that is used because blue and orange are contrasting colours therefore the poster catches your eye and makes it look exciting

makeshyft
  • makeshyft

Cyclop have 9 years

• The Precinct

Posted 15 October 2010 - 03:54 PM

Most of the initial points are balls. Pure pedantry.

Yeah man, when the space aliens that don't even exist start swarming space marines (even though there's no such branch of the military), the hero better NOT TAKE HIS DAMNED HELMET OFF!!! That would pose a threat to his safety against imaginary enemies while he works a job that is pure fiction.

Jesus.

lil weasel
  • lil weasel

• Members
  • None

Posted 15 October 2010 - 04:35 PM

Right On! icon14.gif
Arrogance, pedantry, and dogmatism ... the occupational diseases of those who spend their lives directing the intellects of the young. – Henry S. Canby.

You can tell the era of a movie by the Poster or/and instruments used in the Theme Music...

Robinski
  • Robinski

Under a fluorescent sky

• BUSTED!

Posted 15 October 2010 - 04:39 PM Edited by Robinski, 15 October 2010 - 04:42 PM.

Woah dude, don't get so angry. Most of these things are done for cinematic effect, helping the person watching the film understand what's going on or even for real life accuracy. Seriously a hell of a lot of the things you deem unrealistic are actually normal, real life occurrences.

Additionally, you can't really complain about both points A and H for your News section. You don't want news anchors (not reporters fyi) to act like they understand something when they don't, but you also don't want them to interview correspondents out in the field who do know what they're talking?

Finally, that last section about what you do like is just as much a list of cliches as your dislikes, except this time from films that are trying too hard to be edgy and different. That is, aside from the product placement, I have no idea why you'd like that, unless it was done in a similar fashion to this music video where it's so obvious you can tell it's taking the piss.

lil weasel
  • lil weasel

• Members
  • None

Posted 15 October 2010 - 04:55 PM

I’m not angry… just irked.
Some of them are laughable, but take the enjoyment out of the situation.
For the most part I like camp. Movies that are made as serious, and when viewed are a laugh. And conversely a comedy that plays out as serious.
I do understand that license may be taken or in some cases must be taken with the script/scenes.

There shouldn’t be a need to interview a field Reporter. The Reporter should submit the story. If the story is complete the Anchor (glorified news reader) shouldn’t need to ask questions.

Robinski
  • Robinski

Under a fluorescent sky

• BUSTED!

Posted 15 October 2010 - 05:06 PM

QUOTE (lil weasel @ Oct 15 2010, 17:55)
There shouldn’t be a need to interview a field Reporter. The Reporter should submit the story. If the story is complete the Anchor (glorified news reader) shouldn’t need to ask questions.

A Q&A is a pretty effective device when you're reporting on something pretty complex though. The global financial crisis is a good example from recent times. As a general rule I don't understand it, and if a finance correspondent/editor just stood there and said "well you see, it was caused by x, which is y caused by z" I'd not only feel patronised, but I'd be bored too. Having the anchor jump in and ask "But what is x and why does that happen?" breaks up a boring recital and also gives the viewer the impression that they definitely aren't alone in not fully understanding the item.

Actually the GFC has been pretty good for making news networks actually think about their audiences; they need to know this stuff, but they're far from economists and need it to be creatively communicated.

lil weasel
  • lil weasel

• Members
  • None

Posted 15 October 2010 - 05:11 PM

And, that's why TV news is Entertainment. icon14.gif enjoy smile.gif

Moonshield
  • Moonshield

amplifier worship

• Mongolia
  • Best Senior Moderator 2013

Posted 15 October 2010 - 05:17 PM

QUOTE (lil weasel @ Oct 15 2010, 09:49)
42. When it’s obvious that all the good-guys drive a specific car mfg.’s models and all the bad-guys drive a competitor’s cars.

Yeah man, like in Bullitt? Man I hated that sh*t.

f. Some obvious product placements. (You know, cans of soda always placed with the label showing. Low angle shots that just happen to get the stores sign/truck box in view.)

user posted image
and it's the choice of a new generation.

lil weasel
  • lil weasel

• Members
  • None

Posted 15 October 2010 - 05:22 PM

Right... but what I ment was the actor is drinking and holding the can with the label to show. Then puts it down. You can see the can label turned slightly away from view. But on the long shot it has suddenly rotated to be full on smile.gif without apparently being touched...

Don Garcia
  • Don Garcia

Dolls Kill

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • None

Posted 15 October 2010 - 07:44 PM

I like this guy, he's makin' a lotta sense.

Little William
  • Little William

Mangi PNG ya!!

• Members

Posted 16 October 2010 - 12:59 PM

There is one thing I found annoying in those monster movies: when the monster is going to pounce on its victim, the only thing that stupid actor do is standing there screaming his/her head off while the monster chomps him/her up. Realistically, they should at least try to dive to the side to avoid being chomped, unless the monster was too fast for them to react. But most cases with these movies, it is always the same "petrified idiot" move. So sick of it.

lil weasel
  • lil weasel

• Members
  • None

Posted 16 October 2010 - 01:50 PM

the medium is teaching kids to panic and freeze, make as much noise as possible so the bad man can find you.
Something leading to survival of the fittest.

Remember in school: <FIRE ALARM> "O.K. Everyone, line up, shortest to tallest" (or Alphabetical order.) "When everyone is in proper order in the line. We may procede to the assigned exit." -- "Wait everyone! Tommy you are not in the proper place, when you get in your place we will procede to the exit."

arsenal_fan
  • arsenal_fan

Homeboy

• Members

Posted 16 October 2010 - 02:22 PM

LOL, this reminds me of a similar topic on the Amelie IMDB board, where someone posted this on it

'my god this is one of the worst lists ive ever seen. if you want annoying little things in movies, fix 90% of what people said here. i really want to watch someone flip through pages to find their spot, or watch previews before a movie starts, or see a car catch fire like in real life (which ive seen, honestly rather tame, ive seen cooler camp fires), or have the villain kill the hero instead of monologueing, etc. dont get me wrong, things that ruin the illusion like editing mistakes where stuff teleports are annoying, but if hollywood took most of these suggestions, we'd be paying to watch reality. the point of movies is to show the stuff thats funny and interesting and romantic or whatever and cut out the boring every day stuff.

someday ill make a movie with all these fixes. when the doorbell rings, the camera will sit on the door for 30 seconds. when people go to dinner, we'll watch them chew every last bite. dont worry, well get to see them trying to flag down that waitress. when something is paid for, we'll watch that vendor count out exact change. then we'll watch the character recount the change to make sure he didnt get screwed. what a thriller thatll be. after 2 hours of pointless every day dealings, the character will confront the horrible villain. of course the villain will have to be a random mugger since therell be no time for character development. and the climax will consist of the fraction of a second it takes for a bullet to travel from the gun to the character.

the sad thing is, as an art student, thats a movie i could probably get away with making. excuse me, i have to go find a camera'

http://www.imdb.com/...&p=15#157150872

tounge.gif

Although I do hate when actors play characters who smoke yet don't smoke properly, either smoke right or don't smoke at all.

Darrel
  • Darrel

Reported!

• Members

Posted 19 October 2010 - 06:31 AM Edited by Darrel, 19 October 2010 - 07:01 AM.

Oh there are lots, some of these are cliches, that i have noticed recently or over the years. But i find them annoying/funny.

1) When a character enters a bar, and the bartender asks what they will have they always say " A beer" Not a certain type of beer... just a beer. Like the bartender instantly knows what beer they desire. ( Noticed this from Psycho 3 recently and then thought how often it happens in movies)

2) When a strike to head occurs no matter how minor, the person will likely lose consciousness

3) In prison in movies or TV there must be corrupted guard

4) The movies that try too hard to pull off that big twist

5) Characters that are tied up by rope somehow always manage to get free.

6) Drug deals rarely go according to plan.

7) Whenever the villain of the movie has captured the hero, instead of killing the hero immediately he will give the hero a detailed description of how he plans to destroy the planet etc. Thus, resulting in the good guy having enough time to think up an escape plan.

8) Bullets fired at guys hidden behind corners never travel past and miss.. they always hit the edge of the walls near the characters head.

9) Comdies that end with weddings!! I can name a few off the top of my head. Hitch, I love you man, The hangover, The 40 year old virgin.

10) The female all alone with the killer on the loose, but the boyfriend or love interest grabs her shoulder from out of nowhere and scares the crap out of her.

makeshyft i see, that explains why they do this in movies then. Nothing unusual. I just thought it was silly tounge.gif

makeshyft
  • makeshyft

Cyclop have 9 years

• The Precinct

Posted 19 October 2010 - 06:55 AM

QUOTE (Darrel @ Oct 19 2010, 16:31)
1) When a character enters a bar, and the bartender asks what they will have they always say " A beer" Not a certain type of beer... just a beer. Like the bartender instantly knows what beer they desire. ( Noticed this from Psycho 3 recently and then thought how often it happens in movies)

Happens in real life too, champ. In a lot of busier bars there's a thing called a 'first pour'. If someone asks for a beer without specifying which one, you give them the one designated as a first pour to save time with the whole, "what beer?" "what have you got?" rigmarole. Same deal with white and red wines, and all your basic spirits.

Terminus
  • Terminus

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 19 October 2010 - 09:12 AM

In 'Forgetting Sarah Marshall' when the main guy first meets Kunu the surfer, they talk. Every time that the cut back to the main character talking it alternated him with a drink in his hand, then him without one... rinse repeat for like 4-5 cuts.

Not so much annoying, but it was distracting.

Little William
  • Little William

Mangi PNG ya!!

• Members

Posted 06 November 2010 - 03:09 AM

QUOTE (lil weasel @ Oct 16 2010, 13:50)
the medium is teaching kids to panic and freeze, make as much noise as possible so the bad man can find you.
Something leading to survival of the fittest.

I agree. It is just so stupid and really not how RL people react.

Otter
  • Otter

sea dwelling madman

• Canada

Posted 06 November 2010 - 06:37 AM

Most of your points, weasel, are so trivial that they're not worth discussing. A few are genuine gripes, and the rest are just misconceptions. tounge.gif

Anyhow, I've got one. Inconsistent weapon damage. It drives me nuts when, for instance, a character survives a close-range grenade detonation. Then the same character will succumb to a knife attack. Or when someone takes a bullet, limps around for a while at first, but then gets better. Like you can walk off arterial bleeding. Heh.

One thing that annoys the f*ck out of me in TV shows is when the A story and B story show preternaturally strong parallels. Not only is it contrived, but it always feels like a ham fisted attempt to manufacture some sort of resonance. I can't even provide an example here. I mean, as a device, it has it's uses. And it even makes sense, if it's the same character in story A and story B (LOST's flashbacks, for instance). I'm way to hung over to explain myself properly here, but I'm sure at least one of you is pickin' up what I'm putting down. It's as cheap as a thunderstorm during an argument. Not without merit, but used far too often.

lil weasel
  • lil weasel

• Members
  • None

Posted 07 November 2010 - 08:26 PM

biggrin.gif I can agree...
How about when for no real reason the camera does a close-up on a key/pin/or other object. Of course at the end that item plays heavily in the story. Beats (the Agatha Christie) having a never mentioned moto_whistle.gif door become the exit for the killer in the drawing room murder.

Fnorg
  • Fnorg

OG

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 07 November 2010 - 08:30 PM

Chekov's gun, bro. Why introduce a story element if it's not going to have any impact in the following scenes? A close-up on a key that is of no importance to the story is just a waste of film.

Otter
  • Otter

sea dwelling madman

• Canada

Posted 07 November 2010 - 11:56 PM

QUOTE (Gronf @ Nov 7 2010, 12:30)
Chekov's gun, bro. Why introduce a story element if it's not going to have any impact in the following scenes? A close-up on a key that is of no importance to the story is just a waste of film.

I disagree. It could be a red herring, of sorts. Chekhov was such a stick in the mud.

The-King
  • The-King

[Rekt Intensifies]

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 08 November 2010 - 01:03 AM

QUOTE (Otter @ Nov 7 2010, 17:56)

I disagree. It could be a red herring, of sorts. Chekhov was such a stick in the mud.

In a way I agree, it's kind of bothersome when stories do that whole grand coincidence thing where some seemingly innocuous object has some hidden significance which is made really apparent by the framing of the object in early scenes and it somehow becomes the single most important object later on after the story develops.

Fnorg
  • Fnorg

OG

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 08 November 2010 - 02:16 PM

QUOTE (Otter @ Nov 8 2010, 00:56)

Could be, sure, but that's not how I interpreted his post. If the key has had close-ups and actually does open the door at the end, it's a gun.

Scratch that, I'm finding it hard to put this into words.

Otter
  • Otter

sea dwelling madman

• Canada

Posted 08 November 2010 - 05:06 PM

No, I think I get you. He was complaining about obvious cutaways to objects that will undoubtedly be used later in the story. This is less a case of Chekov's gun, and more a question of subtlety, I think. If we draw a comparison between the screen and the stage, a cut away or close up to said object in a film would be the equivalent of a character on the stage waving the object around in front of the audience.

Menaced
  • Menaced

• Andolini Mafia Family

Posted 08 November 2010 - 06:14 PM

Black guys always die first.

Nah, actually I find that pretty funny.

lil weasel
  • lil weasel

• Members
  • None

Posted 15 November 2010 - 03:09 AM Edited by lil weasel, 16 November 2010 - 04:14 AM.

'Black Guys die first'.... You mean stuff like the Red Shirt (StarTrek) and the New Guy (Combat, Gallant Men...)

How about Not centering on the 'key' as the only object. but rather scan across the table showing the key with other objects, as a person might be expect to see?

I really hate those oh so common closeups where you can't see the persons forehead and chin. WHY do we have to get so personal with the actor. Is it an advert for their cosmetics?
It must be really terrible to see on the Big Screen...

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users